Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
hello, is this the thread for people who are dismayed at
1. The current situation
2. The fact that telling the truth about (1) makes you sound like a crazy person
?

Atrocious Joe posted:

can anyone translate what Monica is saying
https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1474101418025885698?s=20

Is she going to infect her dad
That contact tracing paper gathered its data in early 2021, before even Delta. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Stereotype posted:

yeah welcome to hell. everyone is insane and a million people are going to die this winter. don’t get hurt because the hospitals are going to collapse. when this all inevitably happens everyone is going to pretend there was no possible way to see this coming.
yeah my dad had to go to the hospital last week for a chronic illness-related thing. He sat on a hospital bed for 2 days in a hallway before he could get a room. He’ll be in outpatient care for like another week. Also my mom is immunosuppressed. It rules.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Does Gandhi get money from billionaire libertarians like Oster does?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

McNugget Buddy posted:

She's part of whatever the hell this is:

https://www.covidcollaborative.us/team/monica-gandhi

Scroll to the bottom to see all the foundations/corporations that fund it:

https://www.covidcollaborative.us/about
Sounds about right

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Horseshoe theory posted:

Eh, 1/500 of the population popping hot is old hat - let's try 1/100!
1/100 mild cases

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Destiny’s Mild
Mild Mild West

facetoucher cat posted:

A couple days ago my husband had a biopsy and was under general. When the nurse brought him out she was dick nosing a cloth mask and had a rattling cough
ugh, good luck

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Goobish posted:

Is anyone here also shocked that mass death is totally fine now? I feel kinda weird man maybe I took too much
Now that Biden is president, the brunch crowd thinks everything is fine, even the things (like the singing nurses with a maskless Dr Jill standing nearby) that they would have rightly mocked under Trump. And I think the death toll has been easy to ignore for well-to-do people who don’t follow the covid tracking dashboards or work in healthcare.

Omicron is probably gonna change that real quick.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Multiple positives at my work in the past few days. We had managed only two prior cases for the entire pandemic. I’m sure it’s fine

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

is storing antigens in the refrigerator and thawing them out ok?
BinaxNOW storage temp range is 2-30 °C. A few others look similar.

Refrigeration tends to be fine for this stuff but freezing is a lot less biomolecule-friendly.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
but that WHO doctor tweeting from the plane said that flying is safe. What’s the hold up? I was supposed to be at Applebee’s with my entire family by now

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Stereotype posted:

also they never really told us to put masks back on
Because covid is over

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Coughin’ around the Christmas tree

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wang Commander posted:

I understand the use of the Marek's comparison but it really does seem like so far the major mutations have been cropping up more and more in the utterly insane spread in low vaxx populations.
Yeah most of the major variants, including Alpha and Delta, all arose before the vaccines were broadly available (in the places where they are, in fact, available).

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
If SARS-CoV-2 goes the way of Marek’s disease, there will be no more anti-vaxxers because they will literally be dead.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

shackleford posted:

huh that's a pretty specific numeric range
Nice of Fauci to inform people of this just a few days before Christmas, when tons of gatherings have already happened or are effectively locked in.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean it's terrible advice anyway so who loving cares?

'If you want, you can drive with your eyes shut going 80 miles per hour against traffic." is not meaningfully better advice than 'If you want, you can drive with your eyes shut going 160 miles per hour against traffic."

It's wildly dangerous non-advice that can and will get thousands, if not tens of thousands, of people killed and maimed. That Fauci can say this without having whatever staffers it is that are responsible for issuing it in writing/tweets not immediately refusing and asking him if he's loving lost his goddamn mind is a sign of systemic failure.
Yeah, it can easily lead to bullshit rules lawyering just like the six foot/15 minutes close contact one. “This party is safe because it only has 28 people!” Of course most people will just ignore him anyway, so

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It’s amazing how effective the consent manufacturing has been. In the past week or two, I literally haven’t had a single conversation with family, either on my side or my wife’s, that hasn’t involved them saying “but it’s supposed to be mild” re: Omicron.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

america lusts for death
Mild death

ram dass in hell posted:

lol this post made me think of the "calm as hindu cows" fight club scene before i even glanced at yr av :pwn:
A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a lockdown, we don’t do one.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

HiroProtagonist posted:

you may as well not if it helps. by the time you are symptomatic (if ever) you've already breathed on people a whole lot more before then.

unless you've not spoken to your aunt except through a closed compartment like across a pane of glass, you're already on mr. biden's mild ride.
yeah but maybe Pillowpants can avoid spreading it to others.

