Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Red Oktober posted:

Are there other industries where a round of applause is expected for a job well done? Asking for a friend.

and there's no way i'm the first to make that joke.

Pilots for Ryan Air and Aer Lingus flights get them a lot for landing the plane, but maybe that is just an Irish thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Britcops and Gardai both knew where the real bomb in that case was and both avoided mentioning it to Ulster, so there's blood on those hands too.

My understanding of the Omagh bombing (as summed up by the Judge in a court case) was essentially that the plan was for a Car Bomb to be driven and parked outside the court house in Omagh for Saturday afternoon.

The problem was when the guy tried to do this, somebody had already parked their car there and the car bomb got parked down the street and not at the designated spot.
Then the command section calls in the warning with the registered code word, but its based on the car being in court house not the second place in down town Omagh.

As soon as the authorities get the warning, they start moving people away from the courthousr, unaware that they are funneling people towards where the actual car bomb is in downtown.

A horrible situation and I'm not justifying what happened, but I think it's an example that sometimes tiny real world things (like not being able to get a parking space) can have huge unintended consequences.

Also I find it funny how the BBC are reporting it as "the Queen says no prosecutions of are brave bois." While Irish media are saying the opposite.

Queen's Speech has no mention of Troubles amnesty but Boris Johnson says plans coming 'in due course' https://jrnl.ie/5434082

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 11, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Not full story. I am from just outside Omagh, if it was 20 minutes later I would have been there, if it was 20 minutes earlier my brother would have been in the area.
First a geography lesson about Omagh. The court is at the top of High Street. This continues down a hill, up a hill, to traffic lights. This then still continues but is now Market Street.
Market street goes down the hill, to another set of traffic lights.

The big grey building at the back is the Court House.
The set of traffic lights up the hill is where High Street ends and Market Street begins.
Where the cops are standing in the pic are the second set of traffic lights.

So the IRA fuckwits park the car at the end of Market Street, and phone it in saying its on High Street. Parked it at the wrong set of traffic lights basically.

The side ways away from the streets is not great to evacuate people, so they tell everyone to go down the Market Street, where they had cordoned it off.
The hill between them and where they thought the car bomb was would protect them. They thought it was parked around where the pointy roof place is in middle of the pic.
But they didn't know it was parked 10m beside them.

Not the police's fault, just the dumb chuckie farmer bastards that didn't know the area.

I didn't mean to imply in anyway that it wasn't a terrible, senseless act of violence. It absolutely was. All the people injured or killed by it were victims who very much did not deserve what had happened to them.
Seeing the pictures do help to better understand the geography of what had happened. In re-reading the reports, if these guys had mobile phone (and I think it was proven that they did and there was proof that there had been mobile phone traffic at the time.) it was well within their power to communicate that they hadn't parked in the right spot or to modify the warning to be given. And it wasn't done.

On a side note, even though I'm not from the North, my family and I were in the North on the 15th of August 1998 and were initially planning on going to Omagh for lunch that day. Suffice to say, when we were getting close we were stopped by the police and advised to go to another town.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And turn up in a poppy onesie with a union jack umbrella hat.

And there, you thought I was joking:

And now I'm going to shoot my poppies up your backside.

(This photo was later used in evidence against the husband where he was found d guilty and sentenced to death by hanging.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

IllusionistTrixie posted:

Consider "bum" an Americanism for homeless person, and it gets a lot less fun. Yes, its an actual "blood sport" yes it really happens.

"I will give you money for food (will actually not give), if you beat this other person so senseless they need to be hospitalized."

There is a hierarchy in America when it comes to bums. Because of course there is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo

Wikipedia posted:

A hobo is a migrant worker or homeless vagrant, especially one who is impoverished. The term originated in the Western—probably Northwestern—United States around 1890. Unlike a "tramp", who works only when forced to, and a "bum", who does not work at all, a "hobo" is a traveling worker.

In other news, BoJo has said sorry that the British Army murdered a bunch of people in Northern Ireland during the Troubles.

He's so sorry about it, that he wants to stop any soldiers for being prosecuted for any of these wrongdoings. Again, he's so sorry.

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1392519903958163457?s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Also bear in mind that Johnson allegedly said he would rather see bodies piled high than do another Lockdown, and you would be right to have some doubts about the current course of action. He might be doing the correct thing, but he's hardly a neutral actor willing to fairly weigh up the pros and cons of both sides.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Not to stan for Stammer, but there is another reason why he might not be wearing a wedding ring.
If you put on weight (and we aren't talking massive amounts of weight.) It can sometimes just end up distributed on the parts of you hands/fingers near where you wear your ring.
You don't even end up with big sausage fingers, but you can have build ups that make wearing rings hard or painful.

