Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Captain Hygiene posted:

All judgment about his moralizing aside, I'm not even sure what's going on here. It reads like "I'll be embarrassed if you go"/"OK, I guess I won't go"/"No, you can't do that either!!" to me. I guess he's just a shame elemental living entirely in the moment?

Look, she'll just have to design and build a device to travel back in time to convince her younger self to not start stripping. Is this too much to ask for???

Edit: which means that he will not have been embarrassed by her past, which means that he will not have pestered her to build the time machine, which means that her past self will not have been convinced to not strip, which means he will have been embarrassed by her past. I call this the Genius Stripper Paradox.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cloacamazing! posted:

Twist: He's actually embarrassed of her being in "holistic medicine".

Honestly, she'd have hurt far fewer people if she'd just kept working as a stripper.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITAH for telling my fiancé’s mother why she can’t come on our honeymoon

Edit to add spacing

Yes, but have you considered that therapy animals can be expensive?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for arguing with my boyfriend over “the husband stitch”?

I seriously hope doctors and midwives shut this poo poo down nowadays.

I've heard of it on some history of medicine podcast or article years ago, and IIRC it was not at all a common (or even real) thing in the past. IIRC it was always mentioned as something a colleague-of-a-colleague had performed, and no first-hand account of performing or receiving one existed in older medical texts. It was likely just a sexist joke amongst 19th century male doctors. Doctors definitely regularly botched the suturing after birth, and this often led to sexual difficulties, so that's likely the origin of the joke.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if it is more common today, what with the rise of elective vaginoplasty, ironically.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

there's nothing wrong with being stupid, maybe she's really nice

This cannot be quoted enough.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

kdrudy posted:

Yea, not her place to fix this or push on it, that's only going to cause more issues. At 22 he's not a kid and plenty old enough to say he doesn't want to go and then not go though, too. I wonder what he did do on the cruise.

I guess some adults go on holidays with their parents? Though this guy clearly didn't want to.

A friend of mine booked a couple's holiday long in advance, ended up getting divorced in the meantime and ended up going on holiday alone. So one night this elderly couple at the resort saw that she was eating dinner alone and invited her to their table. Turns out they were on holiday with their 40-year old son. My friend ended up sleeping with the son a few times, but even she thought it was weird to go on holiday with your parents as a 40-year old.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mx. posted:

AITA for walking out of a dinner after being accused of supporting incest?

lots of replies arguing whether the show loki is about incest or not

Gotta say, kinda always surprised by the number of bystanders in AITA stories who are like "I know you've just been viciously verbally attacked and completely baselessly called a bigot/paedo/terrorist sympathiser/whatever, but you leaving the birthday/Christmas/wedding party makes you the rear end in a top hat."

Like WTF else are people like the OP supposed to do in those situations?

"You know what Julie, you're completely correct. The fact that I don't think the US should occupy Afghanistan indefinitely makes me an Islamist, misogynist, and supporter of child marriage. You're so right. Can we please talk about something else now?" *sips my sixth eggnog*

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

quantumwell posted:

It's a lazy troll apparently and a repeat at that.

Whew, what a relief! For a second there I thought the OP was saved from sex weirdos by redditers, of all loving people.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Would you gently caress me? I'd gently caress me. I'd gently caress me hard.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is he doing it because he's one of those assholes who is like "No one is allowed to use a phone during a group social event, says I"

It's some hacker culture thing. The BF is likely a computer toucher.

A classmate got one of those Casio TV remote watches, and for like a week his favourite activity was switching off and on all the TVs and monitors in school. Then he got bored and moved onto other things. This was like in 7th grade. This loving dude is 35. Jfc just break up with him already.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Lottery of Babylon posted:

quote:

I told him that even though she made an honest mistake 

Friend sounds like an rear end in a top hat, but lmao what "honest mistake"? She wanted to prank him, which is an rear end in a top hat thing to do. He overreacted, but that doesn't make her less of an rear end in a top hat.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Honestly they should stop hanging out with him, because he sounds like a huge rear end in a top hat and a sexist. He should stop hanging out with them, because hanging out with drunk people when you yourself are sober is super boring.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

trickybiscuits posted:

My Wife Holds the Magic Key to Sex Just Out of My Reach

"I want to do an activity with another human being, and they have the option to say no???!!!!!!"

