Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

lol the premier countdown was for another countdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I was worried that it being open world would mean the cool explicitly and lovingly designed areas would go away but once they got into an area of interest it was unmistakably a well crafted Souls level.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

pot man opens his lid and inside is a colony of tiny gremlins in full catarina armor

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i hope you can give the horse armor

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

getting the impression that a major theme is gonna be taking enemies' power for yourself, like demon's souls but even more explicit

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

giZm posted:

"Grafting" is mentioned in the gameplay trailer.

yeah that's why I came to that conclusion

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dropping a loot box on top of Gwondyn, the Sulfrous Liege and killing him instantly

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

skasion posted:

That identity has already been pretty completely degraded since uh, Dark Souls 1.

yeah by DS3 both classes of magic have really strong utility and offensive options. lightning arrow is on like every faith build

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

As far as I've seen it's their regular multiplayer but I may have missed something.

Mostly but if you're solo the only way to get invaded is to use a consumable dried finger equivalent

e: also apparently invaders get an item that spawns them close to the host that they can use both to re-approach one that's running away from them and to retreat from an engagement and regroup

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 11, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DS2 magic was very good even after being heavily nerfed but that's mostly down to the base cast speed being really good and affected by attunement instead of dex as well as more explicitly supported binocular sniping

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Magic is simple but great in DeS, even the utility spells are often pretty fun and useful and there's strong pressure tools for PvP.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

from what I've seen dungeons just give you a warp back to the entrance when you complete them

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ds3 has some really good catalyst weapons too, you can get the pick pretty early and it works really well with sorcery especially the weapon simulacra spells

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Impermanent posted:

I gotta say there's something like that in every souls game. Skeletons in fireworks shrine, big crystal lizard in the opening of ds3, etc.

the lothric knights patrolling the walls in 3 gave me more trouble than anything in Heide's Tower and that's on the required first path of that game

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if you don't pick up a bow as a sidearm if your build can use it in ds2 you're missing out, possibly the best it feels in the series. shots come out way faster so you can effectively strafe and poo poo.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i'm pretty sure they're just saying they get so out of shape they feel like the only way to get unstuck is to start over. i hope.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Frankston posted:

So, is demon's souls worth it for £43? Was hoping it would come down a little more than that.

take youre precious Demon’s Souls…

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

Don't forget the end "boss" with the uncounterable and unblockable sweep that is 100% guaranteed to throw you in a death pit

the intended play is to bait the sweep, run out of its range, and run back through but that gets pretty hard in the side areas

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think the ghosts are mostly fine but that a bunch make their way to the ladder in Ingward's building and kick your rear end while you're climbing and there's nothing you can do about it if you don't kill them elsewhere in the building sucks

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

I love DeS but I have basically never configured my loadout at all depending on where I'm going except for maybe having some poison cures. You find a decent armor setup and a weapon you like and that's good enough for everything.

Really? I remember the enemies in different areas having pretty massive resistances to certain weapon attributes, like on the level of Vagrant Story enemies.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dark Souls isn't high fantasy, the battle between "good and evil" was more of a struggle for dominance between dragons and gods with no obvious moral actors and on top of that occurred ages ago.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DourCricket posted:

Dark Souls is DEFINITELY high fantasy - magic is all over the place, Gods interact with the world, the very plot is about the fate of the entire universe of the setting... The main character might be the only 'low' fantasy part, and perhaps not even then because you're literally The Chosen One.

an important aspect of high fantasy is simple moral calculus, there has to be obvious good guys and bad guys. dark souls is closer to pantheistic mythology than high fantasy.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

May I introduce you to our lord and savior: The Bone.

Or the dark sign if you're just legging it anyway.

i think it's pretty safe to assume they sat on at least the first tomb of the giants bonfire which means they had to fight their way out of bonewheel hell

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

bows1 posted:

Hmm I forgot to go to sens fortress locked door and talk to seigmeyer before opening the door. Did I ruin his quest line

nah he shows up behind the big slope the boulders roll down whether or not you talked to him before

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Generally if you spread your stats thin there's still stuff with high base damage you can use, including elemental upgrades. You might not be able to use everything you'd want to but you can't really screw yourself over to the point you can't finish the game, even SL1 players end up with strong and capable characters (they just need to be more careful about taking damage).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

The thing is that the people that beat these games naked and with broken swords are gods at dodging and ripostes. If you're really bad at those, builds start to matter a lot more.

But those are learned skills, not innate, and as long as someone is patient they can pick them up for themselves and will probably even learn faster throwing themselves into the deep end

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

You could, but there's basically no reason to level both int and faith on top of a physical damage stat since there's no spells that support that until later games.

You can make builds that use low-requirement spells getting scaling from the opposite stat using the Velka Talisman or Darkmoon Catalyst. i.e. a Faith build that can also cast Dark Bead and in the process also has access to the various Oolacile and Vinheim utility spells. There's nothing as synergistic as hexes but that doesn't mean you can't mix it up.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

The ratbro covenant ruled and I wish/hope another game has a goofy PVP trap hell zone like it. Just make the inevitable forest-hunter-alike in Elden Ring function like that and you can have the option to kit out your hazard swamp/forest and then other people can help invade in it or be haplessly dragged into it and hunted down.

traps are really fun but we need traps that combo into each other seamlessly. recreate tecmo's deception in elden ring so i can watch a red invader stumble onto a springboard and be catapulted into ceiling spikes

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RatHat posted:

This goes against basically everything we know about the game so I feel like this was written by an intern. Maybe it’s only referring to the trailer?

Do your best to get your faction reputation high enough so you can say once and for all: Be gone, tiny horses, my soul is mine and I am alive!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sadly I cannot enjoy Dark's Souls as killing skeletons is against my religion

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I dunno what's wrong with me but it makes me intensely good at souls-likes and intensely bad at every other type of thing

we need to perform a soulsectomy

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

daggerfall was real loving cool for the time but it pays for its ambition with some absolutely game-breaking issues, more common and worse than a lot of the stuff in the modern games

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think for all its flaws DeS definitely feels like a more aesthetically and narratively cohesive and atmospheric game than dark souls is.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it is now a moonlight great whip

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

*jc denton voice* i’ll take the tranq katana

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i get the impression youre meant to stumble into the skeletons and get owned repeatedly until you talk to mr. crestfallen several times and he mentions the way to the burg

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

As far as gimmick bosses go I actually liked the chariot from DS2

the chariot's good because your reward for figuring out the gimmick is a normal fight with a horsey

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's some that sort of mix the qualities of human and monstrous bosses, many coincidentally being demonic in form. Flamelurker being one of the earliest examples, and it's really common in Bloodborne for obvious reasons.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i like when i decided to unlock for seathe and realized that if you're not cutting off the greatsword the fight is actually ridiculously easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gort posted:

I heard something about them making archery more of a primary weapon in this one rather than the traditional "pull it out if there's something you can't easily melee" that archery usually is in Souls games - what did they do to make that happen?

I expect it will be a decent means of kiting overworld enemies safely on horseback