Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The Nagoya Screwjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think daishoho’s nose got broken in tachi-ai. The ref paused the match and the yobi’s wiper up a good deal of blood, then had to salt and clean the doyo afterwards.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dear god, MidnightSumo's chat is hilarious. They were racking up some good jabs at Ryuden during his Juryo match.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1550337037458636800

:lmao:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fusensho Yuusho incoming. :smith:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

At least Enho won today. :unsmith:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

For crying out loud..
Tochi, my guy, Chiyoshoma was 5-7, you KNEW he was going to pull some henka poo poo, c'mooooon. :smith:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Anyone know the name of the cow/bull trophy they hand out? I'm trying to hunt for a good high resolution photo of it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That was a fun little match.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Brut posted:

The English commentary was reasonable like 13 out of 15 days until they made them start working solo, then it became awful most of the time. I like Abema's coverage, I wish I could just pay for their product and use it normally instead of having to go through a VPN to watch.
What provider do you use? I tried Nord but hit a geoblock.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Had a poster on a discord server go hard getting people to join them in watching a stream of the September 2019 basho, I was hooked after one day.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It looks like the seller only ships to the EU.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Thauros posted:

sumo manager in the vein of football manager where you run a heya
That would probably be a hell of a lot "easier" to code as opposed to an actual sumo fighting game too.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

No Mods No Masters posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYGKSt0zxg4

Say what you will about the old sumo men but they somehow allowed this
Both sumo and horse racing have a long and storied history of loving around with the yakuza, so it's a marriage made in heaven.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Y/O:
Shodai
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Ichinojo
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Takayasu
Meisei

M6-10:
Onosho
Nishikifuji
Myogiryu

M11+:
Hiradoumi
Ryuden
Mitoryu

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lid posted:

Hakuho's retirement fight is iconic, but to me the more memorable one is his fight with Shodai before that where he fought in a way that managed to be "i have nothing but utter contempt for you and you are a disgrace to your ranking" in physical form
For any new folks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TiN6eIzgm0

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Shiroc posted:

Takakeisho should bring back that mawashi

And we can't discuss Hakuho without this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEJxwKP_x2Y

Does anyone have the video where he henkas Harumafuji out into space? I can't find it.
I think it's this one from Osaka 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SOPh9Uu5cc

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looks like Abema is using some different camera angles for tachi-ai? A lot of matches, the camera seemed off center and way too zoomed in.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kind of a yikes moment from Asanoyama vs Kawazoe in Makushita tonight:
https://clips.twitch.tv/CallousAlluringKoupreySMOrc-s3GCfkrR_O1ToBr1

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

JohnCompany posted:

Why wouldn't there have been a mono-i on Tochinoshin v. Hokutofuji?
That fight totally should have had a mono-ii. Thanks, grumpy sumo judges!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Time for a Goonzeki Gang play by play stream.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fluffdaddy posted:

multiple elders in the thread confirmed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hirayuki posted:

A (vanishing) number of cable providers offer NHK World, which shows a daily makuuchi digest. I believe it's available on Roku, too.
Sometimes their daily digest does not show every makuuchi match, and I don't really understand why.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lid posted:

apparently the US way to see it isn't NHK World but TV Japan which has some premium version that has the full two hour broadcast in English

of course trying to deal with it is labyrinthine in its difficulty
Yeah it's bad and expensive. I'd need Direct TV or my local cable provider, and then a premium package, and THEN a separate payment for TV Japan.

Boogalo posted:

I watch twitch JP abema streams until the NHK youtube ones go live. Keep up with who is up by the results list on the nhk website. Its kinda fun trying to follow youtube channels around as they get banned. Usually happens at least once a basho. NHK could wise up and just sell a stream for $10 per event and make a bunch of cash but noooo we cant make it too easy to watch our stuff or buy our merch.
I just have to hold out hope that Sumo Prime Time keeps gaining momentum, which gives the Slightly Less Grumpy Sumo Elders the ammo they need to drag the Very Grumpy Sumo Elders into agreeing to create an in-house subscription service for live matches. Or perhaps to get them to try and push NHK to offer a basho-only streaming feed outside Japan.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

My stable is in tatters at the end of the first week, but I'm Ride or Shodai for my boys. C'mon week two rally!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It looks like there are at least 4 women near the front row in full geisha getup. Cool!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Jesus CHRIST the Wakamoto v Tochi match: https://clips.twitch.tv/AmusedCleanHabaneroVoHiYo-hT-RopCCY5QIAvHq

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I’m on a Makushita party barge. :smith:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Today I learned, the Kokugikan has a members-only lounge that is open during the three times a year sumo is in Tokyo: https://lounge.sumo.or.jp

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I, for one, welcome our new Hokuenho Yokozuna.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

According to Mainichi from a Nattosumo video, Teru has osteoarthritis in both knees, so yeah i don't see him staying around too much longer.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

:chanpop:

I continue to stand by my brand of fantasy sumo which is never trading
I tried your brand, and if there was a fantasy Makushita, I'd be on that barge right now. Time to change stuff up for November.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 15 is going to be super tense. Can’t wait!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lexorin posted:

So close to being the negative yokozuna, but Bentai is to strong!
I am the best at being the worst!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

And now I want a Tobizaru yusho while he does "Circus Sumo."

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

anakha posted:

The best henkas are when they're telegraphed and still work.

I loved that during Ichinojo's debut in makuuchi, he beat both Kisenosato and Kakuryu by doing a matta at the start to give the impression he was full of nervous energy and wanted to charge in, then at the actual tachi-ai, both opponents were expecting a clash and got bamboozled by the henka. Watching both matches, I was saying "I would henka here" after the matta, and was delighted when he did go for it.
The best part of the Kisenosato match is the guy in the grey flatcap absolutely beside himself that Ichinojo would henka.

He's probably on the YDC now.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's Christmas in October.

Terutsuyoshi managed to stay in the top rank, but at the veeeery bottom. The people's yokozuna, Tokushoryu, is at Juryo 12, Enho at Juryo 11. Chiyomaru at J1, if he pulls out a decent KK he might get back up top in January?

Bentai fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 30, 2022

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Watching college sumo on midnights channel, the vibe is so much different. You’ve got teammates screaming support, the wrestlers are super pumped after a victory. So much fun to watch.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Y/O:
Takakeisho
The Ghost of Hakuho
SHODAI

S/K:
Tobizaru
Wakatakakage
Tamawashi

M1-5:
Takayasu
Ura
Wakamotoharu

M6-10:
Ryuden
Endo
Abi (please come back :smith:)

M11+:
Atamifuji
Terutsuyoshi
Hiradoumi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah that was awful. I hope he gets better soon. :smith:
The fight itself wasn't bad, but the audio was pretty gross.