Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Was going to buy a Switch but a Steamdeck is almost the same price right now as a Switch and two first party Nintendo games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
My new Steamdeck should arrive on Monday. I bought a much cheaper aluminum dock off of Amazon. I’m low key excited to see how well this will replace my 12 year old desktop machine.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

If I can play Thief The Dark Project, System Shock 2 and Thief 2 The Metal Age when my new deck arrives I will be very very pleased.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What? WHAT? This whole time I thought the deck had the shittiest scroll implementation ever created and I was just dealing with it.

They need to tell you that somewhere because there is zero chance I ever would have guessed that.

The Steam Controller has the exact same feature.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why are you gonna put windows on it because unless the answer is “I plan to exclusively play fortnite and destiny” it’s probably not worth the effort

Lol, installing Windows and 5 driver packages from Valve isn’t difficult. However, I’m not sure if the controller emulation is 100% yet.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

njsykora posted:

It's still more effort than pressing the button and playing games in a purpose built enviroment.

That’s fair. My deck has been released from customs, so I’m low key excited to be picking it up today and play with SteamOS for the first time.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

i bought a top end one and just picked it up from FedEx an hour ago. I just connected to my wifi and the deck is updating. This thing feels really solid and high quality.

e: i think Fallout New Vegas will be my first game.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

trip report: New Vegas works very well using Proton Beta

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Bioshock remastered at 60 fps runs for 4 hours at 10 watts. That’s crazy.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Why isn’t FSR just enabled on every game by default? This poo poo is magic.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Half-life 2 is almost twenty years old, but goddamn does it run well. I’m getting 5 hours of battery life at 60 frames per second.

I’m curious to see how Black Mesa fares.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Manually optimizing games for the deck is actually a fun little mini game and I’m learning a bit about low powered hardware at the same time.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Annath posted:

I dunno, I've tried various Macs/MacOS versions over the years, and I've never found the UX to be any better than Windows. In fact, given the dominance of Windows in the market, it's it's somewhat worse because there are features/quirks that don't translate between the two.

And nothing about Apple products is "high quality" enough to justify the prices they charge. It's a blatant cash grab to charge as much as they do for the products they offer.

For 90% of casual users, an Apple product is a status symbol, not a "superior" value.

LMAO

iPads are the only tablet device worth the money because they have absolutely superb apps for composing music, 3d sculpting and 2D drawing. Android devices simply don’t have the same software selection.

The Steamdeck is also an amazing product and an incredible value for what it offers.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you’re an artsy fartsy type of any stripe you’re already almost guaranteed to be in the Apple ecosystem because that’s who they’ve been targeting forever so of course you’ll like the iPad

If you just want a rectangle to poke at the internet on there are plenty of perfectly cromulent other tablets, you just have to not buy the cheapest and shittiest thing possible just like in most every other ‘what should I buy?’ scenario.

My tablets exist solely as e-readers for pdfs and comic books and even from a storage perspective alone lol gently caress off with your pricing model and lack of expansion Apple.

I’m an artist and worked in IT for twenty years, so appreciate both sides. For getting poo poo done Linux and Windows dominate, but Apple poo poo just lets me doodle whenever the mood strikes. I also am really enjoying tweaking my Steamdeck so that I can play Mass Effect for 4 hours at 60 fps. The Deck is amazing at low power.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 13, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

alexandriao posted:

I've been a Linux user for ages and I buy Thinkpads and they suit my needs which include creative interests.

My main laptop is an old T430, which I’ve added 16 GB of Ram an SSD and a 94whr battery. If Proton could run ZBrush and my old copy of CS5, I’d consider switching from win 10 to Linux.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Weedle posted:

gee whiz i hope fedex delivers my deck. it kind of seems like they're not going to. there's a lot of construction in my neighborhood so the driver would have to park around the corner and walk as far as 200 feet to my house and yesterday they didn't bother. one of the support people i talked to said that this is a normal part of the driver's job but i've never seen one of these guys walk further than whatever distance they can throw the package onto the porch from. apparently it's impossible to redirect it to a pickup location and i'm worried they'll just keep marking it as undeliverable until they send it back to valve. frustrating to be like "please deliver my package" and the parcel service is like "nah"

How far away is the FedEx depot? I ended up driving out to the airport to pick my Steamdeck up because FedEx was going to drop it off after it cleared customs without requiring a signature. gently caress that.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Weedle posted:

it's not that far, i've been there before to sort out a shipment for work. how did you get them to let you pick it up there? i keep telling the support people i'm more than willing to do that but so far it hasn't been an option

I brought my drivers license, but any photo id should work. They were really good about pulling the package off the truck and handing it off to me. I think they were really cooperative because I always make it a point to always treat customer service respectfully.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Be sure to check out the free Aperture Desk Job. It took me way too long to remember that existed, and it's a nice introduction to the platform.

Aperture Desk Job is a superb demo for the Steamdeck.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

While it’s tempting to try and install Windows 11 on my Deck, I’d be giving up all that sweet, sweet optimization that’s built into SteamOS. Replacing SteamOS with Windows doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Cryoutilities seems to give me a more consistent frame rate.I guess that’s what happens when you use a 16 gigabyte swap file and increase your vram to 4 GB

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

PageMaster posted:

The real steam deck gaming experience is spending 2 hours building custom control profiles and templates for every new game you play.

