Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Selfmill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

fadam posted:

Wasn’t this confirmed? For some reason I thought I knew that was the couple.

The bride was, the groom wasn't, although it was the most obvious answer especially given the lore of Fateful Absence

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The Arena ladder sucks so loving much. You'd think that Mythic people would be loving around with new stuff but it's still 99% White aggro and turns just like the rest of the ladder!

Mythic people are the people I would least expect to be loving around with new stuff though?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

kalel posted:

monke, doge, catte, ratte, frogge

take any animal name + add an "e" to the end = internet cute speak. welcome to the internet, be safe out there

monke isn't actually internet cute speak though, it's internet caveman speak

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

I guess I'm not understanding what's so bad about alchemy. I get that the rebalanced cards are in historic but... why is that bad? Historic was already getting the digital format treatment. There were already a bunch of hearthstone-esque cards. Is it just the bigger influx of them that people are frustrated with? Or what

Broadly, speaking it sounds like "Historic is the high power format so when you rebalance a card too strong for standard the result is often a card too weak for historic" "historic was actually in a good place re: balance and this ruins that" and "historic is the only Eternal Format on arena and now it isn't in fact eternal."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

weird perverts with bad eyesight who can't see Olivia is holding her dress with her hand think she's pitching a massive tent

In the original version of the art she wasn't holding on to the dress at all, that was a revision that was clearly made when they went "whoop switching to having both legs coming out the bottom without removing the knee holding up her dress made it look like she has a massive erect penis"

Even with the revision her hand looks more like its resting on something under the dress than holding anything up.

Edit: looking again I misremembered the details of the original art, I still hold to the "clearly a revision" but the edit we ourselves actually have access to is a different edit.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 14, 2021

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Dungeons were/are okay if you focused on the "if you've completed a dungeon" cards instead of planning your primary value being from the dungeon itself.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

The new ninja PW guy (who is connected to the Emperor and has been searching for her across planes) and Tamiyo get involved, start trying to figure things out what's happening. The Wanderer comes back, tries to use the Reality Chip to stabilize her spark but that also allows Tezzeret to hurt her. Tamiyo and the new guy almost get captured by the Phyrexians but the Wanderer breaks them out. Tamiyo uses the Reality Chip to control a mech, there's a big fight where the empire fights off the rebels at the expense of the Wanderer's spark destabilizing again. The good guys capture Tezzeret but surprise he uses the Reality Chip to turn the tables and kidnap Tamiyo - she's really who they wanted all along, everything else was just a ploy to draw her back to Kamigawa.

Pretty sure it's just the case that what they want is Any Planeswalker At All and Tamiyo is just the one who happened to be interfaced with the reality chip at that point.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

The whole "attack alone" thing is pretty horrible outside of Limited, right? I can't really envision a Standard deck built around that working out, much less the evergreen formats.

Depends on how many payoffs there are, probably. If you pack every single "when x attacks alone" into the same deck, maybe it's good, maybe it's not.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

Man, did they need to make this "dies" and not "leaves the battlefield"? That hurts this so much for commander.

Neat card though.

They changed that rule, death triggers happen and THEN you move it to the command zone.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I've got no opinions on this exact ban or lack of ban but their reasoning basically being "the rules committee's target audience is people who don't need a rules committee in the first place" is kinda dumb.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Went 2-1 in prerelease in what was actually my person in person play ever. In theory it was a mediocre blue-red artifacts deck and that honestly worked well enough to stall for more draws but all my wins were more from functionally acting like a red modified deck with thundering raiju and or functionally being a blue flyers/vehicles/flying vehicles deck, depending on the exact draws.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Seems like the archtype is SUPPOSED to be "iunno graveyard recursion" but from the only good GB draft deck i've played against you're better off with "Green ramp into the black side of one of the other black archtypes."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mark Rosewater posted:

My biggest takeaway from this answer is that I learned Goblin Sharks are a thing. Hmm . . .

Who's ready for "Goblin Shark: Creature - Goblin Shark" in a couple years.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

Wait, I thought Elspeth was from Theros?
Curse you wizards, for trying to make my think about your story.

Theros was basically her home as in "the place that she lives" but it wasn't where she was FROM.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sega 32X posted:

Just lol if they print another commander set without dockside

I would think that they would put it and the commander lotus in every commander set but I don't understand *the metrics* or whatever on how to sell to their casual crowd to keep them from just printing a million proxies.

Supposedly the commander rules committee has a list of cards they've asked WotC not to reprint as a "soft-ban" because they don't want to actually ban things but also have cards they don't want people to play, so they just ask WotC to keep them extremely expensive instead as a worst of both world.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_DVLEN6yN0&t=567s

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

big cummers ONLY posted:

Anyway that's my report as a Weird Broken Consumer. I engage with products in weird, uncommon, and insane ways and I've just kind of accepted it about myself.

TBH I'm pretty sure you actually engage with this product specifically in basically the normal way and the super engaged people who exclusively buy singles are, in the grand scheme of things at least, the weirdos. Maro's endless refrain is always "the most popular format is kitchen table Cards I Own."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

A chaos orb you can't even tear?

YOU can't tear it maybe :v:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I know it's a troll post, and I know it's not the point, but how would one even do arbitrage in MTG these days? Everyone with a smartphone has access to countless stores across the country/world and up to the minute pricing on whatever card they want. Unless interstate commerce laws get really strict all of a sudden, there's no way to keep collectables in one area and not another...

