Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mx. posted:

AITA for getting annoyed with my friends vegan boyfriend?

lol

That man would be in a loving catapult if he tried that poo poo on me, holy gently caress. The effort it takes, nevermind the cost, of double-hosting for dietaries in absurd. I'm angry just reading that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I love the classics, but here's some actual fresh content! Whatever you think is under the spoilers, you're wrong.

My [28F] Girlfriend [30F] Is A HUGE People Pleaser and Its Ruining Our Relationship.

quote:

Hi,

My gf and I are in a serious relationship and live together. She is a huge people pleaser, at first I loved her selflessness but then as the rose colored glasses came off I realized that this is actually a fault of hers.

Here are a few examples:
  • for a whole year of our relationship, my gf woke up/stayed up every single night at 12am to pick her friend up from work because she didnt have a car, this friend rarely contributed gas money as well. Keep in mind that my gf gets up for work at 6am and has poor health so this was very disruptive for her. Our relationship suffered because this favor made my gf much more sleepy and irritable and changed her entire sleep schedule, which made us have less time together. She doesnt do it anymore because she works walking distance from her home, but its an example.
  • Another time, in the middle of us being intimate (she finished and was about to take care of me after) she checked her phone and asked if it was appropriate to drop off snacks to a friends house before we continued because her friend "didn't feel like leaving the house".

This is just the beginning and I could literally list a million situations where I have felt like I wasn't anywhere on the list of priorities but for clarity sake I will leave it at that. I have friends too and I would do almost anything for them, but nothing that would disrupt my entire life and relationship. I dont think I am a difficult person to please, but this keeps happening. I am apparently not the first girlfriend to have a problem with this and even her mom has pointed out that shes perhaps being a bit too giving.

Her friends are even quite toxic, a few of them are close with my girlfriends abusive ex. I can tell that they are using my girlfriend because she is one of the only people in her friend group that owns a vehicle. They practically treat my girlfriend as a taxi service and only want to spend time with her when it involves some type of favour and its never "hey come over to my house" its "hey can you take me to the store? oh cool you need something from there, lets run errands together all day in your car". If her friends want to do something they invite me and my gf, complain about having no money and my gf picks up the tab (keep in mind, we are both broke as hell too). Also keep in mind that these girls are in their 30's or late 20's, no offence but they should be a lot further in life than they are right now.

I dont want to be the partner who hates their girlfriends friends but some of these women are painfully obvious users. My girlfriend very much so lets them walk all over her. Its painful to watch and every time Ive ever so gently tried to bring it up it ends up in a huge fight caused by defensiveness. She constantly says "i just want everyone to be happy", but fails to realize that this philosophy is actually driving a huge wedge between us.

Sometimes I feel like leaving, often times I feel like Im the other woman and my girlfriend and I and all her friends are in some kind of hosed up unhealthy polyam relationship. I stay because I love her and every once and awhile she gives me 100% (or a healthy amount) of her attention and its wonderful. She can be an incredibly caring partner, but I see less and less of this now, and its only becoming on my birthdays or anniversaries.

TL;DR: my girlfriends friend group is toxic, they constantly use her for things like her car and money. My girlfriend is hell bent on making everyone happy but it is impacting our relationship.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Haifisch posted:

OP sucks poo poo for planning(presumably, not that it's any better if it was unplanned) a pregnancy while there's a dementia patient in the home. His wife 100% did some serious reevaluation of the situation after getting pregnant and his dumb rear end refuses to believe why it's a problem because ~she made her choice when we got married~. (she also should have done this reevaluation before getting pregnant, but better late than never)

Look: Dementia is a horrible disease and you're often between a rock and a hard place when deciding between lovely nursing homes vs the horrible soul-sucking grind of trying to take care of a loved one in your own home. It's extra horrible reading between the lines here that OP's mom likely has early onset dementia(given his age and the fact that it was a thing before he even got married), meaning they could be dealing with this for decades. But if you make the decision to bring a demented parent into your home indefinitely, you do not bring a baby into that. It's not fair to your kid or your parent.

