Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm playing through the games and ugh I know Metroid NES is short but it's so anemic and I wish I was replaying Zero Mission instead.

Nucular Carmul posted:

My dumb jokes earlier aside, it's absolutely sick that Nintendo is pushing this game to the stratosphere and distancing themselves from Other M. The Treehouse during E3 seemed like they were trying very hard to make sure we knew that Samus was a cool badass again.

There was doing damage control, and then there was telling everyone on stream once Adam came up and emphasizing that he wouldn't have that big a role in the game and there was nothing to worry about. Goddamn the sheer damage Other M did to the franchise to warrant that was unreal.

FooF posted:

What I've personally lamented since Super Metroid is turning Samus into a ninja. The actions are so snappy and she's so agile that I miss her being just a drat tank. I mean, once you got a few Energy Tanks under your belt, you tried to avoid damage but you weren't really too scared of getting hit. It was the environmental damage that hurt you more than the enemies. Super Metroid just had more weight behind Samus' actions, beams, etc. You knew a Super Missile hit because it shook the screen.

Yeah one of the reasons why Fusion is kind of a bit jarring and why it's one of the more difficult Metroid games is because everything in the game does so much more damage compared to the other Metroid games at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's also only the 2D games. None of the Prime games are on there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For the mutant Samus is by the end of Fusion, X isn't part of it. Maybe, assuming the SA-X didn't save her during the events of Dread somehow.

I replayed the GBA games recently and had a blast with them. I really can't wait for the new Metroid. I think I enjoyed Zero Mission of the two more though. The player physics just felt so much better than in Fusion (Jumping slows you down there, going into Morph Ball is kinda slow, and Wall Jumping is so much more restrictive to prevent sequence breaks) and the more freeform structure I find suits Metroid gameplay so much better.

That being said I appreciate just how useful your upgrades constantly were in Fusion where in Zero Mission, quite a few aren't that great. Charge Beam in ZM isn't really that useful and Missiles are pretty much the way to go, especially Supers. Power Bombs are neat, but by the time you get them, you have nothing to use them on other than getting more Power Bombs for 100%.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

100% is more of a side thing because generally you get flooded with Missiles and such that running out is never really a threat as long as you grab a good portion of them.

Eopia posted:

I'm not convinced that her being unable to use the ice beam upgrade was ever an actual issue, remember that the federation was actively trying to keep her as weak as possible during that whole thing so lying to her about what upgrades she could get wouldn't be out of the question.

I think it was more they were interested in saving the station at first, and that plan quickly went to poo poo, cause they were trying to power her up and developed the Plasma Beam for her to fight back against the SA-X. Then at some point the idea of trying to control the SA-X (as suicidal as it was) came to them and they started withholding poo poo when they realized Samus would ruin that plan. Samus just got the rest of the upgrades through the Core-X despite their efforts to foil that. There was basically nothing left to save at that point anyways.

Not saying they weren't being shady from the beginning given the whole developing Metroids for "peaceful purposes" aspect for one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Saw it on a stream I was watching briefly. Says something like "An unknown item has been obtained, you cannot use it yet"

Oh. I got scared for a moment and thought you meant a crash. Yeah that was in Zero Mission. Probably just means you have to get the ability to use those first before you benefit from the tanks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Procrastine posted:

In Zero Mission, you can grab any Super Missile tank and unlock Supers (the same applies to Missiles and Power Bombs but you'd need serious glitches to reach one other than the intended "first" tanks)

Also in Fusion Missiles and Power Bombs were unlocked as abilities before you got tanks for them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zero Mission's pickups require some intense precision and execution.

I found Fusion's to be more lenient, there's some shinesparking, but those puzzles have absolutely nothing on ZM's which requires a lot of storage chaining. That being said, the hard part of Fusion's collectibles more often than not is actually finding them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Honestly that length sounds great. Quite a few games like that want to be as long as possible so they kind of bloat out some stuff to accomplish that, or are just naturally long. But not as many shorter ones really.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I’m probably in late game and plot’s pretty basic and not really in depth. About as much as Zero Mission really, so not really Other M levels of bad.

Though there are Nav Rooms along the way, but all Adam really does here is provide hints.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

has anyone figured out the timing for the EMMI counters? like, is there a specific tell I'm not seeing?

