Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I'm looking for a SSD boot drive upgrade for my home server. It is currently using my ~50gb SSD from a million years ago (probably like 15? years ago), so I imagine anything on the market will be an upgrade. I just want to make sure this random cheap drive from newegg isn't a terrible idea for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I can't confidently give purchasing advice, but I'm pretty sure you can find better drives for not much more (if I'm not mistaken, that's a DRAM less SATA drive)

Appreciate it, got that one instead. I'm just now filling 50gb on the system drive after like 7 years, so I'm pretty sure I'll be good with 500, but getting a faster drive for $10 seems like a good call, thanks!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I have a very old computer that still works for my needs, but I could use a new SSD, probably 1TB but if prices are good I'd consider 2. I see the thread favorite SN570 recommended, but it appears to be M2 only, and I do not have an M2 slot. Do companies still make decent SATA SSDs, and if so, what should I look for? Thanks!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I'm thinking boot. I have a 500gb EVO 840 in the currently, but that's getting tight and it's pretty old at this point.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Sounds good, thanks all!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Looking for a build for a friend near the Minneapolis Microcenter, but I wasn't seeing much for good combo deals there. I've also been out of watching this day to day for a while, so these picks could be bad.

What country are you in? US, specifically Minnesota
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Some programming, but the vast majority is gaming. Not FPS, but does play a lot of modern games in other genres
What's your budget? Up to $2k, but I wouldn't mind spending less
Monitor resolution: Needs a new monitor (not counted in budget). I'm assuming 1440p, but not sure what the sweet spot is for resolution/refresh is right now, specifically for non-FPS gamer.

I mostly pulled these picks from the OP, although the CPU cooler seems out of stock. Are the geforce 4xxx series not worth it yet? Should we swap to a Ryzen 7?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($244.18 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($119.95 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Western Digital)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($829.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $1789.08

EDIT: Found this Ryzen 7 7700X + Aorus elite MB + 32gb DDR5-6000 ram combo for $572 at microcenter. I assume that's a better choice

EDIT 2: Is the Meshify 2 $70 better than the Meshify C? Microcenter has the C in stock for $100, but doesn't have stock for the Meshify 2

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 12, 2023

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

What country are you in? US, specifically Minnesota
What are you using the system for? Some programming, but the vast majority is gaming. Not FPS, but does play a lot of modern games in other genres
What's your budget? Up to $2k, but I wouldn't mind spending less
Monitor resolution: Needs a new monitor (not counted in budget). I'm assuming 1440p, but not sure what the sweet spot is for resolution/refresh is right now, specifically for non-FPS gamer.

Made some tweaks for this. We're basing this around this Ryzen 7 7700x Microcenter+MB+RAM combo:

Ryzen 7 7700X + Aorus elite MB + 32gb DDR5-6000 ram combo for $572. We'll get a 2 tb SN570 SSD there too, then finish up with the below:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($829.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1129.87 (+ $701.97 from Microcenter for a grand total of $1831.84)

Just hoping to get a last once over, and also an opinion on if the Meshify 2 is $70 better than the Meshify C? Microcenter has the C in stock for $100, but doesn't have stock for the Meshify 2.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 14, 2023

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Oh, right, I was still basing this on the power envelope from the Ryzen 5 we started with.

How about this Superflower 750w Gold with a 10 year warranty? I know it's a good brand, but is buying from a Newegg Seller a bad idea? EDIT: Never mind, it appears it is being sold by Superflower themselves.

The Ryzen 9 is sadly out of stock at the 2 closest Microcenters, but good call.

Any opinion on the Meshify C vs 2? I guess it hardly matters since we're not getting everything from Microcenter, so we're going to have to wait for shipping anyway, but in my experience cases take forever to ship.

EDIT: \/\/\/ Oh wow, yeah. Alright, thanks for that, I think that settles it.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 14, 2023

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Overdoze posted:

Is a Noctua NH-D15 chromax ok for a 13900K? Half of the opinions that I've seen on the web seem to be that this CPU absolutely needs an AIO and the other half says a top of the line air cooler is fine. This would be a completely new build to replace my currently near 7 years old one. I'd combine it with a RTX4080, preferrably in a Fractal Design North (with tempered glass side) case, and use it for both video editing/rendering (Premiere/After Effects/Blender) as well as gaming.

