Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This fucks my head right up more than anything. Government, let alone the loving Pentagon, never confirm poo poo about dick if it's unwillingly released.
I am so confused

It's a PsyOp bud, hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
:raise:

[kSH] the ops are in this thread I repeat the ops are in this thread abort abort

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Log082 posted:

what this all achieves

Very shortly after "disclosure" - stated as the reason for disclosure, now - the UFOs were designated as a national security threat. More money for defense contractors and justification for trillion dollar war toys; more security apparatus, surveillance, and civil rights foreclosure for the populace.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh it goes against messaging, oh my God then nevermind, jeez what was I thinking

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's certainly more the latter than the former, of the reasons I gave.

Are any other nations making similar disclosures?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Sleekly posted:

murphys laws apply all across the multiverse

all the millions of light years here without a hitch then a stupid problem presents

actually there was a theory that so many birds, despite their prowess, struggle with the way Earths inner atmosphere magnetic field changes all the time. a problem largely invisible to all but a couple instruments on our aircraft but if your whole engine setup relies on a stable magnetic field as a base....then trawling around in low Earth atmosphere is gonna gently caress you up

https://v.redd.it/54y30zr592h81

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Is there a reading list for this thread?

EDIT: I will accept Woo.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Feb 11, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Not so much reading but you can definitely join some of us on the hemi-sync adventures.

Explain?

I tried doing astral projection a long time ago now. I've tried again since but not with the same discipline and vigor (one-offs). My experiments ended last time when I couldn't get past the "vibration" phase. Vibration my rear end felt like I was being swung in a hammock across the length of the room. You try staying calm through that. Anyway I should try again, yes yes. Any techniques the thread favors?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Sleekly posted:

Monroe found this thing where you can achieve weird poo poo via (i typoed cia lol) audio and semi meditation states that involves headphones and different sound pulses on the left and right to get both side in sync. hemi sync. you can find the collection easily.

the cia were involved with the program and were involved with his institute quite overtly actually. but some of us are playing with his stuff. i have reservations considering its heritage but its interesting poo poo

I used music in my astral attempts! I'd stick to instrumental ambient or prog-rock type stuff. An important key to achieving an appropriate state of relaxation was allowing your mind to run with the music and create images without your conscious input. This was tricky since it's easy to fall asleep doing this, but the music helped keep you awake.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
There's a Grey on stage with Mary J Blige for the SB halftime. Stay woke

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Candidates for non-human persons (apes): chimpanzees, orangutans, gibbons, bonobos. Too closely related to matter or be cool.

Candidates for non-human persons (mammals): dogs, pigs, elephants, whales, and dolphins (officially designated as non-human persons by the Indian government). Fairly closely related.

Candidates for non-human persons (other): some cephalopods, Corvidae family (all?). Not very closely related.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Phenomenological consciousness and its relative noumenal consciousness are what we're interested in when we talk about sapience (scientific/philosophical claim) or personhood (political claim). Otherwise consciousness is yes pretty ubiquitous in the world. Plants have a type of it also, for example.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Sleekly posted:

when we are good we are very very good
but when we are bad we are loving beyond rotten

It takes years of study and hundreds of hours of work to produce a beautiful work of art that I can destroy in roughly 20 seconds.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Bilirubin posted:

lol Teilhard de Chardin again

lmao came here to say this

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Zoobtro posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who saw this

The stage was trailer park homes. The entire set was a NOPE ad. Everything's an ad these days though it's still pretty astonishing how much promotion the movie got during the Super Bowl.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Oh gosh
there's a whole build-up process to setting up how to build your protective bubble and putting out very clear messages that you're only open for positive interactions and stuff

so I guess it is good to know that stuff is actually useful lest you get heckled by the frat aliens who wish their pet apes ascended rather than these useless humans who spend all day on their phones

Yeah I came back after trying it to report that the OP needs to put their fears in the drat box.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Only in the beginning? Well I haven't done anything after the first session but the narration didn't stay in the right ear whole time for that.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Are they meant to be done one day after the next? Don't know if I should go back to first session or move on after skipping a day.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I read somewhere that someone decided to look and see if other animals have handedness like we do, and it seems like by far most don't but some do, and in some animals it's actually reversed, with left handed being more common than right handed. In other animals that have this they also have some difference in brain hemispheres like we do. IIRC overall most animals are not particularly handed and don't have much hemisphere difference. Supposedly there's some connection to having a dominant eye as well? Idk.

Even more weird is that the only animals that have a corpus callosum connecting their brain parts are placental mammals, but a lot of the animals that don't have it have something else that apparently does a similar job?
What was the animal that has a placenta but not a corpus callosum, or vice versa? How did these two traits get linked together?

