Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Y/O: Terunofuji/Hakuho /Shodai
S/K: Wakatakakage/Meisei/Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Hoshoryu/Tobizaru/Endo
M6-M10: Takarafuji/Myogiryu/Kiribayama
M11+: Ura/Tokushoryu/Ichiyamamoto

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Are any of you sumo purists who don't feel like you're really watching sumo without several minutes of standing up, walking away, foot stomping, salt throwing, and chicken scratching? I like to see it for the big matches, but mostly I'm happy to see Kintamayama's super-condensed digest version. (I don't feel like cutting the slow parts of matches is necessary, though.)

I’m one of those weirdos watching Karla’s stream from neverending Jonidan until English coverage begins when I have the time. If I have to work in the morning I’ll watch the digest versions, but if you enjoy the sport it really is a different world in the lower ranks.

The pace is MUCH faster since there’s no salt throwing unless someone gets hurt and a disturbing lack of mawashi slapping and yeah, most guys down there aren’t going anywhere but the flip side is you see guys like Atamifuji, Hakuseiho, or Ishizaki on their way up. You can also see Ura and Terunofuji (and a lot of has beens that will never be again to be fair) on their way back along with some amazing matches if for no other reason than the law of large numbers exists. You also get to know the fun, but pretty bad guys like the world’s oldest 30 year old Oazuma and my man “mountain” Dewanojo. If nothing else, watching the lower level rikishi do their thing really lets you appreciate the size and speed that it takes me to make it to the salaried ranks.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Chinook posted:

Have a video of a smiling Terunofuji answering humorous questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hceJwvjqy3w

Here's Enho, and yes....it's shorter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGL_w41_yRQ

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Well this is lovely news, but I updated.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Having watched the original “umm, that guy doesn’t know what year it is” rematch, and the fatal “This guy hasn’t moved in 3-4 minutes, let’s roll him over and maybe a doctor will eventually come” that led to the JSA taking head injuries somewhat seriously I’m glad they didn’t make Enho fight the rematch even if it personally sucks for him.

On the plus side, Hōshōryū has finally realized he’s both large and strong and doesn’t need to just rely on slick moves and fancy footwork to win. If he can keep this up while still pulling out the trips and throws when evenly matched he’s going to be an Ozeki next year.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Takuan posted:

Hi this is my first time following sumo and I can see why Hakuho is the best. He looks like he's on a whole other level than his opponents so far. I understand he's on the verge of retiring, so I'm curious how the Hakuho I've seen so far compares to his prime?

Watch those clips, then try this one- Hakuho taking on the currently injured Ozeki Takakeisho. He spends some time playing with him and then...well you'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WWreGfXTU&t=174s

He gives arguably the best pusher-thruster today a literal free shot at him, with time to wind up and prepare. After easily handling the load Hakuho decides to show what real pushing and thrusting looks like.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Chiyonofuji pioneered weightlifting in sumo, I believe.

IIRC, he had a lot of early career shoulder issues, apparently throwing 300lb guys repeatedly causes some stress. The fix was to hit the weights since he wasn’t a large man.

Terunofuji came out and said his knees cant take daily training anymore, but he hasn’t missed a day of lifting since his comeback.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Don't say those two words, that just makes it more likely it won't happen!!

Day 14 the JSA announces our two leaders are taking on Asanoyama and Ryuden just to be safe.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Takayasu when he saw yesterday's torikumi while looking for his kachikoshi:

Before the main event day 15 we’re gonna get a Takayasu-Shodai Darwin match. Unless Shodai somehow Shodais it all up by beating a Yokozuna tonight

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Shiroc posted:

lol. I've never seen such obvious and utter contempt for an opponent as 'competition' in a sport before.

Every basho I keep hoping Shodai will show up with a bit of that Hakuho/Terunofuji-style mean streak and just start bullying guys. You see glimpses of it every now and again, but even during his Yusho and Ozeki run it was a rarity. When you're dominating and creative you're a sumo genius, when you're maddeningly inconsistent and creative it's labeled clown sumo.

In spite of everything, Shodai still came within an inch or two of winning last night

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

Gold Macaron.

Olympic spirit, this is the correct answer.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

[spoiler]I'm still coming to terms with what I've just witnessed. An ancient yokozuna with a body experts didn't expect to make it through the full tournament just effortlessly dispatched 15 of the best rikishi in the world. He showed a man soon to share his rank and status that even at the pinnacle, there are still levels to this poo poo.

Just because it was in the paper doesn’t mean it’s true. There’s an element of gamesmanship at work.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Southpaugh posted:

Edit: On the subject of Hakuhos "dirty" sumo - I like it when veterans use their accumulated knowledge to stay ahead of the younger guys. Nothing that he's doing causes worse injuries than the head clashes, arm cranks and throws which are already common in sumo. He's just using arguably "less competitive" techniques at the perfect moment for maximum effect. He knows when to do that, other rikishi do not and we need to marvel at him while he's still active because we are never seeing his like again. Anyone else throwing slaps and so on at teru is leaving the dohyo at a couple of metres per second. No one else can do that let alone do it and win.

