Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Victoria and Claudia are in my top five contestants. I love that they consider their habits (Claudia’s refusal to drink water, Victoria’s bag of snacks) completely normal and it’s everybody else who’s weird.

(Bob Mortimer, Mike Wozniak and Lou Sanders are the other three)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

i recently listened to winkleman's guest hosting of james acaster and ed gamble's podcast "off menu" and she was pretty self depreciating and laughed freely at the bad orange tan jokes from ed and james and made a few her self iirc. im sure she wasnt really pissed at little alex horne. also, everyone should listen to that podcast, especially the one with bob mortimer. it is ostensibly about famous people picking their dream meal course by course, but it is very funny

Yeah that was the feeling I got. I think it was more the surprise that it was Alex of all people to say it.

Victoria’s episode of Off Menu is the one I keep going back to. Absolutely bizarre from beginning to end. The recent one with Sarah Kendall is another favourite and is proof that Australians are not to be trusted.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

The cancelled spanish one can be found on YouTube. It's all a bit slow and verbose, and the studio feels to flashy

From what I remember of a review of it at the time, apparently it was overlong and mostly involved the contestants arguing points in the studio.

I’m surprised that an Australian version hasn’t been made yet. Considering the number of UK formats they’ve tried to adapt this seems like the most obvious one to take a shot at.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Apparently the NZ series is 'coming soon' to the Taskmaster streaming thing, so that might be why.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

I've been watching UK S8 recently and I honestly do not get why it was called early in this thread a bad season.

The only complaint I would have is that Joe Thomas looks most of the studio segments like he is about to fall asleep or start crying, and the new "oriental themed" inserts and house decorations are worse than what they replaced but that's about it.

The tasks seem to be rather varied and all contestants win at least one episode, even Paul who is "the bad at doing things" this time around.

Series 8 is on here in Finland at the moment and I’m absolutely loving it (again). I forgot how much fun Sian is.

Meanwhile, Bridget Christie in the current series has me wondering what her home life with Stewart Lee is like.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, guess why I am watching it right now. :D

Christ, I always forget that half of SA’s user base is somehow in Finland.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Sian’s ‘do the most powerful thing with your little finger’ task is so delightful.

‘It changed colour’

‘..because of the heat’

Also the Guinea pig was extremely handsome.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

I have to say that Suurmestari S3 was a lackluster. There really weren't any "fun" contestants, and the Grandmaster was way too lenient on giving "everyone gets 3 points"-treatment. Too many sourpusses and straight men, and there seemed to be an agreement that the guests weren't made fun off, even if they were terrible. The only crazy one actually won, being the off-hinged Madventures guy who isn't shy of being less-than-stellar on camera.

But its also a symptom of Finland having too few actual celebrities, you run out of people with any sense of comedy, and you really cannot embarrass the "visiting celebrities" because then they will turn down the other shows like this because they cannot take the joke of them being bad at the Taskmaster tasks. I have no idea why they wanted to have musicians, serious actors, or other people who absolutely hate being shown being bad at something.

Jaakko Saariluoma (the Taskmaster) really needs to go, he has been hosting these Saturday variety shows for what, 15+ years now and he really has lost the edge of being a proper rear end in a top hat to the quest of the week, because this is the only thing he does anymore. And my guess is that no-one wants to do Saariluoma show if he shows any edge anymore, because the new non-established "celebrities" are petty about their public persona.

I couldn’t agree with this more. I like Pilvi, but I gave up watching Suurmestari after the second episode this series because the contestants are just too dull and Jakko is extremely annoying.

Considering how many other comedy shows are on tv here I’m surprised they cast musicians and writers instead. Surely there must be more comedians in Finland who’d want to do it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I’m just impressed that repeatedly chanting cumstain! cumstain! is apparently acceptable on prime time TV in New Zealand. What a country.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Is that a leak from a studio recording? I'm amazed at how well they keep it under wraps. If I lived or worked in London I'd be tempted to go by the house every day just to try and catch a sight of future contestants.

I seem to recall seeing photos of Alex and Jenny Eclair on a canal boat about 6 months ago or so.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Fern Brady looked shat off with Dara in studio as well as during the tasks. Is this another Rhod/James or Richard/Daisy situation? I’ve only ever seen clips of Dara and never heard of Fern before this, so I don’t know what their deal is. She just didn’t look impressed with him at all.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Mike Wozniak’s ‘absolute casserole’ moment just aired here and it’s just as hilarious and horrifying as the first time I saw it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

According to the press release Andy Devonshire is series director, so they’ll have at least one person who knows what they’re doing on board. That’s promising.

I’ve never liked Julia Morris ever since she was on Full Frontal, but Tom Gleeson might be ok.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Wungus posted:

give the roles of Greg/Alex to Colin Lane and Frank Woodley

Frank as Taskmaster.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Every episode makes me more of a Fern Brady fan. She’s fantastic.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

AzureSkys posted:

I really appreciate Ed doing the Taskmaster podcast but oh man I wish there was some sort of production touch behind it since the audio levels are all over the place. My volume button gets quite a workout.

I just assumed Fern didn’t know or care enough to adjust her microphone.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

fischtick posted:

I have people in my life who need me to give them a worm trumpet. Unfortunately there’s such a thing as a “trumpet worm” that’s ruining my google searches.

I was expecting an actual trumpet to make worm music with. The reality was better than expected.

‘Take any opportunity to abuse Alex’ seems to be a running theme for the women of Taskmaster. I love it.

Creature fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 28, 2022

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

For someone who loved Taskmaster so much and had been dying to be on it for years, Richard Herring was surprisingly dull to watch.

