Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
New thread, I'll try to be more active!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Aurora posted:

humankind does have a lot more interesting evolutions of mechanics than your bog standard civ sequel even if there's not as much content compared to civ 6 having a billion expansions currently

How does humankind handle territory? It'd be nice for something that's more organic than Civ or EU; not relying on cities giving a arbitrary "influence" or a bunch of fixed shaped provinces.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Huzzah! posted:

What is anime?

A miserable pile of secrets, but enough talk!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A list of my anime lists listed forever while listless.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing were probably my first entry into Anime or at least recognizing it as a distinct medium from other cartoons like Gargoyles.

I think mainstream acceptance of Anime as an artistic medium took a long time; but any nerd group in high school pretty much everyone watched anime. As for online my experience was mainly at being at one specific forum for a while and when I sought out more places to discuss anime dedicated anime forums had already come to exist.

There's something like three distinct phases of anime's introduction and acceptance in the West; the second one being when it began to heavily overlap with gaming culture with the Halo anime compilation movie being the culmination of and we're at like the end of or past the third age of anime acceptance in which I think its been firmly accepted by critics as a worthwhile medium of expression with anime series not just movies being capable of expressing themes and ideas and people in most avenues for that sort of effortful look into art will take it seriously.

The first age being whenever conventions start being a thing that attract large crowds and anime clubs have spread through high school and college campuses.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I am apparently ranked 249th, but for which thread? I don't understand the stats.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Polsy posted:

Total number of posts across every chat thread from 1 to 25.

Also I adjusted the rankings mechanism a bit so the people are the bottom are now joint 1000th instead of joint 309th, which is why people with one post just dropped 691 places (had to do this to resolve the weirdness of eg everyone below Everything Burrito "moving up a place" when they hadn't actually moved, because 25th is now a joint spot)

Ah! Cool. I like how there's like 1 chat thread I was apparently super prolific in.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Mod!? Aurora is cheating! :mad:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Don't we already have a anime goon discord with a vtuber channel? Its been fairly quiet for several months but maybe this could be a good time for a comeback.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DoubleDonut posted:

I still haven't finished catching up with manga since mangadex went back up

and by "still haven't finished" I mean I have

this many left

Because of this I ultimately went and made a spreadsheet to track what manga I was interested in reading.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
New Super Eye Patch Wolf video on Teppu is pretty sweet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The older I get the more I appreciate Endless Eight as an anime studio really going bonkers insane in its willingness to do the auteur author thing. It's the kind of risk that I don't think we're ever going to see ever again and that's a little sad.

Maybe Trigger or Shaft could do something like it if they absolutely felt they needed to take a big risk to sell the narrative they want to sell.

That said I also didn't mind Endless Eight, it did drive me crazy if this week's episode was going to be the end of that arc or not but the idea seemed like fair play to me and when it did end my relief and headspace I think was really sold on feeling what Kyon was feeling.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like anime/manga youtubers because they help me put my thoughts into words about why I liked a show or some trend; bonus points if their channel is largely mostly positivity with the critical analysis mixed in. Super Eye Patch Wolf's videos are especially good because I can just point people on the fence to his videos to try to get people to watch stuff I happen to like.

Then there's channels who are more about the technical or business process of what goes into anime and manga or the history of it and those also interest me from a broader pov of wanting to understand more about my hobby.

In particular videos about going over the themes, hidden meanings, and symbolism of a work are a broader category of content I really enjoy.

As an example, the anime equivalent of this SolePorpoise video on Bloodborne is basically my favourite kind of content in terms of doing deep dives into the concepts behind a work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A video essay over an hour long is something a youtuber generally has to earn with me. If I liked their other content then I'll settle down for the longer stuff; but I'm rarely clicking a video over half an hour from a channel I've never seen before.

Endorph posted:

legitimately i feel like bulking up peoples knowledge of more 'obscure' stuff in the west is probably one of the more useful ways to use the medium of Anime Youtube. not that you cant make a like, entertaining, video reviewing some popular shonen manga, but guys seem to go the informational video route with 'did you know fma is good' and like no poo poo its the like number 2 anime on mal. you arent informing me much!!

and the least useful thing the medium of anime youtube can be is a moral guide on which anime its okay to like so ofc theres a ton of people lined up to do that

This is true, like I was prepared to completely pass over Link Click until I saw a youtuber review it and I was like "Huh that actually seems really good, like momento mixed with inception" but, have you considered those of us with normie friends for whom getting them to watch even FMA is a huge ordeal? :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In my case, I am apparently "bad at explaining things" in such a way that people almost always feel less inclined to watch something I suggest; so youtubers provide an alternative.

e to add: And they make a point of saying so when they do end up watching it, i.e "That was actually really good but you made it sound not good."