This isn't what you asked, and I'm not a thread regular, but I think the consensus is that the 4080 is not a good price/performance card.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I have a simple question that's probably not so simple. What's the best CPU right now to base a computer around for gaming?

To define my terms, when I say best, I don't mean top of the line. I'd of course expect spending $5000 for a PC that you'd get the best of the best. I'm looking more for the CPU where diminishing returns start to really hit.

Looking through past builds, and online sources I'm seeing a lot of 5800x3Ds on the AMD side, or Core i5-13400F on Intel's side.

As a tiebreaker, heat and power consumption do matter to me, as the area where this PC would live does get pretty hot in the summers.

Basically, I'm not budget constrained, but I am value minded, and I'd like a good place to start.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Thanks for all the help with the 7700x build last month. We built it up and my friend is thrilled with it!

I'm now putting together a build for another friend. I've lurked here look enough that I think this is a pretty typical high-ish end build here, but I have a few questions I want to clear up before recommending it.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Vast majority gaming, including sim games and such. Some professional work, but anything here will cover it easily, so gaming is the focus
What's your budget? Pretty unconstrained, but I'm shooting for 2000-2500 or so
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Bad now, but will upgrade independent of this budget

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Black 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($814.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $2035.84

1) Is that power supply ATX 3.0? I see it on the PSU tier list that was linked before as an A tier, but nowhere there or on the listing does it mention ATX 3.0
2) Is a 4070 Ti fast enough for this build? I think we could go 4080, but that card seems pretty underwhelming and a 4090 is a big step from that. Is the MSI cooler decent this generation?
3) Is that SSD fast enough? We can spend more there, but I've read that anything beyond that is subject to pretty diminishing returns.
4) Memory timings -- 6000 cl 30 still the way to go for Ryzen?
5) I see now that I picked the Peerless Assassin 120 (non-SE). Should I find an SE?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 1, 2023

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

If you have access to a micro center this is a good deal imo

I came here to ask about this bundle. Is memory speed less of a big deal for DDR4? I remember people here talking about how important memory speed is for AMD right now.

Context of question is considering a very budget gaming upgrade with that bundle, a peerless assassin, a SSD, and either carrying over my current 1070 for now, or else grabbing that 6650 XT Doombat posted (would that be a good pairing for this bundle?). Seems like a lot of power for a ~$675 build (minus PSU/Case, etc). Nothing too demanding for games: Diablo 4, No Man's Sky, WoW, and a bunch of older stuff.

I'm currently on a i5-4670K, so it has been a while. Obviously this build would be better than that. The decision for me is more, buy this now, or do a full high end upgrade next year.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 7, 2023

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking for some upgrade advice. My GPU is on its last legs, and I need to figure out a good replacement.

I'm not a thread regular, and I can't really give you a good answer, except to note that we're now on the nVidia 4XXX generation, not the 3XXX generation, and while the 3XXX cards are still very good, it's unlikely that buying a new 3XXX card is your best option (ebaying a used one may be though, if you're looking for something budget).

I think the thread regulars will ask you for your budget, your usage (games? Which games? something else?) and your monitor's resolution to give a better answer.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

sponges posted:

My PC is ancient and I need to upgrade most of it. I need CPU, GPU, Motherboard and Memory. I know nothing about what’s good or compatibility. Could some put something together on partspicker? Looking to spend around $700-$800.

Hope this isn’t too much of an ask here but I’m out to sea on this stuff.

What do you want to do with this computer? Gaming (what's your monitor)? Office stuff? Shitposting?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: for anyone looking for a very cheap and cheerful CPU/MB/RAM bundle there is this: https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle for $270. 5600X3D, a Wifi B550 motherboard, and 16GB DDR4.

I'm going to be picking this up. Recommendations for a CPU cooler? Hoping to keep it quiet, and my office gets quite warm in the summer, but obviously this is a budget build, so not looking to go crazy. Is the Peerless Assassin still the way to go? What's the difference between the SE vs 120 vs normal?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 9, 2023

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Leeching off the power supply chat, is this Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 650W power supply a decent option for a budget build? 80+ GOLD, 10 year warranty, and ATX 3.0 (I don't know what I'm talking about, but the thread has said in the past that's a good idea). That seems like a lot of power supply for $79.99 after the $10 discount.

