Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

buglord posted:

despite being a socailist bernie bro he does follow a lot of natural medicine spiritual healing aesthetic instagram pages. I get the appeal of thinking you're a child of nature pure from the corruption of pharmaceutical influence but like he also smokes weed and eat spicy chicken nuggets from McDonalds (the latter of which I'd personally consider gods medicine but thats besides the point). Maybe its just fear of making the wrong choice, I know some people are likely to avoid making a choice entirely when they feel making a choice carries risk, even if inaction is a choice.

It could just be that, I dont plan on pelting him with peer reviewed articles or showing him charts. I think we're past that point. If I could just gently tell him "hey man, im worried for you, you're gonna be alright, lets just get this done and all breathe a bit easier, ill treat you to mcdonalds" that would be stellar, but we havent hung in person because of his reluctance, so I cant really put on that warmth in person.

If he’s into all that bullshit point out that the original purveyors of the most natural medicine around (and who have every reason to distrust the US government) have some of the highest vaccinated rates in the country: native Americans on reservations. Might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So one of the reasons I’m hearing from teachers and care groups for public schools being so adamantly open’r up is apparently really bad levels of child abuse and neglect among lower income populations as parents are forced to go to work and leave kids at home unsupervised or with friends or relatives they normally probably wouldn’t out of desperation. I am kind of queasy about some of the stories I’ve heard regarding child sexual abuse numbers in particular.

Shits still bad out there yo, even with all the stimulus.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Well I found out that my wife is going on immune suppressors for a recently diagnosed issue.

She's going to qualify for a booster as soon as she starts, but now I really need to make sure she's as protected as possible. I really worry about the kids bringing stuff home now.

Time to buy more N95s.

Be healthy USA has a sale going on right now, 200 for $160.

https://behealthyusa.net/products/special-blue-kf94-3d-mask-large-white-adult-size-200pcs-special-free-shipping

They also had 100 for 70 but it looks like that might be past.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

im just gonna keep repping my post on "how to read science literature for babbies"

I do welcome edits or additions. Let me know.

edit: "let's read some actual science" is baby steps but I'll be incredibly pleased if even a handful of goons take that up.
Reading literature is a major part of my classes this fall in large part because there's so much bullshit out there about COVID it's now more important than ever to be able to navigate academic literature.

especially during this pandemic having some basic proficiency in evaluating scientific publications is incredibly useful!

Maybe you need to put a walkthrough on YouTube. I mean I’ve followed your ‘how to’ (IMO) for a year now but as a layperson I am likely not the best judge of how well I’m actually doing, you know? Dunning-Kruger and all that. How do I ‘check my work’ as it were?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

enki42 posted:

Pfizer submission for 5-12 looks like it's imminent, and from the sounds of it, no real warning signs (notably, no evidence of myocarditis): https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/20/health/pfizer-child-vaccine-data/index.html

It’s possible 5-11 might have vaccines by Halloween!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh poo poo yeah I remember that. Poor critters.

They were fur mink so were gonna die horribly anyway.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Updates on approval for other boosters/kid shots!

The FDA announced that VRBPAC (external scientific advisory committee to the FDA) will meet to discuss the following topics:

October 15: Moderna booster

October 16: J&J booster; and mixing and matching vaccines

Oct 26: 5-11 year old vaccine

If VRBPAC votes in favor of these, then the ACIP and CDC will review the data a few days later. Then, if that goes well, approval could be given within 24 hours.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

is the 5-11 vaccine there Pfizer?

Yep

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fighting Trousers posted:

Yeah, this, basically. I'm a college instructor and female, and I know I'm judged on my personal appearance in a way that is stupid and unfair, but also real. Do I wish my options for N95/KN95s were more visually interesting? Of course. Am I going to stop wearing them? Not any time soon! My husband is immune-compromised and has a heart condition - I'm not bringing that poo poo home if I can help it.

Ooo, thanks for this.

