Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone considering playing two headed giant: I would urge you to open 2x meathook massacres to win the game on the spot repeatedly.

Also learn the interaction for daybound/nightbound in 2hg

(It’s neither play can cast spells to make it night, but one player is to cast two spells for it to become day)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Magic: The Gathering: If Two Players Cast No Spells, It Becomes Night

Wizards isn’t made an official ruling on it but I ran it up the flagpole with the local L3

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Love that shirt

guy has definitely been shopping at Dan Flashes

LifeLynx posted:

I'm getting a playmat of the day art and a playmat of the night art and switching it mid-game.

A friend of mine got a double sided delver of secrets playmat and would flip the mat whenever delver flipped

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Dehtraen posted:

For the latest set full art lands - where the art is black and white and there is a colored border… about half of the basics I have have this colored border as matte, the other half is shiny… are there two versions or is it just inconsistent printing?

two versions i think

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just picked up what I believe was a very cheap MH2 bundle box at a games expo (£36 I think) just as a little treat. Naturally I open Kaldra Compleat, the main big-ticket card from the set that I had already bought as a single.

But how does rarity distribution work for the set? I opened a pack with two rares, neither are foil or alt art as far as I know. Another had one rare and four uncommon, I think one of those might have been the sketch version

Bundles are set boosters instead of draft boosters now right?

So they usually have 1-3 rares and a weird common/uncommon distribution

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

MH2 were draft boosters, Midnight Hunt has set boosters.

MH2 has a rare/mythic slot and a possible extra rare/mythic that's a reprint that is "new to modern" What are the two rares you got in the pack?

Jesus Christ this poo poo is tough to keep track of

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The Against the Odds Stickyfingers deck is pretty sweet this week.

I won multiple pre-release games by casting angelfire ignition on old stickfingers.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

you play some 4 color deck during pre-release?

No it was full 5c all the rares. I had 3 path to the festival and played every rare, but angelfire ignition was unstoppable and I had an opponent scoop when I used rootcoil creeper to bring back angelfire ignition for casts 3 and 4.

Glad I played it because I would normally slam an average 2C deck.

A+ on angelfire ignition being an absolute unstoppable bomb in limited.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
has anyone been watching worlds?

is it good?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's fine so far. Lots of non games in limited due to mana issues and mulls. AliasV still sucks as commentary. Interesting how the limited meta was pretty different than what you'd see on arena ladder. Also as mentioned the round 5 match of spasky vs sperling was really good.

I do love Strasky, he's a genuinely very nice person who was willing to join the spirits facebook page and discuss the addition of aether vial to bant back when he was winning GP's with it.

I still put my arena vote on yellow hat though

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Still angry that the thread title isn't "Don't proxen that moxen"

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FWIW I am gathering stuff to put some other decks together. I’m not pinning my hopes and dreams on fish I just like them lol

Hell yeah, play those fish friend!

sincerely, the spirits player

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
“New legendary creature card that combines two previous characters that each had their own legendary creature card”

It’s thalia, chosen of st traft

Lmao or “Edgar and Olivia’s honeymoon cruise”

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 26, 2021

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Why did no one post this when it came out? epic marketing spend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJlfmLjPgxk

Was actually coming to post this right now lmao

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AngryBooch posted:

Worse at blocking but harder to actually kill

dredge playable?

Edit: Nevermind I'm dumb, it's exile and return, not return from graveyard adurf

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 4, 2021

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Thinking about selling a bunch of cards at a modern event this month (assuming I Scrub out of the event)

Which means it might finally be time to sell out of legacy infect (because the deck is just loving stone unplayable, and my tropical islands that I got for $100 CDN each are now like ten times that much lmao)

Maybe I'll try to move stuff on here or some facebook pages first.

Probably the right call seeing as the partner and I are trying to buy a house in the next 6 months

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Seems like it's in the same place it's been for years: playable creatures are almost excessively the ones that do something on ETB or at all times. Playing removal that actually removes has always been better.

Exploit coming back definitely makes it worse

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DangerDongs posted:

Proud of ya babe.

The finals in sealed tournaments if both players don't get mana screwed/flooded, are usually really fun grindfests..
But man, opening a bad seal pool is just the absolute worst, because you know your next couple of hours are probably going to be pretty subpar, but you should at least give it a go.

Then you wish you didn't give a go or left the house that day.

I’m halfway to going 0-2 drop with an absolutely RANCID pool, ama

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Really growing to hate the free pitch elementals, there should be a risk to tapping out lmao. Also elementals and ephemerate make for some rancid feels in certain games.

If anyone was looking for a cheap standard deck to dropkick best of one, here’s a good one.

(I was playing uw magecraft delver before VOW came out)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played two opens this weekend for 14 rounds of modern with the my usual dumb bullshit of bant spirits.

Lost a win and in for prizing day one and lost a win and in for top 8 round 2.

Deck felt perfectly cromulent. There was lots of uw control which is good for the deck.

Paper magic felt insanely good to play.