Obviously 650w isn't that big, but the computer it is going into doesn't need much. I grabbed that Microcenter 5600x3d bundle and am going to move my 1070 over for now. I'll eventually upgrade the video card, but I doubt I'll be going higher than something like a 4070, and PCPP says even with a 4070 my build comes in at 414w.

For reference, the build (I'll need an SSD as well, but that's negligible, power-wise):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $115.42)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Black 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $35.76)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $125.13)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $29.44)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GAMING X GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $305.75

EDIT: For what it's worth, it's a B tier in the PSU tier list, and this Anandtech review is generally positive, while noting some flaws.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 11, 2023

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

That unit should be fine, it is assumed to be a b-tier PSU by cultists network. The general rule of thumb I use for PSU size is 1.5x the power draw PCPP says, and then round it up to the common wattage PSUs you can buy.

Alright, cool. I'll grab it. I can always return it if something better goes on sale for similar price this month.

That and an SSD is all I need, but SSDs seem like a thing that will go on sale this month for sure.

I'm watching for the WD blue and blacks, and the Samsung 980 pro. Are there any other SSDs I should be watching? I'd like to get at least 2 tb, and would consider up to 4, as this will be storing 2 OS installs plus games (but no media).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

This seems to cheap to be good, but it is at least a brand I've heard of before:
Mushkin Vortex-LX 2TB PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe 1.4 for $70.

Any good?

EDIT: Not a lot of reviews I could find, but based on the spec sheet, it doesn't have DRAM, which I assume is a dealbreaker.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 12, 2023

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Is the only downside to the Samsung 990 Pro it's high price? Reddit has a current offer for a 4 tb drive for $199 with a AAA membership (or military/government/EPP), and chase is currently offering 20% off on Samsung purchases, so I could get it for $160.

In theory, you could get another $20 off with RetailMeNot, but that seems like a can of worms that isn't worth $20 for me.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Does microcenter let you pay for stuff and have a family member pick it up?

Just saw the person that posted before me asked this too. I only ask because my mom got a fishing email on her venmo so deleted her entire account. Microcenter is a 20 minute drive for her, but a three hour drive for me.

I just had a friend pick something up for me, so I checked, and Microcenter explicitly says this is ok as long as they pay.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Alright, thanks to a lot of help from this thread, and some good luck with sales, I'm feeling pretty good about this budget computer I've ordered. I think I've gotten a LOT of bang for my $550.

There's only 1 part remaining (well, a case too, but I'm building in my old Corsair case for now and may get a Pop Air if I feel the need to upgrade or keep the old PC running), and that's a video card.

I will be moving my 1070 over for now. The current plan is to either wait for the supers and get whatever is the best value (I'm assuming 4070 super), or if there's a great sale on something this month, scoop it up.

I'm very familiar with nvidia''s 4XXX offerings, but much less familiar with AMD's, and previous gen nvidia stuff, so my question is, what cards should I be looking out for to go on sale? I don't have a set budget, but I'm looking for value, so I'm thinking of trying to stay under $450 or so, to make the total computer cost around $1000. If there's great deals to be had under (or ~$100 over) that, I'm open to it, but something less than like $250 is unlikely to be able to do what I want to do. I'm open to used as well if there's an undervalued previous generation part I should be looking at.

As a refresher for my gaming use case: Nothing too demanding for games, although I do go a long time between PC upgrades: Diablo 4, No Man's Sky, WoW, and a bunch of older stuff. I have a 4k monitor for productivity stuff, but it's 60hz and I'm not opposed to turning down resolution, which is how I've been surviving with a i5-4670k up to this point.