BeHealthyUSA has patterned and black KN94s as well, mix and match etc.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

As someone who got the J&J one-and-done have they discussed what the booster schedule might look like for that?

Just get a Moderna booster assuming you didn't literally just get it within the last month.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have a choice, I can get either whenever basically, that's why I'm asking.

Wasn’t much statistical difference between the two MRNA boosters if you got Pfizer. I think if you had Moderna getting a third Moderna was best but Pfizer wasn’t much worse. J&J definitely Moderna. I forget for AZ because we don’t have it here but I imagine either MRNA is good.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Smeef posted:

I bet Thoreau would have been anti-mask and anti-vaxx as hell.

Course he was also a social distance grand champion so it’s probably a wash.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

Still needs to go through the CDC to be official, right?

Yup. They’re meeting Tuesday. It’s a rubber stamp at this point they’re already making appointments at one of the local school districts.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

If you want to plant your flag in a slippery slope argument, so be it, but I am frankly sick of poo poo that seems like Covid theater the same way we got security theater at the airports after 9/11. Every business I've been to even in 2021 still has dumbass signs up about how much they clean and sanitize and have lots of hand sanitizer on hand, as if fomite transmission is the problem and not all the people sharing air and going unmasked.

I'm kind of torn on this one. Yes, fomite transmission is rare enough so as to be functionally nonexistent barring rare cases of people being incredibly gross (I think the one I recall was 'dude blows/picks nose, presses elevator button, exits, another dude gets on, presses button, rubs eye and boom) but on the other hand, other common diseases ARE transmitted readily by fomites (flu, colds) and anything that increases handwashing/sanitizing is a good thing when it comes to those annoyances and I wonder if perhaps they aren't piggybacking on covid to reinforce hand sanitation in general, which I can't find fault with so long as they're not using clean hands to unmask and party it up indoors.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

In good news:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/novavax-covid-vaccine-1.6232507

Novovax just filed for approval in Canada. That's pretty big since that's the one we can produce locally.

Also a non-mRNA vaccine in high quantities might finally get a few of the morons who listeb to too much Joe Rogan to finally get vaccinated (not all of them but every little bit counts).

Spoiler: it won't. Still 'developed too fast/not enough research/sure its better BUUUT' bullshit will rule the day. Anti-vaxxers gonna antivax and they aren't going to let this One Weird Trick(tm) of a traditional vaccine developed via traditional means end their gravy train that easy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Man...Moderna booster is no joke. First two shots I just felt like I got punched. This is different. It's really sore. Hurts to walk and hurts to just move my arm.

Worth it!

I got it Friday and just got covid arm and a little tired. Same as the second one. First one didn't phase me at all. Either I'm Superwoman and never needed one or my immune system is toast and I'm gonna die of an infected hangnail any day now.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

The 1968 flu pandemic killed roughly 4 million people and is one of the deadliest pandemics of the modern era. The 1957 flu it was descended from killed quite a few as well but I can't remember that number off the top of my head. Those were firmly in the jet age. Not attacking you personally it's just odd how we all remember the 1918 flu but don't collectively remember the other big pandemics of the 20th century.

Bodies in the streets and mass graves tend to stick in the collective memory.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rad Russian posted:

People there are still refusing to get vaccinated. Two weeks ago they shut down schools and kindergartens in the country again and sent all kids home "until the end of the year, for the holidays" to help control this. Then last week everything else went under full lockdown again. It's bad. Gov't messaging is stuck between "it's actually not bad, Russia strong, anything you hear from the West about our deaths is propaganda!", and "go get vaccinated please!" so it's not going to get any better.