Monotremes and marsupials are the exceptions. They're egg laying and pouch rearing, respectively, so that tracks in a sense. Interesting!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Bilirubin posted:

But no corpus callosum or placenta, and only monotremes lay eggs.

To find a combination of one without the other we need to find ways to reanimate stem group eutherian fossils. And if we can do that I would like to put in a vote for Morganucodon--I realize it won't help with the present question, but they are so loving cool looking

I said respectively :mad: I meant they are the mammals which are the exceptions to having a corpus callosum, meaning that the placenta is necessary for the corpus callosum and being mammalian isn't sufficient. There are no placental animals without a corpus callosum.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Riot Bimbo posted:

i sincerely like, really hope that if we have aliens here that they're just meat bags that have cool ftl tech, and not interdimensionals

the latter thing has so many wide ranging implications for what they are and historic contact between them and us that it is kinda terrifying

You're assuming there's only one kind making contact. It may not be either/or.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I need a thread relevant book available in PDF to read on my screen at work instead of working. Legal PDFs only of course. :)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Objurium posted:

The interview I was talking about is the first time I've heard him talk to an actual ufologist and I get the sense that while he's also a nerd and can rattle off different cases of note, he doesn't necessarily have a lot of patience for ufology as a culture. It felt like he was getting politely frustrated that the host wasn't really asking him questions of substance.

I never finished it and thought I had heard this in passing but that's rad it's confirmed. I wonder if that makes 'Tyler' Jacques Vallee?

Cracked it open today just recently and Vallee is mentioned by name immediately.

efb!!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
They're just not interested in peace, love, and harmony. It's not really so unbelievable is it? Power and control aren't unattractive to you, certainly there would be some with ever greater affinities towards the pair.

Anyway it's not as though "evil" or "negative" have no place here. They are instruments against which to refine yourself if you're oriented in a "positive" direction.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm the guy who stepped out of his house at 3AM cause she wanted to piss over the rocks while the wind caressed his rear end.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Do you know Jack Parsons?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
He was a prominent Thelemite and Caltech affiliate who co-founded NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the Aerojet Engineering Corporation. He was blacklisted by McCarthyism and left his positions. He died at 37 in a home lab explosion.

There's a JPL research project that I want to highlight here: https://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/shroud.html Its investigation into the Shroud of Turin, which is still on NASA's website. Although this was 1978 and Parsons wasn't involved, only two members of JPL were involved. But it is curious.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I just want to say in contrast to Riot Bimbo I believe all aliens are benevolent and I will trust them completely.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Wrote this after messing around with Randonautica some time ago, it's the most mindblowing experience I've had:

quote:

I decided to do an attractor (an attractor is a point determined from a cluster of QRNG points) chain (a chain is simply setting an attractor, traveling to it, and setting a new attractor from that location, traveling to that one, repeat as many times as you like) from a radius of 1000m from my then apartment.

I set off to the first point and there wasn't much of note there. It was under an overpass with train tracks and there was a mural there with an Indian chief and a train. I set my next location.

Bright colors, rainbows, butterflies, and owls (the significance of this, if you choose to ascribe it, is the frequency with which rainbows, butterflies, and especially owls turn up during randonauting as reported on the sub and in chats; but to me it's too tenuous to ascribe more meaning than is due) murals dot the path on my walk to the next location. I arrive at the actual point.

Bumpkiss! Nothing of note really whatsoever. The point itself couldn't be reach as it was behind a tall fence, nothing of interest was near the point nor did any interesting events unfold (also a possibility). I set my next point.

I'm taken to a strange little section of the city, not much traveled by foot given its locale. I'm across the street from the point and spot a cup tucked in a warped fence, as if the fence were cupholder. I thought it random and interesting and snapped a picture (I have to dig it up so not including here out of laziness, I promise it's not that interesting). But the point itself was across the street and there at the point I saw a restaurant called Restaurant. Very curiously the restaurant shared a building with a tire shop on its left and a car wash on its right. The large windows were dark, though it was daytime, and the interior unilluminated so I couldn't see inside. Naturally I had to go in, needing to resist my trepidation to do so. I resolved to get a water, it was a hot day, and went inside.

The inside was dark and there were long buffet tables with empty trays. There was no one behind the counter. It was empty save for two women seated across from each other in the middle of the restaurant at a circular table having a conversation in Spanish (I'm fluent). The one on the left had a red patterned skirt, she appeared to be in her 40s and, curiously for her age, she had a labret piercing. The other woman was quite simple and nothing about her stood out, she was of a similar age to the other woman. Now the women there on the left, appearing to me like something of a witch, addressed me:

"You cut your hair!"