I've done it once, on accident.

It is basically right before the flash. If you see the flash and haven't pressed the button by then, it's too late. So you have to predict them instead of entirely react to them, and they have different possible timings depending on the animation they use.

Generally don't rely on that and just haul rear end to the exit if possible.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I think instead of "easy" I'd say forgiving or encouraging. There's different forms of difficulty, and the main one this game avoids is getting you back there to try again. For example this game has some tight timing on tells, and damage high enough you can't just bumble through bosses, and that counts for difficulty.

Yeah, forgiving is how I'd describe it as well, as I died to these bosses way more than in Fusion which I considered to be one of the harder games before. But dying just plops you right outside so you can just hop back in.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think its fine, for the protagonist of a video game to come across something stronger than them. i get that other m was weird but its also weird to not allow the protagonist of a video game series to do video game protag stuff just because shes a woman. like if john master chief was told this about some new alien and the gameplay was built around getting owned by it, would anyone accuse that of being a fetish thing, lol.

They weren't the poster being the one weird about Adam. I think this poster's just being steamed at the funnily dickish statement here. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You never really need it but it can help. It stops Samus from making any sounds, so you can just turn it on to avoid an EMMI's attention. Also you can move with it, and hiding in an alcove corner with Morph Ball will avoid them running into you since they can't enter those.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Cripes, the last boss is so incredibly unforgiving. I'm feeling kinda discouraged. Im kind of surprised there's no checkpoints (So far?)Is ther e any way to get damage in when he's gold? Or am I relying entirely on parries for that part?

His first phase doesn't actually have all that much HP. Once he goes gold he's invulnerable and you need to use melee counters to progress.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

you didn’t think something was up when Adam started saying poo poo like “Samus even though you are almost at full power you stand no chance against Raven Beak, he is just too strong and bad rear end and cool and did you know he has a massive dick and also….”

It's pretty funny to read on a second playthrough knowing that you're talking to an imposter and looking back over just how egotistical he was.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is there HP scaling on bosses?

Was doing the final boss and died to it like 4 times, 5th time (and my successful one) I just kind of rocketed through it's HP like nothing minus the winged phase. That one is a damage sponge and a half

Felt weird, but still probably the best final boss in the franchise. I don't want to go back to big idiot monsters after a cool 1 on 1 anime fight kicked that much rear end

No, though some bosses can heal. (The Experiment does this during the hands on walls attack.)

Some bosses have varying amounts of HP per phase.

Raven Beak''s first phase only has 2000 HP. His 2nd phase has 46000 HP, and his final phase has 22000 HP.

Also I see a lot of people saying Storm Missiles are great. Yeah uh, be warned that you need to lock onto an enemy multiple times for them. Otherwise you're wasting missiles and are better off just shooting normal missiles.

For reference: Missiles deal 100 damage. Supers deal 300 damage. Ice Missiles deal 400 damage. Storm Missiles only deal 100 damage per missile, so each volley that fully lands deals 300 damage. 5 volleys will deal a total of 1500 damage.

That being said bosses do have damage resistances so some attacks will deal more damage than others. Though the specifics haven't been dug out yet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending Question: I keep looking back at it and I don't really get why X Cloak saves you. Like, I took it that it has all his memories and the chozo part of him somehow took over?? But at the same time if that were the case why did it turn the EMMI back on?

I can think of 2 possible explanations for the last thing. I assume it's as Taurus Oxford said and Quiet Robe X realized too much poo poo was going down at that point to leave Samus underpowered and reactivated the EMMIs so she could get their abilities.

Or that QR-X was just simply repeating the last line and was trying to kill Samus cause it was an X. But eventually Quiet Robe's benevolence won out. He just didn't get to the X first in that case cause the X instincts were in effect there and trying to kill Samus.

For the first thing I assume either the Chozo were wrong about all the X being mindless evil, or Quiet Robe's benevolence and willpower won out and carried over to the X.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Vookatos posted:

I guess it's my problem more than the game's, but I absolutely hate pressing in the stick while running.
I'm one of like two people who prefer to jump using the circle button in Dark Souls, too.