Dude should try this thing called "masturbation," then he could do it any time, any place (within reason!), no need to bother his wife or any other person at all!

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Up until a few years ago, our university library had these really old looking signs saying they have phone jammers installed. There were no phone jammers as far as I could tell, at least not when I first saw the signs and tried to test with my own phone. I wonder if they installed them at some point and then turned them off when some law came into force or something.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

Won't initiate sex with wife anymore

I've never heard of the spoilered thing. Is that a new incel thing?

Feels like an elaborate set up for a joke based on a Clerks reference

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

actual jammers have been illegal, at least in the US, for basically as long as cell phones have existed. it’s the same reason you can still dial 911 from a phone with no sim card and no cell plan. if you jam phones you are potentially blocking emergency services, and that’s illegal per the communications act of 1934.

Yeah I know. But I don't live in the US, so I wondered if it was because we simply didn't have laws on it until relatively recently. But then again pirate radio was also a thing over here, so our government has been regulating spectrums since forever. Just found it weird that a government agency (which an university is, over here) would do something that blatantly violated the law, or at least pretended to.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for punishing my "stepdaughter" for a joke?

:allears:

So definitely a small penis then?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

haveblue posted:

Lmao that is the worst possible response to that joke

Well, I mean,

Desert Bus posted:

He wanted to pull it out to prove he was a man.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For Asking my kids to see their mother before she died?

That poor, poor cancer

Edit: also no dating when they were adults in their twenties? WTF? What's the end-game here? That they should just remain unmarried and living with the parents forever?

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 11, 2023

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am aware that I am making some pretty big inferences here but all of them are very possible.

The girlfriend is skittish around dogs at the best of times. So maybe there is some previous trauma there. i.e. she was bitten by a big angry dog when she was little.
She seems to be scared of the dogs owner, and also fixated on the potential conflict/consequences. So again, maybe there are traumatic past stories of abusive large tatted up men, and nasty consequences of looking at them funny in the past.
Also the whole "Don't help me /get involved without my consent." and "You are just making it difficult for me." stuff, whilst it sounds absurd the way OP tells it. It could be the result of previous escalating drama caused by well meaning outsiders.

Yes, but you could apply that logic to literally everything posted ITT.

Like maybe the cousin's SIL reacted so strongly to the white chocolate cake due to secret past traumas. Like maybe the last dessert she ever served her late mother was a white chocolate cake, and then the mother died tragically in a car accident on her way home.

You gotta take these things at face value (within reason of course), because otherwise no one would be the rear end in a top hat ever, it'd just be an unending list of past traumas.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
That's just silly. She's statistically much, much, much more likely to be murdered by the OP than some stranger across the hall.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Evil Willow posted:

AITA? My siblings and I want to keep our Christmas tradition, but our sister doesn’t want to comply.

"The only good tradition is OUR tradition. gently caress yours!"

How much you wanna bet their precious tradition is just the blandest, most white bread poo poo imaginable? Like "then we open our presents the morning after!"

It's cool if you're into that, no problem, but maybe don't be a dick to people who're not or want to do something different during the holidays.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking my daughters friend to leave my house

Eh, she's not banned from their house or prevented from meeting the daughter or anything, so whatever really. The girl was acting like a dick, and someone has to tell her at some point. Your friends' parents are not your friends, they're casual acquaintances at best. You owe them basic decency and respect, and that includes not making remarks of a sexual nature.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Dr. Stab posted:

Firstly, I choose to be gay because girls pretty. Secondly, who in their right mind would choose to be straight when you could be living that hedonistic homophile lifestyle?

