Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

gay_crimes posted:

lol if you own a big dog and don’t operate a farm or ranch or something.

“m-muh big dog requires the earth to be pocked with enormous expanses of concrete :qq:

destroy all car culture

the best part of living in a really dog friendly city is how every plant smaller than six feet high or so has been scoured from my street by a flood of dog piss. people on next door are all "why are all the plants here dying??? why wont those guys in the little groundskeeper truck do anything?!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol that the guy steering doesn't have pedals

human dog sled

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

I got an e bike it’s fun as hell and powered almost entirely by fish mulching bird splattering green energy. kicking on the maximum assist mode doing wheelies uphill motor going vreeeee like a jetsons car heck yeah

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

good truck design is when you need a step ladder to load it from the side

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

command and conquer-lookin-rear end vehicles on the road these days

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

fuckin…… CAAARS

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

I imagine this sounds like skeletor laughing when you rev the engine nyeh heheheee

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

electric scooters provide vital reef habitat for threatened shallow water species

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

:thunk:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

cliffords are a difficult breed that requires a lot of space and energy but I love them all so so much and that’s why I need an mrap as my daily driver

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

it’s a velocipede

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

I mounted retractable blades to the wheel hubs on my bike so that whenever I come across a good sized knot of pedestrians I can swerve onto the sidewalk and buzzsaw through their shins in one big combo

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

I’m walking to work right now. it’s about a mile and a half but it’s a beautiful day. I will jaywalk with impunity and maybe even try some anti-car slurs out along the way. got any good ones??

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Man Musk posted:

ebikes are rad as heck

:hai:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

i spread caltrops everywhere i go like uh johnny caltropseed

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

not a bad idea, can we affix this contraption to one of those phalanx systems they have on aircraft carriers to shoot down missiles though?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

mm yes consider for a moment a perfectly spherical car traveling on a frictionless plane in a vacuum

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Xaris posted:

lol

i would also say americans are not just dumb as poo poo, but they absolutely love it. big = safer.

some dude did a market analysis and it basically broke down to not only big = safer but suburban-americans select vehicles based on how well they look like they’d handle being driven into a crowd of protestors (actually specifically that) which is why everything looks like a pillbox with weenie widdle gunslits for windows

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

That's actually just a tiny segment outside of downtown to make things nicer for the single family rich people neighborhoods outside of downtown (north cap hill and montlake), not the huge scar through the middle of downtown itself.

lol you just reminded me of when howard schultz got bullied out of montlake for trying to eminent domain a city park into being his personal driveway.

anyways they should just extend the existing freeway park to cover the entire interstate through the seattle area and turn it into a massive combination brutalist nature conservatory / safe injection zone

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

people here who use trucks for work just chop the tiny useless beds off and replace them with something that doesn’t require a stepladder to load, or they get something imported. lots of roofers and yard workers driving cute little Japanese pickups these days. shame they gotta go.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

my ebike is powered by green fish and bird mulching energy

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

those plowshares use materials and manufacturing that’s as detrimental as swords u know

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Ebikes should have little antennae that hook up to power lines like trams do

my town has extensive overhead lines for electric bus service this idea sounds excellent to me

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

lil poopendorfer posted:

Maybe this is not the case for all e-bikes but for many, you can’t change a flat yourself which is just :wtc:

Also you have to take them to licensed bike shops or whatever .. not all bike shops will service them so you have to have a e-bike shop nearby or drive to get your flat fixed. Oh and I’m sure it costs extra, on top of the tube/tire. A big chunk of the joy of bike ownership is the ease of DIY maintenance, for me

These are fixable problems but atm significant enough to deter me from getting one

every brand I’ve seen uses normal tires and tubes including the one I own :shrug:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

it’s ok when the sun goes supernova all the carbon will be turned back into hydrogen.

also trillions of tons of rare elements including lithium, which means we will never want for ebike batteries in the distant future

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

sat on my keys! posted:

seems like a simple solution to make everyone happy would be to mandate you can only drive trucks like that where they're "necessary" (ie Tahoe) and as soon as you try to enter city limits it gets impounded

I drove a rented Kia Soul all around Tahoe anybody who says they need a big truck because nature is too scary is a liar and also a coward

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Nitevision posted:

