Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Quick tip with the super glue freezer trick that the expansion and contraction of the glue will break the bonds so when you take your dollies out of the freezer hit it with a hot hair dryer to make it even easier to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I've been happy with the minimal amount of spiders in this hobby to date.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

DrDraxium posted:

I think people are forgetting that these disease tokens stick around and it's all on top of any damage your guys are doling out. And it looks like most units across the board are getting DR and a ton of extra damage and attacks.

I think it's good and fluffy and can't wait to get my hands on this new tome.

Yeah I love the idea of the enemy killing off the last of a unit only to keep dying from them after they're gone.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Played against kruleboyz for the first time yesterday. The mortal wound output is kinda hilarious, but they can't take a hit for poo poo and are kinda slow.

Man they murdered my seraphon so bad. Bastiladon no like. Also one of those giant crossbow things one-shotted kroak when I rolled a natural 17 for his survival, woof.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

The real trick is figuring out which rounds you want to be good at on the start of round 1, and then having to declare it so your opponent knows when it's coming. But with benefits like that, knowing may not help.

So knowing is half the battle?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Do any Soulblight lists even run / synergize well with skeletons? I was super excited by all the new stuff they got and then bummed when every single list that did even remotely well at events was just a million Deadwalker zombies instead, but it's been a while since then so maybe some cool skellie builds have shaken out.

I'm about to 3d print 100 dire wolves for a meme list. I think this a good idea.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I also did a skink!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Cross posting from the minis thread.
Painting one of those sigmar dragons for a friend, wanted it to look like he just torched the ground (themed after the sleeping beauty dragon)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

X-post from mini painting thread
-----------------------------------------------------

Finished the dragon.

(Hatchet job background removal - nasty rear end painting desk needs a tidy.)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Cross posting because it STARTED as a slaanesh model. Still kind of works if you squint at it.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This was supposed to be a substitution for a slaanesh chariot but... the scheme kind of got away from me and I got excited by the idea of a medusa/merpeople thing.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Running this guy as a great unclean one (x-post)

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Does it still get to be called a miniature if it takes 5 passes on a 3d printer to print all of it?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Going to do a little crosspost - I'm quite happy how he turned out

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did a zombie

Never done copper nmm, worked out I think.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/08/sunday-preview-the-slaves-to-darkness-pour-forth-across-the-mortal-realms/

Next weekends pre-orders are aaaaaall about Chaos as the new Daves to Darkness models come out in a stand alone release, alongside the new General's Handbook, Battletome and Vanguard box.

As well as the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak getting its own release now as well.

Love the idea of Chaos Dave. Just wants to worship the dark powers and come home to a nice spaghetti dinner and talk about his day.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I love it, especially the green glow effect. How did you do the copper?

Thanks!
Ruddy brown, Working up to pinky orange, then pink, then cream for extreme highlights. Twinkling lights abt52 oil paint for verdigris.
On the front part I added a bit of green to everything, on the back I added a dark blue - as the front copper I wanted to be affected by the glow affect.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Talas posted:

Wow, I can't believe how great the new Seraphon look. I'd go as far as to say they look way better than most third-party options for 3D printing.

Those skink riders for sure - though I'd say OPRs saurus (fantasy and sci-fi) are both better still.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Lucinice posted:

GW this hobby makes me poor enough

I know it's another hobby but moving to 3d printing has been such a money saver for me. There's a model for almost anything out there.
Not everyone has the time and space of course.

Edit: I'm half awake, you probably weren't being literal lol

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Do lots of people want to collect a second gw fantasy game? Or wanting to drop aos for this?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Which of the death factions has the most "i summon moar undead" stuff? Is it the OBR or the SBEEGEE?

Soulblight. There's specifically a subfaction for even more summoning of chaff.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I'm pumped for it. Made some progress on my man, Fred last night:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

And how useful is chaff summoning outside of me just liking the ideas of "oops more zombies-ing people. I kind of like the look and sound of OBR. I like the sound of the FEC but their lore is very depressing

OBR (generally) plays like more of an elite army. SBGL is the neverending horde. SBGL is great right now, but there's a few traps... zombies suck. The skeletons can come in a block of 30, and models keep coming back on a 4+ (!) - and on top of that you can keep bringing more of them back to the unit with different spells and leader abilities. They also get rend if they outnumber what they're attacking. The idea is you throw those big blobs on objectives (the army can deepstrike them lol) and then hammer with your characters and spells. Oh yeah, if they ever manage to kill a unit of them you can bring the whole unit back at partial strength.
The more chaff focused subfaction gets a unit of free dire wolves you can summon whenever... free 20 wounds on an objective is nice.
Biggest weakness seems to be getting boxed in and not being able to noodle slap your way out... try to go first.

Buy movement trays.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 25, 2023

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Where can i buy movement trays that arent the filthy expensive gw stuff? I need em for my skaven too

SigmariteBoutique, if you want to support a goon.
Get a friend with a non-resin printer.
Or even better... just cut up something. I've seen people use cardboard, tin sheets (with cheap magnets on the bottom of their models) or upside down cookie tin lids.

