Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just getting more and more positive as the time goes on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
someone should really put the respirator and mask buying guides and links in the OP for real tho since like every time a new person pops in thats the first thing that usually gets asked. Also the covid data spreadsheet link. - this one https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Ss6gA8ULL-2gxh4tWy12gFjTB078ba2KuxeqI9yz70/edit#gid=0

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Tink enjoys the fact that I never leave the house anymore

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Poke posted:

I got the 2nd Pfizer shot at the end of April. Got rapid tested Sunday cuz 2 coworkers tested positive. Yup. I got it too. In the hopeful event that I recover when should I lie and get the drat Moderna booster?

Pray for me

*hums another one bites the dust*

Shoulda worn a respirator

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
gently caress me I think I gave myself food poisoning.

I also literally physically can't puke due to a surgery to tighten up my esophagus so I'm just sitting here wishing I could puke

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Instead of pandemic of the un vaccinated we should start calling it the children's pandemic now. Since they're the unvaccinated.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mod sassinator posted:

the national parks have been pretty darn competent and good throughout the pandemic: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/arti...17T01%3A59%3A29

i was in one over the weekend and the visitor center building was great--everyone masked, lots of signs warning to wear mask. any areas that sold food were closed and all the tables had big signs saying "No eating or drinking indoors". genuinely competent and good precautions being taken!

Park rangers don't get paid nearly enough to die for capital. Friend of mines brother managed the Mt rainier hotels and had to live in her house in the winters because it just didn't pay enough to survive. Purely part time and under paid.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

gradenko_2000 posted:

I learned how to cook because my parents would leave me alone in the house for whole afternoons at a time and I wanted to be able to eat what I liked, when I wanted

My parents only ever made discount poo poo from boxes and tasted bad because both of them had blown out their sense of smell and taste so they'd throw in a poo poo ton of garlic so it was over powering and hurt my guts something fierce

So I learned to cook. Plus baking was insanely relaxing and no one will beat you when they think they'll get some pie

Edit: good news. Not food poisoning. Pepto saves the day. Was worried I had left the rice out too long tho.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 17, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Palladium posted:

How many things did the Contagion movie got wrong

That things would get better when the vaccine got distributed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

pho bac? we’re all gonna die on that cute little red boat

god i miss pho bac.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

lmao i had no idea it was getting that bad here. holy poo poo

You dont know on purpose. The news is barely fuckin talkin about it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lmao

I take it back, the right wing news peeps are talkin bout it.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/rising-covid-cases-in-washington-stirs-concern-about-another-lock-down

quote:

SEATTLE -- Amid rising COVID-19 cases in the state, some residents said Sunday that they suspect another lockdown could be rolled out to help reduce the confirmed case counts and to help free up capacity in Washinton hospitals.

“Probably going to have to close things down," said Adrew Buttz, a Lacey native, who attended a Seattle Mariners game Sunday. "I would imagine."

The weekend baseball game brought a throng of fans to T-Mobile Park to watch the Mariners play the Toronto Blue Jays as the teams closed out a thrre-game series.

Buttz said he is aware of how the cases are trending, and he has heard reports about local hospitals being overrun by COVID-19 patients. He fears that large gatherings like a baseball game could be put on hold once again.

“I think I am concerned of it,” Buttz said. “I think it’s probably going to happen at some point because a lot of the guidelines aren’t being followed and some of the rules and suggestions aren’t being followed.”

More than 160 cases of COVID were linked to a music festival in Grant County that happened in late July. The Seahawks will play their first pre-season home game at Lumen Field Saturday.

But Dr. Richard Besser, former CDC director, told ABC News Sunday that shutdowns similar to what happened last year are not likely to be repeated.

“There has to be a full-on press to get people vaccinated who are not vaccinated,” Besser said. “That’s what’s going to do the most. But it’s not going to be the same type of situation that we saw a year ago.”

Besser said the rising number of vaccinations among those most vulnerable to the virus are providing hope that locdowns can be repeated despite the delta variant.

“There is a vaccine," Besser said. "And we’ve done a very good job at vaccinating people who are at the greatest risk.”

If anything, Besser says it will depend on where outbreaks are happening that determines what measures might be taken.

“I think what we’re going to see is schools closing when cases spread through schools," he said. "We’re going to see more recommendations for use of masks."