As a cis-het man, I completely agree. Girls are awesome. Men are gross. I don't understand how most women can put up with men.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Captain Hygiene posted:

quote:

We did argue a bit about this, and I told her a few times to go to counselling about it, because I sincerely do not think the irritants are that big of an issue - her anxiety probably makes it worse.

Lmao, "I, just some guy, sincerely believe that she's just being dramatic," lol. What the gently caress is wrong people?

Also:

quote:

She made me feel really bad

That sense of guilty that I feel? That's your fault! How can you do this to me??!!

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

BrideOfUglycat's grandpa was immortalised when his train of though became the basis for Google's advertising algorithm.

Stop showing me ads for toasters goddam, how many goddam toasters do you think I need???

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

FMguru posted:

I posted this one some months back:

AITA for just trying to make a joke or is my friend overreacting?

Despite dozens of requests from commenters, OP pointedly refused to post the joke. OP ended up deleting all his crap, but not before taking his sob story to other forums ("ILPT Request: my bum rear end friend (ex friend) sent screenshots of me cheating on my gf to her + my boss, how can i make it seem that they’re fake?" and "[TX] someone i know sent out-of-context photos to my work and my girlfriend, what are my options?")

People who tell you that they're funny very rarely are, in my experience. And the ones who explicitly tell you that "I've a dark/sarcastic/crass sense of humour" or "I'm a smart-rear end" are the same people whose jokes most often consist of a series of slurs and a wink.

People can definitely have a dark or sarcastic or sardonic sense of humour, but those who genuinely do rarely bring it up (when was the last time you talked to someone about your sense of humour?). The bigots bring it up because they want to give themselves an out if they get pushback for their bigotry.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for Not Allowing My Brother to Host His Book Club at My House?

I don't know why, but the OP's use of "private retreat," "sanctuary," and "peaceful environment" to describe the house is giving me weird vibes. I mean a home could be all those things, I guess, but it just sounds really contrived.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
lmao imagine trying to protect your 17-yo from like the mildest scolding (e.g. "you need to apologise.") after he made fun of a family member for suffering a terrible and tragic loss.

Adult life is gonna be tough on little Tommy lol.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

to be fair, he never said what the book club was actually reading. Maybe it's something like Fight Club or Mein Kampf.

AITA For kicking my sister out for Thanksgiving dinner when she announced my pregnancy without my permission?

I come from a family who didn't care so much about the various holidays and birthdays, so YMMV, but I think it's pretty reasonable to have kicked the sister out, if that was the full extent of the OP's reaction. I'd think the OP's overacting if she breaks contact with the sister forever or something, but to be really angry for a little while? NTA IMO.

Like you're a loving adult, you can't just blurt out other people's secrets like this. It's not like she misspoke or otherwise accidentally revealed the pregnancy, she just stood up and said it out loud. It's not an acceptable form of "accident" (WTF?) for an adult to have. She's gotta learn this sooner or later.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember running into those “My child doesn’t have to apologize” kids when they get their first job and they start to learn that things like “human resources” and “getting fired” exist.

A couple of years ago, a friend/colleague of mine got an angry email from one of his student's mother, who complained that the written feedback her precious little boy received was hurtful and unhelpful (I've read it and it was nether. I guess it's very slightly harsh?). This guy was in the second or third year of university.

My friend wrote back and apologised for not being able discuss this matter with a third party, due to our school's privacy policies. He wasn't even trying to be smart, he literally wasn't allowed to discuss this with the woman, because she had no legal standing as far as the education of her adult child is concerned. This is between an adult and his university, butt out, lady!

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 22, 2023

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for calling another woman "objectively attractive" in front of my work wife?

Oh my god, just gently caress already, jesus!

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

This here is my work wife, but this is my work side piece over here because sometimes we staple stuff without the work wife knowing, and then this is my other work side piece who helps me with the garbage run but she doesn't know about the other two because I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment yet.

Also, my second side piece doesn't want her real husband to know about me being her work husband but I think he doesn't understand the depth of our relationship.

