Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Chariot can go ahead and catch an emergency ban on Monday. It's easily the most miserable card in standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Is there any budget friendly/fun modern decks out there that you can show up to FNM and not go 0-4 with?

Our shop is opening up and only doing Modern FNM's for now and as someone who doesn't follow the format is it even worth shelling out $100/$150 just to have something fun to play?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Standard is basically back to being unplayable.

Alrund, Goldspan and Chariot ruin the format. It's was lovely waiting so long for rotation only for the format to just go back to stinking again

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

ilmucche posted:

my dude have you tried notable dead formats modern or legacy?

My local LGS does only modern FNM and I inquired about budget decks a few days ago just to have something to show up and jam if I wanted to join in on that but I didn't dig too deep yet.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

just lol @ every result of all 6 scg satellite events

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

TheNakedJimbo posted:

I have this horrible feeling that WotC is going to go "neither player in the Worlds final was playing Alrund's, so it doesn't deserve a ban :downs: "

(It'll be banned by Tuesday)

The winning deck played it?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I saw 144 new posts and got excited they banned Epiphany

.....gently caress

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

drat, i hardly ever go to any forum other than this one and sa-mart (I have this one bookmarked) but somehow i clicked gbs today and just saw about lowtax...pretty crazy....

looking forward to pre-release tonight though!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Why is Faceless Haven suddenly banned in historic now?

I can't seem play BO1 with it anymore after the most recent update?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Faceless Haven got ALCHEMIZED and is now a 3/3. I guess there will be a new version in your collection? I haven't logged into the client today so can't say for sure.

Apologies for a possible stupid question but isn't Alchemy it's own dedicated format?

Why would it effect Historic legality?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

odiv posted:

:can:

edit: "We" just complained about Alchemy affecting Historic for a bunch of pages.

I mostly skim posts unless it's something I really care about.

lol, this whole time I thought Alchemy was it's own separate format (which is why i ignored it because i wasn't going to play a format with rebalanced cards) so I was under the assumption it was a brand new arena only format that had it's own card pools with said rebalanced cards.

i totally glossed over that it was part of historic vs it's own dedicated format. i thought you could play historic with alchemy balances or play regular historic as it's been forever. so dumb

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Elyv posted:

I think Alchemy is its own format but any card modified for one is also modified for the other

yeah, i am on board now. granted my stupid bo1 deck isn't that ruined because of faceless haven but i was just like wtf.....rip to anyones decks who got screwed over, I can see why people would be mad all of a sudden

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Been playing MTGO EDH because it's cheap and you can build a powerful deck for 5 tickets and it's wild seeing all these cards you didn't know exist.

Just played someone using the Cipher mechanic, had no clue it was even a thing. Seems like something they should bring back

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Someone asked earlier about the budget modern league I’m running (decks had to be modern legal and under $100)

Meta breakdown is like so:

Budget league meta game breakdown:
Izzet: 5
Abzan: 4
Boros: 1
Red: 2
Azorius: 1
Naya: 1
Sultai: 1
Green: 1
Gruul: 1
Selesnya: 1
Orzhov: 2
Rakdos: 1
4color pile: 1

3 archetypes in izzet
2 archetypes in abzan
2 archetypes in orzhov

this sounds like it would be a blast to play in. this is my kind of jam

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

So many historic bans need to happen tomorrow

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Going into my Kenrith Gates/Shrines deck

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Where are the rest of the shrine cards!?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Whipped rear end this afternoon at prerelease.

Easy 3-0 with my promo card being Wandering Emperor. Played Orzhov removal with a few creatures. Best showing I ever had for a limited event

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Welp, Standard is going to need to have bans again.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

What is the argument against dusting?

I have over 1000 common WC's and like 847 uncommon WC'S that will never get redeemed for actual cards

At a 100:1 ratio I'd gladly cash in 900 common WC's for 9 rare WC's because even at 100 common WC's left over I'll still never use them.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

flatluigi posted:

dusting is extremely short term gains for long term loss - you might be able to make one deck marginally quicker but you're sacrificing all progress to make any other decks. if that first deck isn't good, or falls out of the meta, or rotates you're stuck with it until you rebuild the rest of your collection from scratch.

if you're a game that supports multiple formats as well, dusting massively drops the playerbase of nonprimary. formats - especially extended formats. people are incentivized to dust the cards that rotate out, and now it's much harder for them to ever get into those other formats.

also if you're rolling in c/uc wildcards: when a new set comes out, use those wildcards on cards in the set before you open any packs. boom, you've converted the wildcards into vault progress towards getting rare/mythic wildcards at about the effective rate you would if you were dusting them

Is there a way to effectively do this with some kind of import? I can't imagine sitting there auto clicking each common/uncommon 4x to cash in WC's

I guess you could some how create a deck based around this and hit craft all? Why am I even typing this instead of looking at YouTube lol

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

resistentialism posted:

You can click the 4th pip to do 4 copies at once, but that's it.

