Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I know there’s a Commander thread but it may be good to have it here too - I am a goon that is a “content creator” in the Magic space.

You can find me on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderMechanic and on Twitter @CMDRMechanic

A few thousand people seem to enjoy my stuff so check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

A big flaming stink posted:

found a pretty good analysis just from a quick twitter search

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1446593546866212864

Hey I know those guys

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hey folks - I'm doing my annual charity drive this month, where I'm posting a micro deck tech and deck list every day, raising money for SickKids Children's Hospitals.

Would really appreciate if you'd check out my channel, share the good word, and if you can, donate to this great cause:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZZFoVoKXLQ

If you're feeling generous, you can donate here:
https://www.extra-life.org/participant/CommanderMechanic

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Any goons going to be in Vegas?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm sat in Heathrow now, going by way of Seattle though. Also didn't want to build a modern deck and go into the Friday event with barely any practice, so playing the sealed event and deciding if I want to buy 2 Solitude or sell the 2 I have.

I’ll be there doing commander stuff all weekend. Come see me and get one of my logo patches.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

Did anyone brave the plague and nerd smell to go to Vegas this past weekend for the ChannelFireball thing?

I was there all weekend.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

How was it? Crowds decent size?

Amazing turn out, bigger than most of the GPs I’ve been to here in Toronto.

The whole thing was great. I was in th CZ signing and jamming with people all weekend but I heard some of the OP logistics were garbage.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

flatluigi posted:

rhystic studies is an absolutely fantastic channel

And Sam is a wonderful person!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

General Morden posted:

Are Tamiyo fans in turmoil now that she's Compleated?

Yes.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

HootTheOwl posted:

New Capena is actually Alara confirmed.

That’d be a pretty wild twist

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

HootTheOwl posted:

If only thre was a way to make a Phyrxian Dreadnought Hamster!

Maskwood Nexus is a thing

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

HootTheOwl posted:

Is it a 12/12?

It could even be a boat

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hey goons, I have a preview card for April 10th.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

plug your content my man

Find me everywhere fine Commander content is made, under the name Commander Mechanic:

https://linktr.ee/CMDRMechanic

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My preview is live, take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOHJ1V_yhqM

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I’ll never forget my goons

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's probably templated like that so you can't stop the connive by removing the target spell

It’s templated that way so you don’t get the trigger if something else makes it connive like Raffine.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hey Goons, I typically hate shilling my channel here but I'm like 100 subs away from hitting 10,000 on YouTube which is KIND OF A BIG THING so if you want hot EDH content please go sub:
https://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderMechanic/

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
A case of set boxes gets you a lot of things you could have spent a lot less money on

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any one in Montreal? Trying to find a lgs to play at.

I’ll be at CommandFest (I know that doesn’t help RIGHT NOW)

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Have they announced more for Magic 30? They said tickets would go on sale in July along with some more details but I've not seen.

Is anyone else thinking of going? I'm happy for an excuse to go to Vegas, although I can't decide if I should stay on the strip or downtown nearer to the event.

Not a lot of new news, no - there’s actually been a big commander event announced in Utah like 2 weeks after Vegas and it seems like a LOT of artists and Magic personalities are attending that. Maybe instead? Idk

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If any of y’all are going to be at Summit be sure to find me and say “hi”

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

Have a good time! A write up sometime after the con would be cool if you have the time to talk about your experiences there.

Haha I can try but as a creator I don’t think my experience will resonate with the average experience

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Ok I said I was going to do this so here we go:

Hey folks, I'm Chris and I'm YOUR Commander Mechanic. I was invited as a creator to the first ever MTG Summit by Kingdoms in SLC this past weekend, and here's my experience.

Disclaimer: thanks to the affiliate program my flight and stay were both comp'd by Kingdoms. So let that color this however it may.

For a first time TO Kingdoms did a lot right and had a lot of issues as well. Funneling event registration through a hastily-built app was a mistake but the alternatives (manually or via Magic Companion) were, understandably, just as worse. But this app also tracked your prize tix as well so as to eliminate physical media so... meh. The issue was that hiccups would drop people from events seemingly randomly or by mistake, and if you had overlapping events - ones you signed up for that were approaching while you were still in an event - it was a crapshoot as to which one they'd drop you from. And when some events you paid in advance for, that was not cool in a lot of occasions. One fan told me a nightmare story of getting randomly drawn to be part of Sanderson's cube then was dropped from it by the app because he had signed up for a prerelease lol

They also did this weird-but-cool thing where all VIPs and Creators were automatically enrolled in all events, so they could just show up and take part without having to worry about signing up. But it ended up being a nightmare when like 200 people dropped from events in round 1. idk how much of a logistical nightmare that ended up being but hey we got free prerelease kits for it.