1. Hakuho obviously won because Shodai provided his water of power.

2. Just like his opening gambit on day 14 Hakuho knows how YOU are going to respond to his machinations and acts accordingly when you do. Teru lost that match when he started swinging back, it gave Hakuho the opening he needed since by all accounts he can’t begin to meet Terunofuji strength to strength. I know easier said than done, but if Teru had waited out those slaps and looked for an opening (A lot of lower level guys learn the hard way that a slap can leave your arm side open for a grip) instead of playing Hakuho’s game that match could have very easily ended up going another way.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

bessantj posted:

I can't wait to see how the next Japanese born yokozuna will be hailed.

I don't think Shodai is looking to change his shikona anytime soon.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The next Great Big Hope might be Hokuseiho, but we'll have to see how he handles Juryo. At the very least by the time he ever faces Asanoyama he'll probably have plenty of Makuuchi experience.

I don’t think Hakuho Jr is going to comfort the hurt feelings of the YDC.

Hokuseiho isn’t likely to pull an Oki, but he has mostly gotten by on being a mountain compared to the kids he was up against. He’s like the anti-Hoshoryu, he had all the technique in the world but needed to add size and strength. Hokuseiho needs to work on his tachiai and belt work and that will determine how quickly he moves up the Juryo ladder. Luckily he’s got a pretty good teacher.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

this has been my overall position on the sport since i started watching it.

my main hope for the future is that modern training methods are implemented in stables with regards to full contact sparring and tachiai practice. i'm so worried about their brains. i think wrestlers could extend their fighting life and fighting prime by cutting way back on the number of full speed collisions.

We’ll see what comes of it, but that’s what Kisenosato is doing with his heya. His Masters(?) thesis was on new ways to train in sumo and he’s opening up shop next week. If nothing else it certainly looks different than your normal heya, even if he has caught some poo poo for moving it so far outside of Tokyo.

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1420049561356283907?s=21

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Thauros posted:

i assume real estate costs are the main reason? does seem like it would be a hassle for certain things like inter heya training

Yeah, this is going to be more of a complex than jammed into a building in Tokyo, plus it's his home prefecture. I think I saw it was 45 mins or so by train to the Kokugikikan. One of the selling points to new recruits is, from what I gathered from Google Translate, maximum of 3 guys to a room compared to some of the sardine cans a lot of guys live in. I did like this bit from the New Recruit FAQ:

Q: I have no experience in sumo, is that okay?

A: The master himself has no experience in sumo, so there is no problem at all.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Brut posted:

Hakuho is going to be lone Yokozuna again at some point isn't he

I don't think the JSA or YDC are going to let him take a year off again, especially with another competing Yokozuna in the fold, but I'm interested to see how he comes back after a full basho. If the knees are ok and he's back at joint practices clowning on guys again he might be able to get back to the "compete in 3 out of 5 or so" schedule he was on pre-2020.

How long till Terunofuji realizes he can take a basho off every now and again?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

Enjoy this video of our newest yokozuna singing in a studio, part of a tribute to essential workers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol0bPWQXG0s

To be followed by videos of three other rikishi, as teased at the very end. Some of them, ah, sing better than others. I have to think their natural bodily resonance gives them an edge, like opera singers. (Plus the culture of karaoke means everyone will have at least one song they can perform in front of others.)

Poor Ikioi.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Brut posted:

Do you wanna watch live sumo? right now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIBi2USR7m0

I did until this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIBi2USR7m0&t=8610s

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

That looks like the training dohyo under the kokugikan.

That’s exactly where it is, since inter-stable training is banned for Covid this is the one chance to train against rikishi from other heya.

If you’re a night owl, this is coming up around midnight- https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1429567669334904840?s=21

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Well poo poo...

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1431526204616683523?s=20

Good news is, everyone should be well over two weeks past their 2nd shot.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Obviously Shodai dosed him with the Rona on Day 1 of combo practice then disappeared with an "injury" while Ichinojo was there for all four days. The master technician strikes again!

More good news through! https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/08/d12eb96b4062-sumo-mongolian-ichinojo-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

quote:

The wrestlers who took part in the joint training sessions will be tested again, according to the JSA's director of communications, sumo elder Shibatayama.

He said Ichinojo could still make the Autumn Grand Sumo Tournament starting Sept. 12 at Tokyo's Ryogoku Kokugikan, where the former sekiwake is expected to return to three "sanyaku" ranks below yokozuna after posting a 10-5 record as a No. 2 maegashira.

