Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

infernal machines posted:

This is awful and unsurprising, and I'm guessing the police aren't involved because they're assuming the children were buried while the school was in operation 50 years ago and they already can't be assed to follow up on disappearances and murders of indigenous people that happened in this century.

I guess the cops are assuming the kids died of natural causes, given whose care and keeping they were in.

Three children per year of operation. I can't express the rage in me right now. There should be SWAT teams kicking down diocese doors and seizing records as we speak. Instead, crickets.

gently caress everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Randalor posted:

Just a reminder that the Manitoba government just wants to sacrifice everyone on the altar of Mammon and Moloch.

"Catching COVID at work not the same as workplace transmission: Manitoba's deputy public health officer"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-workplace-clusters-folo-1.6045285

I think I dropped a few IQ points just reading that. "What do you call a person who graduates last in their medical class..."

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Alctel posted:

I think it's been mentioned before but the BC Health Gateway is loving excellent

Literally all your past doctor visits, prescriptions, vaccinations (and soon apparently) test results all in one place.

Same. otoh it's amazing to have all that info readily available, otoh it's creepy as hell. Not sure I want to know all the drugs I've been on over the years, nevermind the government. :tinfoil:

I installed the BC Services phone app in a desperate attempt to access my CCRA records (you can log in using it instead of the usual CCRA passkeys and whatnot). It could be that the CCRA website is allergic to my browser and the various ad blockers I run, but whatever it was the BC Services app worked and I can get in now.

The wonders of government programming never cease.

edit:

ChickenDoodle posted:

Now if the BC Services card worked on my iPhone and not only on my iPad that’d be amazing. But apparently it’s not been working for iOS phone users for months.

How odd. I'm glad my wife and I didn't know that when we installed and ran it on her iPhone this afternoon. Won't receive the final clearance email until tomorrow so there's still time for it to blow up, I guess.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 31, 2021

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Another Bill posted:

3) Put 'from Toronto' in your user name. I cannot stress this one enough, it drives people loving crazy to be burned/condescended to by a progressive FROM TORONTO.

I love this. Pure essence of SomethingAwful.com

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Another Bill posted:

If memory serves, the number estimated out of the Truth and Reconciliation hearings was between 4,000-6,000.

e: This report says 3,200 http://www.trc.ca/assets/pdf/Volume_4_Missing_Children_English_Web.pdf

With 150ish residential schools operating in the country over the years I think that might be an underestimate.

I assume that report makes a stab at estimating the children who disappeared into the bush or drowned trying to escape places like Kuper Island leaving no graves. Not curious enough to actually read it though, I'm grumpy enough this morning already.

DariusLikewise posted:

As far as I know there’s no “new” bodies found here but rather people are trying to recognize the fact that 20 years ago the city sold the old residential school land to some rear end in a top hat that paved over everything with a RV park and conveniently everyone forgot about the part of deal where they said they would look for bodies before turning up the land and the plague marking the school was removed.

Brandon University and Sioux Valley First Nation were working together to get the land back and figure out where the school and the graves are but I don’t see any new information being reported on right now.

jfc. Meanwhile, in Victoria commercial re-development of St. Ann's Academy was blocked when they discovered dead nuns buried in the basement. They already knew about the ones buried in the orchard so that was going to be preserved, then the ones in the basement were discovered and whoopsie, nuns are sacred, no development profits for you. (Government Ministry of Ed offices would be o.k. with the nuns though, so that's cool.)

EngineerJoe posted:

I really can't imagine corporations adequately maintaining thousands of sfh's. This feels like something that will either take down the corporations or we will end up with slums filled with dilapidated houses.

¿por qué no los dos?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

In a speech to his caucus on the last sitting day of the House of Commons on Wednesday, Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole spoke about his opposition to the push to 'cancel' Canada Day over of the discovery of unmarked graves of Indigenous children at former residential schools.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/o-toole-tells-conservative-caucus-he-s-against-cancelling-canada-day-1.5482161

And with that Otoole brings his bullet riddled foot up and inserts it into his mouth. He and Kenney both being of the same mind that these calls to action are being done by small groups of bad faith actors is pretty rich.
It's the conservative "old stock Canadians" messaging all over again.

