Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/cta/status/1545848831073558531
in case it gets deleted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i get a ride in a 40 foot long car with a bunch of my neighbors everyday. cars rule

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/BmoreCityDOT/status/1639300534523039744

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
hey do you remember there used to be a youtube channel about a short railway overpass and trucks would wreck themselves on it all the time? that was funny i wish it still existed or there were old videos of it still online (i don't remember what it was called and i want someone else to search and post some good clips)

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/r3nyg3i.mp4

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i have a fractured rib because a car used the bike lane that i was in. i guess cars are better than me.

edit:it's a hairline fracture, i'm actually totally fine i'm just in moderate pain and can't turn to the side very well and have to consciously breathe deeply and stuff because apparently not breathing deeply when you have a rib fracture causes pneumonia

fermun has issued a correction as of 13:47 on Apr 9, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

withak posted:

Amtrak food is mediocre at best

Amtrak food loving rules west of Chicago, it's all microwaved food east of chicago though

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

actionjackson posted:

a unit in our building is for sale, and a potential buyer wanted to know about EV charging. while it's recent building and on the ground level (unlike this article), we are pretty sure that there's no way to install chargers for individual spaces (there are no "common" spaces to use, like in that picture, and the spaces are owned by individual residents, not the association). At the very least, if there is, it's pretty difficult because you need to increase the electrical capacity of the building (however that works). So it's a liability for everyone, not just the person with the vehicle. My parents in a giant senior condo and they can't do it either, and they have maybe 70 cars in their garage. No one has a plan lol

as someone who does electrical permitting that often requires doing the load calcs to install EV chargers, it's probably possible for a few individual parking spots in a multi-unit building without upgrading the service for the building, but obviously the best option, especially for the seniors, is to just petition the city to get a bus route to have a stop outside the building.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

is that a dogwood? i hate dogwoods, they make me sneeze too much. ban dogwoods and cars.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

Possums are street trash, and I love them. They mostly only come out a night, but they're out there protecting you from lime disease in the ticks, and actual limes in the trash.

the oakland A's visiting broadcast booth has been closed since sometime last season because there's a possum living in the ceiling and they're just giving one of the box suites to the visiting team broadcast booth in the meantime.
https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1647312725456871424

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Gunshow Poophole posted:

look at this dogshit!! idk what the gently caress that poo poo on the back rack is maybe a camper setup??

that's a rooftop tent, $3700 4-person tent for car camping on top of your car. because that jeep has a truck bed and no rooftop luggage rack, they also had to install an adaptor that attaches to the bed and eliminates a lot of the utility of having a truck bed. it folds out like this:

some of them you can hook the trailer hitch electric hookup to power a LED light inside, but otherwise it's nothing more than a tent on your roof. people that have these are universally the biggest assholes at a campsite, hope they don't take the site next to yours

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

mystes posted:

I think the point is you can camp somewhere without setting up a tent, like a mini rv

but you've gotta set up a tent. it actually takes a little longer to set up than a typical tent with ground tarp, it just is elevated so it doesnt need a ground tarp but also your sleeping pad and stuff take longer to set up because you gotta crawl up in that thing

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
my wife drives a hyundai elantra hatchback and likes it. we had to get it a couple years ago because she's a high school teacher in the county jail and the city shut down the bus line that went to the jail in March 2020 and never reopened it, so when they returned to in-person teaching there was no other option.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
why does a doula need a truck?
https://twitter.com/cullenthecomic/status/1651319528297746432/photo/1

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
YIMBYs want particular fast food restaurants like Chipotle and want department stores like Targets (with Starbucks inside), but they don't want to see poor people/minorities

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Weka posted:

What do you fellows think about these new driverless taxis roaming the streets?

https://ktla.com/morning-news/waymo-self-driving-car-ride-demo-san-francisco/

Personally I support the butlerian jihad but for unrelated reasons.

