Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
My brother once applied for a job at southern water treatment plant and they told him that his degree in biochemistry made him 'overqualified' so they couldn't hire him.

Its a bizarre and arbitary system where you will be actively punished for having a degree if you're actually looking to get your foot on the ladder in a relevant field.

For my own experience I didn't go to university and failed to get even an entry level shelf stacking job as every single application requested 5 years experience stacking shelves. Love to need prior experience as a Trainee retail assistant lol. These days the only true 'entry level' jobs are gig economy nightmares that take pretty much anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Noxville posted:

It’s definitely a cake, the idiocy is that biscuits are apparently in the luxury category but cake isn’t.
Reminds me of the time Pringles went to court to argue that their potato snacks weren't technically crisps so they weren't liable to pay VAT or whatever.

'Pringles are more like a cake or a biscuit, because they are manufactured from dough.'

In the end it was decided they could avoid paying VAT as long as they were willing to put 'reconstituted potato snack' on the tubes and highlight the 42% potato content in their advertising.

Pringles still pay VAT.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I always liked that eddie izzard bit about how shes fine actually we should sing about her being attacked instead.

God attack the queen
Send big dogs after her
that bite her bum

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

EvilHawk posted:

My parents once went to see Andy Parsons live and said he was more funny than he was on TV... which isn't really a compliment.

Jo Brand's still good, right? I haven't missed anything with her :ohdear:
I haven't followed her much recently but as my parents for some inexplicable reason still watch the One Show I will forever appreciate how she got Carol Thatcher fired.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yeah it wasn't very funny but I thought the Worlds end was great.

It doesn't compare to Hot Fuzz favourably because Hot Fuzz is a perfect movie.

Sean I liked a lot, not a zombie movie fan but I appreciated it as a sorta movie adaptation of that spaced episode with the zombies.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its their job to score goals and they only got two of them loving pathetic.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What even is the difference between 'black tie optional' and 'business'?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Pablo Bluth posted:

I assume the not going to the toilet between lessons is missing the bit about pissing in a bottle during the lesson.
More than anything else the toilet thing seems like abject cruelty. Isn't between lessons the ideal time for piss break? Do they only have 30 seconds to get vetween classrooms what the gently caress

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OzyMandrill posted:

So, I watched 'The Watch' on Iplayer, and as a massive TP fan... I like it. Alot
It's not a faithful reproduction in any way, but having seen those loving movies with Delboy Rincewind, it is 100 times better for taking names and themes from across the whole series of books, blending them into a hosed up semi-modern setting, then letting them go. More grimdark humour, a vague sense of knowing who's who, but enough change that it's not the same thing. Its like a parallel dimension to discworlds parallel dimension.

I've been putting off watching it so thats really nice to hear.

I always like the Cosgtove hall animated discworld adaptations more than the Sky one live action ones. although Truckers is the best tv adaptation a Pratchet book by far imo.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OzyMandrill posted:

David Jasons films were with approval, huge budgets, true to the books, and they are proper poo poo. These aren't trying to follow the books and to my mind better for it.
Its a shame the original version of it got canned but like I'm going to judge it on its own merits instead of in opposition to a show that didn t get made.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If i was in charge of the england team i would make them wear big long clown shoes to increase their kicking range.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Other countries practically wiped out the virus before we had vaccines, the fact we apparently can't even try to do the same with vaccinations helping is really loving depressing.

'Returning to normal' was the battle cry of lifting restrictions but even thats shifted to 'we must learn to live with infection and death'.

I hope that the worst case does not occur but its really loving depressing how poo poo the govenment has and continues to be.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Should have gone with my clownshoes idea imo

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm sure it was poorly managed and poo poo but I have no loving sympathy for the people who broke the rules and put others at risk over missing the first few minutes of a football game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Culture war thing that made me laugh the most recently was the half hearted attempts to drag the Office into it. Gervais said it would be 'Cancelled' in an interview and then 'It couldn't be made today', screamed the bbc news article about the show's 20th anniversary.

They hadn't even taken out a slur or removed it from britbox, no censorship or prominent criticism had occured, they just decided that it was the new front in the culture war for 5 mins before giving up. The bbc artice was just a big dog whistle too, didn't mention Gervais comment just said 'everyones wfh at the moment so you couldn't make a comedy set in an office' which is a strange thing to say they sometimes make comedy shows set in outer space.