Too much historical research has poisoned my enthusiasm for Canada Day. I haven't celebrated it for several years. My indigenous cousin otoh is all for it - he'll be downtown on the public walk selling bbq salmon to the crowds.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

I agree though that this has to stop NOW!

ffs people, wait until the forest fire hazard drops.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

20+ hours out from my Moderna second shot. Not too bad, a restless night with a fever high enough the cat didn't want to cuddle with me for long.

Highly recommend if you sleep on your side to get the jab in the arm you won't be trying to sleep on. I did not do this, of course.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

I guess there's no chance we can put these neoliberal shitstains on trial for murder if say, a crane was to collapse during a period of no enforcement?

Nah, being rich means never having to say you're responsible.

Excuse me while I get twitchy thinking about untrained, unlicensed crane operators.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Capital Letdown posted:

As I said, sorry for the long post, and feel free to ask questions. I'm in this poo poo every day.

Thanks! Wish I could buy you a coffee.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Willatron posted:

The outdoor cat ban thing is applicable to suburban or urban communities, but in rural municipalities it's not as black and white. My parents live in a rural area and literally cannot go without a good outdoor mouser cat. The one year they didn't have a cat (in between one dying of old age and finding a new one) they had a mouse infestation in their crawl space under the house. The alternative is using expensive and potentially dangerous traps and poisons, which is silly when one good outdoor cat will keep their house rodent free.

Yes outdoor cats kill a lot of small animals in their bloodlust, but keep in mind in some places there are a LOT of small animals that become a problem themselves if they aren't kept in check. Plus cats are territorial, so it isn't like their cat is going around town killing every animal in sight, she's protecting and hunting in a territory that probably doesn't extend past their property line by much if at all.

Careful, there's already a bias against us rurals itt.

I've got an infestation of Rattus norvegicus in one of my sheds that's eluding my two cats, two ferals, the dog, and now covered traps. Build a better mousetrap and nature just builds a better mouse.

DariusLikewise posted:

The Federal election starts next week probably

Wait, it hasn't started already??

Channel surfing on the truck radio in weekend holiday traffic - attack ad from a group I didn't catch. Most of the ad was making GBS threads on Kenney, his attack on health care workers during a pandemic and his general incompetent handling of the pandemic.

Almost as an afterthought at the end, something along the lines of: "Vote O'Toole if you want the same for the rest of Canada".

Very amusing.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah, as unlikely as it is, if a ferry starts to sink being in the car storage is the worst place to be. Extra bad if you are inside your car and the ship lists, cars slide together and then your doors are pinned shut. It's a sensible precaution.

The design compromises made to make a roll-on roll-off ferry functional have sunk ferries around the world. It will never not be funny to me that one of these was the 1980s sinking of the Channel ferry "Herald of Free Enterprise" killing 193 people. Such a perfect allegory for unfettered Thatcherism.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Like what? Catch fire again?

Lytton isn't much of a town, I'm sure we can do better in an encore.

Arcsquad12 posted:

And now there's an outbreak in Central Okanagan and they're blaming young people.

Well done BC, I hope Bonnie Henry is enjoying that award they flinged at her.

Central Vancouver Island roads and shops are packed. I'm going back to staying home and doing once a week trips to Costco and Home Depot. And maybe the weed shop. Fortunately my needs are simple.

gently caress everything.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

https://twitter.com/imgrund/status/1424417329279029252?s=20

people refusing to protect themselves due to arrogance and stupidity will damage everyone else.

I'd really like to see the breakdown of how much of that under 20 bar are children who don't have a vaccine yet, and what proportion of the over 20 are immunocompromised. Watching the children's hospitals in Florida being crammed to overflowing is filling me with rage at the rest though.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Randalor posted:

"World's on fire and BC's an unlivable hellscape? Time to burn more fossil fuels!"-Alberta, every day for the past decade. Really not sure why this is news, to be honest.

Just started a book on Alberta's energy industry written in 2007. Interesting opening lines:

Stupid to the Last Drop: How Alberta is Bringing Environmental Armageddon to Canada (and Doesn't Seem to Care) posted:

Manley L. Natland was sitting alone in the southern desert of Saudi Arabia when an extraordinary idea popped into his head.

It was the end of a long day, and Natland was watching the sun set. Wrapped in thought and a Bedouin turban, the American geologist contemplated the climax to nature's magic hour. "It looked like a huge orange-red fireball sinking gradually into the earth." Natland later wrote in his diary.His mind wandered, and the display of the sun's explosion of light caused his thoughts to take a sinister and disturbing turn along the following lines: sun, heat, 15 million degrees Celcius, energy, thermonuclear weapons. And then the idea struck.

