Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hell yeah destiny 2 on the go CHECK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imagine buying this thing to play anything but Doom mods in bed just lmao

This is an elaborate XCOM2 portable platform, if you think about it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

will Destiny 2 work on this thing

It loving better

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stux posted:

dont see how posting facts is a troll

Name one good switch game. I’ll wait.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

v1ld posted:

I'm not a "is it here yet?" or hype person usually, but I am for the Deck. I've caught myself going "I'll wait on the Deck to buy/play that game" many times of late.

A moddable, portable console that runs PC games is apparently just what I need.

I stopped buying games on the switch if they’re also on PC specifically because I’ll have the deck for them, hopefully.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Incredibly hosed up that I may not have this by Elden Ring’s launch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s fine if you only download/play it/delete it after 24 hours

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SEKCobra posted:

I really don't like the fact that my ship date is the same as general availability despite ordering right away.

General availability will be whatever stock they have from cancelled reservations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JuffoWup posted:

Question for future deck owners: What games are you looking forward to the most to play on it? Like, are there specific games you already have planned in your head to couch/bed/travel game on your deck with.

Literally a bunch of games I can already play on the Switch.

But with mods.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaming Nexu’s video has tags at each segement of it so you can look and find the benchmarks (valve limited benchmarks to the 5 pre-loaded games). GN shows all 5.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kwolok posted:

Got to hold a deck today. Twas neat.

What did it taste like

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1496586218020110338?s=10

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PowerBeard posted:

Has anyone received any emails for today yet?

https://twitter.com/ondeck/status/1500887838979616770?s=21

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm still in Q2 :sweatdrop:

Same. At least this makes me a little reassured of when it’s coming so I can finish budgeting for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SkateBIRD. You’re a bird.

That skates.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lockback posted:

This thread has me anxiously checking my Q2 order every once in a while to make sure it's still there.

:same:

Also I’m setting myself up for further disappointment by equating Q2 with “next month for sure”

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Barreft posted:

I just checked Steam, the Deck had updated availability, e: but it just added month details lol

Get that “-June” poo poo out of my face, Steam. I expect my Q2 e-mail April 4, 2022 and will be hella mad if it’s late.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I ordered in minutes but was one of the few that the order didn’t go through so steam had to re-add the deck to my cart and gave me a window to “pre-order” later in the day. This probably dumped me to the back of the line.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s (almost) Q2. Where’s my e-mail, Gabe?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/ondeck/status/1508483245163245572?s=21&t=4UCTo81H1Cdr27j_gAsiRw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Goodpancakes posted:

Where Q2 emails gaben

Many are asking this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That calculator says I wont get an e-mail today so it’s clearly wrong and trash.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/ondeck/status/1512114363120771075?s=21&t=xulxBW592amYwVsI_PNOhw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Good luck, everyone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

I don't understand steps 5 or 6 with that calculator

Step 5. Click on moo it’ll update the database to one from I think 3-26 is their latest
Step 6. click on moo (V2 model) or Abyzma to see your estimate.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

From what I remember, it sucked that I ended up with a 25-minute-in reservation for the 512gb because I was there right at the release time trying to check out over and over and eventually it locked me out with some sort of "we have limited your account" error message and other people were then free to roll in at the 10 minute mark and place their order.

I was there right at the start and got stuck in “processing” for hours until they errored my order and gave me the opportunity to buy again (at the back of the queue)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Calculator was correct. I got my e-mail today :woop:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

more than two handfuls is wasted

I went to check and turns out waterfield is already making steam deck cases that are "the switch ones but slightly bigger", if you're into really spoiling your dick

Oh gently caress yeah warerfield is my jam of stupid expensive purchases

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My deck arrives tomorrow. Is there any comprehensive guide / link for installing windows on it? I want to play Destiny 2 and some modded Minecraft on it in addition to the games that are Deck compatible so a dual boot guide would be nice!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

vaginite posted:

So I paid my 5 bucks like a year ago and forgot about it til just now, do I need to do anything or am I just waiting for an email?

You get an email to finish the order. There’s a calculator that can punch in your order time to see an estimate of when the e-mail could arrive. Once you’ve been selected, you have a week to finalize the order or you lose it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deck is here! Immediately loving with it with updates and setting up dual boot. I got PolyMC figured out but now I gotta manually download some mods for my pack (thanks curseforge - NOT). Navigating gparted in portrait was silly but otherwise everything is working out of the box. The one glitchy thing I noticed was after installing the first updated once it connected to the network the Deck went into a boot loop for like 2 minutes. Just keep verifying, booting, then restarting. After a bit the boot up went through and ever since it's been working great. Tried a game natively (MH Rise) and it worked great. Tried a game streaming (Destiny 2) and the stream settings / resolutions were all hosed and it wouldn't detect inputs. Anyways wont get to actually play with this until tomorrow but I'm liking the beefiness of it. It's absurdly large and I'm using to playing with a Switch + Hori Split Pad Pro.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

v1ld posted:

Sounds nice. Are games in a shared install folder? For e.g, install in a windows partition that you can also mount in Linux?

I’ve seen a video that does exactly this but no I’m running separate detached partitions right now. Valve themselves plan to have a proper dual boot solution so I’ll probably end up wiping and resetting this thing once a better option comes along.

Also loving hell destiny 2 is big. You basically need a 130gb partition just for it and windows and some extra space for whatever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One thing I can't figure out is how to rebind the back buttons while playing on Windows.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

v1ld posted:

Wait, Windows Steam doesn't recognize the Deck as its own thing yet for controller configuration? Huh.

Nope! It recognizes it enough that it works but you can't bind back buttons while on Windows. I'll wait for someone to figure it out, otherwise this thing is fricking great.

There's an app called GloSC that allows you to use the controls on other platforms like Game Pass or Epic Game Store but it's basically emulating a 360 controller so no back buttons either. I don't think there is a way right now to really use them on Windows :rip: Actually, you can use a couple of them since they seem to default to B and Y but you can't change this.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 4, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Famethrowa posted:

has anyone had luck tricking games into recognizing the Steam deck as a Xbox controller? Seems like a less tedious way to map buttons for games but I can't figure out a way to make it happen.

On SteamOS or Windows?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I can’t see myself grabbing the Switch again unless an exclusive I want to play congress out. The Deck is better in every way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anno posted:

My Deck supposedly arrives tomorrow. Is there a good “getting started” type guide or video out there? Or is it not really necessary?

Nah sign in, let it update, and go hog wild. The one tip I’ll throw out is when you’re in a game if you press the steam button then right on the d-pad twice it’ll take you to the controller / button settings where you can then go and change your bindings or even better use community bindings that already set things up the way you probably want.

This even works for non steam games since I can be playing a game in an emulator and somehow there’s community bindings available specifically for them. It owns.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MH Rise (also on that engine) looks and run fantastic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So what’s the recommended hub of choice if I’m looking to buy one (mainly for hdmi output/charging while playing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stux won