there was an article a week or so ago saying that there have been over 12 incidents where these things have interrupted fire trucks or emergency services in SF this past year, most recently there was a report of one that mistook a fire hose for a speed bump and tried to run it over, which could have potentially caused the fire hose to rupture while firefighters were actively fighting a fire.

the cops have resorted to just breaking their windows whenever these things try to do something odd because the only official way to stop them is to call the dispatcher with the license plate number and then the dispatcher can call waymo, who can have a remote driver take over.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/dannyman/status/1661087159082967040

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Weka posted:

My understanding is that personal transportation sized vehicles do a negligible amount of damage compared to much larger vehicles. So it's only arterial roots that will have lower maintenance if we reduce the ubiquity of cars. Although I guess efficiency points for the size of freight trucks might look different if they're self driving and powered by sodium batteries.

And please, before someone says trains, I'm obviously talking about the last leg of the journey.

https://www.insidescience.org/news/how-much-damage-do-heavy-trucks-do-our-roads

I believe they were referring to the fact that the ubiquity of personal transit vehicles causes sprawl to be a more optimal way to add new development, which results in orders of magnitude new road miles added, and even if individual cars cause negligible damage to that new road, the fact that you have so much more road and weathering effects and you have to add new sewer lines, utility lines, etc. under those roads results in ultimately it costing more in maintenance than if you were to develop more densely.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

so the phrase "missing middle" refers to some kind of "middle" between high-end homes and low-end homes?

that doesn't loving fix anything!

it refers to a bunch of medium-density housing that used to be built a lot but stopped being built when Reagan completely hosed the HUD budget in the 80s to like 15% of what it used to be. it was generally stuff that was a public-private partnership and penciled out for developers because of the funding they were getting to build it from HUD

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

lol, those little curbs are exactly tall enough to knock you off your bike and exactly short enough to allow a driver to roll over them effortlessly

there will be plastic posts with reflectors on the rubber curbs once it's complete, but the transit agency couldn't source them so will be putting up temporary flexible plastic posts until they can get the right ones, which are these:
https://www.usreflector.com/k71/

this is going to be a continual problem at the start and end of this center bike lane. the street had a bike lane between the traffic lane and the parking lane already, but they're moving that to a center bike lane for 9 blocks due to the amount of delivery drivers that park in the bike lane to pick up food. but the bike lane continues for like another 5 blocks north and another 5 blocks south of where they are moving it to a center bike lane, so there will be points where cyclists are supposed to transition from a center lane to a right side lane or vice versa. the official sfmta plan at the transition points is that cyclists will stop, get off their bikes, wait for a light change to walk their bikes to the side and then transition to the right side bike lanes. what will really happen is cyclists will have to cross across a lane of traffic when they transition to or from the center bike lane to the right side bike lane

fermun has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Jun 20, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

one extra gently caress you to our heroes in the fire department, and L O L at the planned posts being spaced one hundred loving feet apart. just say it's a turning and parking lane! admit it!

that's supposed to be temporary due to SFMTA not ordering the posts until construction had already begun, posts are supposed to eventually be every 20 feet in most areas and every 10 feet on 2 busier blocks, but the entire construction timeline was supposed to be 8 weeks which should have meant it was done like a week or two ago, so we'll see how long it takes them to actually do that, if they ever do.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

corona familiar posted:

they also used to close certain blocks of Valencia to car traffic entirely. always loved to see what was happening in the street on those days. people would hold impromptu dinner parties and music performances that drew decent crowds. wonder if that'll ever happen now that we're putting a big ribbon of bad ideas straight down the middle of the road

i assume that you're talking about the sunday streets program. they don't do it as often as they used to but they're doing a sunday streets on valencia on july 30th, closing over a mile of the road to car traffic for 5 hours.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://missionlocal.org/2023/07/driverless-cars-unicorns-a-night-with-the-group-coning-cruise-amp-waymo/

quote:

Around 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, four people gathered at Duboce Park on the Wiggle, each on a bicycle and, most notably, several bright orange traffic cones in their front baskets.

