Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

You are correct. I'm incredibly loving mad and I am always mindblown at how god drat brain damaged car brains are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A 13 year old was crossing at a corner to corner cross walk a few blocks from me a couple years ago and a guy in a pickup just took her the gently caress out. No slow down at all. He wasnt drunk so he wasnt even charged with anything.

If you want to murder someone - just wait till they walk somewhere and run them over. Youll get away scot free.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

why do you need TWO water bottles? pure extravagance

One is probably for pisssssssss

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

America is a loving hellscape.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ardennes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76l55QX-V-Y

I wanted to post to is because it really shows why both transit in LA and the US as a whole is such a mess.

The new K line starts with a subway essentially for several stations, then goes above-ground…fine, and afterward starts going through multiple intersections where it doesn’t even took like the train has full signal priority.

So you build this entire project which cost 2b+, has a decent underground section, then immediately knee cap it by not even allowing uninterrupted transit across its route.

Seattle has a couple of idiotic sections of the light rail that are at grade on road and every month or so some loving moron just takes a right turn or left turn illegally into it and gets absolutely creamed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ham Equity posted:

Cops in Washington are pushing to be able to do more high-speed chases since they were disallowed in most situations a few years ago, and are almost certainly going to get it.

One of the cases that actually made us change the rules originally happened right next to my house. Cops decided to light up to chase someone for something hella minor, like the plate lit up for a bench warrant, started chasing this guy and eventually, right next to my house, dude slams into a guy on a motorcycle who was a completely uninvolved and the motorcyclist died.

Cops chasing people is one of the dumbest things possible and always results in more people getting hurt.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Wizard Master posted:

what are your blokes thoughts on “walkable cities” now?

Still good. dont care.

also how they know they aren't just big dog shits?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It really feels like malicious compliance sometimes

This kind of poo poo is all over my neighborhood and it never fails to make me mad.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I don't get driving a powerful car as a daily driver. I couldn't use all the horsepower in my Corolla, even on the highway. Traffic is everywhere.

Onerous parking minimum throughout the city blowing up the cost of construction with parking square footage greater than the rest of the building. Sidewalk minimum... eh.

In general I dont get the boomer "oh I love driving my car, its freedom, just open road" and im like idk what the gently caress poo poo was like in the stone age but i've never seen an "open road" outside of like 2am-5am driving.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

duomo posted:

it’s only car culture when other people do it, my suburban sprawl is just good planning

lol this totally is written like someone who lives in one of the outskirts burbs in the sea-tac metro area. Like they live in issaquah or snoqualmie.

my costco rules because IT HAS TREES ALL AROUND IT

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Letting consumers do their own shopping was a mistake. That guy who started piggly wiggly made a huge mistake letting people pick out their own food. Paved the way for the nightmare hellscape we live today where there's a million stores and strip malls for everyone to personally browse every shelve filled with 10x of the same poo poo with different brand labels.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I drive to costco like once a month and hate every minute of it but for any non bulk stuff I just walk to safeway or fredmeyer and its just chill. Apparently there's a grocery outlet that's walking distance too that I should try out.

The costco parking lot is a terrifying place of anarchy and everyone is trying to get in/out as fast as they can that im shocked there aren't more deaths in that place.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

cars going good today

buddy of mine drove by that on his way to work and sent me a picture. what a fuckin poo poo show.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Does that mean a hummer effectively always has to take 2 parking spots at that width? Like even in a normal sized car you barely have more than a few inches on each side in most parking spots (at least in seattle - almost every spot is designed for compacts)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
People around Seattle will say poo poo about how Seattle is so dirty and in "have you never been to any other cities at all? I watched a rat run up and steal the end of a hot dog from my friends hand in NYC" and they'll just look confused. That whole literally throwing bags of trash directly onto the side walk kind of floored me.

Cleanest fuckin city I've been to here in America and the fuckin locals got words. Of course the allys smell like piss in the morning. Not like there's any bathrooms for people to use in the whole downtown area after 9pm.

Destroy the automobile. Add more free to use public bathrooms. My plan to fix America.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The elementary school next to my house blocks the bus lane with little folding signs so they can make sure the bus lane is clear and safe for kids and people regularly hit and drive over those signs. I saw someone ram into one and back up to roll over it again once.

