Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
My Steam Deck died on the weekend after I'd had it for about 48 hours :( (512GB, Q3)

It wouldn't come back up after I'd left Hitman 3 in suspend mode for a while, and then at first recovery mode started but didn't work - followed by no longer booting the recovery image at all, via USB or SD.

I've just dropped it off back with FedEx, hopefully they'll get a replacement out soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Veotax posted:

Don't hesitate to open a Steam support ticket (or reply to your open one) if you feel it's taking too long. Valve literally forgot about my RMA until I pinged them and it got back on track

This happened to me too. Valve received my Deck back on July 18, and there was nothing until I sent a support message on July 28:

quote:

I'm sorry about the delay. I've initiated your replacement shipment now and you should receive an update via email within 24 hours (excluding weekends).

New one is scheduled to arrive Aug 3

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Got my replacement Steam Deck today. From filing a support request to receiving the new one back in my hands was 23 days total.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Chinook posted:

What are some of the primary issues that people have had to do RMAs? I just got mine yesterday and things seem okay. Pixels… etc. what else has been a common issue?

From what I can tell, the internal storage in mine died

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Say, I just noticed something - the new case I got with my replacement Steam Deck has white zippers, where the original ones were definitely black. Not sure if it signifies a replacement unit or just supplier variation

(Edit: I have a 512GB unit)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Did you get a 512GB model? The case for the top model has the white zippers, colored Steam Deck logo, and white fabric on the inside, where the 64/256 cases are black/white/black

Yeah, 512GB for both my original and this replacement.. They must've sent the wrong case the first time

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is one of my favourite games, and unfortunately on the Steam Deck it has no music.

I've tried it with the different Proton versions, and also recently added and tried Proton GE as well.

What else can I try for compatibility options? What are the best resources to start digging through? I don't want to bug the developer unless there's no other option.. ("hi you might not have a steam deck yet but can you please debug your 10 year old game for me? :D")

SAWA is an XNA 4.0 game, and from what I can tell there are other XNA games in protondb where the music definitely works - but maybe i could force-install a runtime or something?

Any ideas appreciated!

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 6, 2022

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

Try using protontricks to install Media Foundation.

ColdPie posted:

Most likely installing native xaudio2 will fix this. I don't know what the latest hotness is for that, probably protontricks. There is a process in place to get these working without user intervention, but it's not seamless.

Thanks for the suggestions - I used protontricks and tried Media Foundation, XACT, FAudio, and a few others.. Still no go unfortunately, but I'll keep at it

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Family Values posted:

I had to return the JSAUX dock because it broke HDMI-CEC and HDMI-ARC. Hopefully the official dock doesn't have this problem.

That happened to me too btw - we didn't notice right away, but a few days after trying the JSAUX dock we realized that the LG C1 remote suddenly could no longer control the Apple TV.

If anyone else runs into that: the fix was to remove the JSAUX stuff, unplug the TV, sound bar, and Apple TV, plug it all back in, toggle CEC off on the C! and then back on, then configure Universal Control (which turns on IR control instead of CEC), then unconfigure it so that it goes back to CEC, and finally everything was normal again

(I ended up ordering the official dock, I can maybe use the JSAUX one on the upstairs TV)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

There was a surprise update to Super Amazing Wagon Adventure today! It now works (the music was broken before) on Steam Deck

https://twitter.com/sparsevector/status/1581362443661770752

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Are there any good ways to get the various streaming services (Spotify, Netflix, HBO, whatever) on here other than the web browser? That works but it has some limitations, and I'm gonna be on a trip in January where I'd love to leave my other devices behind.

Plex works - you can install the client in desktop mode and then add it to Steam for use in gaming mode

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

CBD Corndog posted:

Speaking of Flatpacks, if you have a bunch of emulators or Discover store stuff installed on the Deck y'all should get the AutoFlatpack plugin for Decky.

It will update Flatpacks in the background without having to boot into desktop mode. Also useful for updating apps when the Discover store stops loading like it did for me for a while.