Why not nuke Alberta?

Disturbing amount of chatter about how nuclear winter might actually be helpful and buy us some time. If it's spun it as a job creation exercise maybe Alberta will not only volunteer as a test bed but also subsidize it?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Nice whistle there Conservatives.

Secure the future indeed. For whom?

"We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children."

Why does this keep happening? :iiam:

I wish I'd kept a tally of little oopsies like this that popped up during the Harper years - using Nazi slogans from the 1930s and so on. :wtf:

The people who just ripped off Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to produce a juvenile attack ad shouldn't be bitching about plagiarism. Besides, the "you" in Jagmeet's ad is italicized so clearly different.

Arivia posted:

Sure? It sucks no matter who is doing it, but I’m not nearly as familiar with BC politics so I forget what rationale Horgan gave for his election call.

He was tired of a minority government with the Greens holding the balance. Didn't matter since he and Weaver seemed to have very effectively hogtied the Greens the moment the agreement was signed. Sucked, but I still voted NDP. This riding went with the incumbent B.C. Liberal candidate, a young Para-Olympic athlete whose only skillset seems to be getting herself elected by the oldest population in Canada and making a wheelchair go very fast around the track. Which is still more than other Liberal candidates have to offer. Local representation is a bit lacking, notably on disability issues.

Green candidates in this riding tend to be the type wearing suits and driving a Tesla with a rack on business cards for their consulting firm on the dash . It's disappointing that there are no magic crystals hanging from the rear view mirror. (Do Teslas even have rear view mirrors? I dunno these things, gently caress Elon.)

Arivia posted:

I hope the liberals loving get destroyed over this. A naked power grab election in the middle of the pandemic? No one loving wants this and it’s literally going to kill people. Get hosed JT.

I would too, as long as it wouldn't lead to putting the Conservatives back in power. They've gone through their competent evil period, now we're in to the incompetent, buffoon evil period.

Lib minority with strong NDP/Bloc holding the balance of power. I'd like a pony too while I'm at it.

Nitr0 posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/comox-valley-regional-district-phase-out-gas-stations-1.6139542

How much of a hippy dippy do idea is this? Still have poo poo battery tech, the cars all kinda suck, but to not allow any new changes to pumps or they just “die naturally” sounds like wacky island brain thinking.

I think that's already happening anyway due to the huge liability associated with old underground tanks. More gas stations on this end of the island have been decommissioned than new ones opened and there's still a lot of life left in the existing stations. And just :lol: at the idea of hydrogen fuel as long as we're producing it from natural gas and coal-generated Alberta power. At that point it does become wacky island brain thinking.

The east coast of the island is all teed up to burn down again like it did in 1840 so there might be an issue rebuilding the charred remains. I have to admit this is not high on my worry priority list.

btw, battery tech is fine for commuter vehicles, even living on the island. In a world where 10 year old 200k vehicles need to be scrapped because everything is junk coming off the assembly line I'm not sure there's much to be concerned about with a 10-20 year battery life. Hopefully that won't become 5-8 years through the miracle of modern capitalism. I also don't think we should be trying to consume our way out of a problem created by excessive consumption, but that's just me.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Arivia posted:

Whatever though, I already submitted my vote by mail application. Pretty easy, you can do it online on the Elections Canada website, you'll need to photograph and upload some ID (name + address, so one card like a driver's license or two pieces like a health card and a bank statement or other mail with your address on it.)

Thanks, I was wondering if they were doing mail-in federally. We voted by mail in the last provincial election and it ruled. We were so early with our ballot request that nominations were still open so we were ticking next to parties instead of names.

Solenna posted:

I hope BC gets some rain soon

The important part (where I live) is getting a fine drizzle this morning. It's like a normal summer day in the Central Coast and it's glorious. I regret to report the rest of the province is still hosed.

I'm wondering if we'll join the western US and end up with two seasons: fire and mud.

Not sure how I feel about mandatory vaccines for the civil service. I had a hazardous job so Health Canada handed me a laundry list of required vaccines and I said "gently caress yeah" and rolled up my sleeve. I think the brainworms might be getting me and I'm a little sympathetic to those who are concerned about a vaccine that hasn't completed the full approval process. Otoh it will purge some complete idiots from the civil service. I wonder which party anti-vaxxers are most likely to support? I'm sure this didn't enter into the Liberals calculus.