This was the fourth night in a week of shenanigans for members of Safe Street Rebel, a San Francisco “anti-car dominance” and pro cycling, walking and transit group, that has reacted to the spread of driverless cars in San Francisco with a simple fix: Putting traffic cones on their front hoods to stop them cold in their tracks.

“They’re here! It’s coming up,” a member suddenly called out near 10 p.m. Several days of practice have given them eagle-eye skill in sensing the approach of driverless cars from 60 feet away, or through the camouflage of a tree’s leaves on a slope.

They waited in place, traffic cones ready, but this driverless car was too far away. Waymo and Cruise vehicles view the ubiquitous cones as sure signs of emergencies: Put a cone on the hood of a car and it stops. The cones used tonight had PG&E written on them and had been “migrated” from the Sunset District.

But within 45 minutes, the group had a victory: They coned both a Waymo and a Cruise, stopping the crs in the middle of Steiner Street.

“Let’s go! Let’s go! Let’s go,” they said, as a mood of enthusiasm grew. Based on their experience, teams from the companies can show up at the scene within a short 10 minutes to rescue the cars, but throughout the night every minute seemed to be its own reward. At times, snapping pictures of the capped cars, they resembled pirates hoarding loot, and they certainly showed the mettle of seasoned raiders.

Safe Street Rebel is hosting its week of action to bring attention to a July 13 vote on Thursday, when the California Public Utilities Commission will decide whether Cruise and Waymo can expand their robotaxi services to all of San Francisco and begin charging fares.

“This isn’t like the Board of Supervisors, it’s a state-wide committee that has a say over whether these can be on our streets,” a participant of the cone action said as he watched for vehicles entering Steiner Street.

Four days after officially announcing their work on Twitter, the group has gone viral. One of the tweets has received some 4.6 million views, and the group has been swamped with requests from some 35 media outlets that its members have to take turns for interviews. (They said “No” to Fox News, twice.)

In the group’s own words, their “enemies are cars, not people in cars.” They try not to interfere with cars carrying passengers. Sometimes, however, their eyes fail them — the windows are too dark. “gently caress you! I’m in here,” said a female passenger inside a Waymo they attempted to cap with a cone.

This incident was a notable failure, and afterwards the squad agreed with each other to say “clear” when they were sure the vehicle was unattended with passengers.

Other rules Safe Street Rebels have created: Avoid bus stops, and cars in the middle of an intersection, to make their efforts “provocative” instead of disruptive.

Over the course of the night, group members were upset to see some eight self-driving cars in 45 minutes on the Wiggle, a flat stretch of zig-zagging streets taking cyclists across the Haight from Market Street to the Panhandle — without the need to climb hills. “It’s supposed to be the city’s premier bike route. Why aren’t they taking any of the other roads?” a participant asked.

One night, the group recalled, they saw five Cruises in a row, seemingly all following the same route, which, they believe, could be disruptive to the city’s traffic if applied on a larger scale.

While public opinion on the group remains polarized, few appeared surprised to see them. “Good job!” a biker cheered as he rode by. A couple snuggled nearby also said they had seen the group on social media.

The group skillfully rode through areas where they knew driverless vehicles were more likely to appear. As they rode through the deserted streets, they sometimes opened their arms to enjoy the wind.

They picked up unused, abandoned traffic cones to use for obstructing the autonomous vehicles. “No department of the city has their own cones anymore. They all, like, steal each other’s cones,” one of them claimed.

“Cones migrate!” another member answered. “It’s a seasonal thing with the Santa Ana winds, they start going north. They’re like umbrellas. No one actually owns an umbrella, they get moved around. But the cones are moved strategically.”

“We make sure not to take cones from things that are actually marking hazards,” they added

At 10:40 p.m., the group ran into their third and final target, a Cruise vehicle at Fell and Baker streets. They put a cone on it, stopping it dead. “It’s wonderful!” said an older pedestrian as he watched. “I want a guy driving, not a robot. Keep up the good work.”