And I had, in fact, cut my hair. Just the day before. So this really took me by surprise. It seemed impossible that she would not only know this but say it as the first words from her lips, with a familiarity that was, of course, unwarranted. I responded with the same confusion I felt:

"How do you know that?"

She said, "Your hair was so long! And now you've cut it!"

And this, too, was true. I had, until a year and a half prior, donned waist-length long hair, which I cut after five years for a corporate position. I wondered if I knew her, or if she knew me, and I simply did not recognize her.

"Yes, I cut it a while ago now. But I did also have a haircut yesterday."

She looked at me curiously, "No, you must've just cut it. I saw you earlier this week!"

I was sweating from the heat and humidity outside, although the restaurant was cool enough. I went to the cooler behind her and grabbed a water before joining them at the table. We kept talking and trying to figure this thing out.

It so happened, we discovered during this brief conversation, that I was the spitting image of a young man they knew, who worked in the area and visited them regularly. It took them so long to realize I was not him, about five minutes, and they remained puzzled although seemingly nonplussed and jovial. Eventually they agreed I was not, in fact, this other person. All they said was, "You are just like him. Exactly like him. But his eyes are lighter," which they could now tell, being sat near me.

I paid for the water, thanked them, and left.

I've had other positive (affirmative) experiences with the app. A personal favorite was letting someone else set an intention, for "old, abandoned", and we were lead to a field (there weren't any no trespassing signs posted and the truck that came down the dirt road just waved at us as we milled about) where we found the old, rusting frame of an airplane plopped down in the field. The diehard skeptic I was with didn't want to call it a hit cause it was about 30 ft. from the point. We also found it as the third point we tried: first was a slab of rusted metal that had been leaned against a tree and the tree had begun to grow around it - impossible to move the slab, the second was on private property with a no trespassing sign that we were just about to ignore until we got yelled at by people some distance away across the road. After finding the plane we decided to walk around the area some, into the woods and whatnot. Found some downed trees which was a bit odd but nothing spectacular.

It's fairly common in my experiences that cool stuff happens after two points on an "attractor chain" so if you want to give it a whirl it's what I recommend. Ah I'm thinking about so much other cool stuff I found with the app. Good stuff.

Edit, I want to tantalize with some stuff I have. I have pictures for most of these but I don't want to go through the trouble to grab and upload them at the moment, sorry:

1. Nature preserve which is immediately adjacent to a strip mall (entrance is from a parking lot). Had no idea it was there! Very good spot. Not anomalous just grateful the app lead me to find something cool. The only anomalous thing that occurred with this one was on my drive back from the preserve there was a woman walking down the highway bridge with a clipboard, on the narrow shoulder against oncoming traffic. I have never seen anyone walking there (very dangerous, no reason to) before or since.

2. Found some coyote decoys in an industrial area. Not remarkable per se but interesting that the app lead me right to them when there's just concrete and buildings here it found the one interesting thing.

3. Shack in the woods! This is apparently pretty common. We found this one at night - or at least the trail that lead to it - but turned around due to the no trespassing signs and the voices we heard up the trail. Went back the next day, found the shack which was kind of... odd. But the point wasn't on the shack it was a little bit into the woods away from the shack and I decided to go right to the point: found a blueberry sprig there, right on the point. Couldn't spot any blueberries anywhere in the area and I did try.

4. Bar with a seating alcove. Know the bars in that area well but seldom entered this one and tucked in the back they have these really nice chairs and reading area with a sunroof.

5. Right after the bar I decided to call it a day with the app and started skating home. Stumbled on a Caribbean Day Parade which was so cool! Didn't know it was going on. Nothing special here really it was just... auspicious.

6. Red door with an "101 1/2" address. Right on the point that one.

Gonna mess with it again when it warms up.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Feb 23, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Am I misremembering something or is it true we have one specific neuron for any face we've seen? When you see Dolly Parton your Dolly Parton neuron lights up and it's a different neuron than the one that lights up when you see Ariana Grande's face and there's no cross-over?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
From an unbounded infinite consciousness perspective there is no void or annihilation. Consider, if you are the Godhead and there is a Godhead perspective - that is, a Godhead perspective with a me - there exists no division between the something and the nothing, between the me and the not-me. That is, if you are the Godhead you are all things. You are not just all things which are! You are also those things which are not! There is no difference from this perspective between the me (something) and the not-me (nothing). The Godhead, being infinite, would exist simultaneously as the me and not-me. Something isn't separate from nothing here, it is one in the same. So the Godhead exists, therefore, in a state of something-nothing. It cannot move into nothing, it is also nothing. The self and the not-self are the same, something and nothing are the same. The void does not exist.