This is not to mention my many, many work one-night stands, including Susanne-whats-her-name at payroll. One time I emailed her and asked "expenses when travelling on business, that's form 17-3 right? Thanks in advance!" She emailed back 15 min later, "Yep!"

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
I'm honestly surprised that phones are still a thing that people care about? Like for some years after the first iPhone came out in 2007 I kinda felt like there was a need to upgrade every couple of years for new features, better cameras or whatever. Now I'm just like if as long as it can text, email, take okay-ish pictures, and let me browse the web and SA while I'm on the toilet, then I don't really care. And basically everyone I know is like this. A friend is still rocking a iPhone 6/7/8 (idk, but it has rounded edges and a physical home button). IIRC the reason the price of flagship phones are going up so much each year and Apple no longer publishing units of iPhones sold was because the sales of smart phones dropped off a cliff because phones are good enough nowadays and most people stopped compulsively upgrading.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Arsenic Lupin posted:

OP is pointedly ignoring all questions about who actually owns the house.

lmao okay, so the only reasonable explanation for this is that the OP and her brother actually share ownership lol.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Coca Koala posted:

drat, respect. I recently switched from an iphone x to a 15 because the battery wouldn’t last longer than a day, it couldn’t run a modern OS and so wasn’t getting updates, and it would regularly just not recognize the cell network, which meant that it couldn’t actually fulfill its function as a phone - I’m amazed your friend’s phone is still working.

lmao I'm not sure how well her phone actually works. Even her phone case is beat to poo poo with multiple cracks and barely staying on. She's a lot younger than me though (I think some kids are into this anti-consumerism thing?), and we're both weirdo lefty academics who hadn't flown for years.

My last phone was a Google Nexus 6P, the battery was so terrible by the end that just listening to Spotify and browsing SA on my 30 min commute would drain half the battery. I had to upgrade because I was doing fieldwork and had to be away from a charger for more than an hour at a time.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Noam Chomsky posted:

It’s all because of iMessage on iPhone and how if you don’t use iMessage your messages show up as green instead of blue on iMessage.

I also don’t think you can get included in iMessage group chats if you aren’t using iMessage (use an Android).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006

Kids are incredibly stupid and status obsessed.

How déclassé! How jejune!

Back in my day, we used to mercilessly bully those who lacked the most basic knowledge of the Western literary canon: "You know, À la recherche du temps perdu? Proust? The loving madeleine book? Okay whatever we're done talking."

We thought we were a group of eight-or-so lovable nerds who were obsessed with literature and artsy films and cafés and good grades, but turns out a lot of people at school hated us and thought we were nasty and aloof, just really mean and unpleasant in general. Yep, teens are assholes.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 22, 2023

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Johnny Truant posted:

drat and I thought I was lame in high school for being into anime

Japanese comics? How lame! If it's not Franco-Belgian bandes dessinées, then we were no interested! Satrapi and Jodorowsky, heard of them?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for letting my housemate eat expired food?

*eats food out of the garbage can* I can't believe you didn't move it out to the dumpster so I couldn't do that!!

I mean 5 hours doesn't feel like an insane amount of time to leave food out? I've definitely done it countless times - cook dinner, eat dinner, can't put leftover in the fridge yet because it's still hot, so I wait and put it in the fridge before I go to bed. And I don't ever remember getting sick from that. How hot is it inside their house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

AITA for essentially calling my girlfriend gross when she told me about her hygiene routine.

Eh, it obviously depends on your skin type and lifestyle, but I've known a few people over the years who showered every other or third day, and they all looked and smelled pretty much fine?

As for soap, it's pretty common at least in Asia to shower multiple times a day, most often without soap. Sometimes it's so hot and humid you just want to rinse the sweat off of your body, and you don't necessarily want to soap up three-four times a day. In Chinese it's called 冲凉.

Soap only became a thing in most places like 150-something years ago anyway. Before that people just washed with water and towel.