Nah, I really don't like that they had L3 as the input for the speed booster as well. It feels awkward.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Vookatos posted:

So what's the deal with Samus being a daughter of Beak? Was that an expression? Was that the Chozo that she grew up with? I seem to remember it being someone else...
The cutscene also has her in the test tube, so at first, I thought that I was playing as some sort of clone, but I guess she was just experimented on during her youth?

Metaphorical and Raven Beak was egotistical enough to declare Samus as his daughter just because she had his DNA. Old Bird and Grey Voice are seen for a brief second in the flashbacks, so those two are still Samus's real dads.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I think that all that poo poo was a callback to the manga, where Samus sees Ridley again on Zebes and it gives her some serious PTSD.
Of course, when that happens Samus is also like, 14 years old tops so it actually makes sense for her to still be traumatized by the giant space dragon that made her watch when he ate her parents.

Also Ridley deliberately needles Samus with those facts to cause her to break down. Taunting her about how her mother's cells are a part of his body and rubbing that in Samus's face and reminding her of the gruesome in depth details of that day because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Where in Other M his clone just shows up and uh. That scene happens.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Vookatos posted:

This is one of the few panels from the manga I've seen, and it kinda makes me wish Ridley would talk sometimes. That was pretty terrifying

For reference:

Ridley was heavily injured in said attack years ago and ate a bunch of poo poo and humans to regenerate his body. And rubs that factoid in Samus's face hard when he realizes she has PTSD from the day of that attack.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I feel like you'd just be better off making another game that uses Other M's engine instead if any part of that should ever be revisited. One that uses the stick instead of a D-pad to move around.

And of course a not utterly garbage story.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For that reason a save file gets made that has the opening cutscene already played, and then exited out. Then copied over to an empty save file so you can immediately start a speedrun without having to sit through all that anytime you want a fresh start.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

JordanKai posted:

I wonder if this is why there is such a massive, clunky story dump in the middle of the game. Maybe they planned to sprinkle major plot beats throughout the game but were forced to cut down on that stuff once Nintendo started putting pressure on the project.

I also wonder if this is the reason for the sheer miniboss repeats later on.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Power Beam - 25 (Charged - 75)
Wide Beam - 25 (Charged - 75)
Plasma Beam - 50 (Charged - 150)
Wave Beam - 80 (Charged - 240)
Hyper Beam - 999999
Grapple Beam - 25
Missile - 100
Super Missile - 300
Storm Missile - 300
Ice Missile - 400
Bomb - 80
Cross Bomb - 400
Power Bomb - 800

You can also get to there through Dairon.

CuddleCryptid posted:

The wide beam doesn't do three times the damage? My life is a lie

Note that the damage values listed for the beams are only for one beam. If you hit all 3 beams, triple the damage numbers. Storm Missile is only if you hit all 3 missiles in 1 volley, they only do 100 damage each. They do pierce i-frames though.

Also for those of you familiar with the GBA games, Plasma Beam doesn't deal damage on every frame here. Nor in Samus Returns. It's just a damage increase.

Don't take these values entirely as the gospel as some enemies and bosses have damage resistance or weaknesses to specific weapons. On a related note for the last upgrade Power Bombs are actually an instant kill on mooks. It only deals 800 damage if it's against an entity it can't kill, such as mini-bosses and bosses.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 17, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Ok on (late boss spoiler) Giant Lava X monster (Experiment Z-57?) HOW in the gently caress do you dodge the double arm swing? If I try to space jump in the middle I get hit by the boss, if I try to stay center left / right I get hit by the arm and if I try to stay below the bosses head I get hit during the swipe.

After dodging the first 2 swipes, land in the center and wait a moment to jump.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

"Prime isn't canon" was never said. It was more like "the events of Prime are irrelevant to Other M" since that was its own story arc that wasn't referenced in that game.

Samus Returns pretty much enforced that the events of Prime did happen with the Proteus Ridley fight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In Fusion? You literally can’t beat Fusion without getting the space jump, you get it from the spider boss. The room is in Sector 2 iirc.

Oh I know what room you're talking about, yeah that one's awful. That was so annoying to get through.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fusion's Screw Attack re-enables single wall jumps!? :psyboom:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's also like plenty of non-verbal expression in the game? Do they need everything spelled out for them? Like just look at the Kraid intro scene where the two of them basically go "Oh, it's you." Before resuming the attempts to murder each other.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Yeah space jump plus screw attack is like your "here you're done being challenged by regular problems, go collect things" signal.