The fact they only allow their own vaccines + the fact they poisoned that well by denigrating everyone else's vaccines as dangerous and untested and etc (which led to distrust of all vaccines) doesn't help either.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

I was starting to wonder if it was me and my working from home (and thus rarely driving anywhere, let alone on the expressway). I had to drive about 25-30 minutes away to get my booster on Thursday, forgot my vaccine card, and had to drive back to get it/get the shot, etc. The whole time I'm on the highway going 70-ish miles per hour (65mph zone) and was almost flattened several times by people in pickups/SUVs going 85-90+. It makes me want to sell my car and just move to an area downtown where I can walk to places. gently caress driving.
I see people running red lights on the regular since i started working in person part time. I mean RED lights not 'orange.' Its turned into Mad Max around here on the roads.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

How are u posted:

Yeah fair enough. Trump certainly didn't help it any.

I actually have gotten some sort of cold or something for the first time in 2 years, just two days ago. It sucks! Thankfully not covid, I tested this morning.

I feel like I'm coming down with the flu (had to attend a funeral, skipped the after party because lol being indoors with a bunch of unmasked unvaxxed Trump supporting relatives AND expected to eat mask off). Covid test negative. Apparently our local school's whole hockey team is down with the actual flu so that's a thing again.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Even in your insane hypothetical, who do you think flies the jets? You think the chud pilots of the most insanely religious conservative branch of the armed forces is going to just say "yes, sir" and level the Florida governor's mansion? Get a grip.

This is probably the biggest most glaring problem revealed so far by the pandemic: police (especially) and armed forces are significantly populated by rightwingers, and leftists are supremely uninterested in joining up. This means ultimately you're leaving the execution of laws in the hands of those who most disagree with them and are more and more vocally refusing to enforce them, especially in rural areas (witness all the cops who are coining a new definition of sheriff that is just sovereign citizen bullshit with the gold fringe cut off and pretty much declaring themselves their own private fiefdom). What do you do when the executive branch loses control of the executors? Especially when that and the legislative branch depends on those same executors to defend and protect them?

Oracle fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 30, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One of my friends finished her PhD in medical sociology in 2018 or so and declined to join the CDC due to the indefinite hiring freeze and also the demoralization of her contacts there. Her masters work with the CDC was on how to improve compliance with CDC and other medical professional recommendations regarding a deadly and contagious respiratory illness.

:negative:

God drat. This is some O.Henry poo poo.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tarezax posted:

How much of that is b/c people have that dude ignored

Ding!

Of course ignoring is useless when people constantly quote the poo poo.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just because we all have to die sometime doesn’t mean I should take up smoking, drinking to excess and unprotected sex with strangers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Huge shipment apparently came in to the states. Sams club was selling binax 2 packs for 14.99 each. A few dozen left when I picked up some at closing.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Still not sure why the spit-in-a-tube PCR test hasn't gotten more widespread use compared to the deep nasal swabs.

It's how my kids test at school, and how we tested my older one last week.

Maybe it's just Illinois pride in the U of I Shield Test? Not sure.

Seriously, I love the spit test. I can be in and out in three minutes and two of that is parking the drat car.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

hypothetical:

paxlovid will be approved. this is certain. however, the fda won't officially approve it until later this week. we're, more or less, waiting for their signature that is sure to come.

given this, could pfizer legally start producing it before the official approval is signed later this week? that'd give them some stock to send out, which might help a bit.

From CBS News:

quote:

Pfizer expects to produce more than 180,000 packs of the antiviral by the end of the year and 21 million in the first half of next year.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The big one's OSHA.

What happens if OSHA just outright announces 'the Supreme Court has made their decision now let them enforce it' and just keeps on keepin' on?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

brugroffil posted:

If you have or had cancer, you are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19. Whether you came in for "incidental" non-COVID related issues or you are at a high risk of picking up COVID in the hospital, it seems like a bad scenario.

And they mean EVER had cancer. One of my higher level bosses died of this just before vaccines were approved for non medical workers. He was in his mid fifties and his only preexisting condition was he beat prostate cancer over a decade previous.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I have two kids in two different schools. While there's masking requirements, and both are vaccinated, they still do things like, say, eating lunch in a big cafeteria. And needless to say kids aren't generally in N-95's.