If having his wife rent a place right next door is unironically an option, him and her should move there so they can get some space from his mom+caretaker team(and so having a new baby in the home doesn't make his mom's dementia worse, or possibly create danger for the baby because granny thinks it's her own baby/granny doesn't remember that babies don't go in the fridge/etc). Of course he's not going to, because his wife and child are obviously just an afterthought to him, and he's going to be really mystified that his kid will resent growing up in this situation. (assuming his wife doesn't divorce him first)

Small nit; mum was there first. It's not bringing dementia to a nuclear household, it's bringing a child into a multi-generational house. I'm giving OP credit for getting a caretaker asap, I kinda feel this is a NAH situation even if he's taking a assholish hardline to his wife's second thoughts (Bit loving late, isn't it?)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

therobit posted:

If paternity is established then they may have a claim.

Good news everyone! Guess who has first right of refusal to tests being done on her husband's remains? Preggo mistress better already have that paternity test certified, cuz she's probably hosed. Good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Raygereio posted:

That poster's probably an Israeli.
A jewish former GF whose marriage I got to attend had her folks show up dressed in black. They, also, did not approve of the spouse. Rings a lot of similar bells.

PetraCore posted:

I wouldn't be suuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl was a relative of one of the nerdmen, and OP didn't bring it up because he was trying to keep the impression they were grooming her. That said, I also wouldn't be suuuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl wasn't a relative and was just a high schooler who met the group through local anime conventions, in which case uuuh there need to be a lot better boundaries going on.
I also know/knew a bunch of super-nerds that sound like that group. One of them was approaching 30 and was bringing around his high school gf to university meetups. Said gf was 13 when she made a pass at me (!!), and I think they where officially together when she was ~15. Probably 16, as it's age of consent here. He had male pattern baldness by then.

I don't feel comfortable about having typed that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Kid got addicted to pain meds after being on them a long time following a serious accident, it's a known thing. If the kid was trouble for only 2 years and fine before her own graduation, it seems hard to pin the next 14 years on her.

edit: Stuff in the comments; OP's getting mad downvoted for talking back.

quote:

She didn't get grades which were good enough to go to her desired college courses, so she decided to not go at all.

I did offer her therapy, but she always refused

Except we sent Joan to rehab for more than half a year, and no, you're assuming that she made the world revolve around her, she never did. The worst things she did was the vomiting at graduation, and/or passing out at her aunt's funeral. we did our level best to contain Joan's issues to Joan and I feel like we did. When I asked Kasey why she ruined her sister's wedding she literally said "She ruined my graduation, and I never got her back".

Also, wtf is wrong with you, why on earth should I kick out an addict 14 year old, who btw is an addict through no fault of her own, because of her almost adult sister.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 23, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea my friends are actually suffering from the same thing, they told me "Betty does NOT need any more toys, please no". Small toddler got absolutely inundated by gifts small and large and the parents are physically swamped on where to fit it all. Outside toy playhouses, big bins of trucks, etc. I've gifted a few books and a coloring things which can be disposed of, but the kid is still being swamped by loot 5 years later.

It's a great problem to have, but just explaining things and saying "No gifts at all, no really, it's ok!" is probably the most good-decorum thing to ask. Cash is maybe a whoopsie.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What? Like, a lady was pumping in the middle of an exam hall? Isn't that a lot of gear to set up, nevermind the whole privacy thing?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

rotinaj posted:

Motherfucker buy your own hundred and fifty dollar steak, there is no world where that is a reasonable ask

Motherfucker read the post, his friend wanted to shell out for his own expensive steak. He's upset about being denied the opportunity to try something unique that his friend knew of but kept tight lipped about.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

rotinaj posted:

Oh look at that, you’re wrong

gently caress yourself and gently caress the guy who got all pissy that his friend didn’t buy him a $150 steak, even if he would then pay the OP some pittance

...are you reading what you're quoting? at all?

" and he said if i told him i was going to pick the Kobe that he'd also want that and pay the difference back "

Like, go through that slowly and mouth the words out loud. Friend said he wanted to pay the difference and have the more expensive steak, friend was not asking OP to cover the Kobe gratis.

Paaaay the diiiifference baaaaaack

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kenshin posted:

He said that after they had eaten the meal. It was a post-meal argument. He didn't tell him that beforehand.

