Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I'm hoping Proton - and the Linux community as a whole - eventually figures out ARM/Apple Silicon compatibility, since the new Macs seem like a great value for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Where the reviews at?

Tomorrow at around 1 PM EST.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Because they literally don't have a choice. They cannot afford to commission AMD to design them a custom SoC like Valve did, so they're forced to use off-the-shelf parts, and are bound to whatever configuration those use. Intel and AMD both favor CPU over GPU in their products, so that's how it goes.

Valve is really coming at the market with every unfair advantage they can leverage. Which is fine for the most part, it's certainly good for the consumer to have such a cheap and efficient option, but lol at Valve's claims that the steam deck will somehow help foster competition instead of bury it. There's really no way to compete with the steam deck at all as a third party except to rely on the fact that Valve can't make them fast enough.

Boutiques still won't be able to compete with the Deck on price, but won't the new mobile Rembrandt APUs outperform Van Gogh in both CPU and GPU?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Can you set up an FTP server or SMB network share on your Windows computer? Steam OS should be able to connect to both of those.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
This is an honest question. Why would someone suggest setting up intermediately complicated solutions like SFTP instead of a SMB share, which is trivial on Windows? Is it a security issue to make sure nobody is hacking into your WiFi network to access your ROMs?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

untzthatshit posted:

Deck has arrived and it's great! Having the thing in my hands has risen a couple questions tho..

So I get that the dock is being sold separately and later. I did think that I read though that the usb-c port can be used to run it to a monitor. So I could plug in a usb-c. To HDMI or something like that, but there are no other ports on the steam deck that I can see. So how would you then get any peripherals hooked up? Part of my thought process in getting the deck was that I could plug it in to a monitor and play some games w the mouse and keyboard, then walk downstairs and plug it into the tv and grab a controller. So do I need to wait for the dock before that's fully realizable? Or I suppose there must be some way to pair a wireless keyboard and mouse straight to the deck, although generally those require the USB dongles.

Also I've had issues launching one game, which is OlliOlli World. It worked the first time I played it but all subsequent attempts get locked on the steam boot up screen with a message saying "running install script". I've tried uninstalling but it just gets hung up on the uninstall screen and never moves forward. On restart the games still installed. Anyone else encounter anything like this either w this game or another?

You can plug in a dongle, you can connect a Bluetooth kb/m, or you can buy any old usb-C hub and plug the kb/m into that.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I know they'll never do it because it'll just provide more opportunities for disappointed nerds to rage out at them if they can't deliver, but it'd be nice if they could narrow down the Q2 delivery dates to April/May/June now that they're starting Q2 shipments next week.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Apparently the e-mails went out a little early this week, because I just received mine.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch to desktop mode, or at least to bring up the power menu so I don't have to hold down the power button?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Has anyone successfully hooked up a Steam Deck to two external displays? I tried hooking up a 1440p@60/75 hz monitor (through DP) and a 1200p@60 hz monitor, trying both HDMI and VGA to this hub:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FN1YK92/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_nw_mr

Hooking up the first monitor through DP works fine, but the second monitor either works, but causes the Steam Deck to stop connecting altogether to the 1440p monitor (when I try through HDMI), or it sees the second monitor, but the monitor doesn't get a signal (through the VGA port). I also tried disabling the internal display in case there was a 2 screen limit overall, but that didn't do it. I tried the first monitor at both 60 hz and 75 hz.

Both monitors are getting power from the wall and not the hub.

Unfortunately, I don't have another device to easily hook up to the hub to see if it's a problem with the hub or the Deck, so I was curious to see if anyone has gotten a two monitor setup working, since I've seen absolutely zero documentation about it online.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

.Ataraxia. posted:

Saw this on Reddit today, but of course the OP doesn't explain what they used to do it.

Thanks, you're right that it was extremely uninformative.

I remembered that I have a laptop with a tb3 port despite it being a few years old and plugged that in. I had the same problem with not being able to use the DP/HDMI ports at the same time, but Windows did recognize the second monitor through the VGA connection, although it was only letting me max out at 1024x768 for that one.