Found a better way

https://github.com/LukeCroteau/mtg_arena_wildcard_files/tree/main/Sets

So yeah, you can copy and paste directly as an imported decklist with each common/uncommon at 4x and just craft all. loving sweet

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

fadam posted:

Asking as a man who wears basketball shorts and t-shirts exclusively, what's the deal with the miniskirt thing Ob Nixilis has on here lol

are you gino from 90 day fiance?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Neon Dynasty was cool and fun but this upcoming set looks like a stinker

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Sickening posted:

Jund getting so much love this set.

This will be a pre-release promo

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Baldur's Gate leaks all over the MTGrumor subreddit. The guy who leaked them appears to be quite the character, apparently he already got into legal trouble with WotC for leaking cards before, thought making a new TikTok Account will "get them off his trail for a while" and openly admitted that his plan is/was to "sell" these boosters to people without actually shipping them. A bunch of people actually sent him money and he just flat out said they're SOL because he has a new account now lmao. I'm sure there's a better write-up somewhere on that sub.

Gallery with like 45 cards.

New Gates FTMFW!

Hopefully there are actual Gate matters card vs being just a land cycle

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Had a easy 3-0 with Bant.

The 3cmc make 2 fishes is such a gas card. I had 2 with my promo being the bant enchantment that makes everything get counters EOT. Also ripped an Elspeth, Endless Detour and the 7 mana Terastadon which I never actually got to cast. It felt like I was cheating all night.

Slapping the WUG double striker with the enchantment where if it attacks alone and deals damages you connive was my favorite play of the night to make in games

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Seeing the early access streams alone, man, Ob is going to be the new Oko and get (rightfully) banned in every format

"After the second person called Ob Nixilis "the next Oko" with implication that a card needed to be banned after watching half a game with it, I ended up throwing chat in sub only mode today.

Take a deep breath, stow the hot take, and enjoy exploring a new format."

Jeff Hoogland

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Totally need to see the spoiler of the "gates matter" commander they talked about on the stream

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

That's trash if that is the one they meant. It needs to be 5C

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Just saw this posted on Youtube (don't judge me Pawn Stars is my guilty pleasure)

So, this guy bought in a shitload of test cards from Pre-Alpha? They were valued at $400 a piece (27 total) for $10,800. Is that about right or is that an extreme low ball price?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6_82R2Zto

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I'm not surprised by Rick's offer to the guy since doesn't know poo poo about the game I was more curious about the guy who appraised them at $400 since he owns a card shop I would have assumed he would have known what he was seeing.

Well, it's also a scripted TV show so yeah. That just seemed like a crazy appraisal to me

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

fadam posted:

I heard from the people here that Pauper kind of has the Modern problem where if you’re just messing around in leagues or at FNM it’s a blast but at serious tables everyone is just on Affinity because it’s a lot better than the other decks.

Pauper EDH is also all kinds of fun. We tried it on a whim last week and my whole friend group loved it. I built 3 decks this week, haha!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Jesus Christ standard is loving miserable. It gets worse with literally every set lol

It's fun and good, sorry you're bad at it

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I feel like Arena killed standard most of all.

Plus, with Standard and so many people having early access and also having so many streamers eyes on it that it gets solved rather quickly. After like a month of the new sets release the format is solved and becomes unplayable rather quickly

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Love paying 30 for prerelease and my promo is the unplayable 10 mana cyclonic rift/timestop

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Going to be the idiot here. What am I missing? Felton can't block per the card so how does the guy "block everything on Feldon"

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Oh duh, I misread thinking HE had the Feldon and made a block with him.

Derp

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

precision posted:

I didn't say I have a bad time, I literally don't understand the format. I don't understand the "winning doesn't matter, let's just have fun" aspect. What I mean is, if you're wanting to have fun, why do it with rules?

I love two headed giant, I love archenemy, I love the idea of multiplayer magic. What I don't get is that apparently people don't play Commander as an actual competitive match. If you're non competitive and your whole thing is "I want to show off my personality"... again, why not just make up all your cards??

I felt this way then I started playing Pauper EDH and it's easily my favorite format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

Desolator Magic is the only source you need.

BadBoyMTG