Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

teen witch posted:

Ok y’all, down for some input on the below proposed guidelines

Derails: accidentsderails will happen, sometimes organically! Some are positive, fun and occasionally sexy tangents. Others are soul sucking slap fights that bring out the worst traits posters and those are the derails we strive to curb. Minds are made up, mouths are undone.

With that, if I or another fool that’s an IK request a ceasefire on a derail, it isn’t for a probefest, but if it’s a probefest you want, it’s one you’ll get. I believe in giving someone a fair shot, but if you ignore a warning and get a sixer…I don’t want to hear it cause I know what I’ve done.

Fake stories: yeah some of these are some clown college attempts at writing. I don’t want every page filled with “FAKE. PHONY” so calm down Holden Caulfield. If it’s something you can hilariously debunk (like for instance, someone saying an event took place on Feb 31st), that’s fine.

But if crying fake gets excessive or it’s the only drat thing being posted, I’ll enforce the “post another drat thing, then” rule. I presume that this is a self explanatory rule.

Other things to keep in mind: goons are, and have always been, rather diverse and of all spots and stripes. This is more apparent in a post-Lowtax era and honestly? Good.

I urge you to be cognizant of that in this thread. How you act upon that is your own choice, but understand that some people won’t have the same experience as you and that poo poo happens. You may have a bit more needed to understand them, or conversely, other goons might not (or obstinately refuse to) get it. Have as much patience as needed or deserved. Some goons can, will, and want to learn and grow. Others will cling to their mudpit of idiocy as they know of nothing more and insist on making you a resident there. Expend energy accordingly, but if you need a second pair of eyes, don’t hesitate to DM me or email me at someawfulwitch at geemale dawt calm. I don’t have access to mod reports so that is usually the most expedient way of getting my attention outside of the Cuervo gold and the fine Columbian.

wise bards once said “you and me baby ain’t nothing but mammals, so let’s do it like they do on the discovery channel (build and document a thriving ecosystem of goons in their tall begoatsed towers, mocking redditors below for a laugh)”

I think these are good rules and guidelines. This is the thread I spend the most time in on the forums and I really loving hate the derails. Obviously discussion is fine, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who has scrolled through entire pages of 3 posters arguing about tipping, vegans, child support, or whatever while looking for the bold text that indicates actual content. Similarly, the fake story callouts are a cousin of the same kind of pedantic "well ackshually" posting that constitutes most of the derails, so no loss there either.

You are a tireless and highly active IK and this thread is better for having you in it, teen witch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

teen witch posted:

My (33F) friend (33F) is being used for propaganda and I don't know how to reach out to her about it

The comments on this one are taking years off my life. Some of them are straight downplaying the OPs concerns and :argh:

I'm assuming her friend developed guillain barre syndrome after being vaccinated. There was an article in the Boston Globe recently written by a guy who got that after getting his COVID vaccine and it sounded absolutely awful. You immune system goes crazy and starts attacking your own nerve endings, extremely painful and can cause permanent damage. He said he suffered in silence because he was afraid of people using his story in exactly that kind of way or as an excuse not to get vaccinated.

That girl should try to get ahead of it by going to the media on her own about what's happening. Maybe some reputation management firm will pick her up for the free publicity and try to get her google results fixed.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

1 (20M) sent my girlfriend (20F) a post and then panicked and asked her to ignore it

quote:

So I (20M) sent my girlfriend (20F), who I have been dating for the last 4 months an excerpt from a book, which reads -

"It is a measure of how satisfied we are with the offerings of the spouse. The dissatisfied seek satisfaction elsewhere;" said Vishwamitra. "| shall always strive to find all my satisfaction in a single wife"; declared Ram. "What if your wife does not find satisfaction in you?" asked Vishwamitra, eager to hear the response of the prince. But it was a princess who responded. "If she is wise, she will accommodate the inadequacy. If he is wise, he will strive to grow", said Sita, still looking at Ahilya and the hesitant tenderness of Gautama.

I wrote "This does reeks too much of us". As she said something similar to the last line of the excerpt a few days back. But after a while I got scared and asked her to ignore it, which she did apparently.

So did I send something really strong and off putting too soon?

TL;DR I am scared that I sent something too strong and off putting to my girlfriend too soon.

If you thought weebs were annoying, check out this Siddhartha nerd.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for pulling my daughter out of a wedding?

Her mental health problems are literally causing her to miss important life events and are damaging her relationships with her loved ones. I feel for her problems, but I hope she stops listening to her mom and begins taking some more responsibility for herself and her health.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Hey thread, I hate you, so read this

Thicc girl smol boi

quote:

My (27yo/Male) boi is quite thin and tall. I’m a 24yo Female who is short and thicc. I can’t sit on his lap or snuggle on top of him without making him uncomfortable or hurting him. We have been dating 3 years.