Here's what I have so far:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $115.42)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Black 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $35.76)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $125.13)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $29.44)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $160.00)
Video Card: MSI GAMING X GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 - TT Premium Edition 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $84.39)
Total: $550.14

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 15, 2023

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

The $370 RX 6800 stands out too, that's a shitton of video card for the money

I'm wondering if this would be a good choice for me (refresher of the build below). In theory, I'm very open to an AMD card. The only reason I'm hesitating is I have a 4k monitor, but not the budget for a system that can max out 4k normally. Based on my very limited understanding of DLSS, it seems that this would be a good candidate for DLSS upscaling, and thus I have been planning on holding out for the 4XXX super refresh. Is that a correct belief, or am I over thinking things and should just grab a great performing card?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

The peerless assassin: should the fans be installed facing towards the back (i.e. the rear connectors) or front of the case?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

My friend has a brand new Super Flower Leadex III that he isn't using and would sell me for the same price as the Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 650W power supply I bought (and can return). It would be a favor to him to get it out of his closet, as it's past the return date.

The Super flower is 750w, was a premium supply when new, is A- on the PSU tier list.

The Thermaltake is 650w, is a midrange supply, is a B on the PSU list, but is ATX 3.0.

I know the actual answer either is fine, but how important is ATX 3.0? Given that all else is equal, which supply should I choose?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Hey, did anybody have thoughts on this?

I'm not a normal thread expert, but I've built several computers for friends and have lurked this thread for months, so I feel comfortable saying a couple of things.

Firstly, I think the main reason you didn't get much feedback is that this is a solid build, and if you put it together as is, you'd very likely be a happy gamer. But there are a couple of tweaks you could make.

I think thread recommendation would be that DDR5-6000 is worth the extra money, unless you're buying the Microcenter bundle or something simiar and that comes with this included. In your OP you mention gradually adding more RAM. I think 32gb will be plenty for the useful life of the computer. In theory you could step that down to 16, and be fine, but 32 is in your budget and isn't overkill.

I think that motherboard is more expensive than what is strictly necessary, but if there are features you like there that aren't on other similar motherboards, it's not egregious. Stepping down could potentially offset faster RAM.

The 980 SSD is a good one, but if you were looking to shave down the cost a little bit, there's the TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Branch nvidian recommends that is often cheaper with similar performance.

The main cost savings would be to buy a Windows 11 key from SA mart for $20. Using that savings to buy a 4070 Super would make for a faster computer, or you could just save that $110 to get closer to your preferred $1500.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 3, 2024

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

It's also worth noting that in the 10 years since then (wassup fellow 10 year upgrade cycle person, long live the i5-4570, still in use in my backup computer!), AMD's processors have improved dramatically to the point where if gaming performance and power consumption are the most important things to you, a 7800x3d is now hands down the best processor you can buy. Nothing wrong with that Intel, and there are workloads where it is better, but it will use more power and be beaten on most gaming tasks. The value proposition is slightly worse for you since you cannot get a Microcenter bundle, but it's still worth looking into if you don't have other reasons not to.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 9, 2024

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Unbalanced posted:

I'm looking to get a 2.5" SSD to finally replace my probably close to failing HDD. The OP says to go with Western Digital and avoid Samsung, but I'm not sure if that's only the case with NVMe and I seem to recall the Samsung Evo was the recommended 2.5" drive in an earlier iteration of this thread.

I'm looking at 1TB drives, the Samsung Evo 870 is currently about 5 bucks cheaper than the WD Blue. There's also a Kingspec on sale at NewEgg for 20 bucks cheaper, but I'm unfamiliar with that brand.

Any thoughts on what I should get?

Is this just for storage, or would you be booting an OS off this drive?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Can anyone tell me if this is ATX 3.0 compatible or not?

I'm no expert, but I've been told by people in this thread in the past that the best way to find out is this line on PCPP:

PCIe 12+4-Pin 12VHPWR Connectors

That linked supply has 0 connectors (as you know, given the rest of your question), so it isn't ATX 3.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Share Bear posted:

Hi,

It's been about 4 years since I last built a PC (for someone else), and I'm looking to make another new one for myself. It'll be used for development and media/content creation work.

What sites actually post benchmarks and are readable in 2024? No youtube/tiktok/video media please.

edit: Ah, anandtech is still around and in the OP.

https://gamersnexus.net/ is gaming focused, but they have some non-gaming benchmarks too.