Like this: https://xkcd.com/2270/

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 27, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

Ive not seen any performative posting yet, people are allowed to not like things

I mean the corollary of this is that people should also be able to like things without:

Zeether posted:

Joey The Anime Man is the worst anime youtuber

or:

Endorph posted:

Super eyepatch wolf sucks and gets a ton of stuff wrong and presents stuff in weird ways

In response to people saying "I like super eyepatch wolf".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Aurora posted:

no actually

:shrug:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

I think thats what we call a discussion, and im sure if i call endorph out right now she will explain her point further. I wont tho

There's a point where being exposed to a certain flippancy or perhaps exaggerated reactions that understandably makes a reasonable person think further discussion is not going to be fruitful or not worth pursuing and different people have different lines in which they make that consideration. Just as people don't have to like something someone else likes, people also don't have to engage with a conversation they know isn't going to be enjoyable or that they have to force to be a discussion via the mechanism of "push back"; and decide that other pursuits are more worth their time.

As an example:

Namtab posted:

But someone else can feel free to ask endorph for an encyclopedic analysis of super eyepatch wolfs failings amd she may provide

Why is it my responsibility to coax a discussion? Especially one by your framing is going to be mostly negative; people in a healthy headspace typically don't see out things they think will upset them or expose them to excessive negativity. They made their choice with their initial words and my first impression as to how that discussion is going to go is set and I think you're downplaying how those posts sound like to others who may have an investment in content they enjoy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

also this conversation complaining about the repetitive complaining has now gone on longer than the like 5 posts lightly complaining about super eyepatch wolf

Yeah, which was why I didn't remark on it originally and instead responding to something else I thought would be more constructive regarding regarding the role of recommendations among ones friends/peer group and it was my mistake to pursue it later.

Endorph posted:

people in healthy headspaces also dont try to diagnose people with mental illnesses over an argument about anime youtubers, you loving freakshow

What. I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to me.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 28, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

Lol at all of the above, especially the long posts.

People should be free to say what they think freely in chat thread 26.

I'm trying to cut down on my word count since this isn't D&D. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

you should make it 0

Instructions unclear, word count now over 9,000.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 28, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Was Tower of God in the last 8 months?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Akudama was great.

Vivy's Song was pretty close but stumbled the ending. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Don't say lazy still slaps, I listen to Saki Ashiwaza's version all the time.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That pizza is making me insanely hungry.

Weird BIAS posted:

You know I feel weird talking about it especially after all this anituber talk but I am getting into making media analysis videos and the first one I did about OMORI was basically "Here's the story, here's my thoughts during and after." I have received no serious criticism or feedback for it in it's first few days being out so I've been wondering if it was even worth doing a video like that. And it's kind of comforting hearing this even if you aren't addressing me specifically? I still have a lot to learn but just hearing that made me happy I made what I did, as flawed as I feel it is. I certainly lacked a budget to do more than use game screens but I want to learn more about video editing and camera work in the future. It also makes me more confidant that people want to have that kind of experience of seeing someone digest their emotions through media. So thanks I guess?

One thing you can do is to look at videos of youtubers with larger followers and look at how they do things, what seems to work for them and how to adapt those lessons into what you aim to be is your own unique style. I'm being a little general as I don't know your sub count or anything, I think Nebula is often brought up as having courses for making/writing youtube videos you could also take a look at for ideas if you're missing feedback?

Here's Soviet Womble making his first video essay pretty recently that talks about the sort of things that goes into it that you might find useful? :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I am pretty sure the solution to both day old fridge pizza or sushi is the same, chef mike.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm really hungry for crab or lobster now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
You'll know you've made it when Genshin Impact or Raid: Shadow Legends offers to sponsor you.

But yeah my post though wasn't really about chasing whats popular, only that if there's a lack of feedback then the next best thing is look at other channels and try to breakdown how they do editing, shot composition, sound mixing, and so on to try to iterate on the more technical delivery of their content.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

dogsicle posted:

get your genshin impact content sponsored by raid shadow legends

Fairplay.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Italian Poutine.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Apparently there's mods that replace all the models of the main characters of the Call of Duty games with GFL characters and it actually... Works really well!? There's some unintentionally hilarious moments with the dialogue juxtapose with their models and some jank where the guns are kinda floating in mid air because the models are shorter and so the camera is way above their heads but the whole thing feels like an early Anime Abridged series it just kinda just works? Possibly because the later CoD games have plots that would fit right into the GFL universe? Or your Stand Alone Complex sort of anime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NHQRbyS_lU&t=713s

It's great. I would thoroughly enjoy a GFL/Arknights first person shooter with CoD's graphics and budget and this basically lets me vicariously live that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Strange Quark posted:

I'm struggling to think of any time anime has done a Sherlock Holmes adaptation well.