What do I do?

I really hate hurting him or making him uncomfortable. But I also am in ED recovery and I’m quite comfortable with the weight I’m at even if it is a little on the thicc side. He can’t pick me up or let me sit in his lap or really be on top of him snuggling otherwise he gets super uncomfortable or he gets injured.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I’m a touch enthusiast.

TL;DR thicc girl struggling with thin boi who can’t handle her weight coughing discomfort or injury.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Evil Willow posted:

Take the money, get a hotel room, lock your bedroom door and put a sensor camera above the door so if anyone tries to break in you can call them out on it straight away. Cousin can sleep on the couch, dude is well within his rights to tell these people to sod off. Also, it won't be a "one time thing" if he lives with them long-term. What about next year? Anyway, some more content!

AITA for going off on the restaurant that gave me regular soda instead of zero sugar?

Would having one regular Coke have this effect on someone who's in ketosis? It sounds really, really risky to eat out while having such a specific diet that one drink can cause you to have a seizure. For all he knows, the people who topped up the drink fountains put the wrong product under the wrong name, and it wasn't even the waitress who hosed up.

Sure, and people with a food allergy might get contaminated food and someone with a wheelchair might encounter a bathroom they can't use. You can't expect people with medical conditions to restrict themselves unconditionally in our society, and restaurant workers get specific training about handling dietary restrictions. It's reasonable to expect to get what you order at a restaurant, he didn't make any mistakes other than calling the waitress names to her manager I guess.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Corky busting in with these once in a lifetime bizarre life experiences that he has dozens of and we'd be lucky (???) to have even one of is my favorite thing in this thread since Cumshitter used to let us know how how disappointing his straight son was.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Yeah I mean go for it, but don't act all surprised you got left and the guy isn't interested in seeing you again.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

AITA for sniffing a seat?

cumpantry posted:

NEVER EVER NEVER LET ANYONE TAKE AWAY YOUR SPARKEL

PancakeTransmission posted:

DRS SAID I WAS SICK AND COULD DIE FROM A BROKEN HEART

quote:

I am well within my rights to sniff a seat

These are all excellent thread title candidates

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

I am afraid I need a translation here to understand who this is about and what is going on and what is even being asked

The OP is claiming they have multiple personalities and one of them (alter as in alter-ego) makes racist tweets. Yeah, it's as dumb as it sounds.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Giving charity should ideally be you throwing money or goods at a good cause and then patting yourself on the back, if you absolutely must, on your way out the door. Don't earmark the money for certain projects or programs, and don't demand the staff give you a sales pitch outside the printed material unless it's 5 figures or something. So many people use charity as a way to reinforce the social hierarchy that is the root problem in the first place - they want to feel superior to the people they are helping and demand gratitude for their "selflessness".

My wife runs a homeless shelter in our area and while the holiday season is a big one for collecting donations and fundraising, the entitlement the donators feel can be out of control. One wealthy family wanted to sponsor a homeless family being sheltered by providing them and their children with Christmas gifts. They asked my wife if they could be present in the room when the homeless family opened the gifts so they could see their reactions. My wife said no, that's inappropriate. Then they asked if they could stay outside but watch them open the gifts through the window of the shelter. Also a no, because poor people aren't zoo animals. And it goes without saying that all of this needed to be scheduled around the rich family's own Christmas morning plans.

Also kudos to the person who recommended Evicted a few pages ago. It's a really important book and a real eye opener to the conditions faced by people who, demographically, are very different from your typical SA poster.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

my(f29) gf (27f) holds extremely prejudiced views and i don’t know what to do about it.

quote:

I’ve always known that my(f29) girlfriend(27f) had very strong opinions that often led extremely to the right or extremely to the left but these views she shared with me..were downright discriminatory. At one point she insinuated that ending a specific cohort of people would be better for the world. Her views on some groups of people were so disgusting and downright shocking, it literally sounded like she didn’t even see them as humans. I’m so in shock and was so upset that i started crying when i heard my girlfriend’s views.I love her so much, she’s a very kind person and she has been such a great addition to my life but i’m having trouble deciding whether i should overlook this racism or shut it down.I let her know that her views upset me and she just tried to defend them. Aside from this she’s been a perfect girlfriend and i see her as the love of my life but this is hard for me.Should i overlook the fact that she’s racist because she’s perfect in every other area or should i take more drastic measures?