“One of the things that’s really made this go so viral is even if you support these vehicles, it’s really funny. It’s such a ridiculous sight. It’s a tech company and we made it a unicorn…Everyone likes unicorns,” they said, trying to explain the popularity of their stunts.

A Waymo spokesperson was having none of it. “Not only is this understanding of how AVs operate incorrect, but this is vandalism and encourages unsafe and disrespectful behavior on our roadways. We will notify law enforcement of any unwanted or unsafe interference of our vehicles on public roadways.”

A Cruise spokesperson said, “Intentionally obstructing vehicles gets in the way of those efforts and risks creating traffic congestion for local residents.”

The San Francisco Police Department has not yet responded as to whether the act constitutes a crime.

“The SFMTA does not endorse ANY actions that may increase the number of disabled AVs [autonomous vehicles] on San Francisco streets,” the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency said in a tweet. “We continue to express our concerns about disabled AVs on San Francisco streets that interfere with emergency response, with transit service, and with the ability of all travelers to get to their destinations in San Francisco.”

Safe Street Rebel first got attention in 2021 when the city wanted to open the Great Highway to cars. In 2022, they launched the “Just A Minute” project on Valencia Street, when they blocked vehicles parked in the bike lanes with signs reading “So sorry, just a minute,” the kind of note that some drivers leave on their windshields.

The group has also created some two dozen signs showing the routes, hours and a Muni logo to help people find bus stops too inconspicuous to be noticed, though many of these signs were later taken down by the transit agency without prior notice.

“We have a love-hate relationship with the SFMTA,” they said.

Even for a group with a history of creative protest tactics, the cones action is “more edgy” in a legal sense, they acknowledged.

The operation, they said, is like the “original notion of hacking.” Mirroring the demographics of San Francisco, the group has no small number of tech workers. “A lot of the people that work with the code are more skeptical of computers,” one participant said.

“Rather than just blindly cheerleading ‘All of tech is good. Every single new technology is perfect,’” another said. We can “choose what technology we want in our society.”

On the most bountiful night this week, they stopped some 10 vehicles; sometimes they noticed they had stopped the same Cruise vehicle — they all have a unique name — more than once.

At 11 p.m., the group called it quits and left the last unused traffic cone around a dumpster, surrounded by its kind. “We’re bringing more diversity to its population,” one joked.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

I didn't realise robot cars were out and about already, figured they were still in testing. Not that I trust human drivers either but man gently caress that

it's been like 5 or 6 years ago since they first killed someone

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

this is like peter jackson using movie magic to portray pittsburgh as an idyllic hobbit village. very good forced perspective image to make you look small

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
those steps are at 19th and sanchez, my bicycle commute took me past 17th and sanchez every day so in afternoons until my bicycle was stolen a few weeks ago, i'd occasionally divert by a couple blocks, park at the bottom of those steps, walk up to the top, and look at the city for 10 or 15 minutes, guess if my insurance claim works and i am able to afford a new bike to replace my stolen one i'll have a clearer view without all those beautiful trees in the way.

edit: also you'll run into jello biafra if you go to the top of these stairs often enough because he lives a block and a half away and will also go look at the city occasionally

fermun has issued a correction as of 07:25 on Jul 24, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
they're generally not supposed to be able to go over 20mph, legally, but a ton of them can go way over that because no one cares to enforce the law

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Groda posted:

So is there anything even approaching a national definition of an ebike on a US federal level? Or is it all on the state level to decide when a powered bicycle becomes a moped/motorcycle?

almost every state has accepted the california definitions for it.