A lot of people don’t know exactly how spirits cards cards work lmao. I think I ended up on 7/14 opponents making misplays to onboard tricks.

Matchups I played against:

- 4c money pile (1-1-1 draw lmao)
- uw control (2-0 W)
- rakdos/mardu Lurrus (2-1 W against mardu 1-2 squeaker loss against rakdos)
- izzet murktide (2-0 win and 1-2 loss where I got EMBARASSINGLY CAUGHT OFF GUARD by a blood moon)
- izzet prowess (1-2 loss where drawing any creature or coco for 3 turns would have resulted in a win)
- yawgmoth (1-2 loss where g3 my deck refused to draw a land, 2-1 win)
- 5c snow control (2-0 win)
- dimir mill (2-1 win)
- jeskai murktide (2-1 win)
- burn (2-0 win)
- Esper reanimator (aspiring spike list) (1-2 loss, I kept my opponent off balance but couldn’t close g3)

Other decks I saw:
- hammer
- affinity
- grixis deaths shadow
- elementals
- belcher
- some kind of u/w professor of symbology deck (???????)
- enchantress
- fully foiled out martyr proc (I fear this person on a deep and fundamental level)
- mono red obosh
- twiddle storm
- rhinos (both kinds)
- jund sagavan and zoomer jund (no boomer jund)
- amulet titan (with that new VOW card cultivator colossus)
- eldrazi tron
- regular tron

I saw zero creativity decks, and I wish I'd seen someone playing that grixis zombies list they did a deck tech on in vegas.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I have not thought about that card since AER, I'll be honest.

It just won a modern showcase

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Paul Zuvella posted:

At that point you’re holding up 8 mana. That’s turn, what, 13 in modern?. The games long over at that point.

Cultivator colossus is pretty cool and good in amulet and it lets you "storm off" randomly which is pretty neat.

Hullbreaker horror could see outside play in esper reanimator as a reanimation target that survives unholy heat and also has a bunch of additional text.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's a potential turn 2 kill that can hold up interaction, I don't think there's any value in unbanning it

KCI, on the other hand,

Please unban KCI so that spirits can be a tier one deck again.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

I was going to ask if you really think someone is going to sneak an un-card into a tournament, but I remembered that I once judged a standard tournament - either provincials or regionals, so not a causal tourney - where someone was playing an illegal card that nobody noticed until round 6 or so.

(It was Stronghold Assassin which was in 7th edition but had rotated out by that point.)

About 5 years ago a friend of mine called a judge at round 6 of GP Vancouver (modern) because their infect opponent had cast a nev's disk in game 3. (before it was modern legal)

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 29, 2021

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I hated that matchup so much but it is a price I am willing to pay

Bless up

mcmagic posted:

Spirits is pretty good against Hammer...

I think the hammer matchup is just okay, but it can definitely get there. It has an AMAZING belcher matchup though.

HootTheOwl posted:

Can spirits handle solitude or fury?
And is still a vial deck?

mcmagic posted:

No and Vial isn't a playable card.

It can, but your extremely good matchups got a LOT less free (control, etc) and sometimes you just get absolutely SHITHOUSED by ephemerate (as do all fair decks)
the issue with spirits in the current meta is that it's trying to do fair stuff in modern. Now that I've had a bit more experience playing against solitude and fury, I dislike them a lot less than I used to (but I still hate them with ephemerate)

The deck feels better in paper, where people are going to misplay into your onboard tricks loving constantly. Being hyper aware of the pitch elementals means that they're easier to play around, and you should just assume that whenever control taps out they have solitude and a card to pitch to it as well. Which did let me aether vial in an unsettled mariner after my opponent tried to solitude my queller while tapped out.

I will agree that Aether vial is not in a good place right now, and is a rancid top deck. Spirit surgeon Doctor Queller has been testing lists with 4x Utopia sprawl instead of aether vial and is consistently 5-0'ing (although I am pretty confident that the doctor could 5-0 with 56 islands and 4x mausoleum wanderer)

tl'dr: spirits barely tier 2, will I scrape together a bunch of X-2's at opens with it somehow? still yes

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 29, 2021

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I have waterlogged grove in the deck for card draw already so there’s three colors available already…

Remember that a white splash also lets you play unsettled mariner

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

found out the guy who won my store's championship event (crimson vow sealed) also won the other LGS championship event (modern horizons 2 draft)... one was a premiere WPN shop so he got the store's personalized wurmcoil. pretty sick

one of my local stores did mh2 draft for store championship and they for some reason made a pod of 8 and a pod of 6 with crosspod play followed by a cut to top 8 with the same draft decks. so I left.

Other stores champs is this weekend and is modern.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Top 4'd the local store champs with Modern Affinity in TYOOL 2021 lmao.