And the photos of Keir over the last few years have shown him looking less and less healthy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So, story about mice and traps.

I live in a converted farm house, so mice are really common. Even with two cats, a dog and my parents have a cat*, mice are plentiful.
In early 2020 the mice started getting into my attic in numbers that were very loud and notable.

I decided to deploy traps but my wife insisted on only using humane traps. I agreed to this.

My first attempt was to take a bucket trap (basically a very deep bucket with wooden ramps built onto the side and a qualplex pipe that ran across the top.) and remove the water from it so they wouldn't drown. I covered the pipe with peanut butter so it acted like an event from Gladiators. It ended up catching about three mice (who were all released into the fields outside alive) before it stopped working. I think the peanut butter on the pipe got too sticky and the mice could use that for purchase.

My next trick was to get these humane mouse traps from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Old-Tjikko...1091669&sr=8-12

These worked really well and had the plus side of looking like a prison you would put the mouse leader of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in.

So what I did was got a bunch of these traps and baited them with either grated cheese, Peanut Butter or Peanut Butter mixed with Nutella.
It worked a treat. What I started doing was tagging the mice with Nail Varnish on their toes so I could check any mice that were caught again to confirm that they weren't the same mice getting back into the house. I would then release the mice into either the nearby fields, before starting to drive further down the road to release them in fields in the middle of the countryside.

Basically I caught and released about 40-50 mice using this method. In all the time I did it, only one mouse came back with Nail Varnish on their toes and that was one who was released in a nearby field instead of the one from down the road.

The impression I got was, killing the mice would have been pointless because new mice were getting in all the time. I eventually found a few holes in the insulation of the attic that I filled with expanding foam and that seemed to stop them.

In the last few months, more mice have shown up, but these ones aren't getting trapped in the humane mouse trap. I don't know if it's because they smell too much of other mice ( I have washed them thoroughly) they don't like the peanut butter inside them or if their ancestors told them tales of the cruel human wizard with their force traps.

* = And this cat is an Apex Predator/Great White Hunter. Mice, Birds, Moore Hens, Ducklings, Rabbits? He's hunted and killed them all. I haven't ever seen him catch a bat, but my smaller cat did it once, so I think he probably could do it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So remember those two guys held in Glasgow?

Looks like they were legally entitled to be in the country.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/immigration-raid-home-office-glasgow-b1848079.html

Might be a case for unlawful imprisonment. As well as Defamation of their character.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is an excellent point and one I've had bitter arguments about with people both left and right. So much writing about the Holocaust and genocide in general is based on the idea that either there was a unique cruelty on the part of the group carrying out the atrocities or that some once-in-a-lifetime charismatic leader hypnotised otherwise lovely people into murdering their neighbours.

The lesson you should learn is that this poo poo can happen anywhere, at any time, the moment you start viewing any group as less deserving of basic rights. It's one of the few times that the slippery slope argument is absolutely 100% true - the moment you start legislating that one group is inferior to another it's a really short, and extremely steep, path to genocide.

I think the best lesson to learn from it is when Thomasin McKenzie is talking to Scarlett Johanson about JoJo.
She says that he's a Nazi, she says he's just a ten year old boy. All he wants to do is go to a club and hang around with others.

And I think that's one of the best things to take into account. The idea of fascism being a seductive group that looks for people who are feeling isolated. They aren't the main target, but that is how they get their numbers up.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Trickjaw posted:

Here's a nasty little scam. I know most of you beautiful speculums are already snapped up, but some of us have to use dating sites. There has been honestly about 15 people who have tried this on me on Grindr (I know), but if its not someone with an onlyfans channel, you get asked if you have registered on the ghrlgbt site, to prove you are not an abusive rapist, accompanied by suitably gruesome images of the person so beaten they are naturally hard to recognise.

I have two problems, because scammers will scam, but don't pretend to be representing human rights. Also, you have to provide a card. Like monsters don't have a credit rating.

I wouldn't ever have a problem proving I'm not a berserk beast, but, it really makes me mad that its representing abuse as a selling point.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/enterprise/grindr-messaging-scam-ireland

Sounds nasty since it is both
A) Manipulative, playing on your desire to be a "good person with nothing to hide." So of course you'd sign up.
B) Directs you to a professional and friendly looking website to assuage your fears that this is a scam.

I think a key part (from looking at screen shots) is they talk about making sure your not on a list.)

But under Irish Law, there is no list. Even the Sex Offenders Register is something that people can't access. (Even Garda have a hard time being able to use it to confirm if people are still at the address they said they would be at.)
So it's using people's lack of knowledge/ half remembered info from American TV of the system against them.