TL;DR! I found out my girlfriend holds extremely prejudiced views, aside from that she’s perfect but i don’t know if i can overlook her racist views.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Breaking it the Kids

quote:

My wife (29F) is filing for from me (29M) after 10 years of marriage with four kids ranging from 3-12. This kind of took me by surprise as generally she’s been pretty mentally abusive since early on and I’ve been the one threatening to divorce if she doesn’t change or get counseling for various things that cause the abuse. I’m stuck. Part of me wants to try and talk it out. But part of me wants to keep our family unit together. The youngest ones won’t even remember this unit the way it is. And trauma comes with divorce. There may have been some from us arguing in the home,but I don’t feel it’s more than what comes with divorce. Also. I don’t know when to break it to them. We are filing next week, and keeping it from them through Christmas feels deceitful. If I was the oldest child I’d want to know that this was my last Christmas with my family in its current state. Not sure how to go about this.

TD;LR Wife is divorcing me after 10 years. Not sure if I should try and hold things together despite them being broken, or when to break the news to the kids.

I like how this idiots real question is if it's a good idea to ruin his children's Christmas by announcing their bitch mother is divorcing him in the most traumatic way he can as a way to hurt her.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

What to do about religious conflict

quote:

Hi! I (f25) am struggling with what to do in a specific instance where my own religious beliefs (Christian) conflict directly with my husband’s (m29) family’s beliefs (Hindu). Note- my husband believes in nothing but generally pacifies his family, this is the first time it has been a problem. We have been together for 5 years and married 1. In this instance we are required by his family to hold a housewarming ceremony where we honor their gods, represented by idols. I specifically believe that idols are forbidden and we have never displayed one in our home before or done any ceremony showcasing one, but I did know he has a small one in a box somewhere. (Didn’t love it but didn’t want to mention it and ask him to get rid of it.) I feel a place with an idol in it is tainted and evil but I also know that is really overdramatic and hurtful to those who believe in them. I only mention it so the depth of my feelings on the subject is understood. If he believed in these idols and also was invested in this I would bite my tongue since I knowingly got myself into this when I married him- but he really doesn’t care and just wants his family pacified. I thought I could just ignore it and do the ceremony with them but the closer we get to time the more panicked and sick I feel. I really don’t want that in our new home. I respectfully asked about the ceremony and if there was a way to do it without the idols and expressed that I didn’t like them being there but he said they were crucial. I didn’t push it but I don’t know what to do with this direct conflict. Any suggestions?
I almost want to put my foot down and be like that’s not coming in my house. But I also don’t want to hurt anyones feelings. But my feelings are important to.

TD:LR I don’t want idol worship in our new house but husbands family demands it. He doesn’t care but wants to pacify them. Should I fight it or let it go.

Hey reddit, my husband and his family are disgusting, hellbound pagans,

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Piell posted:

AITA for not making my (32f) boyfriend (27m) adhere to a dress code my mother requested for my birthday dinner?

This is seriously one of the best posts of 2021 imo

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Uncle Enzo posted:

r/relationships: My dad yelled that I broke the bro code

Lol, yes please

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Hughlander posted:

AITA for suggesting to my fiancée that we make our honeymoon inclusive to our friends?

The origin story of the guy who doesn't understand why getting a paternity test on his 3 year old resulted in his wife divorcing him.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

What's this? Manga for old people?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Trans people stealing our names is even worse than the time Obama forced us to get gay-married.

Anyway let's get back to the REAL problems cis couples deal with everyday.

Husband likes my breast milk

quote:

Husband loves my breast milk…

Hi there I (31F) have had an incredible , loving relationship with my husband (32M) for the last seven years. We met in college and it was instant sparks. We got married after three years together and decided to have our first child together earlier this year (a healthy baby girl!). I was nervous for sexual intimacy after pregnancy/birth as my body had changed quite a bit. I have stretch marks I never had, my breasts are larger and hang lower than before, and my nipples changed size/shape/color. I know this is all normal but I couldn’t help but feel insecure about being physically intimate with my husband. All this aside, he put so much effort into reassuring me I was just as beautiful as ever and making me feel sexy. Long story short, we were having sex and he instinctively began kissing my breasts and I accidentally started lactating during the process. I was HORRIFIED and embarrassed. I have read on forums that is perfectly normal and there is nothing to be embarrassed about but I couldn’t help but feel bad about it. The issue , though, my husband said it tasted quite pleasant and ever since he has been asking to try it again. He won’t stop talking about my breast milk and I even saw him steal a swig from the bottle I had pumped for our baby. I can’t help but feel weird about it. I don’t really care about him taking a sip here and there but he has expressed wanting it from the source so to speak… Can anyone else relate? What do I do? I don’t know how to feel

TL;DR my husband accidentally tried my breast milk during sex and now he wants more and I don’t know how to feel

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for telling my oldest sister “why should I learn from you"

GROWTH MINDSET

Sounds like that sister would benefit from a performance improvement plan.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My [27M] wife [27F], a PhD biologist, is unvaccinated and hospitalized with COVID-19. Now she won't talk to me about anything besides ivermectin.

quote:

My wife of 6 months is a big fan of certain podcasts that have influenced her thinking on this matter. She also claims to understand the science and see obvious holes in the data. At first I listened to her because I thought she knew best, but it became clear to me over time that she was wrong and I got my 2nd shot 2 months ago in spite of her begging me not to, claiming I might be sterilized by it.