Small business owners in my city fight against reclaiming any street space from cars or parking because they believe the bulk of their business is from the 3 suburbanites parking directly in front of their shop rather than the 5,000 people walking over from their apartments in the same neighborhood, who would definitely spend more time there if it weren't loud as gently caress and dangerous. The American mindset is not salvageable

they narrowed the street in front of my job because people kept almost pasting small children making unchecked turns but the apartment complex across from us refused to sign off on the plan because it would reduce parking by one (1) space so now the kids have to deal with both unchecked turns from the other direction AND people trying to pass the school busses in the unnarrowed oncoming lane lmao

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

it is very funny how frequently i see big pickup trucks with a few 2x4s or bits of plywood hanging out the end of the bed like some sort of mea culpa for owning such a pointless thing. everybody knows you got the new tacoma because it looks kind of like the warthog from halo, you dont need to sully what little dignity you had left by leaving ten bucks worth of home depot lumber rattling around in the back all week

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

most american modernist furniture is uncomfortable as gently caress and is far too expensive for something designed to be mass produced (bent plywood and steel tubing), and the equally popular scandinavian modernist furniture is even worse (tho generally priced more appropriately given the material costs). what you want to do is buy your chairs from a black clad religious devotee who lives in the middle of corn country instead. all of the austere grace plus it’s built for multigenerational households

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

cool av posted:

You know what? I don't hate furniture. I feel my heart melting.

Then I think about cars.

:)

cars >:[

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

they put some chargers in the perpetually empty bank of america parking lot down the hill from me and they lasted all of one day before their fancy touch screen interfaces were smashed in rendering them useless. afaik theyre still there months later. took months to install them a the major portion of which blocked off the adjacent sidewalk

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

just walk in front of them really slowly and enjoy the knowledge you’re making some douche from yelm have a coronary simply by existing

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

that street is also connected to one of america’s only pedestrian scramble crossings and let me tell you nobody knows how to navigate that thing at all

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Mr. Sharps has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Nov 4, 2021

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

I HATE CARS. IF THE WORD "HATE" WERE INSCRIBED ONE THOUSAND TIME TIMES ON EACH MILE MARKER ON ALL FORTY-EIGHT THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED AND FORTY MILES ON THE UNITED STATES INTERSTATE HIGHWAY SYSTEM, IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE MILLIONTH OF THE AMOUNT OF HATE I FEEL FOR CARS AT THIS MOMENT. HATE. HATE.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

if those minority neighborhoods didn’t want a freeway interchange built through them they should have attended the community commentary meetings at city hall (30 miles from said community Monday and Wednesday (only) 3pm to 4pm attendance limited to ten individuals speaking time limited to one minute per individual)

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Smythe posted:

well folks u may remembver me talking about my bootleg diy ebike that would go 30 mph strapped on to a 30 year old walmart bike project. that was pretty cool. it finally arrived from china and i got to assembling it. i got to the brakes and the old brake lines were incompatible with the modern brakes from the ebike kit so the motor cutoff worked, seems important. well i had to order that poo poo and it was getting dark and cold so i chained it up where it has been for the last uh year or something unmolested. u can c where this story is going. long story short someone broke my chain and stoled it. it had the motor front wheel bolted on, and i had stripped the shifters, brake levers, brake lines, chains, and grips. anyways now the that the hub motor is gone i think i have to rebuy the whole kit unless i find the motor that they jacked for sale on fb marketplace or maybe another hub motor that someone else jacked.

pretty annoying. gone in under 48 hours of putting the hub motor on it. lasted over a year in its old form. i didnt clean it or nothin. it was filthy and covered in spiders. i think someone saw me tinkering with it in my courtyard and came back to jack it. so dumb. sooo dumb. maybe renters ins can cover. idk

i drove around hunting for it and saw one billion bike parts in many "encampments" (proto shanty towns due to the collapse of this great empire) around the city. sux. leave these bikes alone ppl. drat.

one of my customers at work had their bike stolen from their third floor balcony while they were at work. thieves rented a cherry picker and yoinked it lmao

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

ebike theft is not as huge of a deal here tho regular bike theft still is and I can only surmise that’s because of the dozens of lovely bike share wrecks still laying all over the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

actionjackson posted:

who is ready for our green new future

830 HP
0-60 in 3.5 loving SECONDS
18 feet long
over 7 feet wide
almost 7 feet high

9000 loving POUNDS

there’s a house near where I work with one of every iteration of the consumer grade humvee all decked out in aloha gear and Hawaii themed vanity plates can’t wait to see this in person