What a weird virus this is, targetting by political affiliation.

Just :lol: if the Greens take an anti-vax position. It will definitely demonstrate their ability and commitment to make tough decisions based on science. :lmao:

Ah well, it will make it easier to check the "Generic Orange Person" box on the mail-in ballot.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Erin O'Tool seriously looks like the dictionary description of a loving tool. It's so cliche but gently caress - look at that photo. What the gently caress is that. Dude looks like he's in his 60's and those clothes look like poo poo on him. Probably would with anyone. Who the gently caress tucks in a tshirt.

Uh, that's my work uniform. Bit of a niche thing though:

1) Working around machinery like a rotating power take-off shaft on farm equipment. Everything gets tucked in, even my boots don't have laces.
2) I'm working way the hell and gone from other people, idgaf about how my clothes look, they're probably covered in dirt and grease anyway.

I'm careful to change before I go into town. With the beard I look like a homeless person and I'm worried someone will give me some change to buy food.

otoh, maybe I shouldn't worry - they get a warm fuzzy feeling, I get free coffee.

And yes, I admit to being a tool-using tool.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

pokeyman posted:

When did the thread that calls Greens "Tesla Tories" decide that their voters will flock to the NDP?

I'd like to know what the second choice among Green party members would actually be. When I was working on local campaigns a lot of the rank and file Greens I ran into were ex-NDP who didn't seem to have read the party's platform or put any deep thought into what our real environmental problems are. The actual candidates I've looked at are closer to the stereotype. I suspect the Greens are like the old Reform Party - if you're in the ranks it's what you want it to be.

Hell, I would have gone Green except I read their platform.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

The D&D CanPol thread is serious business, folks. Don't even think of making irreverent posts ITT, you must treat this very important election with the respect and decorum it is due.

Wait, this is D&D? poo poo, I think I'm lost.

PT6A posted:

I am going to draw a dick and balls on my ballot because I honestly don't give a gently caress any more and everyone sucks.

Tempting, but...

Kale posted:

... remain absolutely petrified of some ignorant conservative culture warrior psychopath getting in and just declaring total all out war against anything remotely good, decent, intelligent and productive for society at large and just making a total loving mess out of things since that's basically what modern conservatism seems to be about. I admit I don't know much about Erin O'Toole other than he immediately looks like your cut and dry old white Conservative shithead politician to a T (and probably is), but if he's anything remotely like Andrew Scheer I don't want him anywhere near serious decision making powers over the course of the country.

Same, that motivated me enough to register for a mail-in ballot.

Hard to get excited about individual candidates when whipped votes, party discipline, and national leader campaigns work to homogenize everything and make the individuals in parliament irrelevant beyond the final tally. I'm sure though that if I'd continued working hard for the NDP and maneuvered my way in as a delegate to the national convention someone would have been interested in my opinions. As it is now, I receive little cards from my NDP MP with tick boxes next to questions like: "Do you agree with the other guy's plan to develop a new food source by grinding small children into paste or do you support Jagmeet's plan to give them all lollipops? Oh, and send us some money."

Part of the problem is reading too many climate change papers. The IPCC report is a literature review on 10 year old data and it was out of date before the first leak. What's coming down the pipe is going to be very interesting and all of these people seem as prepared to deal with it as a Republican governor facing a pandemic.

At least the wind shifted and we're not getting smoked out atm. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to take a look at what Malm has to say about blowing up pipelines.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

I'm going to start from the assumption you'd need to be bat-poo poo crazy to run as a Liberal in Calgary. Everything from there is just trying to stand out from the crowd.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

Not a prediction, it's still the less likely option, but... The tides are right.

I hope. Unfortunately all I'm seeing are rotting fish carcasses, dog turds, and toxic algae.

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAA!

If she gets more than a smattering of votes from dyslexics and lost Easterners it will be a very interesting election.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Gros Tarla posted:

Very likely.

Also, they're not being distracted from properly campaigning. Their actual strategy is to not campaign and go all in on Paul's riding in Toronto.

They're goners.

This does nothing for the stereotype that Greens are not grounded in reality. Ah well, maybe the Green Socialists can rise from the ashes. (:lol: as if that will ever be allowed to happen.)

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol Derek Sloan has apparently decided to run in Banff-Airdrie this year against Blake Richards.

My understanding from Albertan friends is that Airdrie is the butt of endless jokes and the place you're threatened to be transferred to when you gently caress up. So, fits?

