Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

do you guys remember the super interesting BLC1 signal?

considering that this happened not long after that signal what if it was an SOS? and it will never be repeated because this thing killed any civ in the vicinity

https://www.space.com/amp/proxima-centauri-emits-largest-stellar-flare.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

what does disabled mean?
they somehow neutered the required atomic process for explosion? mechanically hosed with the bomb? beamed it up and subbed in some bananas?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

the only ground im willing to cede the military is that they wouldnt release footage from a system that they havent already sold to everyone else or know for a fact that said systems capabilities are already well known and anyone whose anyone has them.

there may be super HD stuff theyre sitting on that we will never see simply cos it was filmed via some classified system

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

In thirty years time, this entire incident will be a card in Twilight Struggle II.

OP 1

p sure its already in that Illuminatus card game by Steve Jackson lol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i never did get why society was supposed to fall into a screaming heap at the first sign of anything weird like aliens.

the fears of rioting and stock market fuckery and people turning into gibbering idiots is based on what really?

if i go full tinfoil hat and also assume that disclosure means someone has been hiding free energy, a way past the need for money, all that happy crappy and that it had been held back for decades for profit then maybe some places would experience extreme social unrest but cmon...people dont go insane at the sight of things that are strange.

why is this fairly unimaginative thought that we find other life and can talk with it going to break the back of the world in the first place?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I always remember a Signals Sgt in the army who was teaching our class on like, radio wave propagation or something. Dude flat-out told us that he'd picked up old radio transmissions from WWII and that was a known-occurrence for Sigs. Because the transmissions would go out into space, and ping around the loving galaxy for 70-odd years then miraculously come back to earth. He absolutely believed it and taught it to us as fact, even though it was complete obvious bullshit. And if you ever tried to question anything like this, they'd just pull rank and shut you down.

Anyway, I kinda always think of things like that when people tout mil-whoevers highly trained at whatever as being super-reliable sources. The military is full of loving morons who are often just blindly parroting whatever dumb poo poo they were taught.

e] I'm not saying I don't believe the Navy stuff, just that I take stufff with a big grain of salt I guess.

they never did get to the bottom of that. its pretty well documented that some signals take longer than they should for *reasons* that no ones ever worked out. it gets very fringe very quick too but is a valid riddle

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

WEH posted:

I dunno if I agree with War of the Worlds being the reason. People were a different kind of stupid back then, and were very much primed to go nuts about it in a way that no longer exists, imo.

Also the military absolutely has giant airships.

it did sound like a newcast, it was meant to sound real. all the discalimers before shows didnt help lol people thought they were hearing actual news and acted accordingly. and it was an invasion! nothing nice about those aliens

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

But think about what you know about like, manufacturing consent and getting people to do basic poo poo like show up to work or consider themselves part of a nation state that has goals and does political poo poo. Or even what gets people to like, work together outside that context whether it’s part of a job or a movement or family or whatever.

yeah this bit is the best i get to. and it seems important that its less "oh poo poo aliens better burn my town" and more "keep the blinkers on them" in which case any subsequent societal rage would have some context at least.

no one likes being told "you dont need to know" no matter how old you get to be.

Sleekly has issued a correction as of 06:27 on Jun 14, 2021

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

fanfic insert posted:

Humans have not been able to communicate with any other species other than teaching them tricks or to associate phrases with activities and we treat every other species terribly. I dunno what that means in the context but I'm sure there's some kind of inherent "we had it coming" sort of thing. Just think of the discourse around covid and how it's "the earth fixing us". We're just a really self loathing species I think.

collective guilt, though maybe earned is so very indulgent that its disgustingly probable actually yeah

collective being the thing there

i think a big chunk of people, not lots but not isolated either, but a lot still would become somewhat disconencted enough to cause problems for the money machine and day to day that maybe thats part of the issue

self loathing? how can u acknowledge human progress and politics and not be disgusted?

acknowledging you are a tiny cog and daring to think outside of whatever is enslaving you? this is dangerous aliens or no and always has been

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Log082 posted:

I'm imagining all of the Iranian pilots/military/intelligence people having the same arguments as this thread.

"It's clearly a CIA drone."
"It went Mach 10, if the CIA can do that we're hosed."
"You're both idiots. It was clear a bird."
"Birds don't shut down my radar."

this is probably most of the actual mil chat lol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

yvan eht nioj yall

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Loucks posted:

Where’s my report I want that alien pussy and/or dick ASAP.

It’s going to be a wet fart designed to suck even more funding into the mic, but we’re all used to disappointment by now and might as well enjoy the anticipation anyway.

anything more than a collective shoulder shrug would be way above expectations for me

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

that would be the worst....turbo nerds who are us

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

if someone grows up in artificial gravity what would they look like

artifical earth gravity? same as us but maybe theyd have funny ears or more/less webbed fingers i dunno

does artificial gravity push you down or pull you down?
and when the source of said gravity is just an engine room rather than a planets core then maybe weird poo poo would happen to those who born and live in it?

its a good question is the tl;dr

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

Captain's log: A new species has discovered warp drive technology and we have made first contact. We recommend suspending contact with for 2 generations after the humans were invited onto the USS Enterprise and almost immediately broke the replicator while demanding that it produce Ligma.

