Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tann posted:

You got them all, congrats on the unfair streak!

I haven't quite figured out what to do with achievements; I like each achievement unlocking "something", plus I like random achievements that notice a cool thing that happened rather than something to try for. I want to add more weird secret achievements that unlock something stupid/minor but I think this might annoy completionists...

The existing ones are already annoying me. There are 16 I don't have, there are a chunk of items locked behind them and I have no idea where to even start. Things that are just awarded for streaks and such are OK because I'll get them eventually just by playing, but I think it's very bad form to have an achievement that is both hidden and counterintuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

How the hell are you meant to beat Custom Party with five Defenders for the achievement? The Rotten is basically unbeatable with that comp.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dhamster posted:

Five grays is best done on Easy

I am doing it on Easy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

My only victory with an all grey team in custom party was using weaker enemies on easy mode, and got lucky with a dragon egg drop.

That combined with an iron heart and silver pendant on a stalwart made me squeek by the dragon boss.

I got it finally in almost the same way. I got Dragon Egg and Smelly Manure on a Bouncer to get me there - it turns out that 2 Revenge with growth 2 is pretty good against swarms of Imps and Bones - but it was Undying on the Dragon that saved me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

So, I am locked on challenges. I have:

Win Standard Normal in 45m or less: conceivably doable, but I almost never play a full game in one session and as is wins take me somewhere over 50 minutes.
Win with 13 Curses: I don't play Cursed mode and the "reward" is another loving curse so why would I even want it.
Win Unfair with all starting curses: yeah, gently caress off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dhamster posted:

Do you have fast animations enabled? That night help with the speed challenge.

Cursed mode is really fun imo. The 13 curses challenge really makes you master the mode though.

That unfair challenge is rough mostly because of Left Side Blank. I've only ever manage to win with that once.

I don't have fast animations. I'll see if I can find the option.

Left Side Blank is one I tried first. I wondered why the Ballet Shoes existed, and now I know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

I still play this a lot, and I'm still bashing my head against unfair difficulty. Best I've done is 16/20.

I don't know how you even got that far. I get killed by the witches every time. They're just impossible to beat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

norp posted:

The big thing with the witches is to get them to proc+1 with small stuff, then hit with big stuff if you can.
It means you can normally guarantee a kill next turn since they will be on 2-3 rather than 4

The other important bit is if you can't kill a witch but can set off another one's invicibility you should do that because you will take that damage either way but you guarantee another turn if they haven't been set off.

I know how to kill them. They just deal too much damage to survive. Slime Queen is the same. Floor 8 is a hard wall of unbeatable fights.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

I'd probably order them:
Start Damaged > Fewer Rolls >> Expensive Spells > Start Poisoned > Tough Monsters >> Left Blank

Fewer rolls does require you to play tighter, but given optimal play, I don't think it's a huge detriment to your win rate. I'm willing to swap expensive spells and start poisoned, but that poison damage is a lot. Tough monsters takes enemies that you could kill in one turn and makes them take 2 turns. I'd never be able to, like, snipe a witch first turn, for example. And of course, left blank is horrible and impossible to overcome.

Yeah, that's the problem and it's why I dropped S&D a few months ago. My three quests are to complete a Standard Normal run in 45 minutes or less, to win a battle with 13 curses, and to beat the game with every starting curse in Unfair. I'm not quick enough for the first, I've never even got close to the 13 curse point, and the "all starting curses" achievement is basically impossible. So I'm stuck, unable to unlock anything new.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I tried a run and found a possible bug - the item that gives poison to the top and bottom sides isn't interacting as expected with Engage. The attack deals double damage but only applies poison to the base value.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tann posted:

Are you fighting a troll?

I don't recall. Are trolls immune to enrage, or something? It was the first round and I boosted Ranger's ranged+engage 2 side to 4 with Fey, then attacked. The attack dealt 8 damage and 4 poison.

E: ah, could it be that the damage and poison are applied separately? Then the enemy would have been damaged by the time the poison resolved so Engage wouldn't trigger.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Well, I just got TPKed on floor 4 of Normal. Some of the new stuff is just so badly tuned it's unbelievable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tann posted:

roll better, scrub

Go on then, explain how Gnolls are even remotely fair or well balanced. They can appear as early as floor 3, they are completely immune to damage of less than 2 from any source, and they can OHKO level 1 characters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

"The grave is trying to flee! Do you let them escape?"

Well, that's one way to get Benevolence.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Scoundrel suuuuucks. Mate you got 4 blank sides, and one of the others is 1 damage no effect. Gtfo

Wait until you see Statue.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I unlocked Generate mode. That was interesting, to say the least. At one point I had a yellow guy with three bloodlust 1 damage sides and the item that gives sides +1 for each identical side paired with a red guy who had two heal/shield/mana gain sides and the item that gives those sides era. poo poo got done that run.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Junpei posted:

Of the three t1 Orange I like Lost the most because they have the most sides, and early Cruel can be nice for Gnolls

Cruel does absolutely nothing against Gnolls, though? The -1 for armour is subtracted before the die is doubled for Cruel.