I'm still stunned he's a Seventh Day Adventist. Granted, it was a long time ago I grew up in the church but the pacifist tradition was very strong on the West Coast. An SDA stridently defending 2nd Amendment gun murder rights is just :stare: but I guess that's the magic of American evangelicalism.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

DrBox posted:

We have some PSAC represented people where I work and I've only ever heard it said like pee-sack. What is it supposed to be?

"The Alliance".

I mean, as a member of a another union I try not to offend my brothers and sisters but jfc pee-sack is right there.

Just got an SMS survey from somebody or other for Elections Canada. Apparently I'm not as well informed about the voting process as I thought I was. (I know you can vote day of without being registered, but does that include being able to register at the same time? Am I over-thinking these questions?)

I was delighted to tell them I'm voting by mail and don't expect final results until 3-4 days after the polls close. I am so looking forward to the media hyperventilating during that period.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

I'm sure that tweet is missing the hearty laugh everyone shared immediately after that statement.

They did laugh, didn't they?

Please, tell me they laughed...

In other news, the hugely irrelevant Conservative candidate for Saanich-Gulf Islands is apologizing for helping spread the narrative that the George Floyd/BLM protests were just the barbarian tribe of Antifa taking the opportunity to loot and pillage.

“I apologize for my insensitive remarks,” reads the statement from David Busch. “That’s not who I am as a person. "

Dude, at this point in history yes, yes it is.

ed: should include this choice quote as well:

"He then went on to say that he had experienced discrimination firsthand, as he had been verbally assaulted by passersby who, seeing him dressed in a police uniform for a movie shoot, had assumed him to be a real officer."

:qq:

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 22, 2021

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

HackensackBackpack posted:

Hahahahaha holy poo poo. How did this person get nominated by the NDP?

My guess is she was the only one they had who hadn't gone on Facebook with a profanity-laced rant about Stephen Harper when she was 17.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

How do I, a person who won't be able to vote until the election following this one, help the NDP rend the cons asunder? I am a computer toucher by trade and not able to canvass because I work stupid hours. It's there something little I can do that would help?

My experience is limited and getting a bit out of date now, but it wouldn't surprise me if they need help doing data entry - mainly transcribing canvassers' sheets into their database. Call the local office and ask for the office manager - they'll know who to get you in touch with.

There's also lots of running around on Election Day where they need bodies to run errands, transport people, and scrutineer at the polls but :lol: to doing that during a pandemic.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

The only people I know who don't screen their calls have dementia.

Still, they can vote so it's worth the effort I guess.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Typo posted:

I just realized the BQ really really loving wants to get rid of the monarchy LOL

I'm really interested in the idea that indigenous treaties are between First Nations and the Crown. Remove the Crown and the agreement is null and void (as opposed to "just ignored by one side").

Really curious if the BQ has thought out their clever plan here.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

It seems like this is building up to a situation where Trudeau sending in the troops is the only real option

Does Canada's military not have the equipment and expertise to extract large pieces of heavy machinery from swamps? Semi tractors on pavement should be a piece of cake. There wouldn't even be anyone lobbing explosives during the operation.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It is worth noting that a number of the convoy assholes have self-identified as "the fringe minority". I have also seen banners and flags on their vehicles with literal fringes.

And sadly yes, we do have Sov Cits in Canada.

There's a judge (Alberta? My CanLII game is weak) who's written some hilarious takedowns of his sovereign citizen cases. Whereas other justices just dismiss these people with "All of this is gibberish that does not merit legal analysis" this one writes comedy gold in his judgements.

Wish I could remember the name. Maybe someone can chime in?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 13, 2022

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

HackensackBackpack posted:

I heard someone found the place she worked for minimum wage but when they asked the manager about her, the manager said she was "gone, gone, gone, she's been gone so long, she's been gone, gone, gone so long."

I saw what you did there. Masterful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7zN4JD9Dng

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've received 2 text messages this afternoon from the "PC Ontario Fund" asking if the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario can count on my support in this year's election.

Conservative database management system seems to be shite or the locals don't know how to manage database or all of the above. Like Microsoft Security I don't mind loving with them and wasting their time.

brucio posted:

CPC probably making GBS threads themselves due to this mandatory inquiry.