Captains log: so i was supposed to park the Enterprise for some meeting or something near Ye Olde Earth but i musta hit the button to time travel instead of park and now some mouthy dudes called the "United States" are all pissed

Kirk is gonna kill me when he sobers up

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Rah! posted:

cool and good UFO believers itt: "the report will probably not include much, if anything new, let alone proof of aliens, but that would be cool if it did. Also this lue guy looks like a fuckin weirdo"
sad and weak UFO debunkers: "wow look ur prophecy failed checkmate UFailures ur messiah is a fake" :smug:

lol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

it included the pre-eminemt mil force (excluding the nazis in antarctica and mayve the Atlanteans) saying "i dont know" which is more than i expected tbh

e: they said "i dont know" like 100 times with all their metal gear poo poo

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

no idea what is going on here but it loving stinks

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

WEH posted:

I know you know it's a thing but it's described over and over in NUFORC to a degree that even surprised me. Even if it's "just" a psychological phenomenon or something akin to leaded gasoline driving people nuts something wild is going on

if the ppl who say free will doesnt exist are correct then it also follows that a suitable knowledge and toolset focused on a person could "compel" them to go outside or whatever for a probin

it might also explain the dissonance ppl report like "i knew i should go inside but my body wasnt listening to me"

the kind of control the various alphabet guys would happily do anything for lol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

we'll get annihilation reactors too but no one will build them because of the waste

theyll put them in africa or antarctica

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

imagine being so scared that you have to be mick west
i feel sorry for the 10 year old who wets his bed at the thought of aliens. somethings broken inside there

10 year old me was all about getting abducted and seeing the galaxy and saucers and bigfoot and poo poo. being scared to death of all that poo poo is profoundly sad

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Wheeee posted:

we may be living an extremely narrow window of time, dominated by rigid post-enlightenment liberal scientism, during which alien contact would break minds

alien darwinism
cant make an omlette without breaking some eggs

oh

birds lay those

poo poo

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Butternubs posted:

What makes you think, if you get abducted, that they'll show you anything but the inside of the probeatorium?

I mean sure, If you get one of the vomit gel and sexy cat lady abductions, great. But what if you get one of the fire in the sky, needles in the eye, covered in gross brown gel types? not so fun.

hell of an adventure either way

edit: plus the certain knowledge. it might make you homeless if you spout off about it too much but assuming you survive itd certainly be something to live with

Sleekly has issued a correction as of 11:33 on Jul 3, 2021

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

crystals are just birdshit

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

for an old like me i cant overstate how this same narrative has been going on since forever. 1990 was forever ago gently caress u

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

oh yeah aus knows what to do with aliens

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

actually it is totally likely that some australian petty official ends up being responsible for disclosure due to just being a stubborn motherfucker over a parking ticket or some obscure emissions rule

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Google Butt posted:

oi mate a gray nicked me footy last night down in brisvegas

lol theyll gently caress up one of the various grand finals obviously and visibly and i promise the outrage will be on the result of the game and not the fuckin birds

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

the truck was rigged to blow remotely
two birds with one carbomb

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Google Butt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os1j_q6F4_s

someone is working on a craft capable of intercepting the next Oumuamua??

yep, it seems a cool idea
https://breakthroughinitiatives.org/initiative/3

mind you, by craft they mean a couple microchips, sensors, and camera attached to a sail. like the guts of your phone, weighing only a few grams.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Should shoot out like a hundred of these things

yeah thats the idea! and they should be able to get to very very fast speeds too. spray tech jizm all over and see what we can see.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i watched this and wtf theres actually a cosmic web?
the person posting about the Weaver was onto something!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

broke: FTL travel
woke: take the freeway dumbass

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

What is the aitee meme? I don't get the reference and it seems to be a meme here and on alien reddit

the larper said theyre coming "july aitee"

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

if they are like the birds around here they want shiny stuff, and to dive bomb my dog

hell now i think about it thats not a bad reason to brave interstellar space, more types of dog to play with, uh i mean catalogue, is a worthy goal

as for shinies who knows what they like? our adrenochrome prolly

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

wings flap

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

I give my life

not for honor

but for Lue

(bird eater)

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

none of this matters in a few days we shall join the galactic federation

ok so aitee happens, landings and greetings and baubles. welcome to the federation chumps! and an offer...anyone who wants to go see the galaxy can go. just go to your local park and board the tic tac and youre off.

would you go?

id go i think, another 40 odd years of living here or another 40 odd years of who knows what out there somewhere? id prolly gamble on that

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

bedpan posted:

un loving real that what has held back UFO disclosure for so many decades is that the born-agains think aliens are literally demons and devils out of the Bible

ikr? our fearless leaders and protectors when faced with any oppurtunity scream satan at it. itd be funny if it wasnt real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Zisky posted:

Yes, but the close encounters ending is far too optimistic.

no happy endings...but an adventure in space and possibly time! id take it even if it means certain death