Vulnerable is very good for picking them off, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tann posted:

I think this is wrong, you can kill a 1hp gnoll with 1dmg cruel.

I'm sure I've tried and failed. It was one of the things that made me think Gnolls were militantly unfair in the first place. It's probably easier for you to check and fix if required than for me to try and recreate, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Finally had time to sink my teeth into the new update. Was bummed nothing carried over, but actually it's quite the blessing in disguise.

There's a button in Settings that will attempt to import all your achievements.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I was just doing a 4x blue custom run when I randomly got Egg Basket on a Wizard and Hourglass on a Sorcerer. That made for some amusing first turns and some ridiculous second turns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

poe meater posted:

This is the only phone game I really enjoy and I will be playing it on the plane. Thank you and god bless.

I tried that and couldn't, it needed to sign in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tann posted:

Not sure what you needed to sign in to, I tried to avoid any of that.

I'm not sure either. I just did a global hard close and turned off mobile data and Wifi, and when I opened the game it took me right back to where I had been with no prompts at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Field Mousepad posted:

Legit the best mobile game I've played.

Another one who hasn't played Night of the Full Moon? Not going to poo poo talk Tann in his own thread (much), but that game is amazing. It started out as a Chinese knockoff of Dream Quest, but has since added an insane amount of content including what amounts to two complete additional games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Miftan posted:

I wish I could re-lock Basalt. What a run killer. Slates are so hard to deal with when you have high damage non-repeatable sides that I find myself picking cantrip heroes purely to deal with them.

See also Brambles, which can show up on wave 3 Normal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Man Jinxes are some horseshit. Love to have an almost unstoppable party instantly 3/5ths wiped on turn 1 because a "+2 monster lefts" Jinx showed up alongside a hydra and both of them rolled left to deal almost 20 damage to my blocker, my healer, and my mage.

Try getting Jinx with +3 monster left on floor 10. The Grave rolled left. I didn't bother trying to use my dice. poo poo isn't fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Is it intended that finishing a Blursed lap with 12+ items doesn't unlock Loot Mode?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

What use is the Bowl? It looks like a level 0 item, but it's level 3. Does it turn off modifications like inflicted Pain and Weaken?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ace is one of my favourite blues because there are so many items that make it amazing. Eucalyptus, for example, will trigger the triple side all by itself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Farquar posted:

I don't remember what Eucalyptus does.

As you might have guessed from what I said it does, it's a 3-pip with Double Use. (Specifically it's a level 5 item with Heal 3 Cleanse DU.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

At an absolute minimum I think you'd have to rite managain faces and manage your mana really carefully. You can do a lot with Burst and hero spells as long as your mana generating heroes don't all eat poo poo.

I've never seen Hero Rite, but I have put Rite onto a cantrip face before and you can use that die - and that die only - repeatedly. With the right gear you can probably generate infinite mana.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That screenie has some serious Blood Manos energy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

What's updog?

It's the reverse of Underdog: a rank 5 item that doubles your top side if you have more HP than the target. It's pretty good on most greys, but can also be a great finisher on a hero with cantrip or cleave on that side.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zodack posted:

What's underdog?

Yo momma.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

my favorite is "all skill" when gambler hits the left side

I prefer it when he hits the rightmost side and says "Snake eyes", chiefly because of the time it happened when I had Silk Cape and Catnip on him so rightmost was the best side on the die.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Martman posted:

I initially read this as "gayer and gayer" and now I'm a bit disappointed

That's Prism.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hey Tann, I just encountered a major bug but moved on from the game state before remembering to report: monster Eliminate sides are not always targeting the character with the lowest HP.

Details: I had a fight with four Goblins. The top two rolled a basic damage side and the bottom two rolled an Eliminate side. They all targeted my Fey, even though it was on 5 HP and my Initiate was on 4 HP.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

They target the lowest health after taking into account the already incoming damage.

That's still an issue, then, because the Fey would have been dead after the second Goblin attacked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Slaan posted:

Never take the +1 power for +2 monster power tweak. Basalt :negative:

I've had enough of Basalt, period. It ends at least 75% of my Blursed runs. I've had some amazing builds that would crush Hexia or Dragon without effort but they've died on level 16 because Basalt decided to summon Slates three times in a row and 99% of builds just cannot survive.

Suggested fix: add Exert or Self Weaken 1 to the Summon Slate sides. It'll still be tough, and curses will still gently caress you, but at least the auto losses will stop.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oh gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah the two items together are godlike (equivalent to a tier 12 item iirc; I believe that's the item tier at which Face of Horus turns up). Even so, Thimble loving rules and is a very lucky reward

Yes, and it's what I took - which turned out to be the right choice as my curse on the next level offered the i-d4 and my boss was Hexia. Unfortunately I got trashed on the next lap because Dragon rolled cleave poison every single turn and there just isn't enough cleanse to get past that bullshit.