Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is there a way to trigger a radial menu that involves a key press other than the stick/touchpad?

im trying to set up the Perfect traditional roguelike controller input scheme here where i use a radial menu for the 8-directional movement, mapped from the numpad like so:

however, inputs in trad roguelikes are very important since they spend your entire turn so it's very important that there are no misclicks or faulty inputs, so doing something like "release stick/pad to input" is out of the picture. pressing the stick/pad feels completely awful also since it's so awkward to do

so what i want is to just use the stick/pad to select an input on the radial menu and then use a second button (face button, trigger, back button, whatever) to actually activate the radial menu selection. is this possible please tell me this is possible i beg it would solve all my problems

e: for those who know this is basically just trying to emulate how Tangledeep did controller inputs and i think it's an absolutely genius way to do trad roguelike movement on a controller. i just need this one thing!

all i've been able to find on google is this one post from 9 months ago trying to do the exact same thing but with no solution. i've already tried what the one reply here suggests and set one of the buttons to do a stick press but that does not affect the radial menu/internals at all only the game input
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/yl8dzv/confirmselect_radial_menu_items_with_a_button/

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Not quite what you're looking for, but you can have the action activate only if a chosen button (Steam calls this a chord button) is being held when the radial menu activator is released.

When you create a Radial Virtual Menu, set the activator to Button Chord (by default it's Regular Press), and in the Settings choose whatever you want your chord button to be. This isn't what you asked for, but it might be a good enough compromise.

The Radial Menu type should be set to Touch Release, but it seems to also work with Click (sometimes???).

Here's a demonstration. I'm using the left stick to bring up the menu. The A button activates movement, if it's being held when the stick is released. Nothing happens if it's not.

https://i.imgur.com/nU0FVc8.mp4

I didn't test this much, so it's possible I'm not thinking of something that'll break it.
i've kept looking and this is by far the closest to a solution i've been so i'm gonna try it out and i'll report back! it's less satisfying than the proper solution but from everything i can tell it's simply not possible to do it like that :negative:

just for posterity i also got a gif of how tangledeep does its movement - the left stick selects a direction but doesn't move the player. pressing the A button moves you to the tile you're pointing to and you can keep holding a direction and A to keep going in that direction (or change direction while holding down A for that matter). it's quite wonderful and by far the best solution i've seen to oldschool 8-directional movement on a controller, but it's not something you can add to an existing game without a really sophisticated input mapper (which i was hoping steam deck had)

https://i.imgur.com/6yhQ27V.mp4

e: touch release is behaving completely buggy and will just stop working or keep repeating inputs forever so this doesn't work either :negative:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 27, 2023

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think I’m on to something close.

I set the left track pad to a radial menu with my inputs (I just tested with four d-pad directions for a game but this could be 8 keypad inputs for a rogue like or whatever inputs you need).

Then for each button’s setting, I changed “regular press” to “button chord” and under “settings” within each button set the chord button to R4.

Now in the game, the menu will appear whenever I touch the track pad but clicking it does nothing unless I’m already holding R4 before clicking.

Not quite what you were looking for but it’s at least probably going to stop accidental presses.

Edit: okay somehow I completely misread the post you were responding to that basically just did this exact same solution but with touch release instead of click. I’m an idiot.

it's okay it was worth a shot :negative:

another thing i've tried now (courtesy of a smart friend) was to set the radial menu to instead change action layers and then each action layer has a different input for the same button - switch to the "up" layer and now the button moves up, switch to the "left" layer and now the button moves left

it works perfectly.......... except the steam input crashes if you switch between the layers too fast :shepface: so in the end it doesn't work at all. this is maddeningly frustrating because i'm so close and yet nothing works.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

I'm just using the default profile, the analog sensitivity is a bit higher than I'd usually use but I've gotten used to it.

why is the default sensitivy so wacky anyway?

i thought i had trouble controlling things with the stick until i went into the settings and saw that it's at like 275% sensitivity by default. turned it down to 100% and it works fine. similarly had to reduce the trackpad sensitivty by a ton and also turn off the ball mode