But until more people get vaccinated, it will leave people like Buttz hoping that we don't take a step backwards.

“It makes me concerned because we might lose it again soon," he said. "So, I guess we’ll see."

The governor's office said earlier last week that the state is continuing to review multiple options to figure out how to limit the spread of the virus. But officials did not specifically say if limited gatherings would be happening in the near future.

also wildfire smoke is coming back in tomorrow. lol really fuckin rules. love this hell world.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 17, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

kater posted:

I’ve been having peaceful time staying the tuck away from everyone in a nearly empty office but some gently caress just ran by coughing next to me like this huge loving compound there’s maybe five people here he had to loving come find me to cough near me you loving kidding

Always be wearin that respirator. These stupid sick fucks at work will always find you.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
WA DOH dashboard is gonna have to readjust the tableau bounds for hospitalizations. lmao

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mistermojo posted:

negative ICU beds means patients need to share beds and if one of them is too big they have to lie on top

When they're proned it seems like it would be easier to stack them.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No need, we have our own version of cute fuzzy squirrels

Im not "scared" of spiders per say but I feel like it would be very disconcerting to have that biggun walk on me.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ammanas posted:

who cares if abbott tests positive. i want him to get really sick. hopefully die. testing positive is worthless without suffering

I unironically hope every single member of US leadership gets really sick at this point.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
seems fine

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/17/us/mississippi-teenager-dies-covid/index.html

Mississippi eighth grader dies a day after positive coronavirus test

quote:

A 13-year-old Mississippi girl has died just one day after testing positive for coronavirus, according to Smith County School District Superintendent Nick Hillman.

The girl wasn't feeling well last Thursday and her mother kept her home, Hillman said. The teenager tested positive Friday and was taken to a hospital.

According to Hillman, she died early Saturday while being airlifted to a Jackson-area hospital.
"It was just sort of a shocker to everyone," Hillman told CNN. "She was one of the best kids we ever had."
The girl was an eighth grader at Raleigh High School in the town of Raleigh, where she was an honor student and played in the band.

The school district began requiring masks four days after the start of school August 6. Tuesday, the school district reported 104 cases of Covid-19 among student and staff members, and 659 people are quarantining.
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the school system has about 2,600 students.

Gov. Tate Reeves has said he is leaving mask policies to school districts. Reeves recently called the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's updated mask guidance "foolish" and "harmful," saying "it has nothing to do with rational science" and that in his state, "we believe in freedom." Some schools in the state are mandating masks and others are not.

The Mississippi State Department of Health told CNN the 13-year-old is the fifth Covid-19-related pediatric death in the state since the pandemic began.
Cases in Mississippi have risen more than 40% in the past seven days compared to the prior seven-day period, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. The number of Covid-19-related deaths is up more than 75% in the same time frame.

Just 23% of Smith County residents are fully vaccinated, according to the state's Covid-19 dashboard.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/08/17/dayton-woman-says-her-12-year-old-son-died-from-covid-19-complications/

quote:

Dayton, Texas – The mother of a 12-year-old Dayton boy says she is heartbroken after her son died from COVID-19 complications.

“He went downhill so fast, just horrendously fast,” mother Casey Castorina told KPRC 2.

Ryland Daic died Tuesday, Aug. 10 at Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital.

Castorina says Ryland had been visiting his grandfather when she learned he was sick on Aug. 5. The mother said other relatives learned they were COVID positive a few days earlier.

“They sounded congested like when you have a head cold. I talked to him multiple times a day. He was still going out fishing and building his model cars and making Tik Tok videos,” said Castorina.

But, the following Tuesday, Castorina says Ryland started to go downhill.

“He was there, but he wasn’t there. I would ask him questions and I would get a thumbs up or a thumbs down. He couldn’t speak,” she said.

Castorina said she took her son to an emergency room in Crosby.

“The nurse came from the back and said, ‘You need to get him in the car and drive him to the medical center because he needs an emergency room and all we can do is fly him out of state,’” she said.

Castorina said Ryland was eventually airlifted to Children’s Memorial Herman.

“They said his heart wasn’t able to beat,” Castorina told KPRC 2. “It was beyond fast.”

Castorina said Daic died within hours.

She says over the weekend, the hospital confirmed he tested positive for COVID.