She works from home but I can't and I probably gave it to her. My wife got really sick and both of us tested positive. She then started having trouble breathing Tuesday night and was hospitalized. I'm still asymptomatic but self isolating alone in our apartment.

I keep texting her, desperate to know how she's doing, trying to figure out her odds of survival. All she will say to me is stuff like "Well I'd be fine if they'd give me ivermectin!" Just an hour ago I asked her if she's okay and she texted me saying "I'm probably going to die if they don't give me ivermectin."

I asked her "Did they say you were probably going to die?" but I can't get a single straight answer. I don't know if she's going to get out of the hospital tomorrow or if I'm going to find out she's dead. I'm upset that she won't even give me any straight answers about the state of her health, while I'm stuck here alone not knowing if I'll ever even see her again. I can't visit her in the hospital. What do I do?

Edit: There are about 80 different hospitals she might be in. She won't even tell me where she is.

TL;DR! - I can't get any straight answers about the state of her health and can only communicate with her by phone. I'm annoyed with her for it but also extremely scared for her.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

R/relationships is pretty much wall to wall Christmas drama. Merry Christmas!

Family excluded me from Christmas dinner

quote:

Family excluded me from Christmas dinner

I 27f reluctantly decided to drive 7 hours to have dinner with my dad (step dad) and his girlfriend and my sister even though I’m not in the mood for Christmas this year bc I was recently fired from my job and money has been tight this year. I thought maybe seeing family opposed to being alone n isolating myself like I always do would be better. I almost wasn’t going to come but I didn’t want to be alone for the holiday so I scraped together gas money n got in the car and said to myself well let me get on the road and go see them. I would have been perfectly content staying at home by the way. Maybe a little depressed but I would have found a way to make it work. I was beyond tired but let them know when I got on the road and also let them know they’re was traffic along the way. It’s a 7 and a half hour drive. They decided to celebrate on Christmas Eve this year. The drive was hell I was falling asleep at the wheel but pushed through bc I wanted to see them. I get a call when I’m one hour out it’s my sister saying they just decided to eat without me. I lost my poo poo. Broke down crying and wanted to turn around. They couldn’t understand why I was upset. To me them just simply not waiting for me to eat after I did so much to be there with them for dinner was a slap in the face truthfully , it hurt. The 10 year anniversary of my mom passing away just passed and holidays have not been the same without her I really wanted to try to be a real family this year and got my hopes up for that. Them deciding to eat without me and then acting like I was being over dramatic and it’s no big deal hurt. They’ve always made me feel unwelcome in their home or like I’m not apart of what they have going on and this just solidified it. I ended up not going over there at all once I found out they ate without me and went to the bar with my uncle on my moms side instead. They called me apologizing and saying maybe we can have breakfast together to make up for it but I think I will just go back home.

OP reveals in the comments her arrival time for dinner after her chaotic planning and a late start was 9pm.

My [28F] Grandma [86F] is going to tell everyone not to eat my Christmas cooking

quote:

Okay so all of this happened moments ago. Tomorrow Grandma and I, who live together, are going over to my aunt and uncle's for Christmas. They're making almost everything, but I wanted to contribute so I spoke to them both midday earlier about what I should make before settling on collard greens, then told them I'd be going to the store soon to get ingredients and we said our goodbyes.

I think greens are best on day 2, plus didn't want to be racing against the clock tomorrow, so I made them late tonight. I let the greens sit on the stove for like an hour until they were not too hot to put in the fridge.

My grandma then starts telling me stories about potlucks where people served rancid food and told me she was worried my food was unsafe. I assured her it wasn't out that long.

"Why did you even make it so early?" she asked.

"I think it's better on day two," I replied.

"It's not day two. I saw you make it yesterday."

From further conversation I began to realize that Grandma thinks I made the greens 24 hours ago, and that they've been on the stove unrefrigerated for these 24 hours. I made them RIGHT NOW. The reason her brain generated this is because she's aging and her memory isn't great. It's a good time to mention that she's the most sweet and kind and good natured and wonderful grandma in the world. But I can feel it in my bones that tomorrow she's going to whisper behind my back and tell the family not to eat what I made because I left it sitting out for a day. And her memory issues mean she is not capable of taking feedback.