Or you can just be like me and frantically move everything like the octopus mail sorter from the Flintstones.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

So, a lot of heroes I take it? What would you personally add to a SBL army after getting a vanguard?

Vampire on dragon, manfred, radukar the beast all hit really hard (and radukar has an aura that will double your skeletons attacks... making them actually do some work when they have rend). The chamberlain is crazy good now (gives chaff in aura a 5++) and has an ok ranged attack. Not a leader but terrorgheists are 300pt wreckingballs.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 25, 2023

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Double post

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I feel like a competitive army needs to do one of the following:
1. Reliably go first and get up the board on turn one
2. Have reserves with effective deep striking in the case of a tarpit
3. Be able to go over tarpits (fly, reposition jank, tons of small units you can't completely screen out, etc)

Otherwise you risk losing on a good boxing out play. There's always the option of having a list that blends so hard you can burn your way through it, but a good player can hold you out with suicidal screens.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

There are infinite good GUO stls out there.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

If you're going to 3d print go for a greater clean one, honestly much more disturbing.

This advice spoiled quick, lol.

So is all the fw monsters getting the boot a thing that just happens between books and editions sometimes? Otherwise, I feel like there's probably a fair number of people that dropped a fair bit of cash on a fw centerpiece that are a little grumpy right now. Apparently that ork rock guy was a pretty big deal to lose?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Cross posting from the minis thread.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Finished this guy finally. Kept getting pulled away.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Goodness me that gradient is delicious. Even the subtle color shifts on the bony monster face. How did you do the gore and snow?

The strands are fabritac mixed with bftbg then painted with uv resin for strength. Airbrushing a brush loaded with bftbg for spatter.

Also none of that gradient on the bone is from glazing or anything. I did the skulls and bone with 3 colors from an airbrush, then painted the bones in thinned oils... it just ends up looking like that (like there's a slight glow to it from the acrylic showing through).

(First half of how I painted it here but I'll be coming out with a video soon for the base and mount... been having some health problems and it's been taking a while to get things done)

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 23, 2023

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Lucinice posted:

All of these are going to be a bitch to paint but they look drat cool

Yeah they all looks kinda busy. Still good, just not really my preference to paint.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

There was a leaked image of an Ogroid Thaumaturge so I am betting Tzeentch.

Maybe it's an angroid

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

How viable is a dino army full of gators these days? I'm not as interested in playing Starborne but I love the idea of a table full of Big Bashy Gator Bois. Something like:

- Saurus Old One on Carnosaur
- Saurus Old One
- Skink Starseer
- 6x Aggradons
- 6x Aggradons
- 20x Saurus Warriors with spears
- 10x Skinks with daggers and bucklers
- Bastiladon with Solar Engine

Just a big whollop punch

Solid and hard to kill but if things don't go your way there's not a lot of tricks. Also you'll always be going "that's my whole army?"
They're doing fine though. You'll still want a slann prob.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

All hail the trans rights skeleton monster

Ain't no gender in a big skeletal monster, it's just a construct.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I remember talking to my catholic mother about souls and she was like "if you believe that you don't have one, isn't it horrifying and lonely to feel you don't have a soul and it all ends when you die" and like yeah but I'll take that 10000% over the horrors of existing after death as some sort of eternal disincorporated sentient thing, drifting and vulnerable to the whims of inscrutable inhuman entities. loving horrifying. Incomprehensible cosmic horror sounds like a bad vibe. Can't even off yourself to escape the terrors of the aos universe, it just gets worse from there.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Cross post from the minis thread

Did a guy for my brother in law to take to a tournament this weekend. Not familiar with the army so likely not appropriate colors but I was given full control to paint however I wanted so that's just how it is!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Double turn was great when I was new. You could be getting your rear end kicked and turn it around with the inevitable double turn blue shell as usually the new player a turn behind was on the backfoot. When you get better it becomes more nuanced how you play with it. Not trying to invalidate your experience though if you haven't enjoyed it fair enough.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I don't think armies that are complicated "in play" are a detriment to a new player. For what you spend and the time you put into an army you'll figure it out after a few games. It's not rocket science.

The thing I would tell people to avoid is armies with complexity in the build. Armies where there is little flexibility in the build of a reasonable 2k pt list. Nothing worse than buying mostly stuff you think looks cool then realizing you have an absolute turd to play with.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Ogroid Theridons are probably the perfect model. Wonderful sculpt, just the right amount of detail, tons of skin to paint, fun take on a classic fantasy trope (minotaurs). 10/10 perfect no notes.

Agreed. I bashed mine into a daemon prince!

It was so easy to work with.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

(X-post from mini thread)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

hmm yes posted:

Nice. Vey nice.

*seethes* now show me Vince Venturella's Teclis.

Good God, it even has water effects.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is there a good 3D printable sculpt of Nakai the Wanderer out there anywhere? I want to have him in with my Kroxigor (technically warspawned because dammit the gator head is cooler), but I'd like for him to actually be Bigger than the other Krox.

I don't have him on hand but I've absolutely seen his sculpt from ripped WH:TW2 game files. GW has been going after the guys hosting those recently so good luck.