The complete doofus sat through the entire meal without saying anything to the OP and only afterwards was like "you shamed me!" He didn't even ask for a bite!

Oh yea, friend is totally doof for stewing, much like how OP is a goof for not mentioning what was going on. Classic young 20's communication stuff, much ado about little.

My derail with this other poster is about them having skimmed the post and misconstrued an important point, kinda like people who miss the huge blaring M/F labels.

edit:

Zurtilik posted:

I [29M] am having difficulty playing boyfriend of instagram for my GF [30F].
Oh gawd. Oh lawd almighty.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 27, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nothing too spicy here, but I got a good guffaw at the spoilered part. The first post was just him sending flowers after talking to her on the phone.

[UPDATE] A client(23/24M) sent flowers and chocolate for me(19F) to my work. I’m not sure how to respond or what’s appropriate

quote:

So it was indeed a romantic gesture. I come in later for work and he had left a message asking me to a local flower garden show.

He came in the next day (yes he came in two days in a row to see if he could catch me) and we managed to meet for the first time. He told me that he was “surprised to find out” that I’m black. Which wasn’t weird because the insurance agency I work for specifically has a strong tie to the Polish community so he also rightfully assumed I was also Polish. He then said that I speak surprisingly eloquently.

Sorry, but saying that as a follow up to finding out that I’m black is about one of the stupidest things you could say.

I promptly rejected him and that’s the end of that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Goddamn, breaking up with your boyfriend at age 19 since he's not earning enough. Woof, where even to begin?

I'm gonna go with: That girl better look absolutely stunning in a ballgown, if that's her plan in life.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's also very normal not to have a kettle in the US, especially since electric ones are less efficient on lower voltages.

Nobody is ever going to convince me boiling water in the microwave doesnt get identical results without requiring a separate appliance.

Let's put it this way: putting the kettle on for tea makes you cultured, even if it's an electric kettle. Microwaving any foodstuff makes you a philistine, even if it's just water.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Uni boy who bought a tesla at age 23 disgusted to find out that gf is rich, also.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's like the platonic ideal of ESH, I'm amazed.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
This is only one eighth of the post, I cut it off in what I felt is a good spot:

How do I [30 M] handle the horrible relations between my wife [30 F] and my mother [50s F] after several lovely things my mother has done

quote:

My wife and I have been together 11 years, married 6. Things have always been pretty shaky between her and my mom.

My mom have many toxic traits. She is quick to forget anything anyone does for her, but remembers every favor she did for them, and subtlety holds it over their head when she needs help with someone. She is quick to anger if she feels any form of disobedience or disagreement from anyone that she feels is beneath her (her children, employees, service employees, etc.). Early in our relationship (10 years ago), my mother had a meltdown while drunk over me not taking care of some chore fast enough, wife (then girlfriend) stood in my defense and my mom verbally and physically attacked her. I moved out and cut communication to near 0 for the next several years. Mother apologized (while never admitting to physically hitting wife) and asked for a second chance years later. We decided to give her another chance and things were fine for a long time.

[snip]

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
First hit on google:
https://www.askamanager.org/2017/09/update-my-companys-accountant-is-nitpicking-my-pretty-frugal-travel-expenses.html

quote:

update: my company’s accountant is nitpicking my pretty frugal travel expenses
by Alison Green on September 21, 2017

Remember the letter last month from the person whose company accountant was nitpicking his travel expenses in the most ridiculous way? If you didn’t read the comments, you missed this insane detail from the letter writer: “Actual comment at the last checkin with Bob, regarding a ~$12 tab at Chipotle: ‘Ordering extra guacamole is wasteful of member dues.'”

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pomme de Terror posted:

Love a happy ending :allears:

WIBTA for leaving my job after a manager told me im just a lowly employee who can be replaced?

STDH. Or at the very least, OP is a loving moron who's misinterpreted everything. By teen witch's decree, I'm gonna back this up with having lived with my father's business of being hotelier for ~40 years, ~20 of which where as a GM. Multinational one, big things, but even for some tiny lovely roadside motel it'll be the same. That, and being a functional adult being that's worked in a business before, I guess?