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i genuinely have no idea how anyone gets any use out of the trackpads especially with the default settings :negative:

on the topic of controls, has anyone in here figured out The Secret to games with 8-directional movement (read: traditional roguelikes) on the deck? i'm still heartbroken that the radial menu idea didn't pan out and one of the reasons i wanted a deck in the first place was to be able to sit down in bed all comfy with some rogue

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

Use the sticks?

no it doesn't work like that - the games are turn-based and you traditionally use 8 different keys to control your movement (typically numpad 1,4,7,8,9,6,3,2) to step in that direction and each step takes up your turn

an analog stick is a terrible fit for this due to accidental inputs, repeated inputs, missed inputs (meant to go up-left, accidentally inputted up) and so on

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I would create an on-screen menu that matches the numpad layout and map it to a trackpad. I would only have the action confirm when you release from a full key press, which would avoid accidental misclicks if you happen to brush the trackpad.

i should probably have mentioned the things i've already tried and outlined in my previous posts but this was one of them and unfortunately the trackpad release and press is very inconsistent and will sometimes spam inputs or just not work at all

the absolute ideal solution for me would be if i could use a different button (like a face button) to confirm the radial input of a trackpad or control stick but the input system doesn't support this so it's back to square one

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah a touchpad radial menu set to only input on release will allow you to see what you're inputting before you do it. Just set the center portion to a key that doesnt have any effect in game so that you can lift your finger without being forced to input a command

like i said input on touch release is way too fiddly to work properly - sometimes it'll fail to register entirely and other times it'll just keep inputting (presumably because the touch sensitivity is triggering a constant press/release)

i'll try setting a radial menu on the d-pad and see if that's any more reliable
e: nvm, the dpad doesn't really have a way to cancel an input after you've clicked on it

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 2, 2023

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

I've got this working with the following steps:
  1. Create two radial menus (radial_1, radial_2) as you would like the layout to be ("8,9,6,3,2,1,4,7" for numpad)
  2. Adjust radial_1:
    • Change every item to be triggered via "button chord", and set their chord buttons to "None"
  3. Adjust radial_2:
    • Under [Radial Menu Settings>General], change the Radial Menu Button Type to be "Touch Release"
  4. Create a new Action Set Layer (radial_layer) under the "Default" Action Set
  5. Set up Left Joystick:
    • When on "Default" Action Set, the joystick should be set to radial_1
    • When on "Default (radial_layer)", the joystick should be set to radial_2
  6. Set "A" button as radial confirmation:
    • Command 1 (on "Start Press"): Add Action Let Layer "radial_layer"
    • Command 2 (on "Release Press", with a "Fire Start Delay" of 25): Remove Action Set Layer "radial_layer"
      • turn off the "beep" and also turn Haptics to "off"

When holding a direction on the left joystick, the radial menu should appear, but the action won't trigger until "A" is pressed and released.

what the gently caress :eyepop: that's even wilder than the previous batshit solution i tried which was making it so each radial menu changed the action layer and each action layer had a different input for the same button

that solution crashed the input system if you moved the radial menu too fast (presumably it would crash if it changed the action layer too quickly) so it didn't work but after some very quick testing this one hasn't crashed yet :sax: you didn't mention which radial menu type the radial_1 menu should be but it seems like continuous works?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

Hm. I have that one set to "click" it looks like. I think if I left it on "touch release", then it would cause the commands to double-fire.
that's really strange because i'm getting no input at all if it's set to 'click'. i do get the double-fire commands if it's set to 'touch release' though, i found that out when i started messing with them

i'll give it a thorough test later! the only (minor) thing i could possibly complain about is that i can't use the A button as my enter (confirm) key now because it only activates this functionality but that's incredibly minor :v: if this works without crashing then it'll be huge so i look forward to reporting back

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

I've got this working with the following steps:

1. Set up Left Joystick:
    • When on "Default" Action Set, the joystick should be set to radial_1
    • When on "Default (radial_layer)", the joystick should be set to radial_2

okay so i discovered weird things happening here - whenever i leave the controller mapping screen the radial_2 becomes radial_1 under the left stick settings. i even created a new input map from scratch to make sure my old one wasn't cursed, set up all the radial menus again twice instead of duplicating them, set everything like you say and it looks good in the mapping but the moment i leave that screen and come back the left stick is now radial_1 again. not even radial_1 (inherited) but just straight up radial_1

what is happening

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wizard2 posted:

I had that happen to me. Did you try switching to Proton Experimental?

this solved it for me too

however even on the lowest settings locked to 30 fps and crunching the entire screen with fsr the fans are still so loud :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

Your Computer was running into some sort of issue where the assignment of the joystick would revert after being set. Not sure if they got past that or not, but let me know if it works for you or if I need to rearrange some of the steps.

sorry i completely fell down the BG3 hole and didn't get back to testing this - your suggestion of (re)creating the virtual menus from the sticks instead of in the menu seems to have worked and it's working now!

i think the only thing that bothers me with it is that it flickers whenever i press the button which is a bit uncomfortable but as far as actually working your solution is the first one i've come across so thank you so much for this :sax:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i feel like people have widely differently expectations and limits which can be really frustrating

like i've never seen anyone else mention how hard the fans are running as a downside but for me it's just too loud and i get distracted from the game. i would rather the game looked completely potato but ran silently tbh but those are my limits i guess

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

uiruki posted:

I don't have the game but if you don't mind slightly less performance try setting the TDP to 13 or 11 watts, you still get 90% or so of the performance but it should run the fans much less noisily. 11 watts seems to be where you get the most efficiency out of the Deck's processor but you can get a little boost at 13 if you need just a little more, like God of War or Lost Judgment. I've found that running it full tilt isn't worth the noise or battery drain.

i have no idea what this means or what TDP is, tell me more...

Vic posted:

People complained about it here, but it's quieter than a PS4 with similar specs. Why don't you make the game look potato?

i bought a (used) ps4 to play monster hunter and it was so loud that i stopped playing it lmao. nothing comes close to how loud the ps4 is, that machine is genuinely louder than a lot of vacuum cleaners

anyway i already tried running bg3 on the lowest possible settings and it didn't really make much difference on the fans compared to the recommended settings - still blowing at full. it's cool that the game runs on the deck at all tho, and if we're lucky the devs will keep optimizing post-launch

e:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is true, but you also don't usually have the PS4 directly in front of your face.

in the above story i didn't have a TV so i had the PS4 right next to my pc monitor and let me tell you it was not pleasant :shepface:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

TDP's in the qam performance section, the one with the battery icon. Turning down the in game settings isn't necessarily going to get you running cool enough that the fans ramp down, but if you turn the settings down to how bad you're willing to let it look, and then crank the wattage down until the framerate starts going to poo poo, you can choose exactly how much power you're drawing, which also dictates how hot its gonna run (and also how much battery life you get)

i've only ever used this section for the performance display, i didn't actually know i had all these settings... thanks!

from what i can tell the framerate limit is also a lot more stable than the one in-game so that's another plus. guess i have more stuff to tinker with!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

You probably have the lovely delta fan. You can check in settings > system

If it’s delta, you can improve things a lot by swapping it out. There’s an ifixit kit for that

i looked and i do :negative: is this bad...? i bought it during the sale so it's very recent but i guess it was old stock or something?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
if i just remove the fans altogether i'll have the quietest steam deck of all

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bumhead posted:

It's fun to see how folks mileage varies and where they draw their own lines on performance.

I think it's absolutely wild that a handheld device can run Cyberpunk and Red Dead Redemption 2 in a totally playable fashion.

But at 30-40fps with the fans going wild? Not for me. That type of stuff just pushes my personal tolerance of what's a good experience. This years Dead Space remake was a good example. It's Verified on the store and regularly mentioned as a good experience on Deck, but I could never get it to a state where I was happy with the performance and it made the Deck run really hot and loud. That stuff is just about disruptive enough to impede my enjoyment of a game.