class 1: can go up to 20mph with electric-assist and faster if you pedal harder, but the electric-assist stops once it hits 20mph and also it has no throttle to just give power when you're not pedaling

class 2: can go up to 20mph with electric-assist and faster if you pedal harder, but the electric-assist stops once it hits 20mph and it has a throttle to give power when you're not pedaling

class 3: can go up to 28mph with electric-assist and faster if you pedal harder, but the electric-assist stops once it hits 28mph and if it has a throttle to give power when you're not pedaling, that throttle must stop providing power once the bike hits 20mph.

a bicycle's class is defined as the class it is when it is shipped, so almost every ebike ships as a class 2 due to the fact that many states make it so a class 3 bike isn't allowed to have a throttle at all, but almost all class 3 ebikes do have a throttle, so they're shipped as a class 2 ebike and then the user can check with their local laws to see if they can change software settings to make it a class 3 with throttle. despite this being a very clear loophole, ebikes cost enough and have few enough actual factories set up to make them that every company seems to have settled only on the one loophole and nothing ever does electric assist above 28mph if it's trying to be an ebike instead of an electric moped/motorcycle

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i saw a f250 extended cab with an uber and lyft sticker in the front windshield driving in san francisco today. i think that technically makes it a working truck

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Megamissen posted:

i think its that regular clothes give drivers the impression of a visitor on the road, while cycling clothes give them the impression of someone asserting that they belong on the road - someone trying to take their space rather than just temporarily using it

there's also been studies that any kind of decoration of a car makes the driver more aggressive and more likely to road rage. calvin peeing on a ford logo, fuzzy dice on the rearview mirror, those cutesy stick figures of your family, one of them jesus fish, doesn't matter what it is, as soon as someone starts decorating their car, they start to see their car as part of their territory and anyone who interferes by making them not be able to drive as fast or who is taking up space on the road they want to use then gets an aggressive territorial response.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Rifle would take too long to unsling. Mount a gun on the handlebars like a technical or like it's WW2, or open carry a pistol on your left side so it's most visible to drivers. Then it's a real threat even if they hit you.

this but on a cargo bike

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
san francisco's terrible new bike lane is open despite not being finished yet and missing a ton of bollards
https://missionlocal.org/2023/08/incomplete-controversial-valencia-bike-lane-opens/

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

in a 8-hour session in which every san francisco agency spoke out against expanding the program, including the police, fire department, and municipal transit agency, on thursday the state cpuc in sacramento approved expanding the self-driving car program in san francisco from 300 cars per robot taxi company to 3000.

also they keep getting confused and stopping on valencia street, the street where the bike lane was moved from the side of the road to the center of the road and which isn't properly bollarded so cars keep driving over the rubber curbs into the bike lane to get around stopped robo taxis. the robo taxi companies are not required to report these incidents
https://twitter.com/Shenanigans_ATL/status/1688400813742493696

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/Gregster56/status/1690255903830990848
cruise is claiming that all these robotaxies got stuck due to partial reliance on cell phone bandwith and that a large outdoor music festival that's going on this weekend cratered bandwith so a dozen cars just couldn't figure out what to do and put on their hazards and stopped. lmao, the loving state just approved these fuckers to increase the number they were running in san francisco by 10-fold earlier that evening over the objections of san francisco authorities. cool poo poo. one of the 4 public utilities commission people that showed up to the vote used to be cruise's chief legal counsel as it turns out.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
that same guy also did every rainforest cafe in the US and canada

the weirdest thing from the margaritaville video is that there was one location about halfway through where some of the waiters wore stilts and some of the booths were really high up and had steps to get up into them or something

fermun has issued a correction as of 02:19 on Sep 7, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

Kinda shocked that thing got stuck, doesn't seem like the terrain is that rough? I would have thought these ostensibly off-road vehicles would be able to drive around on that kind of scree slope otherwise what are they good for?

that's in the middle of the first rescue attempt and they also mention that the scree buried the rear wheels up to the axle and it took 12 hours of digging to clear