I know that my relatives will judge me if I "bring drama" by telling them this story the way I've said it here. I also feel sad knowing they're going to think I'm serving them something old and rotten and gross. There's a chance Grandma will say nothing, but IDK. I'm specifically looking for feedback on what to say to the family other than her, because I know she's not to be reasoned with. What do I say to them, if anything?

TL;DR: My grandma arbitrarily misremembers me cooking the Christmas greens a day ago and leaving it out for 24 hours. I actually made it just now and put it in the fridge just now. How do I counter her saying this to the rest of the family, so they don't think I'm a gross weirdo trying to food poison them?

No D*** for Christmas

quote:

My partner (27M) and I (26F) have been together for 5 years now. We used to be all over each other when we were younger and now I wonder if we lost that passion. We’d been flirting with each other all day Christmas Eve and making obvious plans to have sex after our busy day. I shower, freshen up and even throw on some decorative items to bring the Christmas spirit to bed with us. Then in the middle of foreplay I see he’s on his phone watching porn. This isn’t abnormal, if anything it’s pretty standard at this point but sometimes it feels like Im laying there like a sex prop and the porn is his main fantasy. It has made me feel insecure and sad for awhile that it’s our “new normal”. I tried to ignore it and just connect with him by looking past the phone at him but he got frustrated at me for “staring” at him. I guess I made things awkward but I didn’t know how to avoid a fight and just express that it’s a turn off to feel that Im an afterthought to him finding the perfect video. I tried to explain this but he got got dressed and we went to bed without talking to each other further. I’m at a loss for what the issue is and how to fix it without becoming detached from the idea of having a passionate romantic love again. Also no d*** for Christmas feels like I’m on the naughty list—and not even the fun one. What are my options to salvage our communication and get him to put the phone down?

Tl;dr: My partner constantly watches porn during foreplay and it’s turning me off/hurting my feelings

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My gf doesn't want me to talk about experiments and unnornal thoughts

quote:

My 32 mind is the one of a scientist (INTJ) and I experiment and try out certain things. If I learn something interesting, I try to learn everything about that information and go deep with my knowledge. My gf 29 (ISFJ) tells me to be normal all the time and hates it when I tell her about my thoughts on business ideas and experiments.

I talked with her about me mixing lube with Sichuan pepper and trying whether the vibrating and electrical tingling sensation of that spice also works on my genitals

If it works, I thought it might be a good business idea for a lube

After telling her that I tried it she said that she will not talk to me anymore, because I am not normal.

(another of my weird thoughts that annoyed her was using hypnosis as a narcotic for a dentist visit or for childbirth. I did not want to force it upon her, I just wanted to tell her that it is possible but just mentioning it made her upset)

I know that I am not average but I don't want to be normal. I have the idea that one cannot be normal and have above average success at the same time. My dream is to become an entrepreneur, business owner or investor. Atm I am an employee (programmer)

I know that only 5% of music composers are women and that probably all women want a safe husband and not a scientist/composer/trial and error type of guy.

Tldr Should I stop my weird way of thinking if I ever want to become a father or should I try to be myself and tell her that she needs to accept me the way I am

Anyway the plan is for to you to burst into the lube section of Walmart and loudly exclaim "WHERE IS THE LUBE WITH THAT REAL SICHUAN PEPPER TINGLE??". Meanwhile some other friends will pretend to be browsing nearby and agree that none of these lubes meet our needs. That's when I appear and offer free samples to everyone of my pepper lube and you all talk about how great it is. The GM will be so pressured by the spontaneous show of interest he'll have no choice but to sign the distribution contract I'll have prepared!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

This is 2 days old so sorry if it got posted already, I am bad at threadsearch

I like to creep around my home and act like a goblin

This owns

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Um can we please cool it on using the m-word slur on this page? I don't want to have to start mass reporting people.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not drinking around my largely sober friends?

But if you don't drink at parties around us anymore, who do we get to make fun of and judge in order to make us feel better??

Found out that my(f22) boyfriend(m23) who recently graduated with his master's in teacher has been cyberbullying a friend for not going to college

quote:

My boyfriend (Eric) graduated with his master's in the spring, and his parents threw him a big party to celebrate. He's hoping to become a teacher and is currently working as a substitute. We've been dating for almost three years after meeting in college, but when I stumbled upon something that I bought to his attention, he made me out to be the enemy while accusing me of "not being on his side"