An accountant is absolutely a valid way of working your way up into higher management (as is F&B, etc). But the GM role, and the #2, oversees a lot of poo poo. If you've spent 3 months doing nothing but accounting, you're a fuckin' accountant and nobody's grooming you for poo poo. It's not even maliciousness from being hired with a bait&switch, because if that was so you'd clue in after a week of night duties. The most absolutely generous interpretation of the OP is that they where hired for their role and made some side comment of "Oh hey, looks like there's an opening of top tog, that'd be great!" while the interviewer nods on, then when it's brought up 3 months later she gets laughed at, so the OP runs off to the internet to twist everything. Like that GM role is still open, who are the people holding things together? Not the OP, she has no idea what's going on up there. And that's the generous interpretation - this is all assuming it's not some poor effort bandwagon of reddit's recent theme of writing stories of workers telling off their bosses and walking out while everyone claps.

Oh and I just noticed the age. 23 y/o being hired as a GM, suuuuuure.

edit: beaten, so bad. goddamnit.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 3, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ponzicar posted:

:eng101: There is actually an established body of law about the fruit tree issue: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usufruct

I think the 'issue' with the fruit tree isn't that the public are allowed access to it, it's that the landowner is told they are responsible for a thing's maintenance, but can make no claims (apart from those available to the general public) on it. All stick, no carrot. We have the same here where people are responsible for keeping their grass verge trimmed and looking nice or facing a fine, but you sure as gently caress can't put anything on that verge or the city will remove it. They're all just ways of local councils making everything worse to save a buck, with the added bonus of having lovely unmaintained public areas when owners go AWOL.

Lady's pissed that she had to take care of something then realize it was all for naught. I would be too if it was a whole fuckin' tree instead of a few seconds extra of lawnmowing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bug Squash posted:

I had a cat that definitely had something wrong with its brain. We called it feline autism, as he just couldn't understand the body language or actions of other cats. They could be hissing or trying to square up to him and he was just confused. Managed to survive regardless by virtue of being the largest moggie anyone had ever seen. Just lived for hunting though, and took out hares and herring gulls. I once saw him try and stalk a cow, but quickly worked out that was a bad idea when the cow started trying to sniff and paw at him.

Oh my god, it's a real-life example of this scene, where your cat honestly judged it wrong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMiKyfd6hA0

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

teen witch posted:

Also starting to think “I know how this sounds but hear me out” needs to be on this thread’s coat of arms.

Ummm, really? I mean.... it's the disclaimer put at the front of explicitly fictional stories on throwaway accounts.

I know the IK decree is not to contest things so I just ignore those submissions here, but really. It's... not subtle.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
From a different place on reddit, 'no stupid questions':

Grandma died but grandpa doesn't know. Should we tell him?

quote:

My grandma died 2 days ago, she was 74. Her funeral was yesterday. My grandpa, who is 89 and her husband, is immobilised in bed and also very sick.

My mum (their daughter) thinks she shouldn't tell my grandpa that his wife died, because that would break him and it would accelerate his death. My grandpa had a stroke many years ago and now he complains of 'a constant pain in the chest'. He also has a very bad cough.

However, I feel like it is his right to know his wife of so many years died. Do you think we should tell him?

EDIT: I marked this post as answered, I got the general idea everyone has. I am already broken after my grandma’s death, so hearing people calling my family “deranged” or calling my mum a “oval office”, “bitch” is honestly enough. Life is not black and white. This is a much more complicated situation than it seems. I appreciate the kind and actually helpful comments that I got though! No need to comment anymore.

EDIT 2: Do people get their awards back if a post is deleted?

Goddamn, that's cold.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think it's safe to separate the art from the artist in that case, as the works show no taint of their evils. Know what they did before or after the reading doesn't add any new insights into the work, fortunately. Those two are simmering in a warm place while kids get to read cool stories and not think twice about it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

loddite posted:

some nonsense

Wrong thread.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Bringing your own favorite bottle of cheap piss to someone's house is 100% OK. I don't do it myself, I'm usually the guy hosting the fancy party, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with people sticking with their preferred flavour of poison in a genre of acquired tastes.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Gadzuko posted:

AITA for getting frustrated with my boyfriend for implying I don't deserve to make the money I make?