The answer is "it's mostly not worth the effort to do if you're not dedicated to it (and it's also mostly not worth it to do if you ARE dedicated to it either)" so if a good opportunity for one person personally DOES arise there can be some money other people were leaving on the table. Basically the big thing is "buy commander cards in europe and sell them in the US if you've already got a business trip or something going on." Not really worth it if shipping costs get brought in, but ARE worth it if you're piggybacking off a flight you already would've been taking anyway.

That would basically never apply within the US though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Personally I actually think Kamigawa didn't NEED a second set the way Capenna did. Maybe it would've been a "nice to have" but importantly it was a case where basically the were able to present "thesis/antithesis" in a single set already in the form of "green enchantments/spirituality/tradition" vs "red artifacts/technology/modernity" and also the story was like, 90% personal and the status quo was ultimately maintained. Kamigawa after Neon Dynasty is Kamigawa BEFORE Neon Dynasty except the government is a little bit more stable and the seriously pro technology people are licking their wounds.

New Capenna on the other hand absolutely needed a set of "holy poo poo the angels are back."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Also it's like five seconds and some of these reactions to those five seconds are loving insane

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

kalel posted:

not for a long time

I understand the appeal to newcomers and casuals, and I did legitimately enjoy it at first, but as time went on the warts became impossible to ignore. the single player 4-of constructed formats have more interesting gameplay loops in my opinion

I'm a relative newcomer and casual and tbh I don't understand what the appeal is supposed to be for a newcomer. An Enfranchised casual player, yeah it makes perfect sense to me, "finally a home for all these otherwise unplayable leftovers that I already have lying around."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
60 card constructed "cards i own" is better at that than commander.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

odiv posted:

Who plays that though? If you show up at an lgs, people aren't going to have decks sleeved up.

It's the most popular format by far actually, basically every time people from WotC talk about their internal data that hasn't changed. Just... mostly played by people who don't go to LGSes.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, but ward discard a card. Or pay 3 life.
Does protection have counters? I feel like it would be the same

They can make ward counters for the most common forms of ward that make intuitive sense without making ward counters for every type of ward, IF it is ward.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

A Moose posted:

It seems kinda niche, like, the biggest creature it can kill is a 3/2 or 4/1, but how many of those are there that push doesn't kill? I feel like Strangle does most of the same job

There are plenty of higher costed creatures with nice abilities at the cost of having a smaller body. This hits those.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ChaosReaper posted:

Well got talked into going to a 2HG prerelease tonight. I haven't looked at this set or played any magic outside of commander in like two years. I'm sure it'll go well. Anyone have any like super simple tips or easy deck ideas to look out for.

The domain deck (all five basic land types, there are a bunch of tapped dual lands with both so it's doable) is nice because there's a bunch of off color kicker costs in this set as well and going for domain means whoops you can basically always cast those kicker costs no matter what your base colors are. Assuming it's sealed.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Peteyfoot posted:

Would picking up the four 2022 Challenger Decks be a good starting point for casual fun kitchen table Magic with a friend? I've only played Hearthstone and they have never touched a TCG before but love games with lots of rules, for context.

Honestly I think the REALLY good thing for casual kitchen table fun would be getting a box of jumpstart. Basically the same price as all four challenger decks since that's what you're talking about, way more variety and with trivial effort you can stick the individual components into envelops or something afterward to be able to randomly pick them again.

Basically jumpstart is this whole thing where you basically grab two halves of themed decks and smash them together and end up with stuff like, Goblin Angels vs Dog Vampires. A whole box gets you like 24 of the individual packs, that's a whole lot of variety.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Even if he were a regular dude running around he wouldn't even be the only one.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I know it's a common r/custommagic solution to Changeling Problems though for r/custommagic the go to creature type is usually coward. Brushwagg is a funnier word though and this IS an unset.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The transformers thing specifically really smells of mandate from higher up on the hasbro chain more than "thinks its too weak on its own".

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If stickers were going to get banned in legacy i think they just would've made them not legacy legal in the first place, so probably not.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Ban invoke despair and graveyard trespasser in standard por favor

Graveyard trespasser getting taken out makes underdog even better, IIRC those are the most played black cards but if you're gonna ban one of the two i think it's gotta be underdog.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Roadie posted:

I was actually pretty underwhelmed by it in a draft, but I suspect that's because the overriding focus on stickers and Attractions interested me way less than the grab-bag random goofy things from previous Un-sets. It felt like stuff like Urza's Contact Lenses, Rules Lawyer, Duh, Ambiguity, or "Ach! Hans, Run!" was really lacking.

kalel posted:

yeah same. I wonder if there was an eternal legal mandate from the beginning that constrained the design team. but also, there's only so many non-annoying munchkin card ideas they could use before it starts to get repetitive

I'm pretty sure they basically said a lot of the past unset grab bag goofy things had a problem where they were funny once which was terrible for replayability.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Not in any way whatsoever

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Liesa's got some 'splainin' to do

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

bullshit, I'm sure there is at least 1% who just make decks and then never play them and just complain online

Let's not forget the ones who don't even make the decks in the first place!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Jace specifically looks to have Luxior that he's pulling out of his chest which is really specific imagery for if it's something that doesn't happen, and the sword from the March of the Machine symbol specifically has elements from Godsend, so I'm calling that that's an actual specific story moment and Jace really is one of the ones getting compleated, (but we won't be rid of him because they're uncompleating at least some of them after MotM)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think it would've owned if all the loving angels cards in the "wow the angels are gone from this plane what's up with that" had been in an aftermath set instead of mixed into the set combined with a story that did a really bad job of explain "angels are back now", actually, so I think "X: aftermath" is a great move.