The thing i remember most about southpark back when it was fresh and new and came on VHS tapes from woolworths was that it was funny how Kenny died every episode. A little later it was fun to point out to certain fans of the Southpark Movie that it was a musical, you liked a musical. Yes I know musicals are 'gay' but it is one and you liked it.

I haven't watched either in a while but I really liked Baseketball and Team America so while Southpark is a bit of a wash overall they done some fun stuff.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I read up on the history of Lead plumbing rexently amd it did not suprise me to learn that there was a 'lead lobby' that continued to campain and promote lead pipes for decades after the harmfull effects were understood.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I thought working the fields in unsafe conditions for very little money was the reason illegal immigration was invented in the first place?

As for the McDonalds hot coffee granny that whole thing is hosed. I watched a netflix documentary about it. In america corporations can set up pressure groups with names like 'citizens against punitive damages' and campain without acknowedging that the 'citizens' in this case are mcdonalds.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'd choose violence. Its ypur property I'm sure there are a few things you could legally do that might incidentally cause damage to a car illegally parked on your property.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Flayer posted:

What kind of hosed up logic is that. Policies in general will affect everyone.
They were given dispensation to vote in this case but not in the future? Do they not think a similar shitstorm will erupt the next time they try to exclude disabled councilors? Absolute madness.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Thats literally just Populous.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OwlFancier posted:

I really can't imagine someone who likes pratchett's work and is also a big terf.
Being related to someone who's a pratchett fan and a mumsnet poster I've learned that theres no logical consistency beyond a belief that they're actually the progressive ones standing up for woman's rights therefore everyone truely progressive must be a terf too.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OwlFancier posted:

But as people have demonstrated it is the literal actual loving text of the books, it is not subtext, a central arc of the dwarf books concerns the effect that their concept of rigid gender presentation has on people who want to present differently.

Like unless you just don't read some of the best books (dwarf books best books fight me) and especially stuff like monstrous regiment where the whole loving book is about gender politics, presentation, and identity, I just do not get how your loving brain can just bounce his points like a loving KV-2 at Raseiniai.
I wish i understood it. She got mad about Cherry being portrayed by a male actor in the Watch. She was a fan of Eddie Izzard for years but suddenly isn't anymore.
What upsets me the most is that she can't see that she's parroting this warmed up homophobic garbage but with a new 'scarier' group of people to hate and fear. If we'd both been born a few decades earlier would she think that way about me too? Of course she doesn't have a problem with any individual trans person but think of the children bathroom assault bathroom assault!

I haven't had the courage to ask her what she thinks of linehan these days, but I hope that even she doesn't thinks he'll be 'vindicated by history' anymore.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Party Boat posted:

The actor who plays Cheery is actually non binary IIRC, and one of the best things about The Watch (at least three episodes in which is as far as we've gotten)
Sorry for being insensitve!

This is what happens when you hear about a show secondhand from a GC mentalist. No wonder she's mad about it, i thought it was strange that they'd be so upset about a character who explicitly presents as male in the beginning being portrayed by 'a man' but i just chalked it up to her general incomprehensible gender rage.

I still gotta give the watch a watch myself.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The bbc america dirk gently series has these thing in common with the source material:

A person named 'dirk gently'
The idea of a 'holistic' approach to solving a mystery.

I liked it a lot though. It took a while to get on its slightly naff wavelength but whats to dislike about a show that includes the rowdy 3 or the really fun idea of a 'holistic assassin'. The second series went full on crazytown with the plot and it ruled.

gently caress max landis tho.

Edit for balance i should say that like all Douglas adams created stuff the books are great, as are the bbc audios (the second which is actually changed a lot to include more characters from the first book) and the sherlock knockoff with stephen mangam was cool too. Adapt everything douglas adams ever did in as many different mediums as possible imo.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 2, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
They got the special effects just right and pretty much every change people complain about was something Adams wrote into the script himself before he died.

Also in a very Adamsey adaptations feeding into each other way they recorded a new cover of the Theme tune for the movie that was later reused for when they recorded radio versions of the last books.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The trick is to damand a wet signature so that you can smudge it with your thumb and they have to go print and sign it again. Repeat as many times as necessary.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Shaun on the youtubes just put out a video that talks about Monsterous Regiment and theres a lot of pretty explicit stuff I forgot about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnubfRy8Ws

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Explicit in a 'this character is actually textually trans' way lol

Although given the subject matter MR is the TP book whith the most genital inspections.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a drug.