I wonder if this was how they got into the HSE for the recent Cyber Attacks?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There are informal lists that aren't part of the law and justice system, such as the National Ugly Mugs list for people who are violent towards sex workers.

Like many things within sex work, it doesn't carry weight of law but it does carry weight of looking out for each other.

Once in a while, someone will propose doing the same for domestic violence etc., so it's not beyond reason that people would charitably assume someone had done similar for gay men dating online for similar reasons.

Unfortunately in this case it's someone preying on those charitable assumptions.

While I can understand why people in any workplace would want a Black List of people to avoid, it runs into the problem with any system that has no oversight. Anyone can set one up.
Including predatory scammers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

The inexplicable smash mouth cameo at the end of rat race is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen

E: I mean come on what were they thinking, still kills me every time 20 years later

https://youtu.be/YJ6vtpmVzPw

No lie, when I watched that film in this cinema, this was my experience.

Kid: Oh my God! It's Smashmouth!

Me: (louder than I intended so it became audible.) Who?

(The audience of about 8 people in the cinema loudly laugh.)

Fin.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

In Norse mythology, elves have crazy fertility magic and can mate with any creature. Though humans and elves do have a shared origin (we both come from the corpse of the dead giant Ymir) the potential for making half elves is magical rather than biological.

And yes that does mean elf dwarves, elf trolls and elf giants. And, no, satyrs are not from this mythology.

This thread discussion is giving me the urge to dig out my copy of the D&D expansion "The Book of Erotic Fantasy" and to post the table of different species fertility rates and odds of producing cross-species children.

Do we really need to go there?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A lot of it comes from the bible and Methuselah etc, the idea that the 'original' humans were taller, lived longer and things were better in them days.

This also comes from Ancient Greece, where the idea was there had been a Golden/Silver/Bronze Age of humans.

I'm sure other myths also had similar stories, which if you subscribe to the idea of similar myths all over the world being a part of older human culture that might pre-exist life on Earth (real "Chariots of the Gods" stuff) it becomes really interesting.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I always find that one a bit difficult to buy when corpses exist, which are a far more obvious and available thing to be unnerved by than neandertals.

Maybe it was a racial memory of being afraid of Cylons from before we fled the 12 Colonies to Earth.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So about the BBC thing, did Martin Bashir have an established career before he pulled off the Princess Diana interview? Or was his career made by getting that interview?

Since if it's the later, his timid apology is even more hollow if it breaks down into "yes I broke all journalist ethics and lied. But I made my career and fortune having done this, so what are you going to do about it?"

In other news, I saw this on my news feed.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/priti-patel-joins-police-raids-people-smugglers-arrested-nca-b936270.html

Is this not just Priti Patel pulling a John Terry? Like if she shows up with the people who did the work, and get photographed does she hope that she will fool people into thinking that she played a part?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

I think I’d have more/any sympathy for the ‘society is broken let’s riot’ viewpoint if they hadn’t also put through the windows on a house with screaming children inside.

I Googled the Swansea Riot to see for myself.
A number of the videos featured "a dog being set on fire."
I decided that I didn't need to see that, so for anyone going to look into the riots be forewarned that is circulating.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

jabby posted:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/dog-appeared-flames-not-been-20650824

The video of the dog supposedly on fire is linked, it's just an orange dog lit up by police van headlights that got circulated on twitter in low-res video. No dogs were set on fire.

That is a relief to know that no dogs (or other animals) were set on fire.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gut problems generally were a surprisingly rare way to die before cholera came over in the 19th century, considering the whole "making GBS threads in your drinking water" thing that Londoners have always been so keen on:

Wind (what a way to go - history doesn't recall if a naked flame was also involved): 8
loose and you were unable to get out of the way in time.

I was wondering about this. It might not have been farting yourself to death.

It could have been this?

https://youtu.be/jgNHi35ICIc

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

multijoe posted:

Wonder if this is to be another case where all types of crazy poo poo comes out now the threat if libel is gone

Well the Independent.co.uk’s report on his death only mentions him as being a F1 boss and nothing about all the fascist stuff. So they seem to be still afraid of his reputation.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Question for more knowledgeable folks itt, what's the law on lockpicking tools in the UK again? I've been considering getting some for when I lock myself out etc. (the front lock in our shared house is super lovely), but I'm not sure in how much trouble would that get me?

(From the position of an Irish lawyer, but I am reasonably confident that English law on this area would be similar. As always if you suffer adverse reactions, like going to jail, contact an English lawyer.)