Say, is there any issue with letting Discover update the bits that EmuDeck installs? I don't really use EmuDeck yet but I've been manually de-selecting emulation packages from the updates and then doing those separately via the EmuDeck update tool

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

priznat posted:

Got my deck today, very cool. Can’t wait to try hacking around with it and popping in a bigger ssd at some point.

Number one on the agenda is xbox cloud playing, then looking into some emulation stuff.

What games are good with those trackpad like things? RTSes?

They're great with RimWorld - I never would've believed such a kb/mouse game could be so comfortable on a handheld console. (If you like sleep though, playing RimWorld in bed is not an effective strategy)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

jokes posted:

For me, the Steam Transfer function was WAY slower than downloading it so I just let AT&T gently caress off. I pay for uncapped internet, I'm gonna use the uncapped internet.

Yeah, I don't know what's up that - even between two PCs wired for ethernet it's incredibly slow compared to not using Local Network Game Transfers

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

With GTA Online, Baldur's Gate 3, and Halo MCC installed (well, Halo is partially installed), I really need to upgrade my SD card to 1TB. Is that the highest the cards go now?

For practical purposes, yes, 1TB is it. There are no 2TB MicroSD cards, though there is a 1.5TB version from one manufacturer:
Exclusive: Micron’s 1.5TB MicroSD card costs more than diamond

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a good RDP client for Deck? I have wake-on-LAN set up and working, but Steam streaming runs the game behind a Windows login and then the Steam client just gets stuck: I can’t click the mouse and holding the two-squares button just pops a fly out that says “hold escape to exit session” but I have to restart Steam to get out of it. Steam-button combos don’t work either

If this is the root problem, like you'd prefer to solve this instead of doing some remote desktop thing, there was a fix recently for the "can't click when the screen is locked" issue.

When your remote play shows the locked Windows screen, press the Steam Deck's ... button, and then tap the keyboard icon. You can then use the Steam keyboard to type in your PIN and unlock the lock screen.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I finally set up Sunshine on my PC and Moonlight on my Deck and I'm shocked at how great it is. I set it to native resolution and everything is perfect.

(Steam Remote Play is decent and all, but I've found it just buggy enough with sound randomly disppearing to be annoying.)

Does anyone know if there's convenient way to remap the Steam Deck rear buttons automatically in Moonlight on a per-game basis? Right now the only game I stream to the deck is Starfield so it doesn't affect me, but my understanding is that if there were a second game I wanted to stream, I'd have to remap Moonlight's controls manually each time.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

If you use the Decky plugin MoonDeck and the supporting MoonDeckBuddy program, it creates a new non-Steam game entry for each distinct title you stream via Sunshine, so you can give them different controller configs.

oh amazing, I'll look those up - thanks!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm not really a graphics guy, I'll play anything that's fun (except MOBAs, gently caress those), but I am very VERY jealous of how my wife gets 60fps in Baldur's Gate 3 on her laptop, whereas I'm down to 30-ish (some stuttering).

Is there a recommended way to push it further? I have Cryoutilities installed and setup, if that helps to know.

I love the game, and overall, I am fine with what I've got, but goddamn does it look so much better at 60fps.

I take solace in the fact that I will be playing BG3 likely for years and years, so eventually, it'll run at 60fps no matter what system I play it on.

Have you considered streaming it from your PC? Steam Remote Play is mostly decent (just buggy), but the quality of Sunshine+Moonlight astonished me. I was actually okay with the lo-fi aesthetic of playing Starfield locally on the Deck, but streaming is so much nicer.

Subjunctive suggested this to me earlier, and it made the whole setup even more seamless:

Subjunctive posted:

If you use the Decky plugin MoonDeck and the supporting MoonDeckBuddy program, it creates a new non-Steam game entry for each distinct title you stream via Sunshine, so you can give them different controller configs.