Drivers are loving lunatics.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

WaryWarren posted:

I used to live by a high school. They removed the crosswalk that the students used a lot, to cross from the main entrance to their neighborhood on the other side of a four-lane stroad. For some reason, they shifted the crosswalk up the street 500 feet. They half-assedly painted over the old zebra crossing, filled in the old curb cuts and removed the little connector sidewalks from the crosswalk to the sidewalks that run parallel to the stroad. A coworker told me the kids are still using the "old" crosswalk, which leads to motorists yelling and screaming at 15 year olds. Also, parents double park in the little circular drive in front of the school at the end of every day and when that fills up, they park in the right hand, northbound lane. Despite all of this visual stimuli, other motorists still plow along in the left hand lane at 50-60 mph. How no child has been killed yet is a miracle.

Im reading "Confessions of a civil engineer" right now and there's like 2 chapters totally dedicated to garbage cross walk placement.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Least you fucks have a sidewalks at all. North seattle just decided to build almost everything with no side walks. Instead I gotta always make sure to walk facing traffic in case I need to dive into someone's yard to keep from dying.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A friend just asked

"is following half a car behind someone at 40mph tailgating?"

How the gently caress are people that stupid allowed to get a license?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

quote:

“I went to the lady,” witness Francies Gracia told the network. “She told me it wasn’t her fault. It wasn’t her fault because there was a truck in the way when she made that turn, she couldn’t see, and she hit the lady with the baby.”

You know what you do when your view is obstructed? You drive extremely slowly and carefully you dumb loving piece of poo poo

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
cool cool cool.

I let my sister barrow my car for like the last 4 months because honestly i just never drive and I dont care. Someone hit her today - she was in the right lane turning right and someone in the lane to the left of her... just turned right into her and hit the front left panel.

Luckily a cop was there and witnessed it and it was a 100% at fault on the other driver but like god drat what the gently caress is wrong with people.

Anyway now i get the headache of dealing with this persons insurance and repair.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/Amtrak/status/1586030573872726019?s=20&t=8bxz2owBr7NW5j8I0pY30A

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We call that blocking the box where i live and my favorite story of that is:

In seattle blocking the box is a pretty hefty fine. Cops could absolutely make all their quotas off it in a loving day through downtown on it but instead while a bunch of cars were blocking the box, a cop was giving pedestrians tickets for walking on the cross walk between all the cars that were blocking because it was off the walk signal and therefor dangerous despite the fact that it was grid lock and no one was moving.

Shockingly that cop was also found to be insanely racist and later let go, then rehired thanks to the SPOG.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
In America in many places it is literally too expensive for the poor. When i've done jury duty they've literally given me bus passes and such because so many people can't even get downtown for it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

jettisonedstuff posted:

i mean, in this fantasy world where free public transit is politically viable it's a better choice to do UBI or raise the minimum wage or something

King County Metro (seattles bus service) basically made buses completely free during covid because they didnt want people near the drivers (bunch of drivers died early on from covid) and it made zero difference to the bottom line.

Just make it free for good.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

This is the kind of idea that a 2nd grader comes up with when the teacher says "lets use our imaginations and think up a cool invention"

Only a small child would be like "lets make battery powered roller skates"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
gently caress cars and the people who drive them

https://komonews.com/news/local/police-investigating-shooting-renton-washington-state-patrol-rainer-ave-grady-way

quote:

RENTON, Wash. — Washington State Patrol (WSP) is currently investigating a shooting in Renton that injured a child.

The shooting happened near Rainier Avenue South and South Grady Way just after 2:30 p.m. Friday. WSP said a 9-year-old boy was shot in a road rage incident and is suffering life threatening injuries.

“He was struck once in the mouth and once in the upper chest,” said WSP Lt. Chris Noll. “The child has two separate wounds but we're not sure if it's from the same bullet or two separate bullets."

The boy is in critical condition and is being treated at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, WSP said.
Two vehicles were traveling northbound on SR 167 approaching I-405, when they stopped at the intersection of South Grady Way and Rainier Avenue South.

WSP said that's when the driver of the victim's vehicle, a Dodge Durango, got out of their car and approached the suspect's dark blue Ford Mustang. The driver of the Mustang then fired into the victim's vehicle and hit the child.

"The suspect shot into the car on the driver's side and it ricocheted through and hit his son who was in the passenger seat," said Arun Vaidyanathan, who works at Brotherton Cadillac where the father of the child stopped for help after driving away from the shooter. "We got a first aid kit and one of our salespersons who's trained administered first aid until the medics and the police came."

It's still unclear the circumstances leading up to the shooting, although Lt. Noll said it appears the two vehicles may have made contact while still on the highway prior to the shooting.

Late Friday night, State Patrol released a photo of the Ford Mustang involved in the incident. It is a convertible with white writing on the lower part of the front windshield. It may have been driving erratically or been involved in a collision between Kent and Renton just before 2:40 p.m. Investigators are looking for witnesses or anyone who may have photos or video that could assist them in this case.