Maybe it's a problem with the monitor, since it's probably 15+ years old: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/572816-REG/Samsung_T260HD_Touch_of_Color_T260HD.html

And maybe I should just return this dock and wait for the official one, since I only bought it for the dual-monitor support.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
And it's only a refundable $5 deposit to get a spot in line. If your turn comes up and you decide it's an early adopter beta test piece of poo poo, you're not out any money (even putting aside the fact that you'd definitely turn a profit reselling it).

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
They're shipping from Illinois, so you can probably find a map somewhere that shows the various Fedex shipping zones and estimated ship times.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Framboise posted:

Genuine, honest question from someone who lives in a state who has largely been back to "normal" for over half a year now: why are the delays still so bad? Are other areas just that locked down still? Is it a shortage of actual supplies or workers?

China has had major lockdowns recently, but even if the world was now running at full throttle, the global supply chain is still backed up from when everything was broken.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

It's not going to replace the Switch for people or anything, the Switch still has a lot of features as a console that the Deck just doesn't replicate (docked mode offering a power increase, downloads not being a pain in the rear end, an OLED screen, etc.) and frankly to get maximum potential out of this thing you are going to be doing a lot of tweaking, especially if you want more than an hour and a half of battery life. But it is indeed what Valve promised, a handheld gaming PC with a ton of customization options, a surprising amount of power, and a way of opening up games that haven't been playable portably ever before. I've yet to come across a game that runs disappointingly on this thing, though I'll admit I haven't tried Cyberpunk.

I don't really agree with your first point at all, since a docked Switch still performs badly when compared to a Deck, so if anything, it's a minus and not a plus that you can have two differing performance profiles that are both much worse, "Ugh, guess I have to play this game docked since I get 10 FPS in handheld mode."

You should've just mentioned the hassle-free, plug and play docking experience, which the Deck definitely doesn't have, although hopefully it'll be remedied by the standardized dock and accompanied OS updates when it's released.

And I haven't had any problems with downloads, although I haven't used an SD card yet, so maybe that adds a pain point.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Ha. It has a nice looking style for a little Zelda clone. Might check it out. Not sure how I never heard of it in the last decade.

It’s probably more on valve than Microsoft. MS would probably throw a native gamepass option on there is valve let them. I’m hoping there’s a better option than cloud gaming or installing windows in the future but I’m not holding my breath

Nothing is stopping Microsoft from releasing a native Linux Gamepass client if they really wanted to.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I don't think Microsoft would ever do it, I was just pointing out that the Steam Deck is a Linux PC and not a Valve console, so Valve isn't stopping Microsoft from releasing anything.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

woke kaczynski posted:

Quoting this in the desperate hope someone here has figured out how to get Desktop Dungeons functioning instead of immediately quitting out

Have you tried running it in windowed mode?

https://www.protondb.com/app/226620

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Obviously, its just an indication of what might be going on, especially since Sony groups all their global PS5 sales numbers with PS4 numbers. Japan is one of the few places where we can get clear numbers as to what's selling on which platform.

Sony won't separate the PS5 game sales from PS4, they always offer the total number. I have a feeling PS5 is only a tiny fraction of that number.

Japan has always been mobile-centric, so the Switch basically took Nintendo's already dominant handheld hardware sales and rolled up its "console" sales into it. So you can't extrapolate anything about global PS5 sales from Famitsu sales charts.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Opening the Deck felt like a premium product, but then I started getting into it and remembered this is a really experimental device that requires you check video and control settings for each game, which seems absurd when you’re coming from a Switch.

I was really excited for the trackpads but so far they’re always way too sensitive and I just default to using the sticks. The shoulder buttons are hard for my index fingers to reach when I’m holding it which is a huge bummer. I agree the paddle buttons behind the grips are useless (to me) and also make holding it something I have to actively think about.