I spent most of my days in the Commander area, obviously. This event did this really cool thing called Creator Clash, where VIPs could sign up (or just show up lol) and jam games with creators. Everyone was given free precons so there was no issue with deck mismatches, which was a BIG big brain move. However Kingdoms was understaffed for this and asked the Degen Games crew (MTGNerdGirl's team) to run this for them. Poor Brittany worked like a maniac all weekend to make sure this was a good experience for fans. She deserves a medal! But this feature is something a LOT of TOs should do with invited creators; it's very cool and was a big draw for people to buy VIP passes to get face time with people like Prof, Kibler, the PWP guys, and some goon like me.

The Commander area was packed all 3 days and, unlike Magic 30 in Vegas, there was no differentiation between the Commander freeplay area and the "Command Zone". Everyone could play with everyone, signing up for the Command Zone just got you on demand event tix. It meant the pool for players was MUCH larger and everyone just got to enjoy playing games. Very cool.

I brought 5 decks with me of varying power scales and ACTUALLY played all of them. Plus the precons. Plus some other peoples' decks.

There was a "green room" for creators and artists and judges that was fully stocked with snacks and food and drinks, which was a nice touch. It was a haul and a half across the con center and a little hard to find at first but I've never seen another event do this either and it was good for a break. A quiet space to make sure 'talent' wasn't overwhelmed or dehydrated. A+

Apart from that the highlight was hanging out with people. Seeing fans, meeting new friends, and seeing old friends again. In that, the event absolutely kicked rear end.

https://twitter.com/CmdrMechanic/status/1592925540708933634?s=20&t=0pDC83d85HJ_5PBNaRnk4w

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

W.T. Fits posted:

Nice! I was honestly shocked at how many foils I pulled, the store page said each card had a 30% chance of being a foil, and I ended up with 14 of them.

Foils:

Lim-Dul's Vault
Squee, Goblin Nabob
Chrome Mox
Lightning Helix
Heritage Druid
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Dragonlord Ojutai
Thalia, Heretic Cathar
Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
Arclight Phoenix
Emry, Lurker of the Loch
SHARK TYPHOON
Nashi, Moon Sage's Scion
Lotus Field

That first one is relevant to my interests

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hey I’m giving away a copy of the “Look at the Kitties” con-exclusive Secret Lair. Details on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/cmdrmechanic/status/1628423157034909699?s=46&t=djPJ5PaEvCQV63C3v-57Iw

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

LifeLynx posted:

Is the only way to get that at the con? My Rin and Seri deck needs this. Entered!

Ya, only available at Magic Cons!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The new Ob Nixilis is REALLY GOOD. Here’s a commander brew with him at the lead but you know what else he does? Combos with All Will Be One. Idk current standard/pioneer metas but that’s gotta be good right?

https://youtu.be/dZnjd_KDvb8

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AngryBooch posted:

wow what Orcish Bowmasters seems nuts to me

Orcish Bowmasters will be one of the best cards on the set, mark my words

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

I brought my Drake posted:

I can't think of a magic video or podcast series that doesn't make me cringe or roll my eyes after listening to the first couple episodes. Even quest for the janklord is getting hard to watch now that they are doing sponsored stuff with dragon shield.

I hear that Commander Mechanic person (me) is pretty ok.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Any goons going to be in Vegas? Come say hi and get some stickers from me, YOUR Commander Mechanic!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

HootTheOwl posted:

https://twitter.com/ManaCurves/status/1705686796263190712?t=uNxg0GxJTpBRFRWMERqF5g&s=19
IHOP .. sleeves!?
If I ever get into paper again I think I need them, and the bird bolter

By day 3 they were giving away one sleeve at a time

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If you’re in MC Chicago today I’ve got a meet & greet from 10 - 12, would be great to see some goons!

https://x.com/cmdrmechanic/status/1761767536952049909?s=46&t=C4BQ78anj_wCKctGT46Jvg

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Chicago was a ton of fun and the biggest Magic event ever so far.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Seems real good with flagstones of trokair

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I still wish they would pick a set to not do any leaks/spoilers and just have people show up blind to the pre-release and figure it out in real time.

Previews serve a lot of purpose for marketing tho. Retailers need to know if the set is any good before they place orders.

Not having previews is like a movie or game not doing reviews before release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Khanstant posted:

This sounds lovely.

But usually bodes poorly for the media in question.