They started back in person yesterday. I am giving us until the end of the week, max, before one brings it home.

my kids aren't eating or drinking at school and have been in kn94s since school started back. Big breakfast and we drop them off/pick them up so they don't ride the bus and bring snacks/water bottles. Schools are cracking down hard on proper mask wearing here, teachers have at least figured out bribery works to keep kids wearing their masks correctly (lot less chin straps and dick noses, if kids are 'caught 'wearing them correctly they get a jolly rancher, which I guess you can suck on while masked so not the worst idea) and my kids say its working. They still reported like four teachers out each. Education has been pretty barebones as well.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Morrow posted:

Just chiming in, this is what a lot of companies should be doing. Instead of slashing staff to the bone they're retaining excess capacity so they can absorb a lot of sick leave. They can't control when you get sick, since you're exposed outside of work too, but they can prepare for it.

Makes me wonder if this might be the explanation for the twice as many hires in December numbers than they were expecting.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Good to know in more than half a century society's upper class hasn't fundamentally changed, jesus loving christ

The thing that pisses me off the most about their dipshit statement is "students should remain in K12 classrooms"

:psyduck:

...What students in classrooms you loving morons?! You look at the attendance reports lately? They aren't in the classroom and at home anyway because they got a potentially deadly plague you loving idiots, rather than at home healthy working on school work online at least. But you have already admitted the entire US K-12 education system is extended daycare so mom and dad can grind their bones to dust for Number, so not like teachers and staff (who are resigning en masse by the way) should give a poo poo.

Like the absences in schools right now are unreal and nothing like I have ever seen. 40-70% of the student body just gone, classrooms with 4 kids or just empty. School hallways and lunchrooms are ghost towns. What the gently caress is the point of all this idiocy if it's not even effective for their moronic goals?

Really wish they had told me my education degree just meant "child warehouse management" before I got it.
Half a milennium unless I missed a huge black plague outbreak in the 70s.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Alctel posted:

My girlfriends sister got covid really badly and then had heart issues afterwards

However they completely cleared up when she got pregnant

New covid cure?!

This can actually happen with several systemic diseases like lupus, ms, arthritis. Its possible her issues are caused by her own immune system, as pregnancy lowers your immune response.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

a team with a personalized vaccination will be dispatched to you promptly~

I am earnestly asking what masks work well with a full beard. n95s are kind of a waste afaik from talking to respiratory techs if you can't get a full seal?

None, honestly. Shave it or resign yourself to the 'rona.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Anyone else seeing an uptick in the word Flurona describing having the flu and corona simultaneously

New word of the hour yeah.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

lil poopendorfer posted:

he should have him arrested and tried for treason, using the emergency powers available to him.

treason, as has been explained to death in various permutations of the US News/Current Events thread, is incredibly hard to prove in the US by design of the founding fathers who were for some reason obsessed with the idea of a too-powerful head of state using it on their political enemies willy-nilly.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Is the Supreme Court going to rule in favor of enforcing those measures? Because Brown v. Board of Education was pretty key in enabling that federal response and current signs don't look good.

Like you really can't say "Enforced a Supreme Court ruling" is the same thing as "Just unilaterally do it" in the context of how the US is set up.

Like there might be other examples you could find that would be a better fit but school desegregation is a pretty poor comparison given the key role of court actions.

Not to mention school segregation now is worse than it was when Brown was decided.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brave New World posted:

Ever heard of Rosie the Riveter? A crisis like this is the exact moment that you push through inevitable social changes.

Perhaps you missed the part where the men came home from the war and Rosie had her rear end booted right back into the kitchen for another 20 years...

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Just like my last workplace I have everyone set up with a laptop and VPN. Still waiting to hear if I'll be allowed to bail out.

Never ask permission. Only ask forgiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

MooselanderII posted:

This seems pretty insane to do. Didn't the Trump administration also mess around with certain reporting functions to downplay the severity? I know it wasn't the same requirement as this, but what purpose can this possibly serve other than to obfuscate the severity of the current wave?

I think the idea (excuse?) was to take some load off already overstressed hospital systems.