Eric is involved in a few role-play groups on Twitter, and he has a few accounts that portray various fictional characters. He's also into D&D, but writing stories for his RP group to act out is his hobby, and while I'm not a part of the group, I followed some of the accounts to keep up with his storylines, and he sometimes asks me for opinions on his stories. However, I stumbled upon an account that I wasn't supposed to find, but did because some of his RP accounts followed it (as many of his accounts follow each other), and it was an account that impersonated one of his friends. Long story short... there's a guy named Evan who is in his D&D group, and Evan is one of his closest friends. Evan also has a younger brother (Todd) who sometimes tags along to D&D, and he is a talented artist who has drawn many of Eric's characters and profile photos for his RP accounts too. And while I'm not an active member of D&D, I've met him a few times when I've tagged along on days when Eric would invite me

Evan and Todd come from a military family where both of their parents served, but Evan went to college. Todd wanted to go into the service upon finishing high school, but Eric would try to convince him to go to college because he believed it was better than the service. However, Todd still wanted to enter. So, Eric spoke to Evan to try and get him on his side, but Evan reinforced that the choice was ultimately Todd's and that there are benefits to both the military and college. So, neither would be a bad choice, and I agreed with that too. However, when an injury would prevent Todd from being able to enter, Eric believed that he would opt for college, but he landed an internship through a connection with his father that would allow him to learn a trade instead, and that is what led to what happened recently

Eric made a Twitter that impersonated Todd, but unlike his RP accounts, he actually made it look like Todd's actual account and began using it to make fun of him. He downloaded photos of Todd and used them to make memes that degraded him for not going to college, some calling him "stupid" and "how he got what he deserved" by suffering the injury and not being able to enter, but he didn't stop there. He also downloaded photos from the accounts of family/relatives and began making fun of them for the internship he landed, posting photos of people who weren't Todd too. When I told him what I found and asked why he felt he could do this, he said that "everyone sucks up to military families" and that they're "probably poor enough to get free college" which is "better than an internship". When I pointed out a meme where he called Todd "mentally re____ted", he said it was "true" because they were "stupid to refuse college" and "think they're better than it". When I told him that he has no right to berate Todd and a bunch of people related to him, he refused to take it down and said it's "better than exploding in Todd's face" when it really bothers him as someone who has a master's in teaching and wants everyone to know how important school is. But, when I told him that Todd is entitled to his own opinion, he accused me of "taking Todd's side" and "not being sensitive of his ADHD" and how he uses Twitter to vent when he's "unable to focus" which allows him to "be more even keel in public". When I asked if he had done this to anyone else besides Todd, he told me to "mind my own business" and refused to take it down. He also said that he had "done this for a while" and that only now I had an issue with it, and the account about Todd was a few weeks old

quote:

Update:

After we talked that night, I planned to tell him that I wanted a break, but I didn't want to say it without preparing for him to potentially do the same to me on Twitter. So, after taking the advice of a lot of people, I decided to tell my family and relatives about how he had gone on a rampage of downloading photos of Todd's family/relatives and advised them to make their accounts private or block him, and a lot of them were really thankful that I told them. The main reason I did was because Eric downloaded photos of minors who were related to Todd, and I didn't want him doing the same to my family and making memes out of uninvolved people. I also spoke to Evan and told/showed him what had happened, and he was really upset and said that he and his parents were going to call the school Eric's interning/subbing at and let them know of what he's been doing not only to Todd, but also to minors in their family who he downloaded images of. He also said that he and his parents went to the police to address it, but as of writing, the account of Todd that Eric made is still somehow up and not yet deleted, and maybe it's because Eric made the account private after our initial conversation, but I don't know. I gave them all of my screenshots, but as of now, nothing has happened. Evan's parents also told/showed the school what happened, but he is still employed and subbing at the moment, and Evan said that they were having a hard time proving the account was Eric's although they are still trying to get it taken down. He also has relatives who are complaining to the school too about photos Eric downloaded of them and their children, but almost a month later, nothing has happened yet

After talking to Evan and my family, I told Eric that we were done, but he began making posts about me on one of his RP accounts and how I was apparently "cheating on him" and "trying to start rumors", and I screenshotted what he posted, but still nothing has happened. He also started posting about some prescriptions I've taken that I never told anyone besides family, but my relatives have been supportive throughout. But, I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt. He's also started posting memes about me too, and I have record of all of it, and I'm hoping that with time and all of the people/relatives reporting that something can happen soon, but I'm slightly surprised nothing has happened yet. Lastly, I want to say that this whole thing has shown a side of him that I've never really seen before. Like, we've argued. But, stumbling across this account and what he "uses to vent and cope with ADHD" just made him so aggressive because he said that it was "as if I was removing an inhaler from someone who needs it" when we talked that night and he got so defensive. That's what he compared it too, me "making fun of people with special needs" as he's also posted about, and that's where I am now. I feel like I've done almost as much as I can, and waiting is hard. So, if anyone has any advice on how to push through this time with an ex who's trying to destroy everyone I know, I would really appreciate it. But, it's hard right now, and I'll end with this. He's also gone about posting images of me too, but nothing explicit as we've never taken those. However, he's started posting photos of me when I was in high school and in dance and making degrading comments about my body, and I've taken screenshots of those to the police too as I'm still waiting to see what happens. I've been told that it can be a process, but that has hurt the most and is what I'm trying to push through, and if anyone has any advice on how to just get past a toxic ex who goes to such measures, I would really appreciate it because right now is really hard. I'm hoping something happens soon, but maybe it's just a process, but I could just use all of the advice I could get