Obviously none of this is a one-click install sort of deal, but if you regularly touch computers it's fine

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 21, 2023

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

also just imagine how many bullshit support requests have been created in the last 10 minutes because no one edited this message ahead of time "Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

just got it, the limited edition one

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was reading an article about adding a kickstand to the deck and the author was implying that even if they didn't have an external controller, that they would use the deck's built-in controls, while on the table, as it's propped up by the kickstand, just to take the weight off their arms

Does anyone play like that? It seems awkward

I do sometimes - I use this 3D printed clip-on kickstand design: https://www.printables.com/model/167650-steam-deck-clip-on-stand

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'd like to give using the Steam Deck on the TV a go, but I won't do it without a controller that has four rear paddles/buttons in a similar physical configuration as the Steam Deck itself or an Xbox Elite controller.

Having only two rear paddles/buttons, or having four but arranged in a different layout isn't good enough.

Which gamepad can I use instead? (the Elite v2 has compatibility issues that disqualify it)

edit:
also if anyone is playing on their TV using the deck and just a really long cord, that's not the worst thing in the world i guess

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 28, 2023

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you'll need a second steam deck

poo poo, I didn't even think of that - we've got a third one now because of the OLED model, can I literally just pair the old model as a bluetooth controller?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Anyone managed to get Steam ROM Manager to detect Famicom Disk System games? Other systems are detected fine and add properly to Steam, and I'm following the rules in the txt file that emudeck creates, but I can't figure it out. They also emulate fine if I launch them through ESDE, but I'd like them in Steam proper

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I notice that Starfield is not on that list.. Actually, I'm wondering now if they count streamed games as being played "on Steam Deck"? 99% of the Starfield-ing that I did do on the deck was streaming-only. (first via regular steam remote play, then moonlight)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

I played Odyssey this year, after literal decades of avoiding 3D Mario games due to how bad 64 was and I enjoyed it. :shrug:

This was me when I finally sat down and tried Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii. I gave 64 and Sunshine another shot when the Switch collection came out, and I'm convinced I'll never understand their appeal. (That's okay of course, people who enjoy them should continue enjoying them)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Rolo posted:

How is BG3 on the deck?

It runs fine for me, and there are lots of options to mess around with - but - I prefer to just stream it from my PC via Moonlight. Better visuals and no fan noise!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Add tailscale or zerotier to the mix and you can remote in and play from anywhere. I run moonlight at home entirely over WiFi 6 and it’s more than enough (we’re selling the house soon-ish so I don’t want to run ethernet all over)

I was looking at the tailscale / nix guide earlier but I realized that I don't leave the house often enough do this :sweatdrop:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

I will never use emulationstation when steam ROM manager adds them to collections grouped by system anyway, it’s just an extra layer of abstraction nobody needs

Would you mind trying to get a Famicom Disk System game to show up for you? Nothing I did ever worked, and so I switched to emulation station instead - but like you i'd prefer to have everything in the actual Steam menu

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Has anyone heard of game compatibility differences between the Steam Deck and the Steam Deck OLED?

I bought the Steam Deck OLED LE at launch, but I only just opened and set it up this week. When I started playing LogiArt Grimoire, I realized that it has sound on my Steam Deck, but not on my Steam Deck OLED LE. :psyduck:

Other games play sound correctly on my OLED LE, and although it uses the same Proton as the original Steam Deck, I tried a couple different versions just in case, but no change.

The game is still early access, but I don't want to send such an odd bug report if there's something else I'm maybe overlooking on a fresh unit?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Angryhead posted:

Sorry goon, can't help you with your problem but I actually came to post about Logiart Grimoire myself, because it's pretty good (on my LCD Deck)
Though now after ~32 hours played I'm running into 30x30 and even 40x30 boards and those... those are too much, too many numbers to keep track of in a line and strains the eyes. 20x20 is the sweet spot, IMO.
And the fusing mechanic is just unnecessary - but not a huge deal.

I feel that - I find them doable on the Switch OLED (and impossible on the original Switch), but usually when I get to the 30x30 and 30x40 in the Picross S games I go play them on the TV instead, heh

I've sent off a support request to Valve about Logiart Grimoire and the Steam Deck OLED LE for now.. I'll pass it on to Jupiter if Valve says it's not a hardware problem.