My tastes lean more old school anyway so it's a fairly moot point for me. My biggest joy with the Deck has been running a lot of classic PC games from the 90's and early 2000's on handheld hardware, which will never fail to impress me. Running modern AAA games on the Deck is one of those curiosities that I think is objectively really cool to see happening, but that's not my use case for the machine.

big same here, all of the words :yeah:

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Mod valid above the arctic circle only
bad news i actually live close to it but due to climate change we've had incredibly hot summers the last years (like 90f+) and it sucks really bad because all our housing is built to retain as much heat as possible and air conditioning is just not a thing here :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tango alpha delta posted:

E: not quite, because I had to pay duty on top of that to import it into the Great White North.

close to $900 to get the 256gb version here because i had to import it myself, the 512 would've been too much for me :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

If it's verified, are you supposed to be using Experimental?

Are you using Vulkan or DX?

is it verified? last i checked it still had that yellow (!) and wasn't actually verified

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
are there any settings for the touchscreen?

i ask because i've been wondering why NWN did not work well using the touchscreen - particularly doing stuff like selecting options in dialogue or doing inventory just doesn't work - and i think maybe it's because the steam deck doubleclicks by default when you touch the screen? i even have a stylus which i used on the switch that i figured would be perfect for this

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

The touchscreen sorta sucks, I'd like to tinker with it somehow but I think it just sucks!

well, at least it's not just me then :v:

History Comes Inside! posted:

Touchscreens should be banned from anything that’s not a phone or a tablet tbh, because they are always a bit wank and frustrating when they’ve just been wedged into another device.

you're not wrong and i'm 100% button over touch any day of the week i just find that with ye olde crpgs where you press the mouse buttons 1000x times a minute it's actually an uncomfortable amount of strain with a controller :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

I made a controller layout that I think should remove the worst of the mousing around in NWN, you can find it here: steam://controllerconfig/704450/3018178189. You'll probably still have to pause a lot, NWN is just gonna be a bit awkward on Deck unless we can get an update from Beamdog that adds in the native controller support from the console ports.

oh! i didn't expect anyone to just come in with a NWN layout lmao. i'll check that out later, thank you :dance: how exactly do those links work?

and yea i'm mad that they never backported the console controls since they're right there. i have the game on my switch but it runs so bad i only really bought it (on a heavy discount) to see it for myself. similar thing with BG1/2 and Icewind Dale/Planescape: Torment, have the console ports right there with controller support and just never backported it to the pc versions

e: yeah i don't understand how to use that link :negative:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 10, 2023

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i heard moonlight was getting killed by nvidia, is the steam remote play feature supposed to work with the deck? i tried it briefly and it just crashed my deck when i tried to launch a game :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

Yes, Sunshine replaces Nvidia's gamestream and provides a bunch of it's own protocols for compatibility with other cards.

not super keen on installing new drivers and stuff - does it actually measure up? the reason i was so happy about moonlight is that gamestream performs 1000x better than any other streaming protocol i've tried - better bitrate, less lag, honestly kinda magic

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
we were talking about the input stuff again in the roguelike thread and i guess i'm not the only person who really wishes it was possible to activate radial menus with buttons

even if it's a long shot, does anyone in here know how to contact valve with this suggestion? i figured this was one of the more steam-centric threads to ask in

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
are y'all using the touchpad trackball mode for kb+m games and if so how do you deal with it

i've been trying to play old crpgs again but constantly having to move the "mouse" back and forth between tiny dialogue options and loot and inventory and all the things that don't have any sort of key support along with all the mouse clicking is just uncomfortable and frustrating to me and i still haven't found a good solution that doesn't strain the hands.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hannibal posted:

Ah, this was it. I had it on integer (for some reason? emulators?). Every other setting fills the screen just fine.

integer means it scales each pixel by 1x, 2x, 3x etc. so everything is always pixel perfect. sometimes you get annoying situations like this where the 1x resolution is very tiny but the 2x resolution is too big to fit so it has to go with 1x

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008980/XENOTILT_HOSTILE_PINBALL_ACTION/ this just appeared and now i realize i need something like the flip grip for the steam deck

someone please tell me there is something like the flip grip for the steam deck. i have so many pinball games and now i want to play all of them on the deck

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wtf, why is my "other" section in storage on my SSD 59GB?! :psyduck:

To be clear, I have maybe 20 roms installed, all NES/SNES. I've uninstalled (and emptied the trash of) Timesplitters 2, 3, Burnout 3, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I had previously had downloaded. All told, THAT was less than 15gb.