I actually enjoy tweaking each game to find that sweet spot between performance and battery life. It would be cool if you could earn Steam badges for getting Mass Effect Legendary to run for four hours at 60 frames per second on battery.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

trip report: Fallout 3 runs very well on Proton. How is this far,far more stable than running on Windows? What wizardry is this?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 18, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Vic posted:

Switch's OLED screen's brightness is around 300 nits on max
Average OLED TV is around 800 nits on average,
High end OLED TVs are doing 1600 - 2000 nits

the shifting picture is just kinda smudging the burn out making it more spread out
the "cleaning" routines dim the rest of the pixels to compensate for the more used ones

The burn out is a physical feature of the LEDs being used up. No way around that. Also how noticable the burn in will be is dependent on the color of the subpixel being used up compared to the image being displayed.

Apparently the Deck is about 440 nits

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

JSmithOTI posted:

Am I doing this right?

No, no, no, you need to watch at least 15 videos from people who think that the ROG Ally is the better portable, even though the Deck shits all over it at low voltages and is clearly the better engineered tech.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Holy poo poo, System Shock 2 is quite playable with a few very minor tweaks in the controls.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I also wanted to add that being able to play Fallout New Vegas on a portable device is goddamn amazing.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Beastie posted:

Post em because I'm not happy with mine.

I installed 8-bit Cerberus's layout and then remapped my left controller to Walk Left (Left Arrow Key) and Walk Right (Right Arrow Key). I remapped crouch in the actual game to S and then remapped it to the left controller toggle in the control bindings.

System Shock 2 was released before WASD and mouse became standard controls, so you are going to need to fiddle around a bit. It's worth it though because System Shock 2 is one of the best games ever made.

Bonus tip; You can also play Doom 3:BFG Edition, which includes Doom and Doom 2 by simply changing the control scheme to "Gamepad With Joystick Trackpad", which works very well.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I ripped my physical copy of MGS3. Whoa, the first few minutes of the first cutscene just murder the Deck running PCSX2.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

trip report:after the initial poor performance, of MGS 3 on PCSX2, the game play and cutscenes with Sokolov and then Eva are a butter smooth 60 frames per second.

God of War 2 on PCSX2 is also loving amazing. It looks as good as the HD version for my PS3. e:I also can't quite believe I got a good rip of my fifteen year old copy. holy poo poo.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 24, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

wizard2 posted:

Im sure this is answered multiple times over but Google is a desolate wasteland. Are there any nessecary tricks to running Fallout New Vegas? Do not care at all about mods outside of any recommended purist performance, stability, bugfixes and maybe JSawyer.

New Vegas runs very well right out of the box. The only oddity I noticed was pushing the left stick made Courier Six run, but pushing the stick all the way made him walk, which is backwards. Its a simple fix in the controls settings if you run into that.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Replaying Cyberpunk and realizing it’s pretty good at 40 fps is pretty cool.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Stopped by BestBuy to try out the ROG Ally. It’s very impressive, but extremely uncomfortable to hold. The trigger placement isn’t natural and the case is all angles. If I want a case, that pushes the price well over a thousand dollars up here in Canada.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

how in the hell is Resident Evil Village running this well?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Getting write errors downloading to my sd card, I’ll have to try desktop mode as a first troubleshooting step

e:weird, its just Bethesda titles, like Fallout 4 and Doom Eternal.

e:looks like it's any game above 60 or 70 GB. Must be a bug somewhere.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 2, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Painkiller Black, one of the greatest first person shooters ever made, works very well as long as you set the resolution to 640x480. Its a pretty old game, so I’m getting 60 fps at 5 watts TDP and a GPU clock of 500 MHz.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

huh, posting from my steamdeck is kind of cool.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

A few of my games install and then hit a write error. After I resume and they finish installing, they go through the motions of starting but dump me right back to the start button.

I’ve made sure I have over 60GB of free space on both my internal drive and my sd card. I’ve verified the integrity of the game in question. I’ve even verified the various Proton installations, but a few games refuse to launch. I suspect there’s a file somewhere I need to delete. Has anyone else run into this issue?

E: other than that, Quake 2 RTX is kind of playable with full path tracing enabled, which blows my loving mind considering I bought 2 Voodoo 2 cards to play it at 1024x768 in 1998.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 4, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

why is undertale significantly more fun to play on the deck? what magic is this?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I have just learned that it’s pronounced “Katamari Damashi” thanks to my Steamdeck. I’m running the game at 5 watts TDP, 500 MHz GPU and locking it at 45 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Annath posted:

I don't really understand buying a handheld just to plug it into a dock and attach it to a TV.

Like, I have a Switch, but the only game I play docked is Fire Emblem, and only because the text is tiny.

the deck is also a full functional pc, so I do serious nerd poo poo with it like writing papers and doing my monthly budget with Office 365 Online. Youtube is also fun to watch on a larger screen.