The evergreen advice that actually applies to both parties in this situation:
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112?lang=en

Hello there, I'm a super driven under-30 women who's elbowed her way up a high-powered STEM field, earned the respect of her peers, and negotiates ruthlessly. Also, my boyfriend had a boo-boo and I have no interpersonal conflict skills, so of course I shall need your help with this, reddit...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Neito posted:

Why is "Give me your kid" such a common thing? Like, I can understand "Give me your car", I can almost understand "Give me your house", but "Give me your kid" is just insane to me. It's probably because I see a kid as a human being with a soul and a connection and a thing that loves and can be loved, and the real answer is "You're not a psychopath who views kids as a checklist item and property at best", but loving hell.

Reddit moves in big fashionable waves, if someone posts a mundane thing that does well (eg 'I found a cat, what shall I name him guys?' or 'I just quit my job and told off my boss') there'll be a surge of copycats with variable quality/effort. These relationship subforums -AITA especially- have their local writer's lobby that are always hard up for inspiration, might as well poach someone else's topic.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pretty sure toxic work environments foster all sorts of opportunities for metaphorical backstabbing. For the literal sort you'd need a wedding.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Arsenic Lupin posted:

FTFY. For an undergrad to make trouble for a senior professor in her department while she's still in his department is extremely dangerous. Academia is vicious. There was a story just last week that the woman who created the mRNA virus pissed off her research supervisor by taking another job, so he called the INS to try to get her deported.

I'm not saying "don't report", I'm saying that reporting isn't an automatic win for the reporter.

She's 20, and an undergrad. Most tutors that I know of tend to be graduates or at least reasonably seasoned in the field, so I think it's safe to say that she's not currently on a career path other than what her degree might get her.

gently caress that professor, burn dem bridges you'd never have crossed.

And the thing is, all she wanted to do was walk away from a guy who took rejection too hard, but everyone keeps chasing back up to her and stirring up more poo poo. Imbeciles.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oh gently caress I hate math.
AITA for yelling at my MIL in front of our family when she tried to convince me to have a gender reveal party even when I explicitly said I didn't want one?

Search engines are absolutely refusing to find this hit so I can't look it up myself, but how exactly does the family know about a pregnancy that fast? Even if you assume the absolute worst about everything the timing doesn't make much sense. And referring to the infant as X months instead of Y weeks makes me question its validity tbqh

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ah yea they're calling that out in the comments too, looks like it got punted off of the various first pages via downvotes.

She clarifies that the 2mo is closer to 3mo... except that 16 days ago she refers to the infant as 1mo. Lol how hard is it to keep your story straight, drat.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not sourced from the usual places, but it fits a staple we know:

https://www.richmondshiretoday.co.uk/grandmother-issued-with-restraining-order-to-stop-feeding-carrots-to-sad-horse/

quote:

Grandmother issued with restraining order to stop feeding carrots to “sad” horse

November 18, 2021 Kevin Donald News 0
Margaret Porter and Nelson the horse. Photos: Glen Minikin

A court has imposed a restraining order to protect a retired racehorse from the unwanted attentions of a grandmother who refused to stop feeding him carrots.

In a ruling rarely – if ever – passed by a British court, the horse was afforded legal protection from over-feeding after prosecutors made the application to magistrates on his behalf.

Margaret Porter, 67, from Northallerton Road, Leeming Bar, thought Nelson the chestnut gelding was “sad looking” and came to the view that he was under-fed so began giving him carrots despite being explicitly asked not to by his owner Suzanne Cooke, 50.

What began as a “laudable” effort in Nelson’s interest quickly became a campaign of harassment against him and Mrs Cooke, which saw the police called three times and the RSPCA once.

Mrs Porter was arrested and on Thursday faced court for the second time in her life. The first was in 2005 when she was convicted of assaulting her brother with three sticks of rhubarb in an unrelated family spat.

York magistrates heard the dispute over Nelson’s carrots had become the talk of the village of Scruton, on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales, with the parish council asked to intervene in the increasingly bitter feud.

Mrs Porter told the court how she first became involved after passing Nelson’s paddock on the edge of the village.

She said: “I saw him standing outside his stables and I thought he looked quite sad.

