Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
i hate the unimaginative, disconnected and too often self-interested planning decisions that make cars the default and sometimes only realistic option for doing poo poo

i was unwell recently and had to go get tested for covid. Well they shut down all the walk-in testing for symptomatic cases near me, and I didn't have access to a car at the time, so I had to drag myself out of bed, mask up and ride a bike like 7 kilometres to the nearest site all while feeling like absolute poo poo

the official advice if you needed a test but didn't have walk-in sites near you? Ask a clinic. I called the clinic and they didn't know what to do, but suggested getting a lift off someone. During a pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
*restarting street fighter singleplayer mode after the smash the car stage, just so I can smahs more cars*

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Epic High Five posted:

personal trains

You hire a dog to sit on the front of the car and lay out track

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Hubbert posted:

never forget what they took from you

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Blockade posted:

It's hard to have a bike in my city bike theft is so rampant :/

This would probably be fixed by giving everyone a bike

maybe try used bikes that aren't worth much but are still solid for getting around, and use the leftover money on a decent lock and tools. don't buy anything flashy, ideally you want your bike to look kinda lovely. if that doesn't work then you have my condolences... bikes are both fun and very convenient for getting around

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

vyelkin posted:

it's beautiful

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

ArmZ posted:

who's a good boy :3:

Ben-Fur

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

lol

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
my neighbor two doors down got a new car and just idling it is so loud that it makes my house shake. the idiot can't drive it either so I'm subjected to several minutes of swelling engine growls every time he backs out of the driveway. then of course when he pulls onto the road he guns it, subjecting everyone in a 2km radius to the sound of his lovely car.

so that's annoying. but the thing that gets to me most is the constant whooshing noise of tyres on the road. it makes just walking really unpleasant.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Xaris posted:

hell yeah. our neighborhood/street is known as a "destination" street for no apparent reason but we had ours and the one going adjacent to it blocked off and we got like 1000 kids. i whole lotta suvs driving around to here to look for a spot to park or something, idk. just park 5 blocks over where there's plenty of parking and completely dead-streets, and avoid the giant hotspot of kids out trick or treating???

unfortunately i only bought 2 bags of costco candy because i thought it'd be lite this year on kids but no, ran out after like the first 1.5 hrs and still had 1.5 to go.

i made a candy chute with lights and all the kids loved it. would def use it again next year

lol awesome

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

It's not just bikes but people walking too lol.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
why bother with infrastructure? trust the beacon

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

pointsofdata posted:

Meanwhile in Australia they've solved it, they've made motorways sustainable
https://twitter.com/msanto92/status/1461480406197280772?t=0B8F5tmfEYt7_XjFce9vhA&s=19

hey what do you know, it's done. only been like 4 years for a new freeway that won't actually save any time or reduce congestion lol. the biggest benefit to the environment was probably the disruption caused by building the thing deterring people from driving.

i really like what the council(?) has done with some of the streets around brunswick. Not only are they extremely narrow, but there are tonnes of traffic control measures like chicanes and and speedbumps to make it really annoying for cars and to slow them down. there is often a small gap for cyclists to go through so they aren't inconvenienced. Plus there's tonnes of cycling/walking paths, big yellow crossings just for walkers and cyclists, trams, a train line, lots of walkable stuff... only way it would be better is if they got rid of the on-street parking or banned the cars.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Mayor Dave posted:

Cars make sense for rural areas, even for non-farmers. That being said I lived in a tiny town in Idaho once upon a time and I was just fine on a bike.

some rural areas here had rail and funicular systems for moving goods and people around. Most of this stuff got ripped out or left to rot after cars and trucks became the norm. there were also some buses and bikes, although if you lived in town you didn't necessarily need to move much because they actually had, you know, stuff in the town. Lol some of these small town history museums are getting pretty bitter about their communities being hollowed out

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

pointsofdata posted:

if america was a high tech nation, filled with skilled engineers and people with strong project management skills, you too could be doing this

ive been on the ice trains in Europe a fair bit and ii gotta say its pretty awesome. but this one time i bought a train ticket in Poland to go from Gdansk to somewhere else (can't remember) and the lady selling me the ticket said something like "oh this is for one of the slow trains". i knew it wasn't an ice train I was ok with the travel time and thought I could get some photos so I said it was no problem and bought the ticket anyway. the "slow" train still went 220km/h.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Sphyre posted:

obviously the honda driver was insane, but the truck driver chose to escalate and put other people's lives at risk by speeding up and attempting to block the honda as it was going for the dangerous pass. the only reasonable answer is that both drivers should be taken outside and shot in the back of the head

they should be forced to duke it out in the carloseum

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Along similar lines, the 12-unit building I live in has 15 parking spaces for cars and nothing, not even a post, for bikes. A few of us ride bikes daily and would like to turn one parking space into a bike locker, but two insane car-brained old people who live in the building would rather burn this place to the ground than allow that. I'm legitimately considering buying a broke-down van from craigslist or some poo poo and parking it in one of the spots solely to use as bike storage, because keeping one or two bikes inside a useless car is allowed while spending a pittance of money to turn one spot into storage for a dozen bikes won't happen until they die or move out.

You know what must be done. The Order Bicyclatus demands it.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

oh hell yes

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

lol

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Dog Case posted:

Sometimes the beach is a highway

Hahaha wow

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Idk how well this thing actually works but bless the hands that would make something so wacky

th=700

https://betriton.com/story/

See? This is how you get your large dog around town

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

*vin diesel voice* subscribe or die

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
what if bikes, but cars?makes you think

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

lol

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

how many large dogs can you fit in that thing?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

BeeSeeBee posted:

But it is extremely car-brained to think one's basic rear end car deserves a treat like premium gas or something, and it's not uncommon :psyduck:

i treat my car like a lil bitch. spitting into the gas tank, rubbin sand and gravel on the paintwork, slappin the side mirrors. yesterday i just rode my bike round in circles right in front of it. nasty rear end car loves that poo poo

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

☝️

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

awwwwww yeah

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Found a pic of the driver:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Horace posted:

like this guy who hides next to womens cars so that they run over his hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne7N2zd1oYo

not one to kink shame, but this man should be ashamed of his kink

lmfao how did you find this? HOW

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Smythe posted:

getting owned by horses is still very common. I’d differentiate from car trample fetish, different thing entirely

the chariot trample guys get the best of both worlds

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

hailthefish posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lmfao at homer

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

lol holy poo poo

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

So that's where cars come from. I knew all that stuff about "the factory" was bullshit

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I want to hug and kiss every car I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Third World Reagan posted:

I have been staring at this bike for like 3 years still debating if I should get it.

Mainly since I am in a car centric city, it would be unsafe as hell to ride.

https://www.amsterdam-bicycle.com/shop/bicycles/azor-texel-gents-dutch-bike-for-heavy-riders/

That's an absolute ripoff. Cheers :cheerdoge: