Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I have been summoned!

Detroit (my home) justly suffers! Justly! for the sins our ancestors unleashed on the world. To this day a legion of engineers are hard at work in what should be a swamp, bringing about yet more evil. If there were any justice, it would be the first place to be cleansed by nuclear armageddon. Woe to it, and woe to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I think of em like dinosaurs, big ol brontosauri that everyone scoots around on like Fred Flintstone at work. It's appropriate to the scale of their metabolism, hell they'd be way bigger than dinosaurs. If they actually produced solid waste they'd never have got off the ground, imagine a world where your car shits, what an idea

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

there's also nothing inherently wrong with cars, they do not think or feel, and are not responsible for their design or future. they are just machines. their basic existence is not at odds with a ecologically responsible future, at least, no more than 95%+ of other machines. placing hatred onto cars is completely misguided. it is, as usual, the fault of humans for organizing a society around their mandatory usage that has caused them to proliferate to obscene levels, and a civil design doctrine based on maximum accommodation for them that has created the blight of parking lots, super highways and the dreaded suburb

All transit is evil but cars are the most wicked of all God's creations. Their metabolism is completely disproportionate to their size and they reproduce far too quickly, we won't be safe until they're all dead.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
That implies paved roads, so no. Cars are bad, period. Do not compromise with the agents of death, they will not extend you the same courtesy

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Manslaughtered

Manslaughtered

Manslaughtered

None of you are free of car

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I want to sponsor a contest to animate that comic so I can have a new av. It's been a decade now, I guess I can retire Wolfbike

Idk what even to do to it, I feel like the car could be enhanced in so many ways by googly eyes or demon horns and a forked tongue

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Whatever it takes to avoid talking with other men and running out of conversation material that isn't about *~our feelings~*

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Here in my Truck

I feel safest of all

I can squish all the kids

It's the only way to live

E; vvv I said I'd pay for it to be animated, though I am very fond of WolfBike

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Sep 30, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Too late but I submit myself, as cars have driven me completely insane

In fact, they've even killed me already!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I want to compact all cars into a single cube

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I was biking along in a park outside Orlando, coming back from the trails and going over a little road bridge to the parking lot. I watched the fancy white convertible in front of me (top open!) thwack one of the old ladies walking on the right of the bridge across the back of her elbow with it's passenger mirror. She cried out audibly as her arm shot up in the air and the car punched it and drove away.

I dunno man maybe she had it coming.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

mawarannahr posted:

is there some way to dissuade carhavers from having extended conversations about car law and etiquette everywhere? or maintenance or whatever. cars inject themselves everywhere. not in this thread, like, in other places.

Shove a potato in their exhaust hole

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

lobster shirt posted:

its basically impossible to have a good cycling city in the US because american drivers are insane and the mere sight of a cyclist causes a substantial number of drivers to become homicidal

I watched this morning as a man on a bicycle, clearly going to work somewhere with his toolbag and 5 gallon bucket pannier, turned left onto a four lane avenue, crossed over and proceeded to the next right turn maybe 40 meters further.

In that space of time, the light turned green for traffic on the avenue and the giant black Dodge Ram next to me in the far right lane slammed on the gas as hard as possible, overtook the biker, only moving left enough for the driver's side tires to touch the lane divider line. Biker got sprayed with slush.

THEY loving SLOWED DOWN AFTER THEY WERE DONE. Accelerating normally, I caught up to them after maybe 20-30 seconds and rolled down the passenger window to make sure they saw me giving them the finger. Middle aged white guy, probably same age as the guy on the bike. I wish I had had a paintball gun.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

buddy are you insane? you would get actually shot with real bullets lmao

Paintball is the [redacted] of the projectile class of weapons. Yes, I am insane, thank you

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Gripweed posted:

You know that bit in Alice's Restaurant where he goes to the draft office and says "Sir, I wanna kill. I wanna see blood and guts and feel veins in my teeth. I mean, I wanna kill" And starts jumping up and down yelling Kill! Kill! Kill! and then an officer comes over and pins a medal to his chest and says "you're our boy"?

I wanna do that at the police recruitment office but about ticketing traffic violators.

"I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm sitting here on the bench, I mean I'm sitting here on the drunk tank bench 'cause you want to know if I'm moral enough t' join the police, beat women, kids, dogs and innocents after being a litterbug."

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
It's still so funny to me that despite all the other horrible things about them, tires are the worst part of cars

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

actionjackson posted:

do you mean that due to the noise, pollution..?

The hot-spun microplastics produced by wearing vulcanized rubber on a hard surface are the size and type most associated with the 40% decline in phytoplankton population seen in the past century.

Or: Cars are ending oxygen-breathing life

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Death to cars

Death to me

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

IAMKOREA posted:

I've heard this so many times and would love to hear an explanation of why because fourth power is some crazy poo poo that almost never happens, only other example I can think of is like black box radiation.