Do Tesla do cars for normal people? As in like actual practical electric cars that people might use as an alternative to a petrol car to go do their shopping in or are they all insane sports models with delorean wing doors?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Lamont posted:

This thread has reminded me that I have a bunch of walking simulators I need to play:

Dear Esther
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
What Remains of Edith Finch
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Anyone got any other recommendations? (I have already played Firewatch and Gone Home)
I really liked Tacoma, from the same devs as gone home. You piece together what happened to the crew of a spacestation via holographic recordings. It's a neat way to show the story and you can follow characters in and out of conversations and stuff. The story is about space unions too which is cool.

The Stanley parable is more comedy focused but its a good as hell exploration of storytelling in games. I mainly recomend it because of the main writer's followup game: The Beginner's guide, which I loving love. I don't want to spoil anything about it, if you like games about the creative process and the motivation behind creativity pick it up!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Outer wilds is an incredibly cool game but i'd clasify it more as a mystery/puzzle game with light survival mechanics than a 'walking sim'. You don't ever see the front of your spaceship shear off in front of your eyes after coliding with an asteroid when playing something like Everybody's gone to the Rapture for example

Deffo play it just be aware that the game will ask more if you than just walking around and looking at or reading things and it may not appeal if the no stress gameplay is what you like most about walking sims.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OwlFancier posted:

I still can't really see the fun in that game, everything just looks like procgen bleh, and unlike minecraft there's no real developed element of building nice looking things on it.
By definition a game with a near infinite number of procedularly generated planets is going to be a bit samey, but when you luck into a good combination it can create some stunning vistas. After the first round post launch updates it was pretty much a desktop backgtound generator for me.

It's not minecraft but compared to like Rust or Subnautica NMS actually has pretty good base building options these days. Theres even a creative mode if you don't want to grind forever to unlock blueprints.

That hasn't stopped people from building some insane stuff though. Iirc these were made with the help of an outside program to get around clipping issues, but they work in game:

https://twitter.com/DaveBastian/status/1410662560794234881?s=19

https://twitter.com/DaveBastian/status/1409584929436930053?s=19

https://twitter.com/DaveBastian/status/1357435836866785280?s=19

https://twitter.com/DaveBastian/status/1357437668309671938?s=19

You can just make enormous dirt penises using the teraform laser if you want the true minecraft building experience though.

For me personally theres just something about the scale of NMS that mskes it interesting to me. It may not actually mean anything but you're not just pulling a lever and geting a random result you're exploring a persistent space. The game is so mind bogglingly big and wide that when you land on a planet you're likely the only person who has ever seen it, but theres the posibility that someone someday may stumble upon it and see the same weird birds you gave a rude name to. That luster does fade as you discover how samey the proc gen can be, but it'll still suprise you once in a while.

I don't want every game to be like NMS but its nice to just endlessly explore space sometimes. I guess it feels more realistic than other exploration game to me, just like in real life exploration in NMS involves a lot of seeing the same kind of stuff and sitting in a vehicle for extended periods of time, but occasionally seeing something cool and taking a photo of it. I was satisfied with the game at launch for providing that kind of experience lol.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dead Goon posted:

I bought Outer Wilds yesterday and had a play around for half-an-hour and I am terrible at flying the spacecraft, I don't think I have gotten off the planet to anywhere else yet!

The music is absolutely incredible, literal shivers sometimes.

The auto pilot is your friend!

I'm still slowly going through the game myself, but my first few hours were spent hurtling upwards, choosing a planet, auto piloting close enough to crash land then exploring on foot.

Also lock on and hold the 'match velocity' button whenever you're careening around near something you want to land on. Also remember to put the suit on and look down before you use the exit hatch.

The auto pilot will sometimes decide to take you through the sun though so be careful of that.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Both video and text/screenshots are nice to have sometines but nothing boils my piss like a 6 minute youtube video where the contents could have just been a screenshot with a red circle showing you what box to tick to make Sony Vegas output video without changing the aspect ratio or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tbh i don't know a lot about bovine TB other than we sure kill a lot of non bovine animals in its name.