Only if they think being linked to neoNazis is a bad thing.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

57 seconds 1.5 blinks. Just like a completely normal human adult male person. 🤖

I left the sound off and just watched his face. It was.. unnerving. Hope it's just my imagination running wild.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Another Bill posted:

It occurred to me today that PM Modi's BJP is heavily connected to Stephen Harper's proto-fashy International Democratic Union, and that Stephen Harper is Pierre Poilievre's old boss / mentor / founder of the Conservative party.

Just a little food for thought.

Sounds interesting and highly plausible. I shouldn't ask (I'm pissed off enough at the world atm) but any documentation?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Another Bill posted:

Another Ontario cabinet minister, Monte McNaughton, just resigned his office.

Third one this month!

e: I'm not going to toxx it, but I'm thinking by November 15 Doug Ford has resigned as well.

A lovely thought. And thanks for the links, I probably shouldn't read about Harper's political machinations before I've had morning coffee though. :barf::mad:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Mederlock posted:

Who wants some more good news!

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-post-reviewing-use-of-address-data-following-criticism-from-privacy-watchdog-1.1975147

What the actual gently caress is Canada Post doing, selling this information to the highest bidder? No wonder I get such targeted mail spam, it's the loving post office doing the spying!

We had Canada Post forward my mother in law's mail to us after she died. Removed the forwarding label and wrote "deceased" on the outside of the forwarded envelopes then dropped them back in the mail so the senders could delete her from their databases.

We're now getting letters from those same businesses addressed directly to Mom at our address. Looks like our suspicion about Canada Post selling the new address was correct.

Wouldn't piss me off so much if snail spam was compostable.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

kaom posted:

:sigh:

It exists for MLAs in BC. :sigh:

It does, but I think the only time it came close to working was persuading an MLA who'd been sock-puppetting in the local newspaper (wtf is a "newspaper"?) to resign.

"Some local rag" posted:

Betanko letter surfaces during election campaign
Political ghost comes back to haunt one of Parksville's mayoral candidates
JR Rardon
Oct 28, 2011 1:00 PM

This letter is someone’s idea of a joke. A bad one at that, says one of the candidates in the Parksville mayoral campaign.

A letter to the editor was dropped off Wednesday at The News, signed by Warren Betanko.

That’s the name used in a series of political attack letters in the 1990s in Parksville and elsewhere — a name determined to be used in a fake manner by Paul Reitsma during his time as mayor of Parksville and BC Liberal MLA. The letters at that time, found to be penned by Reitsma, were often complimentary of him and critical of his political opponents.

The current letter is not his doing, Reitsma says, adding he would be stupid to do it again.

Reitsma said he spent the last six years working through his own feelings over the events of the 1990s, and this new letter is an affront to that.

“I am asked by people if they can write letters supporting me now,” said Reitsma, a candidate for mayor in Parksville on Nov. 19, 2011. “I tell them yes, but be polite and be sure to include their contact information.”

He added he hopes the person who dropped the letter off at The News comes forward.

Staff at The News saw a man in a fisherman’s cap drop the letter off at the front desk. By the time the envelope was opened, the man had gone.

The phone number on the letter is that of the mayor’s office at Parksville city hall. Electoral officer Lynn Kitchen said it’s a concern that the letter has come up during the municipal election campaign, as a certain amount of such shenanigans could pave the way for candidates to challenge results. Kitchen said she’ll be keeping track of such items, just in case.

Since it is a fake, the letter itself will not be published. It is The News’ letters policy that all those submitted include the writer’s name, home town and contact phone number. The numbers are never published, but are used by staff for author confirmation purposes. This policy has been in effect for at least eight years.

Discovery by this paper and other local media that Reitsma had written false letters in the 1990s, and lied about it, led to a recall campaign and his subsequent resignation as an MLA in 1998.

Reitsma told The News last month that he acknowledged he was wrong at the time and worked through his own issues to be able to run for office again.

I don't think Reitsma won on his last attempt at the mayorship. I tend to ignore Parksville unless I'm driving through while the MAGA hatters are out protesting in favour of pipelines or viruses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

vyelkin posted:

You should read this academic article on this subject, which is freely available: https://www.academia.edu/1908894/_T..._3_2012_329_368

There has been a concentrated effort to whitewash the history of that military unit by its veterans who fled to the West and unsurprisingly wanted to downplay the fact that they fought for Nazi Germany, and by their descendants in Canada.
snip...

Thanks for posting that. It led down some depressing rat holes, but such is history I guess.