Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder if they’ll do something like GeForce Experience’s settings autopilot for the Deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

None of that kind of infrastructure exists on Linux.

Which infrastructure? I don’t mean the GeForce Experience application itself, but rather just having canned settings that match the Deck’s capabilities, which can be dropped into the config location as defaults.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The game instrumentation for automated benchmarking and configuration tweaking that's necessary to figure the "optimal" canned settings in the first place.

Oh, I figure they’d have the game developers do it and let them have a Deck Certified logo or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

It would be a really big win for the steam os if it could set TDP on a per game basis. Right now it requires user intervention and it’s a bit of a pain to figure out which settings work best.

Like if you want to run Stardew it would auto down clock to 5w and you would get 5 hours of battery.

Apple calls this “App Nap”, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

I had to double check but it’s actually for background apps. I’m not sure Apple does it?

The app has to opt into it but yeah, I think you’re right. I thought it was a way to opt into slower event loops between meaningful events, but apparently not.

Oh well!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, so nothing like GeForce Experience at all.

Like the automatic settings aspect of GeForce Experience only, in that it is automatic settings. Sorry if I was unclear!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not DLSS, that’s for sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that's weird, I wouldn't love that if it happened

It grows on you after a while.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cabbages and Kings posted:

something that's vaporware

haven’t we seen video of the device in operation?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m sort of surprised that’s not the case for submarines as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the deck can be used as a Steam controller, right? Looking forward to trying that in FFXIV

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Time to start learning how to play FFXIV on controller I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ColdPie posted:

Remember that guy who was like, Microsoft's Xbox game studios are going to sabotage games in Proton? Here's a higher up guy at Xbox Games marketing on that topic:

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/1501973514684813320

Dastardly!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought my then-wife a 3DS for her to use during labour and got shushed away so she could pay attention to it during the long wait part of the process. “Should have got one for yourself, sucker!”

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 13, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volte posted:

Now that takes me back to 2005

can we install enlightenment?!?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Veotax posted:

There was a recent update to FFXIV that forces the updated launcher with the Steam version of the game which is apparently not Proton compatible. I don't know if a thridparty launcher like XIVLauncher would work though.

XIVLauncher works on Windows if you add it as a non-Steam game to your library. (Or without that even, if you remember to start Steam first.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What does Valve do to keep malicious actors from poisoning the shared shader cache? Anything?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dramicus posted:

How would poisoning it work, and what kind of consequences would there be? Like would it just stop games from booting due to corrupt shaders, or would it be as bad as remote file execution?

Poisoning it would involve writing some software that pretended to be, e.g. Elden Ring and sending some bullshit in instead of the real shader compilation results.

Based on my limited-but-non-zero experience with trying to secure a shader pipeline, it could probably be pretty bad. That software expects to be fed by a non-malicious source.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FBS posted:

I didn't get my Deck email but I did get two separate wishlist sale notifications that gave me some false hope.

I’m not due until Q3, but I got fooled today by wishlist mails as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sigh, 4.12% for US-region 512.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I bet it'll start zooming through the hours pretty quick now that they've gotten through the bulk of the initial rush

From your lips to Gabe’s ear…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People who have Decks: how is the battery drain when sleeping? One thing I don’t like about my Switch (maybe the only thing other than lack of Bluetooth audio) is that after a few days of sleeping the battery is dead or nearly so.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

It seems pretty drat good tbh.

It’s way better than the switch imo

Sweet, thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heran Bago posted:

Update your Switch and look at the bottom of the settings, they patched in support for Bluetooth audio output at some point.

Thank you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Disappointing Pie posted:

So do they send out a wave of emails every day at a certain time? This calculator expects I have two days of orders left but I feel it’s said that for a while now. And the % of the way there seems very low to be roughly two days out. Unless I’m not understanding what it’s saying lol.

