Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want to buy a box of the new set as a gift.

I know you never come out ahead on these things, that's fine. I'm assuming Set is better than Draft for something like that right? That's the one with more chances for cool stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does the phrasing mean you could choose to only count Oozes if you want to?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The etched foils don't stand out very much either.

I got an etched Imperial Seal and didn't realize it at first.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LeafHouse posted:

I don’t understand how this could be possible. They look completely different from every other foil.

They look very different from other foils, but the etched effect is so minor they don't stand out much from the regular cards. With the Seal in particular, unless you angle it in the light it just looks like the normal one with darker text boxes.

I mean yeah, considering I was opening a collector's pack I should have realized I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

if you know someone going to the 30th anniversary celebration apparently they're selling it for ~$39.99
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/lil-giri-saves-day-magic-30

The virtual ticket says it gives access to buying the exclusive merch, that could be included maybe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They probably don’t want to lose the delayed Secret Lair deck going the credit card route.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

even wizards can't be dumb enough to make a one man's walker

If it's real, If you played her for 1 she has 0 loyalty counters and dies so you have to pay at least one of the Phyrexian mana normally.

Obviously other effects can make her playable for 1 but those wouldn't be on the board at the beginning of a game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Why bother putting two p mana if it kills her. The person who made this really didnt think it thru imo

2P would make it playable for colorless so I guess there's some sense to it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The tcgplayer app won't scan black cards for me.

That's not even a joke, it literally fails to recognize them every time. I have an iPhone 12 Pro so it shouldn't be a camera issue either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just want the Infinity Gauntlet Arcane Signet.

HootTheOwl posted:

I'll confess I didn't read much magic lore when he was important but: Was Karn always this dumb?

He's made out of silver, not einsteinium.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Put that money in another 3 set releases per year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Depopulate has New Capenna being totally destroyed, but it's non canon or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

whiggles posted:

It might be more that they hate only existing in your head as a miserable pile of assumptions instead of as an actual person with their own unique quirks, experiences, and self concept.

Probably still miserable though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Chain Veil is in Ravnica. They used it to fake her death.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fadam posted:

Idk what the veil is but I’ll be really surprised if we get Hero of Dominaria in Standard again. LotV is powerful but HoD coincided with a lot of people playing Magic for the first time and it drove a lot of zoomers insane.

The 'of the Veil' in that card's name is the Chain Veil. it's your typical fantasy 'makes you powerful but it's cursed' object. She doesn't have it anymore. The art as you can see seems to be suggesting she's getting it back though.

The Chain Veil card lets you do another round of planeswalker loyalty abilities on your turn.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

August superdrop is Monday.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best note is

quote:

XLVIII is forty-eight

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It seems like these Commander decks are going to have like 6 half-assed mechanics each instead of anything cohesive.

There's the Desert landfall, Assassins (with only 2 assassins), Equipment, Legendary Matters, Kobolds and Dragons, Archers, vanilla creatures etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They couldn't even let the artifact Karn makes come in untapped?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Algid posted:

Powerstones are a new token type, it's on other cards too and they come in tapped by default.

Yeah but the release notes specifically say coming in tapped is just a feature of the cards that happen to make them this set, and not the token itself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For me it’s good old fashioned spite I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's okay to dislike a card archetype like 3 cost mana rocks without being a stereotype and portraying them as the death of the game for new players.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arivia posted:

Is this in some of the art they showed or something? Idk, I'm not a huge LotR fan but that seems fine to me?

They posted a huge piece that will end up being split into the art of like 16 cards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://www.cbr.com/magic-the-gathering-lotr-tales-of-middle-earth-set-wizards-presents/

It's in the little 4 image gallery there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I shop in googley eyes on any cards I print.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It works like an ORing. Doesn't affect anything that enters the battlefield after it does.

Until you blink it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

That would be a new instance of it entering the field.

Right, but unlike Oblivion Ring it will recapture what it's already holding, and also scoop up any new ones.

Your opponent will get ETB triggers but that's probably manageable on 2 CMC stuff.

Sickening posted:

Didn’t the mod just say to not do this lmao.

You are exactly the kind of turbo aggressive weirdo that can’t be trusted to have this discussion.

Nah Kettle is colorless, I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Notably that card isn't in the Legends matter precon even though it has the right colors, because...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

Knowing selling a counterfeit as real to another person is breaking criminal laws.

So is buying them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

Incorrect. (Not in the us, not in my state, etc)

It's illegal federally to knowingly import counterfeit goods.

It's okay to just say you don't want to spend money. This other nonsense really isn't necessary. Saving money is universal.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 23, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The legal if it’s for personal use exemption only applies on stuff you personally carry with you and declare upon return to the US. Not mail. It’s also limited to a single item of a given category every 30 days.

Will it ever be enforced? No. At worst the post office will seize them and leave you alone. But when we’re making up fake justifications they may as well be correct.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can do some real fun stuff with Helm of the Host on this one to give a copy haste.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JOHN CENA posted:

i have not played magic in years but i am sad that the phyrexians have taken the weatherlight :(

They didn't even take it themselves.

The moron crew stuck a bunch of Phyrexian parts on it that mutated and took it over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait, why would buying the old ones are their pre-reprint prices be a good idea?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh right, duh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So I'm not sure that "activate their loyalty abilities twice this turn" really captures what happened here, is what I'm saying.

That’s the same thing the Chain Veil does, which also made a planeswalker turn evil(er). Ergo…

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Being a ticketed event makes sense since Magic 30 has some panels, but the price is pretty high considering the small number of them and lack of any other programming.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have been to... 7? nerd conventions since I resumed travelling with covid in November, and I'm doing 2 more before the end of this year.

Magic 30 would fall on the high side for a 3 day con, though not the highest. It has less than 10% of the programming of any of those others though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

the more text on a card the less appealing it is to a new player

probably not no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

While a card that "does things" is probably obviously better than a card that doesn't to a new player, I don't think it's hard to imagine walls of text being a bit intimidating to someone unfamiliar with the game. I've played several CCGs over the years and when you're first learning them there's definitely some squinty moments when you're trying to parse what a card actually does.

People getting into Magic in 2022 are doing it because it's a crazy game full of weird quirky poo poo.