Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

lobster shirt posted:

aside from just straight up not paying attention (looking at phones and stuff) it really does seem like a lot of people keep their eyes fixed like directly in front of their cars, never scanning the road or checking mirrors. you gotta maintain situational awareness!

they redid a street near me with the European style zig-zag sidelines as you approach the crosswalk and helped redirect my eyes very quickly to scan the sides of the street as I passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

actionjackson posted:

lol I saw a silverado, but it wasn't just a regular one for pussies, it was a TRAIL BOSS

it literally says trail boss by the taillights

lmao how embarrassing

how did the tires get that muddy without the body getting dirty?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my youngest son reliably throws up if he's in the car for more than 15 minutes. so we just don't drive anywhere really. kind of a nice feature.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my new favorite thing is how people are so Fuckin Mad about all the arterials being lowered to 25mph in the city that they angrily overtake you in the center lane if you try to abide by it.

fuckin morons.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

love to post in a thread I hate to just be a useless dickwad.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mr. Sharps posted:

these and the new landrovers all have this micro machines aesthetic that makes it look like they open up into some sort of miniature theme park for cars. I don’t know if it’s an improvement on the puffy “suffering from a serious skin reaction” look of other vehicles but at least it’s appropriately infantilizing

i like that they're called footjob cruisers

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

in the last week I've had two people commit egregious traffic violations around/near me and when I gave them the finger they immediately lost their poo poo and wanted to fight me. fuckin car brains man.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i was waiting with some parents outside the school for pickup yesterday and listened to two people talk about the new car one of them just bought

him: "I could hear you coming when you revved your engine! it was loud! and I don't mean that as a bad thing!"

her: "oh yeah and there's a button I can press that makes it even louder!"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

When did school dropoff/pickup become such an ubiquitous thing? At least when and where I went to school, it was a wild abnormality.

"I have to drive my kid to school in my assault vehicle because, if they walked or biked, somebody driving their kids to school might run them over!!!" :downs:

the school my kid goes to doesn't offer bus service and it's too far for him to walk.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

That's a shame. Wasn't intended as a slight against you.

I've seen wild dropoff lines at my local public schools with an extensive bus service. idgi

eh, it's also a private school so it's not like we aren't doing it to ourselves but it's what we have to do to keep everyone from accidentally ingesting peanuts and dying so I'm fine with it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i imagine if she had hit someone the punishment would be more severe but generally speaking courts punish people for what they did and not what they might have done hypothetically

personally i'm shocked she didn't eat a bigger fine, i thought you were supposed to get fat loving fines for speeding in construction areas or passing schoolbuses/fire engines and poo poo

they mean if she later hit a kid with her license that should have been permanently taken away.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah most Americans see someone riding a bike on the road and their internal monologue is literally "oh so you think you're better than me???"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

some local car brains:

some crazy rear end in a top hat with a gun posted:

(The) reporting party (RP) reported a shooting that occurred at SW Avalon Way and SW Spokane St. This incident started as a road-rage disturbance at the large intersection of Delridge Way SW and SW Spokane St. The RP was driving eastbound on SW Spokane when the suspect’s vehicle was driving “aggressively” past multiple vehicles. The RP indicated the suspect vehicle nearly struck or may have slightly struck his vehicle after a merge in which the suspect cut him off. This enraged the RP, who merged in behind the suspect’s vehicle and began following him after honking and a mutual exchange of middle fingers (between himself and the suspect). At the intersection of 11th Ave SW and SW Spokane St, the suspect leaned out the driver-side window and fired approximately 4 times at the RP’s car. The suspect then quickly drove away, continuing eastbound on SW Spokane St up and onto the West Seattle Bridge, toward 1st Ave S/ 4th Ave S/ S Columbian Way and the I-5 North/South Interstate on ramps. The suspect’s vehicle was described only as a 4-door newer Lexus Sedan, black in color, with no other distinguishable or unique markings. The RP’s vehicle had what appeared to be new damage, consistent with bullet damage.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it's definitely a weird fuckin thing to happen in Seattle proper and this is the second story I've read about it happening in the last three months.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

this specific incident happened on a lower bridge that is only supposed to be for emergency vehicles during the day and anyone who uses it during those hours gets a ticket with a picture of their car so it shouldn't be hard to find the person but people also just straight up remove their license plates to use the bridge.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm seeing lots of people straight up blowing through red lights (like everyone is stopped and they just hop into the turn lane and keep going straight) and it's freaking me out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

more road rage gun fire in seattle

some moron posted:

For the second time in less than a week, police are investigating a reported case of gunfire on the road. This happened after 7 pm last night. The victim said she was driving northbound on West Marginal Way – somewhere between the 4700 and 6800 blocks – when another driver began swerving and tailgating her. That driver then turned off its headlights, sped up to get closer to the victim’s vehicle, and someone in the car fired what the victim said were eight to nine shots.She drove home and called police. Officers counted “four fresh bullet holes” in her car and noted its rear tire had gone flat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

car brain is a real thing. driving from washington heights to queens is like 10x more stressful and expensive than taking the subway, and probably wouldn't even save time during work hours. there's nothing about driving that makes it more enjoyable. in the subway you just chill out, stand around, listen to music, play a game on your phone, etc. you can literally use the subway as a chance to unwind. once you have terminal car brain, you forget that completely

on the other hand you're at a very low risk for having some dude walk by and literally slam a fistful of human excrement into your face and hair while in your own car. so it's a balancing act.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i like the planters and boulders that are clearly there because folks were just getting up on the sidewalk whenever they pleased.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

nomad2020 posted:

They dug a 5 billion dollar tunnel that bypasses that whole area, the port wanted a redundant route and truckers hate paying tolls.

you also can't transport hazmat through the tunnel so that excludes lots of trucks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i watched Fast9 last night and if cars were more like that irl I'd be down.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

30 to 50 Feral Cars

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

Ugh it meant all the crappy cyclists were out too. Running reds to pass me and then blocking the lane. :mad:

One was so loving erratic, he had no idea he was inches from being splattered by a bus that had to swerve to avoid him.

lmfao

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've never lived in a home with more than one bathroom

if you read Peter Hook (Joy Division / New Order)'s biography, he talks about how they all made fun of Stephen Morris for being "posh" because his dad's house had two bathrooms.

that's impossible unless you're saying that the ONLY toilet in your house is in the basement.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

King county is a big populous county, even a 1/million event will occur w that many people

yeah but, strangely, it's happening more and more lately.

https://westseattleblog.com/2022/12/shooting-investigation-at-bottom-of-highland-park-way-hill/

https://westseattleblog.com/2022/08/followup-murder-charge-filed-in-longtime-west-seattleites-road-rage-shooting-death-near-costco/

https://westseattleblog.com/2021/08/west-seattle-crime-watch-gunfire-at-5-way-investigated-as-road-rage/

this is just searching "road rage" on my local news site and there's three events in the last two years.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

I’m noticing more carjackings too. you know what the best way to avoid carjacking is? that’s right.

oh yeah those too. sometimes you get a theft that turns into a car jacking.

https://westseattleblog.com/2023/01/crime-watch-two-pickup-trucks-stolen-one-at-gunpoint/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

so a few weeks ago some lady took her SUV off road and it made the local news.

https://westseattleblog.com/2023/01/1-injured-in-crash-near-west-end-of-west-seattle-bridge/

but what I just noticed is that she's the first comment on the story and here is what she goes with:

quote:

It was me! I miraculously walked away with only normal seatbelt injuries. I am concerned about that top section of the West Seattle bridge. I don’t know if anyone else has had this experience but it’s awfully slick as you come around that curve. I felt my Yukon truck do a small shimmy and next thing I knew I wasn’t a full hydroplane flying across both lanes into the pole. The electrical box that controls the signals flew up into the bushes a good 10 feet that’s a very large box to move that far. I think Estrom should take a closer look at the pavement irregularities around that slick spot same as is you’re coming up Roxbury heading towards white center. I’m just grateful no one else was in my vehicle, and no one else was injured. Take care West Seattle Peeps.

the way she typo'd "was in" as "wasn't" makes me think she uses voice to text a lot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Here's my new favorite sub-genre of car activity: using cars as weapons to take stuff you want to have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrQPQDcnAss

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

It's not the engine. They changed their exhaust to be louder. It's like sticking a whistle on an exhaust pipe to whistle all the time.

if we're gonna be pedantic, you're talking about something else entirely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXow3d3-b0

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's definitely been a feedback loop of people stopping their kids from walking because our roads are fundamentally unsafe for pedestrians (valid) and fewer pedestrians mean assholes have even less incentive to not show their asses driving anyway which makes the roads even more unsafe blah blah you get the idea.

I walk my kids to school every day and there's a school zone speed camera on the way.

literally every day I see someone zoom through at 40mph and rack up a $350 ticket.

I think a lot of people contest them and get them thrown out so they literally don't give a poo poo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I like it when people have a plug for their trailer hitch that's like a boat propeller or something.

I TOW STUFF OKAY JUST EXACTLY RIGHT NOW

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

bus/train makes me feel good

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

there's a lady who rides her kids to school on a bike and she has a sign on the back that says BIKES ARE BETTER THAN CARS and it's extremely wholesome.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Last night I went for a walk during sunset hours and since it was Friday night, lots of people were out driving, walking, biking, etc.

I walked by this one block where there are three or four bars/restaurants and saw all the folks piling out of their cars to go drink and really thought hard about how dumb that all is.

And then, strangely, this happened last night in front of the bars:

https://westseattleblog.com/2023/02/flipped-car-crash-in-morgan-junction-2/

The cars were still there when I walked by this morning. My guess is it was someone flipping a u-turn to go home after drinking too much and they did a fucky wucky.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

There is definitely something special about Seattle's street layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeFY9u69tkE

lmao the tow truck

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Feb 14, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

WORK CAR HOME is such a perfect summary of the anti-car argument that of course it had to come straight from the carbrain's mouth

do you mean pro-car?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my buddy rented a Tesla in Vegas

"Good god. Rented a Tesla in Vegas for my son's baseball tournament. Cooperstown was easy. Here you need to wait like 20m for a supercharger. It’s insanely inconvenient.

Now that my son has experienced the farting car, I can be done with this."

huh.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

post malone has a lyric that goes "my time is expensive / one mill a setlist / bought a new car before you woke up for breakfast"

and I'm thinking about every time I've been party to a car purchase and how loving long the stupid process takes. even if you show up with all cash you're not getting out of there before the breakfast menu at McDonald's is closed up for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

:cheers: thanks for sharing a video of kids almost getting run over

stop posting dude. just close your eyes and hold your breath or something goddamn