Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

goferchan posted:

If I copy Memory Deluge with Galvanic Iteration is "X" for "the amount of mana spent to cast this spell" 0 for the copy, or is it the same as the original cast? I think the answer is the latter but I don't really understand why.

edit: also it feels a little sloppy having Magecraft ("whenever you cast or copy...") stuff mixed up in Standard with cards like Poppet Stitcher that have similar triggers but don't care about copies. Just ran into a guy on MTGA with a very cool izzet brew where he clearly was not aware of that non-interaction either :(

The reason is that rule 707.10 says that when you copy a spell or ability, you copy all choices made while casting it. Mana costs paid, values for x, modes, targets, kicker, just about anything about the original spell copies over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I definitely remember seeing a clearly opened and returned Premium Deck Series: Fire and Lightning at Walmart.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Weird Pumpkin posted:

This also makes sense because modal spells resolve in the written order of choices as well don't they? So you'd destroy the thing, resolve all state based actions associate with it, then resolve the next effect of the spell, and so on. Or at least my understanding is that.

Which is why you can fizzle a cryptic command that picks "Bounce target, Draw" by making the target invalid, thus not giving them a card iirc?

state based actions are not checked in the middle of resolving a spell. The official rule for when SBAs are checked is "Whenever a player would receive priority." For example, if you had a card that said "deal 20 damage to each creature, then target creature gets +20/+20," that creature would not die.

However, if you had a card that said "destroy all creatures, then target creature gains indestructible" that wouldn't work, because destroying creatures puts them in the graveyard directly and doesn't wait for SBAs like damage does. It's the same with "exile until." It just happens immediately as soon as the condition is filled.

You fizzle cryptic because it's a spell that lost its targets before it resolved, so it is countered by the game rules when it would resolve. It's nothing to do with state based actions.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't think the condition of the 1/1 ring matters that much. Like, what are you going to do, wait for a bgs 10 one?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Yep.

201.2a posted:

Two or more objects have the same name if they have at least one name in common, even if one or more of those objects have additional names. An object with no name doesn't have the same name as any other object, including another object with no name.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
just have enough chaff to back your proxies with real cards. Also, printing them is like playing Warhammer with an unpainted army. Draw your own proxies.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

MrL_JaKiri posted:

All they had to do was give the name and type boxes the same coloured backgrounds as the other full art lands, which would have made them some of my favourites. Instead I can only really use them in mono-coloured decks.

This is why the NEO full arts are so good. Just a big name and symbol in the top left. Idk why they always put the symbol in the bottom middle on full arts. You'd only see it on top of a stack.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Ability words were introduced in kamigawa block iirc.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
For lots of little dudes on a budget, I would go for mono white. But, you also have options in other colors if you don't want another white deck. There's a pretty wide spread of mechanics that are "small dudes that get bigger." For example, white does "make little tokens, then play effects that buff your whole board" best, while green does "play a little guy that slowly gets bigger on its own" type cards.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Procrastinator posted:

isnt the whole point of the storm forcing a fight to take place in a circle though

It should be, like Divine Reckoning, or Porphyry Nodes. Or maybe Grand Melee.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Flavor on point, dayum.

Should also punish reading ahead. I get that it would be too wordy for marginal mechanical impact, but imagine the flavour synergy.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Framboise posted:

Wouldn't that be what the "Spoilers" ability is? It's punishing an opponent for "reading ahead" by scrying/surveiling/searching.

But it doesn't punish using the ability called "read ahead."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Does the first ability really do that much in legacy? Like, it makes brainstorms better, but you already have fetches for that. And it makes scrying worse while you have it out.

Like, if grenzo didn't make waves in legacy, I doubt this will, at least for the first ability. Maybe there's some combo I'm missing.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Strong Sauce posted:

I guess people found the right card to pair with that izzet doctor.

card's spiking at the moment.

So, to go off with this and river song, you need either two of them, or a way to give it haste, plus 6 mana, plus the city's blessing, plus some way to generate value that will actually win the game. I guess the spike makes sense for edh. Edh players love hoops to jump through.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AlternateNu posted:

To be fair, the blessing and eventual value generation are trivial requirements. River + Navigator + 2 mana rocks + 6 lands gets you city's blessing. And infinite turns gives you all the land drops you need to get a generic beater and interaction for the win.

But consider doing this with grenzo instead of river. You don't need to already have the land + wincon in hand, since you still draw non-timestream navigator cards, and you don't need the extra navigator or a haste source, since you can just bury and reflip the navigator on the same turn. And that's still to much work for anyone to have tried it in legacy.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It really depends on what the spell/land do. We've had a fair number of cards that are effectively half land/half spell, and some are bad and some are eternal staples.

e: if the land comes in untapped, it doesn't matter what the spell is, it's probably busted.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 1, 2023

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Why does that play not work with them simply responding to the trigger? Adeline doesn't target; you pick what the token is attacking when the ability resolves.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

rickiep00h posted:

THERE IS ALREADY A FINAL FANTASY CARD GAME THAT IS BOTH POPULAR AND GOOD.

gently caress.