We're here as God experiencing finity. Why? Why not - what else is there to do? It's fun!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Sort of? Again, because we are talking about the Godhead perspective, from this perspective there is no difference between the One and the Many. Both are Real and both are Illusions. It's someone else but this someone else is an aspect of yourself and is very much yourself while very much not yourself. It's kind of... this is a crude analogy but if you were looking in a mirror is there one or two of you? Well there's only one of you but you wouldn't say that the reflected image is you. It's obviously separate but it's obviously the same.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
If you get a pet fish for a kindergarten classroom and they overfeed the fish and kill it, would you punish the classroom?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

fanfic insert posted:

i wrote a post about radonautica being just an advanced filter on the pokemon go database but lol watching some more videos and im spook'd

goblins and poo poo

Little warning: if you try it for yourself and feel a sense of Dread or a feeling of fear comes over you, under no circumstances should you accept the dread or fear as real or capable of anything. You don't have to press on to a point if you don't feel comfortable but don't ascribe anything to the fear - just ignore it as if it doesn't exist, didn't happen, and don't recall it or ponder it.

As with all things in the realm of magic stay light, have fun, stay grounded, let things roll off of you. Be like a joyful, loving breeze.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

GWBBQ posted:

The sighting a few pages ago reminds me, I finally got the lenses for my attempt at a cheap all-sky camera, I might start working on a prototype this weekend.

For randonauitca, looking at the technical stuff buried several pages deep on their site shows that they are, in fact, using hardware RNGs based on quantum effects - one based on electron tunneling in a field effect transistor, and one based on Johnson-Nyquist noise. The first is one of the older types used by the Global Consciousness Project and the second is what they currently use. I downloaded the app because even if I don't buy into the quantum consciousness stuff, it sounds interesting as something to do.

I don't know what they're using now, I think they ended up building their own but originally they were using Australian National University's field vacuum QRNG. You can dig into the meat a bit more here: https://qrng.anu.edu.au/

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

GWBBQ posted:

Also, I'm late for page 666 but I was behind a car a few minutes ago and I really want to know how the license plate "CARCOSA" made it past the pearl clutchers at the DMV.

If it doesn't bother the Queen of England why should it bother them?

quote:

SIR,

In the April magazine your correspondent in Malaya asks me, in courteous terms, to tell him why I gave the name “Carcosa” to the house that was designed and built for me at Kuala Lumpur by the late Mr. C.E. Spooner, assisted by Mr. A.B. Hubback – as he was in those days – and I have no objection to answer the question even though the simple truth may spoil a number of excellent stories. When this house was finished and occupied I read a book which interested me. It was called “The King in Yellow” and at the beginning of this book there were some verses with a note explaining that they came from Cassilda’s song in “The King in Yellow”, Act 1, Scene 2. Here are two verses: -

“Strange is the night where black stars rise, And twin moons circle in the skies, But the stranger still is Lost Carcosa.”

“Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.”

I did not call the Resident General’s dwelling “Government House,” or “King’s House,” because neither seemed an appropriate name in Protected States. I did not give it a Malay name, because it was to be the residence of a British Officer; so I took a book name as has often been done before.

As to the word Carcosa, I imagine it was the Castle of the King in Yellow, but the book explains nothing about either the place or its occupant. That apparently can be found in the play, to which there are only occasional allusions. Probably it is a word created by the author’s fancy, though it looks like a combination of the Italian words cara and casa and would mean “desirable dwelling,” as indeed I found it.

The only curious fact is that this name was prophetic for, as I understand, the house has lost its name and is thus, “Lost Carcosa.” The occupant, I am told, is now styled “F.S,” instead of “R.G.”

Yours obediently,
FRANK SWETTENHAM

19 April 1936.

— Letter to the Editor of “British Malaya”, published May 1936

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Riot Bimbo posted:

i also see a ring thing when meditating, it's usually the first sign i'm starting to percieve depth in the void and from there poo poo gets weird

The Ra contact said that a useful meditative focus is a white circle (unclear whether full or ring). I changed my focus from breath to that (ring) and it's worked wonderfully. Much easier for me.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Not a paradox. If you were a fish looking up at my hand through the water you would see five individual appendages; their inter-relatedness and their connection to a larger, singular harmonious body would not ever be apparent to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Or imagine a mushroom.