TL;DR: After our initial conversation where I confronted him on what I found, I wanted to break up, but not immediately until I got some things in order after many of the helpful comments from the first post, and I decided to warn family/relatives to block him or make their accounts private, but he's started posting about me in the same way he did to Todd

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Literally laughed out loud in a public place just from the title alone

My [32m] girlfriend [31f] asked me to choose what year, I thought she was the most physically attractive. I told her 21.. Now she told me that I am a creep and I am not the guy for her

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been dating for a year and a half we met each other off a dating app. Things have been overall good, but now we have been at a weird place where she has been constantly been bringing up us getting married. And for me, I view it as the next natural step in a long term relationship, but I need to feel like I truly feel ready for that level of commitment. My girlfriend says she agrees with that but then does a lot of like subtley manipulative stuff to get me to think about marriage and babies.

And we are at a weird spot now where I feel like if I don't see something on the exact same thing with her, she puts distance between us. Like for example, I asked her if she could try to make a recipe for me but with my mom's style cooking and she is like oh thats a wife level request. And that I am asking for too much.

Now comes the situation at hand. My girlfriend was showing me her Facebook ( I have seen this before) and she asks me what year did she look the best. I was like those years are ahead of us. And she is like no like be objective, which year did I look the hottest. For me, I chose a pic of her when she was in college and was 21 at that time..

Welp , after that it was tears and anger from her. She starts calling me a creep said that she misjudged my character. And that she doesn't know if she can see herself with me. Im like you asked me to pick a photo. For me, I wasn't trying to be hurtful like, I prefer my girlfriend now with the personality and all she has today. But she asked me just about pure looks.

What do I do now here? I feel like my girlfriend in general has been doing these probing type behaviors, and I see this more as a continued pattern than this individual event. What should I do here? Also how can I assure her that I love her how she is now?

Tl;Dr - girlfriend asked me to pick a year on which she looked the best I chose a pic of when she was 21

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

It's rare you get so much gold when filtering for new posts, but today's the day...

[23m] What's the best way to tell my girlfriend [22f] about my very specific fetish?

quote:

I've known my girlfriend since the 3rd year of high school but we never really talked up until about a year ago after seeing each other at a party, and now we've been in a relationship for about half a year.

Now I've got a fetish for girls wearing puffer jackets, don't ask me why but seeing a girl in a nice puffer drives me crazy. I know my girlfriend wore various puffer jackets throughout high school, but now she doesn't because it doesn't really suit her style anymore. Lately I've been fantasising about doing sexual things with her in her old jackets, but I'm not sure how to bring it up? I'm not sure she has the jackets anymore either, considering they were from a period where we weren't really in touch. I'm worried because the idea of asking her to wear something that she last wore when she was essentially a child might be creepy, and she might just thing it's weird in general that I'm turned on by that kind of thing. Any advice on what would be the best way to tell her about it?

TL:DR - I've got a thing for girls in puffer jackets, how do I ask my girlfriend if by any chance she would like to have sex with her old puffers on?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

...is this an enforceable contract? Could the MIL take the OP to court for the $25k because she didn't follow through?

This court hereby orders you to set your Facebook relationship status to "it's complicated"

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Breakfast mom won't be earning many tips with her attitude.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

drat, if the mom is a 10, the stepdad is like a 7 on failing that child.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

This is an awesome update

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Meanwhile, in a not at all parallel universe to the hijab wedding story posted recently:

My (24f) friend (25f) doesn't want my boyfriend (28m) to wear his kilt to her wedding

quote:

My friend and I are both from the Netherlands and my boyfriend is Scottish. We are going to fly over from Scotland to be at her wedding.

Initially we were only invited for the party in the evening and I asked her if it was okay that he wore his kilt, cause it's a part of his suit and his culture. She said she didn't mind at all. Yesterday she texted me saying how they changed a few things in the budget so boyfriend and I can come all day. I was very excited but she instantly said how he's not allowed to wear his kilt during the day, cause there's going to be a photographer and her wedding pictures are very important to her. I said it's her wedding and I respect that so he's going to wear something else.

