Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I am considering buying a Steam Deck, but I want to use it as both a retro-game emulation device as well as a Steam Game device.

Do I need to mess with dual-boot shenanigans or "jailbreaking" or whatever to do so, or can the Deck natively run 3rd party programs such as emulators?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Does the SD ship in a box that discloses what's inside?

I live in an... inexpensive... apartment complex, so if it's clear that it's Expensive Electronics I'll probably ship it to my mom's house.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I pulled the trigger on the 512GB deck thanks to a holiday bonus from work.

I'm excited! I hope it gets here soon :3:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Anyone have any experience with Elite: Dangerous on the Deck?

I've only played it on PC with a HOTAS, but I'm curious how it controls and runs on the Deck.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is there a "do this first" list for new Deck owners?

Like, essential setup stuff?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

HopperUK posted:

Elden Ring is just under 50GB on my PC, though when it was on my deck (64GB peasant with a 128GB SD card I had sitting around) I was always having to clear space so it could download updates and apply them. Still that's shocking.

Elden Ring is definitely 49.89GB on my PC right now.

I have trouble understanding how a Steam Deck version could triple in size.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How big an improvement is the GuliKit Stick Replacement?

I don't mind opening up electronics, but I don't have a soldering iron, so replacing the sticks would be a "Project" I'd only attempt if it is truly a significant improvement.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
If I wanted to play Skyrim with mods on my Deck, is my best bet Workshop mods, or is there a relatively simple way to install Nexus mods on the Deck?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
My shipping info was saying delivery today, until this morning when it changed to delivery tomorrow :saddowns:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

tater_salad posted:

welcome to logistics during december.

Oh I know - I worked a season with UPS as a driver assistant/"jumper".

I'm wondering if it'll just hit the local hub today and I can just pick it up after work.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Randalor posted:

I finally gave in to temptation and ordered a Steam Deck today. Does anyone happen to know what the actual shipping times are like currently, considering I decided to do this right in the middle of Christmas shipping season?

I ordered it on December 1st at 5am, and it's on the truck for delivery today.

512gb model, and I live in Virginia.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Its here!

Also, y'all weren't kidding about the vent - it smells like a new car lmao

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How do I find Flathub? I searched in the Discover store and didn't see it.

Also, no virtual keyboard comes up in Desktop mode when I tap in a text box :saddowns:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I installed EmuDeck, but when I try to run EmulationStation in game mode, it sits on the spinning Steam logo for a while, like 5+ minutes, and didn't seem to be doing anything.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I followed the instructions in the OP to run the little FTP server on the Deck, and it worked fine. I know SSH is more secure, but I only need this to be used a few times until my USB-C hub arrives.

Question: can I get said FTP server to "show" the SD card? By default it only showed the internal drive.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Cyks posted:

As another brand new steam deck owner over I too am surprised on how easy everything has been to set up so far.

What is the best way to handle games that have multiple discs, mainly PS1? Each disc shows up as a copy of the game on my list and ideally I'd only like to see just one.

You can create a Playlist (.m3u) file containing the file names of each disc's .cue file, and load that.

Allegedly there is a way to then hide the individual disc files from EmulationStation, but hell if I know what it is.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I haven't gotten Heroic Launcher to actually... work.

Like, I installed it, and used it to install Assassin's Creed Valhalla from the Epic Store, but when I launch it in Game Mode, it just sits on the spinning Steam logo and doesn't appear to be doing anything.

It also doesn't close cleanly, it doesn't close when the Steam UI "close game" command is selected.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Barreft posted:

goddamn I love this thing, took forever to set everything up

I cannot stop. (Crisis Core is good so far)
e: I'm addicted to organizing and making it look pretty, big ADD part of my brain

How does WiiU Emulation work on the Deck? Is it easy to set up?

I got WindWaker for GCN working just by dropping the files in the right folders, but I've never done WiiU Emulation. Does it need BIOS or anything?

(Not asking for links to files, just info)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

njsykora posted:

Wii U emulation doesn't require a bios, but some games will require you to have software updates installed before they'll run. Wii U graphics mods are also a big deal on the Deck, for a lot of the big games people have made resolution mods so they'll run at 16:10 to fill the Deck screen. There's some games with weird minor issues (Twilight Princess HD didn't show numbers when I played through it on the Deck) and obviously Breath of the Wild won't run at 60fps (but does have a mod to cap framerate at 40) but most everything else runs perfectly.

Does CEMU on the Deck require a Keys.txt file? I see reference to that, but don't see such a file in the Deck directory.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you're looking to get WiiU emu set up, the Goon Deck Discord is amazing.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Commander Keene posted:

Speaking of dumb launchers, I'm trying to get a modded Skyrim setup running on my Deck and I think the weird frame rate hitches and audio desync might be related to the settings the game set on first launch, like the resolution is set too high or something. The problem is that you can't change graphics settings in game and the process to set up the modding tools makes it so I can't open the launcher - attempting to launch Skyrim from anything other than SKSE in MO2 launches MO2. Is there an ini file somewhere I can launch to at least check these settings?