Goonspeed, Pillowpants. (And HiroProtagonist, since I know you have it!)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Stereotype posted:

the best part of the Honolulu mayor refusing to do anything at all as transmission spirals wildly out of control is that he said that he will take action when the hospitals are full. once they are full though. it’s a good thing that restrictions have an instant effect and stop people from needing to be hospitalized!! good thing there isn’t any type of time lag there!!!! good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!
well I mean yeah, you would wait until the flooding starts to build a levee right?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

kreeningsons posted:

Anyone know if these rapid tests are as poo poo as the other ones on the market?

https://www.cuehealth.com/products/how-cue-detects-covid-19/
Cue’s test is much closer to PCR than standard rapid tests. It uses nucleic acid amplification, not antigen detection. it is still not perfect though (no test is)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Just went to pick up Chinese food. The place was takeout-only for the longest time but was full of maskless diners and dicknosing servers. good thing covid is over

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
2^n is going to be a hell of a thing over the next month or two. I know how the math works but it still boggles the mind.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
re: ~2% of Manhattan getting infected last week, wasn’t there a point when something like 10% of South Dakota had covid at the same time? or am I misremembering that

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
mild ARDS

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Greg Legg posted:

A weird turn in the culture war are people I would consider 'left' telling us it's just the flu. I need to just accept it but it really confuses me
Blue MAGA at its finest.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Condolences to everyone hit by this so far or dealing with friends/family who caught the mild. :smith:

I just found out that my massively immunodeficient cousin, who drove to FL to visit her son, is planning on flying back out instead of driving. Just after New Year’s.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dog Case posted:

Merry Christmas from my landlord

lol

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Merry Christmas everyone!

Sure gonna be awkward when everyone getting (mild) covid this week shows up to the hospital at the same time.
they’ll just need mild intubation, NBD

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Remember in March 2020 when Dems were mocking Trump for wanting packed churches on Easter?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JBP posted:

No bullshit question is America hard to live in? I went there once and they advertised prescription medications on tv which was quite incredible.

I mean I get it monetarily being bad but otherwise is it constantly stressful?

E: this seems like the place to ask for a brisk and forthright appraisal
we don’t have a functioning government, getting sick often means financial ruin because we also don’t have a functioning healthcare system, and the craziest people you can possibly imagine have the most guns

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cup Runneth Over posted:

A family member said we have the best healthcare system in the world yesterday and I laughed
#1 in customers who use crowdfunding!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Our leaders have poo poo for brains and have totally hosed us over because they just straight-up let this happen, lmao

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mycomancy posted:

Yep, and all we really had to do was stay the gently caress inside from January to March 2021 and this would all be history. That's all! But instead we're gonna generate an entire sector of the economy dedicated to managing eternal COVID.
The Onion’s “no way to prevent this” article, but for covid instead of mass shootings.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

spatula posted:

I have covid lol

I am 3x full moderna’d. It’s extremely mild. I would have assumed it was my regular sinus problems if this wasn’t going around.

Stay safe folks.
Ack, hope the extreme mildness holds up. good luck

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Stereotype posted:

hey now we don’t know that. maybe it’s just way lower now for no reason. you gotta wait for the science before making such a bold claim as “it’s not a different disease”. the only safe thing to say is that it is mild and we all have to live our lives.
I’m waiting on the peer-reviewed science because I don’t want to jump to conclusions and am sure it will still be pertinent when it hits print three major variants from now.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

silicone thrills posted:

imagine if the cdc was like "no dont bother with condoms, they are kind of uncomfortable, just pull out"
It is so loving infuriating. And so difficult for informed people to counter. Like, I’m not an MD, and in any remotely sane world we’d be deferring to the CDC here. So who am I to say that Fauci and the CDC director are full of poo poo? Or back when the WHO was insisting on droplet transmission, that the virus is airborne? That’s the kind of thing conspiracy nuts would say.

spatula posted:

do I need to worry about giving my cat covid? 😟
Yes, cats can get covid. Not sure what to tell you about isolating them. =/

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
People are sad and stressed out because covid is over.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Morbus posted:

People have made spike mutants in a lab that stick to ACE2 receptors with a disassociation constant (Kd) of ~1-10 pM.
Mild dissociation

Not the best news! We'd be crossing our fingers and relying on the rest of the immune system at that point, right? And any (again, fingers crossed) treatments we've managed to develop at that point.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Morbus posted:

we may just end up with a scenario where nothing is stoping the virus, nobody cares, and it's just a tragic yet entirely sustainable disease burden on everyone, indefinitely.

It seems the most likely outcome of SARS-CoV-2 reaching its final form is just that it would give everyone an excuse to completely give up, and care even less than they do now. The perfect virus.
This is also my concern. The virus hit a sweet spot both virologically and psychologically in that it's extremely transmissible, but people who want to can ignore it and most of them will survive it (such as, sadly, Joe Rogan).

I'd like to think that collapsing the healthcare system will make more people pay attention to it. Then again, at least in the US, healthcare is already mega-broken, may never be fixed, and the people most likely to ignore the virus are the people most likely to act as apologists for the current system. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
In this wave, loads of people who did everything they were told to do are going to get sick. Gonna be hard for them to keep caring.

Nevermind that most of the expert advice and guidelines are crap. I still marvel at the whole “mask required…to walk to your table, where you can take it off” thing.