She mentioned how he doesn't necessarily has to wear a suit, just nice clothes. I explained to her that his kilt IS his suit and it felt like his culture isn't being accepted at this point, and we were a bit sad he couldn't wear it but again, respect her wishes and will get something else for him.

This is where she got upset with me. She says it feels like she's being the problem while she made budget free just so we could be there during the day and that she almost regrets doing it at this point. She said she does accept his culture but she just doesn't want him to wear it cause it's her pictures. Between all of this I kept telling her it's ok and that he's gonna wear something else and I apologized for saying it felt like his culture wasn't being accepted.

It just all felt a bit weird, she kept pointing out how she made the budget free just so i could be there so I should be thankful and how she is accepting of his culture but she doesn't want him to dress according to it, so because of that I told her today we were only gonna be there in the evening also so she could spent the budget somewhere else, and my boyfriend could wear his kilt. She got very upset with me again, saying what I'm doing doesn't make any sense and she doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

I just don't know if I'm in the wrong here. She invited someone from a different culture herself.. I'm kinda tempted to not go at all also cause we're going to fly over just for the wedding.

TLDR: My friend doesn't want my boyfriend to wear his kilt at her wedding cause she doesn't want it to be in her wedding pictures.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

trickybiscuits posted:

yyyyyup. I just watched Cheyney McKnight's letter to future black reenators and she said, "Some people will be very angry at you for portraying this impression. They see you as a contradiction to everything they have ever been taught about their history."

That was a very interesting video from a perspective I never even considered as something that existed. Thanks for sharing!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

R/relationships: throwing water in her flame of creativity

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Am I the A****** (23 F & 27 M) for not wanting to touch his lump?

quote:

My partner of 1 year has a lump on his lower leg, he has been complaining about it all week. I thought it may be a pimple but hasn't gone away. He asked me to look at it which is fine, no issues BUT then he started regularly asking me to touch it while we cuddling and making weird sounds of pleasure...

I asked him what was going on and he said it hurts so good. At first I thought he was kidding but would get frustrated if I pulled away...I finally said I didn't want to anymore and he was super offended. It made me uncomfortable, I feel bad and am unsure if I did something wrong? Am I in the wrong?

Oh God what parasite has infested this man??

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

edgeman83 posted:

At the very least the fucker should pay his share of the cost of parenting, regardless of if he is in the child's life or not.

Edit: New page tax:

AITA for telling a student he's not really English?
I am a british- american woman. I am very proud of both my nationalities, and have lived in America most of my life and spent a couple months abroad in England. I’m now a teacher in America.

There’s an Arab-British kid in my class now, who claims he spent 12 years in the UK, and is very much a “loud and proud” brit. He often refuses to say he’s from his country, and instead says he’s English.

Personally, as a real woman with ties to the UK, I really don't think he’s English. He has an accent which I just can’t place. It’s like an amalgamation of the classic Scottish accent, pompous English accent, lower class English accent, and his natural arabian accent, which he’s clearly trying to cover up. When I questioned him about it he spun a wild tale about how the area of London he lived in, apparently “Brent”, which has a mixture of working class and upper class people, along with immigrants, and a bunch of Scots, which is why his accent is so odd.

To Be honest, I get it, a brown kid in America, 9/11 and all that Jazz, I get why he felt he needed to mask his natural accent and identity, but this kid clearly has never been to the UK. I let him know he didn’t have to worry about it, and told him it’s ok to have a middle eastern accent. He got very rude with me, snapping at me saying I was out of line and from then on I have really wanted to put him in his place, and sort of catch him out.

Recently I was teaching about slang terms for business products, and I decided to call on this kid and ask him what they use to clean the floors in the UK. For those of you who aren’t British, we call vacuums “Hoovers” and basically nobody calls it a vacuum.

He was confused and clearly fumbling, getting the attention of the rest of the class with some stutters. Eventually I told him “the thing that sucks stuff up” and he said “vacuums”. I obviously told him that they were called Hoovers in the UK and that any real Brit would know that, so maybe he should stop pretending.

He got flustered and began tearing up and walked out, I knew I’d gone too far. I tried to apologise but he was again very rude when I approached him during lunch. Some of my co-teachers told me it’s ok and one told me to post on here.

Personally, I think I’m TA, though only slightly. AITA?

Proud 2b White

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Solenna posted:

you would think the obvious situation would be he goes to see the movie and if the wife goes into labour she phones him and he stops seeing the movie and leaves to goes to be with her.

But if they had a basic ability to compromise like that I guess they wouldn't be posting on Reddit.

This is a good post lol

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Love this story. Pro-click zone, everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

It's called Porky Pigging.

I was about to say OK Boomer, but I guess Winnie the Pooh predates even Porky