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKqp8nAIsYE

It’s O.K. that people abandon thousands of bicycles in the desert because the help will pick them up and ship them overseas to orphans. :shobon:

moop apparently stands for "matter out of place", objects which shouldn't be there and need to be cleaned up which would make the people attending burning man poop

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I"m confused as to why I'm supposed to be sympathetic to you

i think he's saying that he's riding like an rear end in a top hat doing wheelies and stuff so that the school bus knows he's passing on the right

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/132990669/dogwalker-cut-to-the-bone-in-samurai-sword-road-rage-attack

quote:

Warning: This story contains details about injuries sustained in a violent attack, which some readers may find distressing

A man was left with chunks of flesh and bone carved out of him after a brutal road rage incident where a motorist, armed with a samurai sword, attacked him and left him bleeding in a ditch.

The victim, who was out walking his dog, was left bleeding in a ditch in critical condition – but managed to survive the attack in the small rural town of Karaka, south of Auckland.

However, the seriousness of the injuries sustained by the victim – who cannot be named for legal reasons – have left the person with ongoing issues, including problems with their speech.

Court documents obtained by Stuff have confirmed the incident, and, how the shocking attack played out.

The incident happened in January, when a dog-walker was taking a stroll on Batty Rd in Karaka.

At around 3pm, Darryn Clarke was driving his 2022 Tesla Model 3 on the same road.

The court documents don’t state what speed Clarke was doing, but the dog walker was concerned by how fast he was driving – and stood in the middle of the lane, indicating for Clarke to slow down.

Clarke did slow down and drove around the dog-walker.

As Clarke passed, the dog-walker tapped the roof of the white Tesla with his palm.

And at that point, the situation quickly escalated.

“The defendant stopped his car. He grabbed a replica samurai sword, covered by a wooden sheath. Wielding the sword, he got out of car and advanced at the complainant,” the agreed summary of facts state.

“The defendant struck the complainant with a downward diagonal strike, starting at the complaint’s neck and continuing down past his shoulder and hitting his left hand. The sword’s sheath shattered on the initial impact; the blade was immediately exposed”.

The sword cut the man’s ear, neck and cleaved a large chunk of flesh and bone from his left shoulder.

He was knocked to the ground by the force and fell into a nearby ditch, while Clarke got back into his Tesla – with his wife and kids inside – and drove away.

The court documents state the victim was “in intense pain and bleeding heavily”.

They managed to get to their feet and make it to a nearby driveway on Batty Road, where they rang the intercom in a bid to get help.

However, no one on the intercom responded.

He then tried to use his phone to call for help, but “could not operate it as the blood prevented him from unlocking it”.

At about 3.08pm, the victim’s son was driving on Batty Rd.

He noticed his father lying in a ditch and the dog nearby.

“He applied emergency first aid to slow the bleeding and called an ambulance.”

The man was taken to Middlemore hospital in a critical condition.

He’d suffered a “deep laceration to his neck, down to the bone but without hitting the spinal cord”.

His jaw was also broken and his facial muscles and nerves were severed.

“The sword also cleaved a large chunk of flesh and bone from the man’s left shoulder, which required emergency surgery and skin grafts.”

The tendons in his left hand were also severed. He suffers ongoing facial dropping and a speech impediment as result of the injuries to his face.

When spoken to by police, Clarke admitted the offending and described it as “stupid road rage”.

“He stated he stuck the complainant with the sword inside its sheath, and that he only used 50% force.”

Clarke has pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent to injure.

He will be sentenced in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

mystes posted:

I honestly think that 20mph is probably a good limit for ebikes unless people are prepared to treat them like motorcycles and wear motorcycle gear

that's basically what it is out of the box. in most states in the US, ebikes have to be sold as having a maximum assist/throttle of 20mph. you can go faster than 20mph, but you are fully pedaling your heavy bike yourself above 20. they do allow for software to unlock the electric assist to a higher speed, which is supposed to cap at 28mph, but there are at least a couple companies that let you se the top speed for electric assist up to 40