"If his condition remains as it is, there's plenty of time," Shibatayama said.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Actual good news, the banzuke is here!

https://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

Interestingly, there’s actually a blank J9w spot on the banzuke where Takagenji should have been. Normally, even if you retire after the banzuke is made, you’ll still be on the list like Shonanzakura is still on the bottom of the banzuke, but they straight up blanked out Takagenji’s spot because of the way he got kicked out.

"No man, no problem" - JSA Elders

Let's remember the good times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNsbVFZUyk&t=2s

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Takayasu
Meisei
Mitakeumi

M1-5:
Wakatakakage
Kotonowaka
Hoshoryu

M6-10:
Tobizaru
Hidenoumi
Ura

M11+:
Endo
Kotoeko
Tokushoryu

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Lid posted:

Shodai also has the strongest grip strength of Rikishi. He is the only Ozeki.

I updated this for November for you.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

whats for dinner posted:

Just constantly oscillating between kachi koshi and make koshi. 3 basho a year kadoban.

As a Shodai diehard allow me to paraphrase the IRA, you have to be lucky every time, we only have to be lucky once twice in a row.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Shiroc posted:

The Most Realistic Path to 74th Yokozuna Shodai

It all hinges on Terunofuji's knees and how quickly the Kotonowaka, Hoshoryu et all group get to their potential ceilings.

Even without retirements we're pretty likely still going to see a few Yokozuna-free basho in the next year. Shodai picks up a win as the highest ranker left, then beats or even loses to a dinged up Teru/Hakuho and there you go.

Oh, and he's Japanese because like it or not, it matters.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

See ya in November Takayasu.

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/absence/

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

I know that was a weak basho, but that's no reason to quit.

Here's to a long career annoying the JSA from the inside.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Brut posted:

I want the next basho already, show me a healthy Enho: the heyagashira of Miyagino stable.*

I still stand by the fact he looked legit good in intrastable practice.

*For at least one tournament, go Hokuseiho

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I rewatched Hakuho's last bout last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RAQ0WbyFI for the first time since it was live. Its ugly but really brilliant sumo. The forearm does hit hard but none of the slaps really make contact. That's enough to completely throw off whatever plan Terunofuji might have had. Hakuho gets a good grip, loses it and does everything he can with the arm as quickly and aggressively as he can to drop Terunofuji to the ground. Hakuho was never going to beat him in a strength on strength fight so he made sure Terunofuji couldn't ever get set.

I think the goal from the staredown to the 'No, you will squat first", and finally the slaps was to get to Terunofuji to goad him into reacting, and as soon as he slapped back his defense dropped. After that Hakuho just opened up the bag of tricks with the grip, a blocked leg trip that left Terus arm open, then he yanked for all it was worth. You're right, Hakuho was never going to win with strength, it was all mind games and as much of a cliche as it is, keeping Terunofuji from doing his style of sumo.

Kenning posted:

As a special note, GoatSeeGuy has now logged 7 straight kachi-koshi, and proving that they remain our Hakuho.

Well poo poo, I guess it's been fun guys. Off to get a haircut.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 2, 2021

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

2 more Ishiura losses in July would have opened the door for an Enho-Ishiura-Hokuseiho potential Juryo playoff but alas.

If the JSA doesn’t keep Abi in Juryo one more basho just out of spite I wouldn’t be shocked at a Hokuseiho-Enho playoff in November. Enho was looking good in inter-stable practice and has another 2 months to heal. Hokuseiho is just Hokuseiho.*

*He’s either going 13-2 or 2-13 for his Juryo debut. He’s smart, strong, and huge but his tachiai sucked as of July and he’s going to be facing guys that have been there/done that from here on out.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

jmzero posted:

Just once? Kintamayama retires 3 times a year.

He says he's probably moving back to the US a year early due to IRL work stuff, so he'll be there for November and maybe January depending on his schedule.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Apraxin posted:

Going to start supporting Tatsunami's new jonokuchi guy, just for his shikona:

Don't sleep on Shohazan's buddy at East Jonokuchi #11.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Meisei
Ichinojo
Mitakeumi

M1-5:
Hoshoryu
Takayasu
Wakatakakage

M6-10:
Tobizaru
Ura
Chiyoshoma

M11+:
Hokutofuji
Kotonowaka
Abi

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Oh snap! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIYryjFsk2g

According to Chris Sumo former Yokozuna and current uncle/mean tweeter of Hoshoryu, Asashoryu is going to Kyushu to watch the tournament in person.

Asashoryu retired before getting Takagenjied by the JSA after drunkenly breaking a waiter's nose but never got his citizenship so he wasn't eligible for elder stock. Apparently he hosed off back to Mongolia and got Hakuho-style rich investing in local Mongolian businesses. Newer fans may just know him as the guy who roasts his nephew online after losses. Poor kid is going 14-1 or 1-14 in November.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Yokozuna in a blue jacket alert.

https://twitter.com/hochi_otani/status/1459511471138742272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

I’m stuck in 3-2 hell, sure it’s a winning record and all but….

I am become Shodai, the destroyer of worlds.