Hyouka.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Actually what about Umineko?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
No but as I get across with my Hyouka suggestion earlier I think there exists anime that end up as being better adaptions of the spirit of Sherlock Holmes stories by not actually adapting the stories than the actual adaptions themselves. Umineko (its been a while so I only have a vague recollection) has a lot of focus on the truth of statements, and evidence and so on which I think is pretty in keeping with the spirit of Sherlock Holmes and the mystery genre.

Vs some anime which just have the characters wearing the outfit going on an adventure and there isn't really much of an actual mystery challenging to the viewer to try to solve it themselves.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
MuvLuv is interesting but also too terrifying for me.

Droyer posted:

Hyouka and Umineko are both part of the Shin Honkaku tradition, an intentional return to Christie-style fair-play whodunits that started in the 80s with Soji Shimada's "The Tokyo Zodiac Murders"

I'm curious to know more.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Idk if polyamory is accurate but I think it was both funny and interesting that the show had the self awareness for some of the heroines to acknowledge the existence of the love polyhedron that was at least a little more substantial than other harem shows.

Ardeem posted:

Here, have a different version of that story that's better told, better drawn, and makes more sense.
https://mangadex.org/title/ead008ec-98cf-434b-a86b-f3945b329d9d/maoyuu-maou-yuusha-kono-watashi-no-mono-tonare-yuusha-yo-kotowaru
Also Big Sis Maid is the true protagonist.

I thought the anime did a alright enough job in explaining the various economic schemes to the point it was kinda scratched the Spice & Wolf itch, but I think one of the (two!?) manga adaptions were fine as well; I don't recall it being clearly superior in the spice and wolf aspects though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Erg posted:

I’ll be double honest and say I don’t remember what that spoiler is. Most of ping pong’s story has left me outside of the initial Smile and uhhh bowlcut backstory stuff

and that one guy’s Christmas

Again, anime i thought was worth watching but I’m realizing it didn’t leave much of an impact on me. Both it and GuP get a lot of hype and of the two GuP lives up to it more for me.

My submission for best sports is, of course, Haikyuu S1 + 2. Other seasons are good but those two nailed it.

There's an anime that had I think, a similarly interesting premise for me which was this scifi anime, about this team of like, students/intern engineers building prototype racing rocketships so you have this combination of films like that racing Ford vs Ferrari film meets one of the Apollo Films and there's cut throat corporate dealings and espionage and there's like DUNE style plots within plots of kids switching identities, its crazy and was awesome. I think its one of those classic animes that suffered from its overly brisk half-cour (11ish episode) runtime instead of really having time to breath with exploring its various plots.

I could use a scifi version of Girls Und Panzer, with spaceships or mecha; or maybe a strategy game version, where they're cooperatively playing basically Civilization Six as a VRMMO conquering everyone else but starting from nothing :black101:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

It's cool how VA's get steady gigs like this and respect, unlike poo poo like "We'll cast, uh, Seth Rogen as Shaggy in this claymation Scooby-Doo film and not tell Matthew Lillard about it until Variety tweets it out!"

It made me pretty upset just at how much that new War for Cybertron thing on Netflix just swapped all the voice actors mainly for cost reasons; many of the characters sound nothing like their previous versions (Especially for Part 3). :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've been rereading Megatokyo at work and its actually good, even most of the earlier strips back when it wanted to be a gaming webcomic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DoubleDonut posted:

Megatokyo is likely what ultimately got me into manga so regardless of quality or other problems (idk I haven't read it at all in a very very long time) I'm not gonna hate on it too much

The very earliest strips the art is... Art, I suppose, very devient-art-esque with its obvious Clannad influences on its sleeve, but I think the main selling point especially as the art improves is since Fred was an architectural draftsman his backgrounds usually have proper scale and when his environments are good they're really good at least by the standards of webcomics; and definitely have their charm in our modern world where increasingly manga artists to save time seemed to kinda just stopped drawing environments (this is perception, not making a factual claim).

I think the main selling point at least until you read Qualia the Purple is its probably someone's first exposure to Existentialist themes like the way Largo and Piro have these two equally valid yet radically different world views that interact with each other is actually legitimately interesting. Basically Largo is so out of touch and disassociated with the real world that he views everything like its a video game like in The Gamer, but because he thinks its real it is real; and the events actually happen; and intersect with the "real" world that Piro sees, but Piro's real is probably just as fake as Largo's video game world; which forms a very interesting contrast.

It's also kinda neat that the two leads are relatable in different ways, and also flawed in different ways; especially as I get older I simultaneously admire Largo's free spirit even as I share Piro's cranky outlook on life.

Its been a long time since I last read the webcomic and I'm only like 200 or so strips back in as I reread it, but the last time I read it I lacked the pre-existing knowledge or philosophical context to more closely study the comic's themes and so I'm hoping to on my reread I can glean more with a fresh view instead of applying it retroactively through 20/20 hindsight rose tinted nostalgia glasses.