“He was born with asthma but hasn’t even had a problem in 10 or 11 years. I mean nothing,” she said.

Ryland’s stepfather said he is going to miss everything about him.

“I don’t want another parent to have to go through this,” said Keith Castorina.

Ryland was supposed to start 6th grade at Wilson Jr. High in Dayton ISD last Thursday.

Dayton ISD Assistant Superintendent of Student Services released the following statement in regards to Daic:

“It is with extreme sadness that our district confirms that a Dayton ISD student passed away last week on August 10, 2021. The district had additional counselors available to Wilson Jr. High campus to assist grieving students. Our sincerest condolences are with the family and friends.”

The Harris County Medical Examiner has not yet determined an official cause of death.

“Hold them tight and take pictures because unfortunately, that’s all we have left,” said Ryland’s mother.

Totally cool that this administration is just sending more kids into the meat grinder.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
EYYYY Jay Inslee grew a loving little bit of a spine while I was out on a hike.

What a pleasant surprise.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Steve Yun posted:

It’s 2021 and I am learning about CIA crimes against humanity on Tiktok:

CIA held fake vaccination drives in Pakistan hoping to find leads to Osama Bin Laden’s DNA

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2277145-cias-hunt-for-osama-bin-laden-fuelled-vaccine-hesitancy-in-pakistan/

When news of it broke, vaccine hesitancy in Pakistan grew 23-39%

lol I still can't believe people are just now learning about this. I remember hearing about it in like 2012 or whatever and just being like "welp we're never loving eliminating another disease"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mdemone posted:

gently caress my arm hurts

my husband bitched for a week that his arm hurt hella bad from pfizer. Nothing else for him.

I on the other hand got extreme light headedness for like a week

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
if you have to work pretty hard to pop the seal, dont worry about it. Its more intended for normal breathing checks.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I love the whole WA DOH website so much since it just waves the OMG WE ARE SO VACCINATED bit at the top and then... dum dum dum

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
realized my sister hasn't called me since June and since she's the only one in my family who ever calls me to notify wtf is going on I realized huh she could be fuckin vented in a hospital with covid and i'd never know it.

weird realization. she's probably just pissed at me tho for refusing to go meet her in yellowstone this summer because MASKS OFF PARTY TIME. im a bad person for being safe a shut in.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Stairmaster posted:

i gave into panic and bought a 3m respirator

one of us
one of us

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
AHHHH lol

*breathless, running, ready to yell, coughing*

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/passenger-dies-of-covid-19-amid-outbreak-on-carnival-cruise-ship.html

Some dumb fucker seriously died on a cruise ship from covid

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
:\ sister works in the medical field and apparently went through full burn out - started drinking heavily a few months ago and ended up in 6 weeks of rehab for drinking a liter a day.

fuckin a man.

our mom died of alcoholism so hearing this kinda hosed me up a bit. Glad she got help.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

High Score!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm sorry that's really tough, alcohol is a monster

I can't imagine how many people are really dealing with this right now. Instead of our parents drinking heavily because of 'nam do we have a whole gen of healthcare workers broke brain AF like mad jackel or murdering their livers?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Quasimodo (and cspam) predicted this you know

really hating this whole being cassandra poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My whole tiktok is just recommending doomer covid videos now.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMR6MpDQK/
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/????6??????

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Chuka Umana posted:

I popped into this thread just this evening and I already want to relapse on xanax after three years sober

Sounds like this is the wrong thread for you then

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Crossing my fingers for the variant that makes people bleed from every orafice

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Business Gorillas posted:

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

THE JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! POST HAS FOUND A PERMANENT HOME IN A NEW THREAD SO I DONT HAVE TO POST IT CONSTANTLY. PLEASE VIEW IT FOR YOUR WFH NEEDS. THANK YOU!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977556

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I loves that libs were bitching that you can't attribute the sudden rise in covid on Martha's vineyard to Obamas birthday bash but you can definitely attribute the sudden rise in covid cases in Sturgis to that event.

Lmao

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

death to america.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So uh a category 4 hurricane is going to ream new orleans this weekend and hospitals in the whole region are already maxed out.

This is it right? like the ultimate fuckin nightmare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Schnorkles posted:

time for brunch

*sitting in waist high storm surge poo poo water*

*sips mimosa*

*holds french toast plate carefully*

A body floats by

OPEN BIDEN