There's an important dimension to metroidvania where you feel like an unstoppable badass by the end without resorting to pure number go up.

One of the things that does make Metroid stand out is that all or most of the upgrades make traversal easier in some fashion. Where in some other Metroidvania games an ability could just end up being a glorified key to access a new path or a few and never used again.

HenryEx posted:

I like the last section of ZM.
Puilling off a full stealth no-alert run is one of my proudest gaming achievements, and requires some insane crumble-block dodging, single-wall jumping and mid-air balling. It really pushes the engine and Samus' movement abilities to the limit.

edit: also it's proof that metroid can crawl

You also need frame perfect shots. Space Pirates can actually see in front and behind them. The only time they can't see anything is while turning around, which is how you avoid getting seen by the first Space Pirate. Even then the timing is really hard.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 19, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FAT BATMAN posted:

Final boss question: Does shinespark do damage to him on his 2nd phase? I couldn’t tell if it was or not. I don’t think there’s enough room to try it in his third phase, and I doubt it works for the first phase.

Doesn't work in any part of the fight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

Why would they patch it out? That just seems rude.

It depends on the dev team for the game, but some of them tend to be draconic about glitches and patches every last non-harmful exploit out if they can. Some of Nintendo's dev teams don't care unless a seemingly harmless glitch turns out to be harmful. (Splatoon turned some exploits into features while basically stamping out the harmful ones entirely.) And some of them get hard on creative exploits you can pull off in the likes of Mario Maker 2 and such much to the frustration of that game's playerbase. Though it remains to be seen whether MercurySteam will do that kind of thing for Dread.

For what it's worth, the patch that the game got only fixed the crash and touched almost nothing else. Unfortunately the "almost nothing else" was the loading times, which the patch made worse.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Storm Missiles also pierces i-frames which can destroy certain bosses that have a lot of those.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Knowing the SA-X had X-Ray Scope in that potential hack was terrifying. Seeing that there could be more than 1 SA-X at once in a given room was :catstare:.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I've heard a lot of bellyaching about the FE Fates localization, but I've never heard anything about people's jobs being in danger and I doubt it's true.

Yeah I'm gonna need an actual source on that and not some hearsay as well. Never heard of people's jobs being threatened over it either.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly while I love Ridley fights, I feel him being in Dread would have overshadowed Raven Beak.

Pretty sure they settled on Ridley being dead at this point given they had a lot of excuses to bring him back yet again but he isn't. Wonder if this is the last we'll see of the current space pirate faction, since Kraid was the only known member left in Dread.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Holy poo poo. :eyepop:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Sounds like it will be healthy for the community then. Once major glitches and boundry breaking become the norm, then very quickly the game just becomes a series of visual glitches until it becomes unrecognizable to anyone not fully invested.

Not really? This wasn't done for the benefit of the speedrun community and was explicitly stated in the patch notes it has the potential to affect casual play too much to leave alone. And there are already a no major glitches categories for that kind of thing for speedruns.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Seriously, how do you not understand that running away from a currently impossible foe isn’t weakness, it’s loving common sense.

If anyone really walked away from Dread thinking “wowowow they just can’t show Samus as a strong, independent woman” then I can’t help but imagine what hot takes they would drop about Fusion lmao. That game starts with Samus admitting “this is by far the weakest I’ve ever been and I’m supposed to deal with a version of me at my absolute strongest, shits hosed.”

Heck if you want the "Samus is a loving dumbass" angle, there's the Japanese version of the Varia Suit segment in Other M which has you covered on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fedule posted:

Wait, was that even worse originally? Because the localised one was pretty loving dumb.

(I've probably forgotten tons of stuff about Other M like this)

Basically instead of Adam just suddenly deciding you get to live by enabling your Varia Suit in the middle of the lava section instead of before, Samus is basically ordered not to go to that sector. The way she handles it is by just going there without turning on her Varia Suit to technically follow orders or something to the letter without actually violating them. Yeah I dunno. :psyduck: The end result is that Adam authorizing the suit is basically him yelling at her to stop being a dumbass and just turn on the goddamn suit to avoid getting cooked.

Up to you on which version is worse cause even that version is pretty bad. (Or at the very least belongs in an entirely different game.)