Maybe I need more time with it but I might end up selling it as well. I also have all consoles and a gaming pc so this was probably dumb purchase for me anyway but I can’t help myself :negative:

Even when the Deck matures beyond being an "experimental device," you're still going to have to fine-tune controls and video settings, because it's a PC and not a console, and developers aren't targeting a single hardware SKU.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
This may be a little OT, but does anyone have recommendations for 2D top-down action-adventure games (basically A Link to the Past)? I have a surprisingly low amount of that type of game in my Steam library (only Chronicon, CrossCode and Cubetractor).

I'm also good with something that has a little more RPG (something like Crystalis).

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks for all of the recommendations, everyone. I think I'll pick up Blossom Tales immediately, since it's on sale, but I've wishlisted a bunch of others.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

OLED burn-in hasn’t been a thing in years

I don't know how long "years" is, but my s8+ had massive, obvious burn-in by sometime in 2019.

Edit: I don't even know whether it would be considered burn-in or burn-out but it caused patterns all over my screen that were 100% obvious whenever lighter colors were displayed.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 10, 2022

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Animal posted:

The panel would have to support those arbitrary refresh rate settings. I’m not sure how much of that would be a problem with small OLED screens, but I hope it’s a non issue since most high end smartphones these days use OLED panels with variable refresh rates.

I guess we do, I value image quality in my games and movies as a top priority, and am willing to pay a premium for hardware that will more closely approximate the developer/filmmaker’s vision.

I would definitely be surprised if the average PC developer is targeting OLED screens, considering OLED displays make up a minuscule percentage of PC displays.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The $5 deposit was also refundable as Steam credit, so zero-risk unless you were never again planning on purchasing anything on Steam.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

untzthatshit posted:

So how big can we go on a monitor with this thing?

I'd like to get a sizeable widescreen for work but it'd be great if I could also plug in the deck. I have been running it to my 46" tv and I'll notice some pixel tearing and weird graphical glitches on certain games, like FF7 or Stray. But then Sekiro looks perfect.

Is there any reason to assume I wouldn't see similar performance on a 36" ultra wide?

It's the resolution that matters, not the screen size.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

untzthatshit posted:

See thread title.

I'm eyeballing a 3440x1440. So not quite 4k, mostly I want the ultra wide screen. But thats still a bit of a step up from my 1080p tv screen so Im mostly wondering if it'll exacerbate some of the graphical glitches I'm already seeing or if a higher resolution but smaller screen kinda evens out?

Even 1080p is pushing it, considering the Deck is natively 800p. You could always scale down the display res on your monitor and see how ugly it looks.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Coffee Jones posted:

trip report: arch linux and Steam Deck

Would like the steamdeck to replace my Ivy Bridge personal use laptop for personal projects + browsing, etc. I know Linux from the Debian family, so Ubuntu, PopOS. Arch is new to me.

let's install: VSCode from the Discover Software Center (also contains one click installs to torrent software. Valve DGAF)
I don't know what's going on, but the version that comes with this doesn't set up bash properly it's just starts /bin/sh. Can't even sudo. Kinda weird, never seen it do that before.

Discover version on the left, workaround on the right

turns out you need to install the version that comes with pacman, the Arch package manager.
BUT steamOS apparently declares items installed with pacman as an OS level component. Doing anything with pacman results in PGP errors where Arch can't validate the validity of its own packages.

From this article
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/671A-4453-E8D2-323C
you'd need to do
`sudo steamos-readonly disable`

and other sources suggest
Initialize the pacman keyring: `sudo pacman-key --init`
Populate the pacman keyring with the default Arch Linux keys: `sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux`

and
`sudo pacman -S code` will install a version of VS code from earlier in the year with the MS telemetry removed.

Valve says that it's possible anything installed via pacman might be deleted in the next OS upgrade, so this whole thing is definitely "off label" use. nbd, I can restore it all with a script.

If you see anything emulation related built for the Deck with Tauri maybe this is the start of it. :)

SteamOS has an immutable filesystem, which is why disabling readonly will cause changes that require it to be reverted when SteamOS updates. Discover is for flatpak packages, which don't get overwritten. I'm not the one to ask about this, but maybe you could possibly use Flatseal to fix your issues with the Discover/flatpak version of VSC, if it happens to be some sort of permission/access problem?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but I just meant, like a no hassle way to access it right through the steam OS menu where you could, DL, play games etc. I meant it seems like Valve would be unlikely to want that on there, especially accessed directly through steam.