I got around this by going into desktop mode, clicking on Skyrim and selecting browse local files, then launching the Skyrim launcher from its exe rather than Steam.

This bypassed MO2 and allowed me to adjust settings.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Has anyone gotten Assassin's Creed Valhalla working through Heroic Launcher?

I installed it, but whenever I try to launch the game, nothing happens.

Like it just doesn't act like I clicked anything.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Annath posted:

Has anyone gotten Assassin's Creed Valhalla working through Heroic Launcher?

I installed it, but whenever I try to launch the game, nothing happens.

Like it just doesn't act like I clicked anything.

Quoting this because I still can't get it to work.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I got Elite Dangerous running, but man is it

A. Difficult to read text

B. A massive learning curve wrt controls, coming from a HOTAS

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I actually like 4 better than 5, fwiw.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Pro Tip: look up a spoiler-free guide to getting the True Ending for 4, because its awesome and gently caress re-doing the whole game.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah if you really want there’s a guide out there that’s literally day by day exactly what tasks to do to min-max your way to everything but I’d only do that if you’re only going to play the 60 hour JRPG once.

Yeah, the spoiler free ending guide I used is much less in depth.

It literally just tells you the prerequisites for the True Ending, and what dialog options to pick at a certain point towards the end of the game to make sure you get there.

The daily guide exists, and works well, but is absolutely unnecessary.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Vegetable posted:

I cannot imagine navigating desktop mode without a mouse and keyboard. I almost immediately regretted my purchase when I had to mess around in desktop mode. Remembering the hotkey for the virtual keyboard and getting it to surface was one of the worst user experiences I’ve had in recent times.

I use TeamViewer and control the SD from my Desktop just fine. Added bonus - makes transferring files easy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Did I misunderstand the posts about EmuDeck and save syncing to One Drive?

The setting in EmuDeck says its backup only, not syncing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How easy is it to put a skin on the Deck?

Some of the dBrand skins look cool, but I've heard people say the Deck's geometry makes applying them difficult.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

RC Cola posted:

Cross posting from the steam thread, which game do I play next? What game do I play next Steamworld Heist, Persona 4 Golden, Othercide, or HAAK?

I just finished Steam World 1 and 2 back to back and am leaning Steam World Heist

Persona 4 Golden is awesome. I played it first on the Vita (RIP) and played it again on Steam.

There are a variety of spoiler-free guides to getting the True Ending, so check those out if you decide to play, as doing so unlocks an extra dungeon.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Anyone have any pro tips for applying a skin?

I'm serious tempted by the Gundam Edition skin, but I don't want to waste $30 by loving it up.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

GreenBuckanneer posted:

use a hair dryer
go slow
expect to have to lift up the curved areas you're trying to apply to do them over and over again
using your thumb to smooth out the areas can end up over stretching the curved areas very easily causing more ripples you can't fix and you'll probably have to use an exacto knife to make a cut in the vinyl to fix it (or deal with the ridges). this is less likely to happen the thicker the vinyl (dbrand white skins are quite thin)

What do you use the hair dryer for?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

unruly posted:

Yeah, once I got Heroic in my steam library, it's great that I can play Cuphead and others right from the UI, instead of having to flip to desktop mode and run heroic from there.

I never got Assassin's Creed Valhalla working through Heroic Launcher.

It would download, but launching it would just make the Deck freeze.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s doing you a favour ACV is rear end

I played it on PC and enjoyed it for what it was.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Harminoff posted:

Lol I was just goofing. I also have a switch
And Xbox series x
And quest v1 and v2
And nreal air

I'm just telling myself that so I don't go buy a deck 2 on day 1.

My Steam Stats look like this, so as you can tell I am a horrible gamer and more of a collector.

Where do you get that stat block?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Noice

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, I ordered the POPSkin Gundam Edition Skin, but it turns out the skin is much more intricate/complicated than dBrand skins.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand and have any tips on how best to apply it?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I finally got my Gundam Edition Skin for my Steam Deck, and spent like 90 minutes last night applying it.

It was *far* more complicated than dBrand skins... And I made quite a few errors: there are uneven gaps between the decals, and some creases that wouldn't go away even with judicious application of hair dryer heat.

I was actually pretty down on myself about it when I finished last night, because the guy applying it in the guide video I watched did an absolutely perfect job with no apparent errors.

But, after sleeping on it, it's not terrible at all. You probably wouldn't notice the issues if you weren't looking for them.

Only 2 things I'm still unsure about :

1. How the glossy finish of the decals will feel over longer play sessions.

2. The cutouts for the ABXY buttons aren't lined up perfectly, and as a result there was some sticking on the B button. I did a very small trim job with a (very dull as it turned out) Exacto Knife, and it doesn't appear to be sticking, but it's still worrisome.

The end result:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Saint Freak posted:

Hit your deck with some Tamiya liner to really make it pop now.

What's that?

Rolo posted:

I don’t know Gundam stuff but this pic is activating the “toy” center of my brain hard. When I was a baby I had so much Fisher Price stuff with that color palette.

It's a very distinctive color pallette. I've been a big Gundam since I was a kid. Although I've never done any of the models.