Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I doubt that IQ brag is real if this is his opinion on what being a police officer is

Starsfan posted:

I mean I know that this dude is already getting torn up for his ridiculous twitter handle but yeah.. if my job entailed me doing things that would get me sent to jail for 40 years for doing them outside of my work, I would probably quit my job right away.

Yeah, the problem is this cop wasn't doing his job, he was violating the rules. To people like that shitstain the cops are there to murder anyone that doesn't mesh with their view of society

happyhippy posted:

Was it with Floyd's death that the police themselves turned up and clapped for the cop the day after?
Or was it another death they did this.

I think they were too busy tear gassing people outside the day after. That's what kicked off the violence in the first protest

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly, i wouldn't be shocked with either. i could see trump being legit degusted on some level when watching a man get murdered and saying as much. but also "law and order"/etc.

I can guarantee you this will not happen. For that to happen Trump would need some form of empathy for people other than him. He can't even give that to his own direct family outside of his daughter kinda sorta because he wants to bang her

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

cr0y posted:

How in the cinnamon toast gently caress do police see one of their own basically get the book thrown at them and then immediately think "Pulling a gun and shooting at this child will go my way"

Jesus Christ

poo poo can all of them, I'll take our chances with either mobs or a military occupation.

Because for a lot of them they're conditioned to believe they are above the law and will walk. The world is changing faster than their brains can adapt. It's like watching the slaughter of the US Civil War because while the technology advanced to make better guns, the tactics remained the same from an era of lovely guns.

chinigz posted:

I agree but what does de-escalation look like in this scenario when someone is actually swinging a knife at a victim? if there is space and time to verbally de-escalate or back off etc then they ought to do that but here?

If within range? Taser. Outside of this, it doesn't look like a situation where "dump till they drop" seemed like it was needed. Yeah, Bryant was a threat to the safety of others, but again, this doesn't warrant execution by cop

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 21, 2021

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The sad thing is I've seen the same attitude but for serious on right leaning youtube vids over the verdict. Righties are really pissed off a cop went to prison for murdering a dude

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 22, 2021

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Alhazred posted:

I honestly think it's weird that Norwegian cops are able to stop armer assailants by shooting them In the legs while American cops are forced to always shoot to kill.

To be honest I think america has a positive feedback loop. Cops say they are justified to shoot to kill because the perp might have a gun. At the same time the people that back the cops are the same that have shitloads of guns and don't want any restrictions.

Charlz Guybon posted:

What was their justification for that one?

Likely to prevent people from suing the cops because they didn't prevent *insert crime here* as it was happening. Take this teen that got killed. If the cops rolled up and tasered her but it didn't stop her, the family of the other girl might try to sue the pigs for not stopping the crime. Basically qualified immunity from lawsuit

Kalit posted:

He was literally drawing his gun when she ran right by him. If he had grabbed her instead of drawing his gun, it could have been avoided. I queued up this video so you can see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjf-6xcjkbA&t=60s

I thank you for linking that, I'd only seen the stills till now. Watching the vid i can see how this plays out, I think some are putting a god level request on the cop. They showed up and had seconds to try and evaluate the situation before berserker blows past the cop to attack pink. I still think 4 bullets is excessive, but i can see why the cops really couldn't do much prior to that moment.
This was definitely a no win for the pigs. They either shoot her before she injures/kills someone and we get what we're doing here. Or he lets her injure/kill someone and everyone goes "Why didn't they do something?!" It'd be a tragedy either way

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 22, 2021

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ryde posted:

Don't remember anything about Tamir Rice but I'm going to guess its also police just straight up murdering people because thats a reasonable default position to take these days.

I watched the vid. Kid's sitting on a bench toying with a BB gun, the cops roll up, jump out and immediately unload into him...like barely out of the car unload into him

Jaxyon posted:

I'm saying:

- Don't ever, ever, EVER trust the cops even if there's video. They never ever get the benefit of the doubt.

In this incident it would have to be deep faked video to be "cop bad". He literally gets out of his cruiser as the conflict escalates and has like 3 seconds to figure out what's going on and get things under control before the knife is heading into pink girl's throat. That's a hell of a faked video if that's not what happened and the officer that faked it should work for the movie industry

There's reasonable skepticism and then there's nutbar skepticism.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 22, 2021

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Owlspiracy posted:

cops routinely shoot innocent bystanders and each other. remember this?

they hit nine bystanders. the cops faced no consequences.

UPS driver. some armed dudes hijacked a UPS truck, got stuck in traffic. The cops surrounded the truck, used other cars and people as shields, shot the suspects, the UPS driver that got out of the truck, and managed to hit a few people in cars.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Gumball Gumption posted:

Uhhh yeah, that would be better.

Watch the video. I'm not sure where you think the cop could deploy a baton or pepper spray from ten feet away at the least within 3 seconds

Josef bugman posted:

Why? Why draw the line there?

Uh, because he's able to determine the difference between defending people and outright executing them.
Every one of your posts has been terrible and stupid. I really don't care if i eat a probe for saying that

NoDamage posted:

It has been asserted multiple times in this thread, yes, but I don't find this assertion particularly convincing. Yes, tasers can sometimes fail. Guns can also fail when the shooter misses or accidentally hits someone else. Considering that outcome in the "successful" scenario with a gun likely results in someone's death, I don't think we should be so eager to hand wave away tasers or other less lethal options.

Thing is, bullets tend to travel where they're aimed from a distance. Taser probes tend to be less accurate the further the distance because they spread. so that's another angle to take on this.

willie_dee posted:

Are you comparing all police shootings with this exact scenario of shot. Large target, close range, car as a back stop, etc etc?

Not much of a defense here. That dude that got shot in the back point blank getting into his car, he only caught four of the cop's bullets, the others went elsewhere. Part of the problem with mag dumping, the gun recoils with each shot and you don't give yourself enough time to re-aim. Girl in pink was directly behind Bryant plus two others nearby

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Vahakyla posted:

Solving issues by litigation and insurance is a pretty american thing. You can't sue doctors for millions in Europe, yet the health care is better. I don't disagree with you as much as I think that it is a completely wrong avenue to try to fix it. Because I believe it doesn't fix it, but only alleviates.

Well, the healthcare in the US is good too, but, the whole money angle is what makes it suck. Suing over it for millions is part of that price tag at times. Same with suing the cops, you're just suing the city, essentially, which is why services the city provides gets their budget cut, or taxes go up. Being able to sue or not doesn't make things better and it doesn't make the skill of service worse, it just makes things a bit more out of reach for people that need it