Drag/resistance through a fluid medium invoking a fourth power with speed is another, and to my understanding is comparable physics to road damage - a moving vehicle creates a tiny wave in the road, a heavier vehicle produces a larger wave. The damage comes from the solid road resisting the 'liquid' action of the wave. The energy content (and thus damage) of the wave scales with both speed and vehicle mass, but we don't do high road speeds the same way we do high masses.

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 12:01 on Apr 9, 2022

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

can't wait to find out exactly what they're doing to our lungs in a few decades

Having already learned the answer in the biosphere thread, lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

SKULL.GIF posted:

On this topic, the next generation of video cards is expected to require 1kW (or higher!) power supplies. There's going to be some wiring issues in the future :laugh:

Wtf why

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Costs more than my last car too

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Wearing my helmet when I ride so that they can match my dental records after I get run over in a crosswalk

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Wolfy posted:

an electric car is still a car

therefore it is bad

QED, someone get this wolf a doctorate

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*rear-ended at 120 kph*

"if only I had been going faster!"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Car crash is only funny because of carbrain desensitizing us to the humans inside the funny flippy buggy

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah but we're not in the 800s anymore. A highway is being constructed to give access to some of the most remote Bolivian villages. This will give people in some of the most remote parts of Bolivia access to things like a big hospital. Is this a project that should not be undertaken?

Lmao "a highway is being constructed to give access to some of the most remote Bolivian villages"

"Whom this access benefits and the ultimate direction of the flow of ROI on this project will not be discussed, but you are still bad for questioning it."

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Who does benefit from the road being built?

CARS, YOU FOOL!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Bolivia is marked for death in order to maintain the illusion that we can substitute BEV's for ICE cars

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

People in the 3rd world already subsidize everything you do though. :dafuq:

So we should destroy the mechanisms created to force them into such unjust economic arrangements!

Mechanisms like: the auto and oil industries

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

actionjackson posted:

ait-

private automobiles have no place in the urban environment. Rural areas are somewhat different of course. I have no problem with vehicles in these areas, as things are pretty spread out, but it is also true that you can have rural and small towns with a "main street" that limits the need to drive much within that town. Also unlike the city, you actually do have people in rural areas that need vehicles for work purposes. I also have no issue with roads (and even freeways) in remote areas like this, but only for the specific purpose of connecting populated areas, not going through the areas themselves. I mean Europe has freeways as well, they just don't go into major urban areas. Of course a national rail system would reduce the need for their usage even more.

Freeways exist to promote the adoption of private automobiles in the areas they connect and to provide kickbacks to contractors

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
And not one person in the political sphere will suggest regulating cars further

The gun lobby wishes they had the coverage the car lobby does

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Howling into the void once more about the compounding waste of time and talent that is the auto industry, and the brilliant minds I've seen hurl themselves at muh autonomys

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

:drat:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Your bodies are horribly and irrevocably poisoned by modern capitalism and you are screeching that we should accept them as natural and beautiful. No. gently caress you.

(USER WAS PUT ON AN INEFFECTIVE DIET FOR THIS POST)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

mystes posted:

All the time wasted with stuff like this is just completely invisible to most americans to an almost ridiculous extent

For a lot of people spending forever dropping your kid off at school and picking them up is just the normal thing to do, and it continues until the day your kid is eligible for a license in high school, when they will get their own car and then they're wasting their own time so it doesn't matter plus they can be persuaded that it's some sort of sweet reward for being almost an adult rather than another lovely thing they're going to be forced to do for the rest of their life

I got a car early!...

...so I could drive my siblings to school (we lived outside the bus route area)

It helped inoculate me against the carbrains, praise Saint Jeb!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Clark Nova posted:

love my authentic freedom man nomad lifestyle where I can go everywhere that the government builds and maintains extensive infrastructure for me to go

Infrastructure that destroys the capacity of my environment to sustain my nomad lifestyle, forcing me to scavenge gas stations for honey buns

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

silicone thrills posted:

lol this totally is written like someone who lives in one of the outskirts burbs in the sea-tac metro area. Like they live in issaquah or snoqualmie.

my costco rules because IT HAS TREES ALL AROUND IT

At one point when I was boondocking around and sleeping in my car in lots I started a photo album

"the nicest views in America...brought to you by Walmart"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Talking to the guy living in his van with stomach cancer and no family may have been the worst thing I did for my mental health in an era that included weeks of total isolation, but the sunrise over the Rocky Mountains was so worth seeing

You might even say worth dying for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

McCracAttack posted:

Has anyone done the math on how much lithium and such we would have to mine in order to replace conventional cars with electric cars?

Yeah, I don't have the link but I'll save you the effort of watching:

It's not possible.