Speaking of, I guess there is really no such thing as an "app" (I mean games are obviously apps but you know what I mean, streaming, lifestyle stuff etc)for Steam OS at least at this point in time anyways.

It sounds like you are confusing/conflating Steam and SteamOS. You can install a program from desktop mode and add it to Steam. Desktop mode is still SteamOS.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
1. I just received a 512 GB SD card from Amazon today (definitely sold by Amazon and not a 3rd party seller). The Steam Deck formatted it fine, but it's showing up as 468.9 GB free instead of ~477 GB. Is that a bad sign, or does SteamOS have some overhead that could cause this? It's a Samsung Evo Select, if that matters.

2. I don't have an SD card reader for my laptop, so is there any flatpak software I can install on the Deck itself to test the card?

3. I noticed when loading the Discover store that there are system updates to things like the KDE Application Platform and Mesa drivers. Is there a reason why Steam isn't automatically bundling those in system updates, and should I be leaving them alone instead of updating?

Thanks.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The ext4 filesystem that the Deck uses preallocates metadata (inode tables), so with the default inode ratio you do lose quite a bit of space.

Usually I use an inode ratio of 1M and it works fine with much less lost space. Which reminds me I should manually format my 1 TB SD card when it comes to do that.

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't upset about the "missing" GB so much as I was worried about the card being genuine or not.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Flatpak uses pretty much its own separate isolated operating system image for its applications, including GPU drivers. Flatpak apps use those drivers, Steam uses SteamOS drivers.

It's set up that way to avoid compatibility issues across different Linux distributions by bringing its own containerized "distribution".

Makes sense, although for some reason I thought each individual Flatpak app had its own container of libraries, in case two different apps in your OS require different versions of the same library.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Mescal posted:

is there a sudo on the desktop? like when windows prompts you to do something as admin?

Yes, but you have to set the password in a terminal with passwd.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The people who think a Switch is more comfortable to hold must have much smaller hands than I do, and I'm a beanpole with skinny hands.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

sigher posted:

Also maybe jump into the Preview build of SteamOS and you can turn Screen Tearing off (it's on by default on Deck) which will lower the input delay.

I think it's turning on "Allow Screen Tearing."

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

If they just took the Deck controls and slapped them into a controller shell with no changes I’d still be happy tbh.

As for Steam Machines 2.0 I feel like Valve would have to subsidise them in some way at least, the biggest beef mini PC out there (Minisforum NUCx i7 with a 3070) is over $1000 and you’re gonna need at least something that can handle 1080p60 reliably for $500 I feel to really get that concept rolling again.

You definitely don't need a 3070 to handle 1080p60. Next year's Phoenix Point APUs are going to be around that level of performance. Remember that any Steam Machine APU isn't going to be handicapped by the Steam Deck's power/thermal limits.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I just updated my steam deck and the two apps I had installed in Desktop mode suddenly stopped working (just Firefox and a vpn, but I’m in China, so basically nothing is usable, including discover, without the vpn). What happened there? It’s not a really big deal, it’s just a little annoying since I had to install dependencies through the console to get the vpn client working and I forget what they are.

SteamOS has an immutable file system, so if you start installing dependencies, there's a good chance they'll be wiped out with each OS update. That's why the Discover store is just displaying flatpaks, because flatpaks (with any dependencies they need) are installed in their own siloed off containers.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The left analog stick on a DS4 is perfectly usable, while the dpad on an Xbox controller is loving worthless.

I guess if you only play 3D AAA games on Xbox, the dpad doesn't matter at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
It seems like every Linux GUI package manager frontend sucks in some way.

To be fair, Microsoft has spent millions of dollars on making the Microsoft Store a useless pile of garbage that can eat your hard drive space when you uninstall apps unless you reinstall the OS.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 24, 2023