Got 4 foil collected company as well so now I can rotate them, with my OG foils. received them extremely loving pringled though. Thanks Wizards

This experience was much better than the other local stores championship which was MH2 draft, one pod of 6 and one pod of 8 with cross pod play. that was rancid.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hey if anyones interested i just got interviewed for an mtg podcast about spirits and the best cards for spirits in 2021, link is here: https://youtu.be/yIOCw9BTnAo

Please excuse my poorly lit office!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Dr Queller, is that you?

I wish. dr queller is significantly better at playing spirits than I am.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Running a budget modern league in my city right now, which means that every deck has to be both modern legal, and costless than $100 according to mtggoldfish.

So far there's a lot of innovation, and me playing a meme deck

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DangerDongs posted:

How good is burn?

Good but not as good as you think because it’s priced into mono red (if you want to keep eidolon in the budget), and nobody has shocks and fetches or thoughtseizes.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Post the meme deck

:getin: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4495592#paper

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
After some testing I can say that Cemetery Illuminator is an extremely good card, and I am playing it in Modern right now and that's wild.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

kalel posted:

could you "illuminate" the thread with a deck list?

Sure but it's no drastic changes from my usual bullshit

Creature (32)
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Rattlechains
4 Skyclave Apparition
2 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
2 Spectral Adversary
1 Cemetery Illuminator

Instant (4)
4 Collected Company

Artifact (3)
3 Aether Vial

Land (21)
2 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
2 Cavern of Souls
2 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
1 Temple Garden
2 Windswept Heath
1 Waterlogged Grove
60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
2 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Kataki, wars wage
1 Rest in Peace
1 Collector Ouphe
2 Sanctifier En Vec
2 Damping Sphere
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Teferi, Time Raveler
1 Aven mindcensor
1 Kira, Great Glass Spinner

Main changes +1 rattlechains, kira moved to side, +2 adversary, +1 illuminator. Light sideboard changes.

Strong consideration on moving up to 3 caverns, but currently staying with 2 and 2 hallowed fountains because of the sanctifiers in the board.

Things spectral adversary did today:
- phased out opponents solitude twice, once to save 3 life, once to stifle an ephemerate
- phased out two drogskol captains during an opponents boardwipe so I could swing for 6 after
- phased out an emrakul

Things cemetery illuminator did today:
- vial'd in to remove opponents delirium
- assorted incidental graveyard hate
- cast 2 collected company's from the top of the deck against 4c money pile
- enabled a few creature casts off the top.
- also looking at the top of your library is fun when you have a fetch.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 9, 2022

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

Fun thing I learned about Cemetary Illuminator from a draft on Arena: Because the ability doesn't target, you're allowed to look at the top card of your deck before deciding what card to exile off the ETB ability.

holy poo poo

Paul Zuvella posted:

The 5 people who still think spirits is a playable deck are playing it

*there are DOZENS of us gif*

I know the deck is unplayable garbage, but i'm too busy huffing sunk-cost fallacy to care

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 9, 2022

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mandatory lesbian posted:

People talk about things killing magic but this would actually kill magic

RIP magic

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Someone asked earlier about the budget modern league I’m running (decks had to be modern legal and under $100)

Meta breakdown is like so:

Budget league meta game breakdown:
Izzet: 5
Abzan: 4
Boros: 1
Red: 2
Azorius: 1
Naya: 1
Sultai: 1
Green: 1
Gruul: 1
Selesnya: 1
Orzhov: 2
Rakdos: 1
4color pile: 1

3 archetypes in izzet
2 archetypes in abzan
2 archetypes in orzhov

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

this sounds like it would be a blast to play in. this is my kind of jam

Yeah the meta is pretty varied here, I was going to save the meta breakdown for later, but nobody who posts on this dead forum are playing in my paper league in Canada, so here goes:

Izzet:
2 delver
2 storm
1 swans

Abzan:
3 rites reanimator
1 BUTTS

Boros:
1 prison deck (goblin bombardment, 9 lives, humility, also vizier, finks, redcap combo and greater gargadon)

Red:
1 Goblins (12 whack)
1 burn

Azorius:
1 hard control/gideon tribal

Naya:
1 enchantress

Sultai:
1 Snow tribal

Green:
1 elves/scurry oak combo

Gruul:
1 Ponza

Selesnya:
1 Selesnya beatdown/hatebears-esque

Orzhov:
1 rally the ancestors/aristocrats
1 bogles

Rakdos:
1 goblins (but rakdos)

4color pile:
i don't actually know what this deck does so I've just attached a picture of the decklist

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's a deck that uses Squee, Goblin Nabob and Master of Death as basically free discards for zombie infestation and a few other things to drain opponents with faith of the devoted triggers.

It's a full Golgari deck that only gets called 4-color because Squee and Master are red and blue; the deck contains no sources of red or blue mana at all.

Honestly, sick. Too bad it’s gotta get swans’d sometime during the tournament

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

YggdrasilTM posted:

Cutting 3-400$ from 1600$ decks, while an improvement, doesn't make them "budget" decks.

It might make elves playable though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

kalel posted:

cool fan art

That’s from the mothership, it’s official art