While having lockpicks is not illegal per-say, if they were found on your person in a public place during a search you could be charged with Possession of an Implement with the Intention that it be used in the commission of an offence.
It is a Reverse Onus offence. Namely if caught with one, the onus is on you to prove you had it for a lawful reason.
Most of the time they catch people with say screwdrivers or crowbars and the person would have to prove that they had it for a lawful reason (IE I am a tradesman/theoretical physicist, this is a tool I require.)

A lockpick would be a harder sell, as the only reason to have one would be to pick a lock*.

The best way I could see of getting proof in advance that you have them for a lawful reason would be to see if there is a lock picking society that you could join. Having their card would go some way towards proving that you are a lock picking enthusiast and not just a criminal type. Maybe even go to the trouble of recording yourself picking the lock to your own home sometime (along with detailed indication that the house in your video is your own. Hold up a letter with said address next to the sign for the house, etc...)

This way if you were ever brought to court, your counsel could produce said video/membership of lockpicking society as evidence to back your contention that the lock picks are for your own use on your front door and not for some more nefarious purpose.

The biggest snag I see is if you are renting and not the home owner, then the question becomes do you own the locks to said house and would the act of lockpicking not be seen as criminal damage to said locks.

* = As always, I must post this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFhpctuUwb4

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah that's a troubling statement from a lawyer, unless it's one of those very funny legal jokes

It's less a joke and more a case of the dangers of phone posting while waiting to pick up my dinner from a takeaway. My bad.

Though it does remind me of a friend who used to say "Ever Dently" instead of "Evidently" and got into the habit of doing it as an inside joke.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a solid theory, but the weather is just as bad in Ireland and we're slightly less miserable and alcoholic

Are you saying we are slightly less miserable AND Alcoholic? Or we are slightly less miserable AND slightly less alcoholic?
I'm not sure I'd agree with the second.

A friend of mine moved over to England a few years ago. He said one thing he noticed over there was how rarely people would make eye contact with each other when walking around outside. It was bad in Towns and non-existent in cities particularly in London.
Where as even in Dublin, you are likely to run into someone you know and stop to talk to them. (At least in the pre-pandemic times.)

Maybe Atomization and personal disconnection has hit England pretty hard.

Also you can't get Breakfast Rolls, Chicken Fillet Rolls or Spice Bags in the UK (and I never could when I went looking for them in Glasgow) so maybe it's the lack of a stodgy breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Taken fron the Political Cartoon thread.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bessantj posted:

When will this dairy Londondairy based violence end?!

Fixed that for you.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

This relates to something I was talking to my Sister-in-law about.

In our current society, Plants are the new Pets. Pets are the new children.
And children are either an unaffordable luxury we can't have, or treated like your best mate. Just too young to go to the pub with.

Some people are really protective of their pets.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Yes that makes sense. In general kids should have plenty of agency I think.

With kids, you do give them agency. But I part it has to be earned. Not out of some desire to control their lives.
But because they literally don't know better and are relying on you to teach them how the world works.

And that's not their fault, they don't emerge fully formed or have all information downloaded into their minds. They need to have things taught to them, and as a parent you need to do a fine balancing act between not letting them become dependent on you/giving instruction/not smothering their sense of self and dozens of other areas.
With kids it is trust, but verify.

What I was getting at earlier is less "most parents are doing a bad job raising their kids" and more that more people are having plants and pets instead to fill voids in their lives.
Between a news story I read this week about people spending huge money on plants*, to the numbers of families who bought dogs during Lockdown (and often at mad puppy farm prices**.)

* = https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-lockdown-prompts-spending-on-gardening-to-hit-record-high-1.4504734

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/covid-lockdowns-turned-buying-plants-next-big-pandemic-trend-good-ncna1256223

** = https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/dog-days-the-pandemic-pooch-boom-takes-its-toll-1.4551242

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/news/fears-northern-ireland-being-exploited-by-english-puppy-farms-40289594.html

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

He can't be venom boris because he's killed that many people he wouldn't be able to fit in the commons chamber with the amount of metal sticking out of his head.

Venom Boris is Keir Stammer surgically altered and hypnotised into thinking he's a Tory Prime Minister.

Also they gave him a different set of clothes so there will be an actual difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

What the hell is it with the UK and terfs? We've got them here but everyone just tells them to shut the gently caress up. Why are there so drat many over there and how do they keep getting into positions of authority?

You'd think it would be worse in the US, because it was weaponized into "They want to be able to use Bathrooms without judgement. Which is just a front so they can legally do horrible things to your kids."

But no, they are all over the UK. I think it's down to the fact that the UK people, as a whole, just love the taste of boot. There are just so many people who are happy to talk about the rules, and the proper way or doing things and so on that if enough of the "right people" tell them something, they will go along with it.