The 59GB was after that stuff was removed. What could possibly be taking up that space? The only thing I could think of would be custom artwork for titles, thanks to a plugin.

Maybe startup movies? I'll delete a bunch of those tonight but I really only have maybe 6-7 of them.
i know proton versions take up 1GB+ each and there's also stuff like shader caches, but yea i ran into a similar thing where the 'other' part is taking up a huge chunk of my internal storage. not sure how to clean 'em up or if it's possible

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i just played some HOSTILE PINBALL ACTION on my steam deck and it works great in case anyone is curious (probably not i just wanted to hoot and holler)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008980/XENOTILT_HOSTILE_PINBALL_ACTION/

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wizard2 posted:

oh poo poo, this is by the Demon's Tilt people, isnt it? 👀

it absolutely is

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wizard2 posted:

oh poo poo, this is by the Demon's Tilt people, isnt it? 👀

update: i just played an extended session and my entire face melted off

xenotilt makes demon's tilt look amateurish

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
trying to migrate emudeck to my new (empty) sdcard and it's giving me the cryptic message

quote:

You need to have at least 7.0G on Valid.
You only have

anyone got any clue because i sure don't

e: it just started working out of nowhere i don't know why :iiam:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 25, 2023

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
finally decided to try out sunshine+moonlight since people told me it's the exact same thing as nvidia gamestream but it looks awful

like it really looks like i'm trying to stream a 240p youtube video from 15 years ago. i never had this problem with gamestream (but i did with other streaming options) which is why i was using gamestream in the first place. anyone got a clue, or a clue of where to go find help?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Probably something to do with the bit rate you are streaming at

i'm just using out of the box settings, but even looking at the various options they are painfully unhelpful

why can't there be a "just make this work like gamestream did" button

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i care nothing about remote streaming thankfully, i just want to play my dang ol video games in my dang ol bed :corsair:

e: but like, this is what it looks like even when i set it to P7

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 22, 2024

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

Are you outputting to a bigger screen? Have a look in Steam's properties for the Moonlight app, the resolution might be set to default which will cap the output to 1280x800 regardless of the other settings. Change to it to native and it'll properly show the stream output.

it's the other way around - i'm outputting from my pc (at 1920x1080) to my steam deck (1280x800)

AfricanBootyShine posted:

It looks like your connection isn't very good. If your PC is connected to your home network via ethernet then something's off about your wifi.

will it change the bitrate on the fly like that in spite of all the settings? so far none of the settings i've tried have done anything, including trying to force it to use nvenc

i'm on the same internet as i was previously (in the same apartment building) but i'm in a new apartment and haven't gotten around to getting a long enough ethernet cable for my pc yet. the building was made without wired internet and we got fiber years later but it's in the hallway so the only cable solution is to just drag like a 20 foot cable across the floor :shepface:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 22, 2024

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TwoDice posted:

Bitrate is controlled by the client - what did you set it to?

bless you!!! :toot:

i didn't even realize that moonlight had any settings - by default it was like 720p and 0.5mbps or something. set it to native and cranked it up to full just for testing and it looks gorgeous now and stutters badly but that might possibly be because i set it to 150mbps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
whenever i switch to desktop mode it's a crap shoot and more often than not i'll be stuck with a black screen and have to forcefully reboot the system

i saw something about reimaging the system or something helping with this but that sounds scary and i have no idea what sort of stuff that would involve

anyone got any info on this, potential other fixes, how to do to etc.? it's such a bummer to have desktop mode be mostly unusable due to this