Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah literally the only limit to missiles is how many you can hold at a time.

Like when I beat Ridley as a kid I didn’t actually have enough misslrs to kill him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gamespot going hard

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bleck posted:

8 is a "the reviewer got stuck and thinks the game is too hard"

I actually went and read the review and it’s was mostly positive like they only had one real complaint so I think Gamespot just used a real rating system?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’ve heard a lot of things about reviewers but never have I heard reviewers called fast.

If anything you should cut some time because they are annoyingly slow

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I do think it’s fair to point out I doubt most people are gonna replay dread or any metriod.

At least replay it more than like any other game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

granted, i haven't played the game but getting 52% completion sounds kinda like buzzing from main point to main point. a lot of the non-linear parts of the game come from going for 100% or exploiting skips.

I mean the same could be said for Fusion but people dig it for being linear

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I don't know what they are referring to but there is zero chance this is the last Metroid game. I mean, MP4 hasn't been officially canceled yet...

This is suppose to wrap up the SR388 arc

Which i didn’t know was a thing until it was announced

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean even if you are stuck in some sort of time vortex and can’t escape them the consequences make them basically not an issue

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Frankston posted:

NGL I've been playing for about an hour and I just think the EMMIs are a bit loving lame? It's just an annoyance more than anything I'm finding.

Edit: reading back a bit it seems a lot of other people have the same thought

They are, without any real consequence you have to make your own tension. Which some seem able to do but I can’t really do it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I do say that the robots kind of just feel like doing SA-X again but SA-X was more effective

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t think anyone is arguing that. Like the SA-X didn’t delete your save but you lost enough progress for it to be a problem

You lose so little here running might actually cost you more

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

i appreciate the EMMI's because it's a fun novelty to have a metroid enemy that can actually kill me

Disrespecting the spider boss from fusion

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nah that’s wrong. I would say that about some of the older metriods but I honestly had no problems outside the omega beam sections

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah that definetly should not be happening.

The only one I’ve heard that is for a special Indic power up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

lets hang out posted:

its kind of a pain in the rear end to get around collecting things at the end of the game thanks to their habit of permanently closing passageways behind you, and the teleports aren't really distributed in a way that makes any sense

The teleports aren’t really fast travel they are more designed points so you can keep progressing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

stev posted:

Tbh Fusion, Super and Zero Mission are all fine as they are and don't need remaking - and we have AM2R so there's no need to redo Samus Returns on a real console. I'd much rather the series continue than remake the old ones.

Just port them all onto Switch.

I mean the amount of people who play fan games are pretty small

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Samus. My analysis indicates that you are a weakling. A total scrub. A prancing frou-frou wussy wuss. Continue pursuit of your objective. Scrub.

What’s weird is this is like all he ever says. I’m like 3/4s through the game and he doesn’t really accomplish anything? Like not even hints if you get stuck

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean all the robot rooms were just long hallways with nothing in them

Which was an odd choice

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m suprised people are struggling with him. He has very, very little health. Though a lot of bosses end way more quickly than I thought they were

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah I don’t know how your hand is positioned but it can’t be optimal

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I just beat the final boss and honestly once you learn the gimmicks it’s real easy.

Especially as the first and final phase had 90% the same move set.

The only problem I had was the sun in phase 3 but power bombs one shot it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also popping the orbs gives you health back so you don’t really need to grind it out

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean are you abusing that dash you get really early. The chozo can not handle that move at all

Neither can the final boss for that matter.

That move might be the best move in the game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barreft posted:

The chozo knights were pissing me off until I realized I could just phase shift over them and missile/shoot at the end, over and over.

Yeah no boss can deal with that move. Especially since you get 2 charges and it refills extremely quickly

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also I’m sad Samus Metroid Hand isn’t gonna be a thing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barreft posted:

It seems so powerful compared to like the invis cloak. I didn't realize how quick it reloaded until those shield chozo guys kept loving me up even after 50 missiles and I just went for it

Did you know there isn’t a cool down so you can chain them together? It’s insane

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You can skip cutscenes? Select

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If it wasn’t a Metroid game I doubt anyone would have played it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah they kind of suck. What’s funny is it’s presented as a cat and mouse game but the areas are so small and kind of blandly designed booking accomplishes way more

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think SAX was done better, TBH

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

gently caress me, a room with two of those chozo robot dudes? i'm poo poo enough that dealing with one of them at a time was a pain lmao

Use the flash dash move they can do nothing if you are running circles around them

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Darko posted:

I liked the SA-X AND the no armor Space Pirate section from Zero Mission better than Dreads stealth. Probably because I immediately played those sections in Dread like the other ones where I always just ran full speed, AND they give you invisibility on top of everything to help you if you screw up.

I forgot about no armor that’s the best version actually

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah you absolutely can do something about it or the fight would be unwinnable

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t even think the games controls are very complex. If you want them to be changeable fine but that’s a different thing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TeaJay posted:

The last boss is a real pain, huh

In the first phase what gets me is his fill-the-room- attack if you are too far, and he follows it with the three hit combo, which corners me quite often. Pretty hard to escape. I guess when his aura shifts it's just a matter of waiting out the melee counter.

Made it to the second phase a few times, but the bullet storm attack gets me every time. I'm basically trying to circle around him just to avoid the damage.

Circling around him with the strew attack works yeah.

Also you can counter the full room attack which makes the fight go really quick

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah honestly the double jump just sucks considering how mobile everything else makes Samue feel

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What they are going to do is you lose your powers through convoluted means

I don’t see that changing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like they might do what prime 2 did and have the bad guys steal your powers and you kill them to take them back

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kin posted:

So, any pointers for the final boss?

So far it feels like a bit of a chore to fight. I thought I'd gotten through his first phase when he fired up the invulnerability but nope, that's still phase 1.

Took me ages to get by it and then the fucker starts flying about and bam, back to square 1.

Is there a way to make him trigger the counter move to get him out of his invulnerable state?

I pretty much had the rest of his attacks in that phase memorised so wasn't actually taking any damage, nor was I dealing any.

Put a lot of distance and he will do the full screen charge. Easy to counter that move.

The second phase is easy with some screw attack to circle him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kin posted:

Aha, I saw him do that cross screen lunge a lot. So the trick is to counter that rather than the taunt.

As for the second stage, you're basically saying to treat it like sonic the hedgehog rather than shoot missiles at him?

Nah you shoot him once he’s done his attack motion

Charge up the storm middles and wait until he’s run himself out.

You don’t really need to be aggressive on form 2.