“I didn’t examine the horse but I noticed him. The fields were frozen at the time and there was snow on the ground. I passed six or seven times a day and didn’t see his owner with him once.

“He looked thin and I began speaking to people about my concerns in the hope someone would take it on board and try and get her to look after the horse properly. I was getting quite distressed about the situation.

“I decided to give him a few carrots at the fence, it never occurred to me that anyone else would be bothered about that, I just didn’t want him starving to death.”
Nelson the retired racehorse was fed carrots. Photo: Glen Minikin.

Mrs Porter continued feeding Nelson, which came to Mrs Cooke’s notice when she realised there were dozens of carrot tops lying in his field.

She picked them up in a bucket and took Mrs Porter to task, pointing out that there was a sign on the fence asking people not to feed him.

To her dismay Mrs Porter took no notice and continued to sneak carrots to Nelson, who willingly trotted over to the fence to receive them.

Mrs Cooke told the court: “On February 13th this year I was going to my horse when I saw Mrs Porter’s car parked up. She was throwing food into the field and the horse came over.

“I opened the car window and said “why are you feeding my horse? Do you realise what you are doing? You could poison my horse or give it colic and make it ill.”

“She replied: “you can ring the police, I’m not bothered.”

“I am tired of this happening and worried that she may make my horse ill, I don’t know what she is giving it.”

To her horror an RSPCA inspector then called at her house to tell her he was carrying out a welfare check on Nelson.

The inspector quickly realised that not only was he being well looked after, he was in peak condition having competed three times in professional horse races.

Mrs Cooke was in no doubt who had reported her and had become increasingly angered by Mrs Porter’s gossiping to villagers, which continued despite the RSPCA’s clean bill of health.

Trevor Howe, a parish council stalwart of 40 years, gave evidence to say Mrs Porter began called him around 10 times insisting the horse wasn’t well.

He said: “I did not have any concerns about the horse but she must have rang at least 10 times about its welfare, repeating the fact it was under-fed.”

Mrs Cooke felt she had no option but to call the police and Mrs Porter was eventually arrested, first appearing in court in April when she denied a charge of harassment.

After hearing both sides of the argument on Thursday magistrates found her guilty.

Presiding magistrate Hilary Fairwood said: “In the first instance her conduct could be considered laudable in that she truly believed she was trying to prevent the neglect of the horse.

“However after the RSPCA visit and police intervention she continued despite being explicitly told the RSPCA had no concerns whatsoever.

“Her conduct was not reasonable and we find her guilty of the charge.”

Mrs Fairwood said it was necessary to impose a restraining order for the protection of Nelson.

Addressed to the defendant, it reads: “You must not put food in the field for the horse and must not interfere with the horse in any way.”

Further to that she must not approach Mrs Cooke or attend her home, which is directly across the road from hers.

After the hearing Mrs Porter said: “It all seems to ridiculous to be taken to court for giving a horse a few carrots but at least I got to have my say and they didn’t send me to jail.”

Mrs Cooke said: “I’m very glad the court passed the order to keep her away from Nelson for his sake.

“He’s a thoroughbred horse and he’s very well looked after, exercised and fed, he’s a wonderful horse and very much loved by me and my son.

“This has gone on for a year now and it has caused so much stress and upset for me, it has had the whole village, where I’ve lived very happily for eight years, talking about me.

“She went out to cause as much difficulty as possible for no good reason. It was horrifying to have the RSPCA called out to do a welfare inspection on Nelson, it made me feel terrible.”

In his racing days Nelson was based at Middleham.

His racing name was You’redoingwell, however after three winless races his trainer didn’t agree and he was put out to pasture, being snapped up three years ago by Mrs Cooke.

In March 2005, Northallerton magistrates heard Mrs Porter lost her temper after her estranged brother, William, laughed at her while driving past in his Land Rover in Askrigg, Wensleydale.

She flung three sticks of rhubarb from her cottage window, catching him in the right eye with one of them.

The court ordered Porter to do 40 hours’ community service and barred her from entering property belonging to her son, with whom she had also fallen out.