It's 2 days' worth of accumulated queue during the early pre-order that's left, not two calendar days until you get your email.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the best screen protector? What about traveling case? I’m going to accumulate accessories now that I’m at 47%.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jokes posted:

It comes with probably the ideal traveling case, and I think dbrand is the go-to for device screen protectors

OK, thanks. I guess I should have added that it’s the 512 with the etched glass screen. I suppose any protector is going to ruin the matte/anti-glare finish though…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Went from 46% to 73% today—I can feel it! Time to start controller practice!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish I could find a PS TV hardware somewhere for cheap...

oh my dude…I recycled one two weeks ago that sat new in box for years. I’ll see if the place still has it to buy back and if so you can have it for shipping cost (from Canada)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homeless snail posted:

Why on earth would you recycle one, they sell for several hundred dollars.

It was part of a bunch of electronics crap that I’ve been cluttering the office with, and I just got fed up with all of it and took it to the electronics recycling place. I hadn’t touched any of it in years, and I just wanted to have the space back so we could finally put my fiancée’s stuff away properly. I wouldn’t have bothered with eBay I’m sure, but if I knew it was in demand I would have given it away!

Will check in with them tomorrow!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GreenBuckanneer posted:

if you find it I'll hold you to it :pray:

checked with them today, it got sent to some other aggregator or something (the guy wasn’t making perfect sense), so no joy. sorry to get your hopes up

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I ordered a 512GB SD card through the Shop app and a Shopify store, but it arrived in an Amazon envelope. Guess I’m testing that bad boy out!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heran Bago posted:

When typing with the trackpads like with the Steam controller, if you position the cursor near the border between virtual keys, it is up in the air if it will register something or not. That's all software.

I read somewhere, maybe up-thread, that they were fixing it to not have dead space between the keys any more, which I think will help.

How do I get started with emulation? Never done it but it basically feels mandatory on this device. I used emudeck to install a lot of stuff but I need yuzu keys and firmware and there are “cores” to select and a thing called a ROM Manager and…I really just want to see an old Final Fantasy or Zelda or Pokémon start up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a way to have multiple user accounts on the Deck so that they can have separate save files and such, without different Steam accounts? I haven’t been able to construct the right Google query to find out about anything but multiple Steam accounts.

E: also, is there a way to keep it logged in on a PC and the Deck at the same time?

Also also, how do I tell the Steam app that it can install Windows games on the Deck remotely? It sees it as a Linux target and doesn’t let me install anything that doesn’t have a Linux version.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 13, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does anyone have a pointer to something describing what a development setup looks like for Desktop apps? I know it’s “just KDE” but I’ve fallen for that before. All the Valve docs are (quite reasonably) about games for the…gaming side(?).

Also if anyone knows of a tool for making controller configs outside of the SteamOS UI, please speak up and save me from myself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homeless snail posted:

Not exactly sure what you're expecting to find. If you're distributing Linux native binaries on Steam the recommendation is to target the Steam Runtimeto paper over any abi poo poo. But if you're not doing that then, probably just make flatpaks. That's pretty standard 2022 Linux stuff though, there's nothing special going on in their Linux environment other than the ro root.

Did Linux finally get its poo poo together and I don’t need to worry about which micro-version of Qt and which old release of gcc are necessary to build something that works? I am so happy! Time to write some lovely code and give up because of some undocumented Steam thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homeless snail posted:

No they just gave up, that's what flatpak is. Statically linked libraries against a prepackaged runtime.

Oh man, that is rich. Thanks for the guidance, I’ll read up on flatpak.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ColdPie posted:

No. If you're distributing binary software, just target Win32 and run it in Wine. Win32 is the only stable ABI on Linux (web is too, I guess).

I can’t tell if you’re making fun of me or giving me really good advice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a way to keep Steam on my desktop from needing my Steam Guard code to re-login after I play a game on the Deck? The Deck doesn't seem to have the opposite problem, so I'm hoping there's a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cowman posted:

Edit: Ok I can't take screenshots of desktop mode from what I can tell but I'll do a writeup over my lunch break of the steps I took to install it and post it in this thread.

Can you bind a button to Shift+PrtScr or just PrtScr, or run spectacle somehow?