Can't wait for universes beyond: pokemon

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Vandar posted:

I haven't really had an issue with any of the UB stuff, but...I dunno, something about Fallout in Magic is rubbing me the wrong way.

Like none of the stuff other bugs me at all, but for some reason my brain is wanting to draw the line at Fallout of all things.

Not wh40k or transformers?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
IIRC there's a stipulation on universes beyond cards that they're allowed to reprint them, but with all of the IP scrubbed. And, Orcish bowmasters seems like it was intentionally named to be reprintable without having to issue errata. So look forward to that rather than a ban.

Like, if Missy from Dr who became a commander staple and they wanted to reprint it, they'd have to change the name of the card, the type of the card, and the type of the tokens, and then issue rules saying "these pairs of names and types are equivalent" It'd be a huge mess.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Oh, lmao. Looking forward to that. Also I wonder how it's gonna work for digital. Will the license eventually expire, and my gollum avatar becomes just some guy?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Historic has never been a paper format.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I just want vintage parity :colbert:

e:

Weird Pumpkin posted:

sorry yeah, I meant outside of standard that's the format I heard people talk about, not that it was a paper format

Explorer is the closest, kinda I suppose

I mostly hear about hbrawl, which I think is a better use of the card pool. I don't mind an edh game where someone shuffles a set of power into their deck, or does a "seek," or plays a 6-sided transform card. Because I'm not looking for a fine tuned strategic experience, I'm looking to do dumb poo poo.

e2:Also I want them to put ktk swiftspear in arena.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 11, 2023

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

idgi

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

On a similar vein, Robaren Mercenaries have an ability that gives them all activated abilities on Legendary creatures you control.

If you have a Gideon that uses his loyalty ability to become a 5/5 creature that prevents damage to it this turn, don't they then see a legendary creature with a Loyalty based activated ability?

Yes. They can use the + abilities to gain loyalty. Also they don't gain the planeswalker rule that says they die if they have zero loyalty.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

snyprmag posted:

But a creature can still only activate loyalty abilities once per turn, right?

Yes.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The absolute worst basic lands are the LOTR ones lol

This is hobbiton plains and Gandalf w/sheep plains erasure.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
6 trees is a forest.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I like white border lands. It's a good way to make basics readable. The only problem is getting them without and dirt or scuff marks, because that shows real well on white.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

neaden posted:

this mouse is cute but how can it kill a grizzly bear on a fight? Does power and toughness mean nothing anymore?

It would defeat the bear via cheekiness.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Regarding the inherent abilities of being a clue and a food my guess is that it still has those abilities under the hood as well as the custom visible one that does both and they just don't bother to put it onto the card text or show it in the UI. So candy trail technically would have three separate activated abilities only one of which is really relevant. Maybe with full control you could pick one of them if you're facing multiple bowmasters or under some other odd situation.

That's not how the rules work right now. Clue is just an artifact subtype with no special rules.

A clue token is a special kind of token defined in the rules that happens to have the clue subtype.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 23, 2023

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's harder for sure. Drafting rewards knowledge of the card pool but draft guides can help you tune your sense for what a good card is, and there are ways get some practice in that don't require as much money as a real draft.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

HootTheOwl posted:

Why is no one talking about Doctor creatures getting horsemanship?

Horsemanship has been a thing in commander sets. It's not really notable.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The card has an ability that changes how it enters the battlefield. To see how a card enters the battlefield, we kinda "look ahead" and see what its abilities would be if it were already on the battlefield.

e:that is to say, the second one of those options.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The problem with layers is that it's designed to make intuitive interactions work. Like, it would be a lot simpler if it was just replaced with two layers, CDAs, and everything else, but it would be a much weirder game.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a good mnemonic for layer orders

Just remember the simple acronym CFCTTCASSMS

C: Copiable characteristics
F: Face down
C: Control changing effects
T: Text changing effects
T: Type changing effects
C: Color changing effects
A: Ability changing effects
S: Stars (p/t defining abilities)
S: Abilities which Set p/t
M: Abilities which Modify p/t
S: Abilities which Swap power and toughness

And don't forget dependency within layers

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

reignonyourparade posted:

WOE trailer: perfectly fine, though I actually prefer most of the clips they've used in their "intersperse the paper-animation and arena gameplay clips" ads I've seen that a lot of them have larger versions in.

Lier-Adventure interaction: actually how I would've expected things to work so they shouldn't change it on that basis.

The unintuitive part is that Lier works, but Past in Flames doesn't.

e: The issue gets worse because Adventures look more like split cards (which work with both ways to grant flashback), but they function like double faced cards (which work with Lier but not Past).

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Qwertycoatl posted:

What would you change it to? Is it also unreasonable that t3feri's +1 can let you cast an adventure sorcery at instant speed?

Actually, would you even be able to cast a regular instant adventure at instant speed if you had to respect the properties of the main side before casting?