Meanwhile, If someone else loves picross and has an OLED or OLED LE model with audio, please let me know!

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 11, 2024

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

EVGA Longoria posted:

Logiart sound works fine on the OLED, at least mine. Steam Deck had some issue where games would get muted in the system volume mixer and you needed to boot to desktop mode to fix it somehow? Dunno the specifics, but doesn't seem to be a general OLED issue.

Oh my god, that was it - what a bizarre issue! For some reason game.exe was muted in desktop mode on a brand new device :psyduck:

Thanks!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Re the new trackpads on the OLED models:

I thought they were fine on the LCD model, and I liked them quite a bit in games like RimWorld, but the new trackpads are so much better for desktop mode and normal mouse stuff. Like it's a breeze to type my user password in desktop mode with the thumb keyboard now, where before it was a bit of a crapshoot whether it would just be quicker to use the d-pad.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Pierson posted:

Oh for sure, I just asked RDR2 specifically because I've played the other ones to death and not really explored the first much. If it can hit 30fps even if it sucks battery life out that sounds like it could be fun!

Just don't forget that streaming (especially using Moonlight+MoonDeck) is a great option for big games, too. Sure you could tweak your settings to get by on ~25 fps and a loud fan, or you could stream it from your local PC (or remote using Tailscale) at full performance with a nice, quiet fan.

I hate to keep mentioning it but after using it for Starfield and Baldur's Gate 3, I'm really sold on local streaming as the most practical way to play big games on the Deck

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That assumed people have a gaming PC, like some sort of big nerd

I.. that's true. It's come up in conversation before, but I keep forgetting that owning even a non-gaming desktop PC is kind of weird and unusual now.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I haven't really looked into Moonlight/MoonDeck. Does it just stream whatever's on your PC (including stuff outside of Steam) onto the SteamDeck?

Like, could I make it stream my PC Game Pass games to the SteamDeck?

That's right, you can add any non-Steam games to Steam and stream them, though Game Pass also does it remote from MS servers via Edge, using these official instructions from Microsoft. (To play Game Pass games streamed locally, there are sometimes some extra hoops to make an .exe file available to Steam from the protected game folders on your hard drive)

The full combo is:

- Sunshine on your PC https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine as the host
- Moonlight on your Steam Deck from the Discover app store in desktop mode
- Decky Loader on your Steam Deck, with the MoonDeck plug-in from its extension store

(Without MoonDeck, you launch Moonlight as a separate app and then choose a game. With MoonDeck, you launch each game directly from the library using a moon icon instead of the play button - the primary effect being that each game can have custom mapping for controls)

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 15, 2024

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

That's not streaming from my PC though. It's setting up Cloud Game Pass to stream through Edge on the SteamDeck, right? Does it even require Moonlight? (Or is that built into the community package for this?)

I don't have Game Pass Ultimate, though I guess I could upgrade if that's the best way to get Game Pass games running on the SteamDeck.

That's right - so when it comes to Game Pass games, you can either choose to add them as non-Steam games to Steam and then stream via Moonlight, or, you can choose to use the official instructions to do Microsoft streaming of Game Pass games. The local streaming option is better in all respects, but I just wanted to make sure to mention that it's not the only option for Game Pass.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Vegastar posted:

If somebody already owns the game outside Steam it’s absolutely idiotic to tell them to spend another 40-70 dollars for the same mediocre game a second time to avoid 5 minutes of tinkering to set up the bnet launcher one time. I wish people would stop posting this bonehead take.

I agree with you on all counts, but I still just rebought it on sale to save the five minutes. (And so far have never played it again.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Vegastar posted:

Look, what you do in the privacy of your own wallet is none of my business, but I definitely can't recommend even buying the game once in its current state. God season 3 is terrible.

I had a decent enough time playing it once, like I got some of my money's worth at least.. Somehow seasons were an interesting way to prolong the relevance of Diablo 3, but utterly destructive to my interest in Diablo 4