Imagine going through an entire goddamn court case and conviction, and still lying to yourself that hard. Very strong estranged parents vibe.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Adults who gently caress teenagers are weird, but teenagers wanting to gently caress each other is extremely normal, and not being able to seal the deal with at least one other teenager before you turn 20 is a red flag.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Boom, 90% laid before 22.

So I repeat, if you haven’t had sex at 21, you are an outlier. If you are 25-30 there’s something wrong, and people will wonder what.

This annoys me greatly. I mean, besides the whole moving goalposts thing (5% @ 20 is a red flag (when it's actually a 3:1 split, oh whooooops) to 22 is the red flag, when its still 9:1) , there's the whole comical thing of trying to label 1/10th of a population's curve as outliers. 10% Does not make you an outlier for *anything* pop-metrics related. Blood types B+ and O- are each 10% locally, home owners-by-age, marriage rates, multifamilial homes, cultural norms, the list goes on forever. I've pinged a family member who's a professional in the field for her opinion on it, I'm willing to wager that its much less than 1:20.

Meantime, who the gently caress is shaming people in this day and age for being 'leftovers'? Clearly, there must be something wrong with them! That was sarcasm, by the way.

edit: Goddamn this thread moves fast, I really need to scroll forward a lot before responding to things. Good to see multiple people dunking on him.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 20, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for standing up for my girlfriend when she didn't like my mom's joke, even though I didn't get the issue?

Mom sounds like total grief to have to know, yet somehow is completely in the right. Well perhaps not in the way she raised her son, he's a dolt.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Beachcomber posted:

However "You ruined my wedding." isn't really a joke, it's just abuse.

What?! Bride made no comments about gf's appearance, gf unprompted brought it up, bride made a dismissive joke that was interpreted by all present as being facetious.

If the bride has responded with "Who cares, forget about it!" would the accusation be she's dismissing the concerns of others, and gaslighting? If you go looking for abuse you'll find it everywhere.

That point that's brought up often is bang-on here: This version of events (assuming true, yadda yadda) written by the OP paints them in the most flattering light. He and his gf still come off as self-centered navel-gazers trying to find umbrage at normal conversation. And that's before the whole "chasing down people on their honeymoon so you can start petty fights" thing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Brawnfire posted:

My mom and dad always had paired recliners and my dad's always ended up way shittier-looking in a much shorter timespan

Maybe they're like my siblings?

My sister and her husband bought their own vanity chairs when furnishing their home, she got a lovely leather & metal aviator chair that looks spectacular in the living room, he got himself a recliner next to a bookshelf. Sister realized that the recliner is top notch and kept stealing it to his annoyance, so she ended up getting her own to match. Except hers isn't as nice, so she keeps using his when he's not in it.

Sometimes you just can't win.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Nooner posted:

Go back to reddit

oi oi oi oi mate, E/N predates reddit by miles I'm sure. Next you'll be trying to act all hoity-toity cuz someone used a smilie -I beg your pardon- emoticon in their post. Know your flavours of trash, and take pride in which one you are!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm not gonna post the whole transcripts here since it's long and not really a trashfire, but just more of a story of a woman getting out of a bad situation.

6 years ago:
Me [31F] with my husband[37 M] 5 years, wants me to pay for his residency applications.

Today:
Update 6 Years later

quote:

[...]
My mother is very smart, she told me to get the locks changed that very night. I changed them. He tried to come back the next day, but his keys didnt work.
[...]
My divorce was about 4 years ago. In those 4 years :
I went to canada, and japan
I paid down my mortgage from 300-175k
I completely renovated my house. With him, my walls and floors were cracked. I spent about 30k renovating the house. Skimcoat, paint, pavers in the yard, i have pictures and curtains on the wall now. My house looks like its from a magazine.
I passed my CPA exam, and am a manager at a major cpa firm now. with him, I was constantly losing jobs at lovely firms.
My salary went from 91-140k
I started taking pride in my appearance, and wearing makeup and got invisalign. I still have a weight problem which I am now focusing on reducing.
I am really into gardening. with him,I was struggling to survive, but now, I have time to think about the future and have hobbies. I grow tulips, grapes, roses, berries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Its poorly disguised bait.

Why yes, a woman who is around 40 years old totally writes like that, and is confused why a half million dollars being retracted on a whim is upsetting.