In addition to the boy who was wounded, Vaidyanathan said there were two other children in the back seat who were not hurt but clearly shaken.

The driver of the suspect vehicle left the scene and troopers are still searching for the person. The Ford Mustang was last seen heading east on SW Grady Way toward Carr Street.

Although the boy is seriously wounded, he is in stable condition. The early medical attention he received from the staff at the car dealership may have prevent a worse situation.

"Renton police said it probably made a huge difference," Vaidyanathan said about his coworker’s quick actions. "She was able to apply pressure to the wound right away.”

KOMO News is working to learn more.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
took me a minute but you can see on the tree where it hit and scraped off the bark. impressed by the tree's survival on that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Greatbacon posted:

lol, coward locked her replies

talk poo poo, git hit (by a life saving bollard)

Quote tweet mocking them because you know they're still reading those notifications and crying.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/_pjrt/status/1591999567641427970?s=20&t=573VTuevqu4TIlJvRhqQLQ

BOLLARDS MOTHER FUCKER.

Also jesus christ that car definitely passed by a cop who did nothing. You'd think that would help that piggy meet their ticket quota.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Scooters are neat and all but man they just get left loving everywhere like trash.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
random car hate I just remembered -

my neighborhood has become a bit of a destination for Halloween. a bunch of houses really go all out and do haunted houses, grave yards, etc and the whole area turns into a big block party. It's fun. I appreciate it and participate. But this also meant a ton of loving assholes driving aggressively to get parking spots all around the blocked off areas for the party and driving incredibly aggressively around in the dark with tons of little kids. A few times while I was out giving candy i really thought I was about to see kids die.

and of course people are like "Well how are they supposed to get there" Well this is a major city and I sit on the crux of like 4 bus lines that go everywhere and honestly, if you dont live walking distance away then gently caress off and trick or treat your own neighborhood. This isnt like a rich special neighborhood. its just a middle class spot that happened to have a bunch of people motivated to do poo poo. we dont have sidewalks even so kids have to walk in the street.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Trees loving rock.

https://komonews.com/news/local/3-p...-medical-center

quote:

3 taken to hospital after SUV hits tree at 60 mph in Woodinville

just look at that king. Will grow its bark back and eventually be prepared to take on another idiot driver.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

quote:

The driver of the Suburban was pinned under the steering wheel with the dog. The sheriff's office said the dog is OK.

The other important part of that story

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lobster shirt posted:

to me, i think its bad when people are severely injured

Yes it would be good if idiots were not allowed to drive cars, I agree.

Actually it would just be better if no cars.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
gently caress YOU SDOT gently caress YOU SO MUCH

https://twitter.com/seattledot/status/1592931338944118784?s=20&t=14bj0uOJWVI2_enoQOx2Tg

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'd be surprised if even 1 in 10 drivers knows that unmarked crosswalks are a thing.

Yeah its a thing here in seattle and i've literally never had a driver honor one. I used to have to cross a 4 lane to get to my bus stop every morning and it was at a 3 way and basically just playing frogger.

There were no lit cross walks for at least a quarter mile in either direction from this bus stop. I once came a hair away from getting run over by a loving car driving in the dark and rain with no lights on at like 5am.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lmao just remembered that like 3 years ago one of my husbands coworkers was complaining because she bought a house in HOA land with some stipulation that kids weren't allowed to play in the front yard and she actually got like a fine from the HOA because her 10 year old daughter was in the front yard playing. No poo poo.

idk what she expected or if she didnt actually read the HOA rules or what.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Nov 18, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CopperHound posted:

This is a relatively minor thing, but each time I see it I get frustrated by catering specifically to cars. This grocery store has two entrances. One entrance is facing downtown just one block off of the very walkable downtown main street with plenty of bike racks adjacent to the door. The other entrance faces the parking lot.

Guess which entrance has been closed for nearly three years now.

I hate this poo poo and the safeway near me does the same thing. They closed the door closer to the sidewalk in March 2020 and have never reopened it.

Also they got rid of hand baskets and tiny carts so everything is purely catered to GIANT cart shopping instead of just carrying a few things at a time.
A) small carts rock bc they are more manuevarable and I can put my bags in the bottom easily B) it helps me judge if i'm at my limit of things I could reasonably walk and carry back home.

So instead now I just awkwardly carry like 10 things in my arms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dxt posted:

Haven't tried it during holiday season yet, but business costco is way less crazy than a regular one.

in my area the business costco is even worse for some reason. it doesn't help that its in a weird spot and the parking lot is shaped weird but jesus loving christ people drive even more nuts.