I actually don’t mind Daisy so much on the current series of NMTB, but it might just be because it’s been the most fun series since the peak Simon Amstell years.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Plenty of contestants well-known for being smart have been caught in big dumb idiot moments on Taskmaster, but Victoria Coren Mitchell I think never comes off as stupid and some of her failures even seem to make her look smarter. A big nerd doesn't know anything about sports? Learning to ride a bike in the middle of a task? She's just a very weird and very different type of person than the rest of the people on the show.

My favourite thing about VCM is how she always has a snack in her handbag. On the Off Menu podcast she discussed bringing a sandwich to dinner parties (which she eats in the bathroom), and in Taskmaster she aced the 'sit on a cake' task with one she already had. She's always prepared and I think it's fantastic.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Fern Brady has been an absolute joy to watch this series. I hope the Taskmaster bump takes her on to bigger things.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Overall, NZ series 3 doesn’t compare to 2, but it’s got some all-time TM classic moments.

If you want aggressively dull Taskmaster, watch Suurmestari. I didn’t even bother finishing the latest series.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Since they announced the cast I've been wondering where I recognised Nina Oyama's name from.

Turns out she's responsible for this tweet which keeps getting reposted all over the place.

https://twitter.com/ninaoyama/status/1084357877253300227?s=20&t=8btw4peWDtdAqf-CQJ0tgA

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I hope we get more insights into Danielle Walker’s life. Rural Queenslanders have the most hosed up stories.

Edit: TMAU goes out at the family friendly time of 19.30 so ”I cry when I masturbate” was not something I would ever have expected to make the broadcast. Nina Oyama is fantastic.

Creature fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 11, 2023

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Irisi posted:

In one of her stand-up shows she calls herself "an intelligent woman trapped in a Scottish accent”.

I think it was on an episode of Wheel of Misfortune where she once described her voice as 'what it would sound like if an animal could talk'

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I used to live down the road from the original Marrickville Pork Roll. Their pork rolls are the best in Sydney and deserved the full 5 points.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Julia Morris annoyed me back in the Full Frontal days so I didn’t have much hope of anything different in TMAU, but her complete lack of shame is kind of endearing. Her aging task effort was amazing.

Danielle is my favourite so far though. I like how she thinks.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Danielle is the best. I want to be her friend.

I always wanted to fill our ute up with water as well but dad never let me. It looks just as fun as I imagined.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

They just went through the prize task on Suurmestari without even discussing what each of them brought. It’s so frustratingly bad.

Meanwhile, TM Australia just keeps on getting better. Except Nina who is consistently terrible at simply completing tasks.

E: I started watching Guy Mont-Spelling Bee yesterday. I thought it was going to be like all those beige comedy panel shows Dave produced after they lost Taskmaster but it turns out it’s actually really good and funny.

Creature fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 25, 2023

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

What’s your name?

Greg?

No it’s not!

Yes it is?

:sparkles:I chaaanged iiiit!:sparkles:

Series 2 is on at the moment. Katherine Ryan gifting Greg the lordship was a great moment.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Overall episode was the weakest so far, but Julia’s version of said task was excellent.

Julia's efforts felt very early UK Taskmaster to me. Back when they went to ridiculous lengths just for a laugh. I loved it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The right one won Taskmaster AU.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Mel Bracewell is a funny dork, she’s going to be great on TM.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The episode where Alice surprises Alex with his PIN inside an egg is on at the moment. It’s a fun task.

How many times has Alex’s wife collaborated against him with a contestant? I know there have been other occasions but can’t remember them.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I forgot how much fun Tim Vine is. The tracksuit task followed by the ‘heaviest plastic bag’ task. Classic Taskmaster.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

RickRogers posted:

King of the dad jokes.

That’s pretty much it. I don’t think I’d ever go to see a show of his, but I enjoy his daggy puns in small amounts. It’s pretty much all I recall of The Sketch Show as well.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Taskmaster AU series 2 cast was announced today.

Peter Helliar, Mel Buttle, Aaron Chen, Concetta Caristo and Rhys Nicholson.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Phigs posted:

Peter Helliar is the only Australian contestant I recognize. He's a somewhat mainstream but low-tier celebrity in Australia and the others appear to be people you need to be into the comedy scene to know. I've never found his actual comedy to be that great, just very standard stuff. Take a look and imagine what his comedy is like and you're probably right. But he's happy to be self-depreciating and is able to just roll with whatever is happening so he has potential for sure.

I’ve never liked him, even back in the Rove Live days, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Julia Morris always gave me the shits as well, but turned out to be brilliant on TM.

If Dave Hughes or Wil Anderson showed up on TM however I’d have to really force myself to watch it. They’re unsalvageable.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

10 and 15 are my least favourite series. 10 because of the weird plague-affected atmosphere, and 15 because it was just a bit dull.

6 was good (I’ve got a bit of a thing for Alice Levine), but that shadow between the heights of the Bob Mortimer/Sally Phillips and James Acaster/Rhod Gilbert series is very very deep.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

You're not up to his series yet, but Mike Wozniak is 1/3 of the Three Bean Salad podcast. It's very silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Leraika posted:

+1 for off menu. TM guest recs: Greg and Alex (unsurprisingly, the latter just doesn't seem to understand food and it's great), Bridget Christie, Joe Thomas, Bob Mortimer, Victoria Coren Mitchell

Recs if you liked the person on Taskmaster: Kiell Smith-Bynoe, Judi Love, Fern Brady (I think this one was really sweet; it's nice to see someone appreciate Fern's taste in food and know what she's talking about), Jenny Eclair, Rylan Clark-Neal

Sarah Kendall's ep is great as well. It's filthy but that's what you get when you let Australians speak.