Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

They are all intentionally ignoring the overwhelming examples and evidence that say otherwise lol. It's goons being goons. The emulator is in a really unacceptable state in its current form.

oh yeah I remember those fake made-up screenshots, that poo poo was really great "evidence"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Why are there three people online in a 1 person game?

Probably the same reason the same 3 people seem to have lovely internet providers. Bad decision making skills

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo is always doing poo poo like this under the hood.

To this day there are people who actually believe SNES-SImCity has 2000 maps saved on that tiny cartridge and think the reason the game needs 14 seconds to load a map is "game is old".

In truth SimCity has 2000 seeds saved on the cartridge and when you select a map, the loving procedural generator Nintendo put inside generates the entire map from that seed. That's the reason the game needs so long to show the map: The map isn't loaded, until you enter a number, the map simply doesn't exist, it's just a number!

All just to prevent 2000 actual maps bloating up the cartridge.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

It feels wrong to be taking such glee in this. I am totally sympathetic to finding out a game isn't what you expected (Golden Sun 3: "surely THIS time they'll have a complete game, the Gamestop clerk who sold it to me promised"), but it's a completely different series which has had four other games so folks should have known.

People have known. Game reviewers aren't people, though

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's finally SMT season.

:lol:

To be fair, I was waffling a bit about buying another game this month, but this is basically a certificate of excellence as far as I'm concerned. I'm slowly raising priority from "probably Christmas?" to "Day-One Buy!" for SMT V

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

are DQ-nerds just mad that people know what final fantasy is, unlike DQ

because final fantasy is by far the best possible comparison point for DQ

I wholeheartedly agree, this comparison makes complete and total sense

Edit:

Andrast posted:

It is.

They very similar series

:frogout:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

and that's fine? there's a reason persona is much more popular than smt

mostly thing seems like people desperately trying to dunk on reviewers for having pretty reasonable opinions

nice try Mr. Video Game Reviewer, but your mask is slipping

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

sometimes a game falls down on its own merits and people illustrate that by comparing the game's failings to games that are better

when a platformer sucks and somebody compares it to a good platformer, that is not the same as refusing to evaluate it on its own merits

i havent read the reviews or played the games so can't say whether the reviewers are being dumb or not. on the one hand, game reviewers are frequently dumb, but on the other hand people who get mad at game reviewers frequently are as well

ive never played an smt game. i liked p4 golden. ill probably give it a shot, but probably not at $60 cause its almost certain i wont be able to devote jrpg levels of time to it. but when its $15 or $20 ill prob give it a shot!

:yeah:

Uh.. I would be careful with that decision. I've tried games from both series and I really liked SMT and coouldn't really get into Persona. If you liked P4 there's a good chance SMT V will work on you like holy water on a vampire.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Walla posted:

That's not true. The last 2 mainline games were on the 3DS, as well as a number of spin offs. Plenty of Nintendo players are familiar with SMT.

Yeah, I mean that's how I stumbled into the series. I saw one day the DS-version of Strange Journey and was like "SMT? Like that SNES-game?" I just had to know what that game was about, and liked it so much I later re-bought the remaster for my 3DS.

Hell, if it came out again for Switch, I would buy it a third time, just so my character, secret agent John Geary, could travel to Antarctica to unravel demonic mysteries again

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

SMT is the Dark Souls of Persona

Nah, SMT is the Dark Souls of Pokemón

Edit:

gently caress, how can so many people all have the same bad idea at once???

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It hurts my hands after an hour or so and I have tiny hands.

Pro controller is much more comfortable.

Ah, I was wondering why you had problems, but that explains it. My own hands are fairly big and this is probably why I can hold my Switch for 3+ hours without getting more uncomfortable then slightly sweaty hands.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What would be the top 5 SNES JRPG's that aren't Chrono Trigger?

Like I'm not talking about it when talking Final Fantasy, but CT is a class of its own.

Excluding CT, my top five SNES-RPGs would be:

1.) Lufia II
2.) Secret of Mana
3.) Terranigma
4.) Illusion of Time
5.) Breath of Fire II

Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy V and a couple others would be part of the list if this were a top ten, I'm just not listing them because it's the top 5!!!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

I completed lufia 1 but lufia 2 bored me really fast with its ridiculously high encounter rate, so I'll politely ask you to argue for it.

Never played terranigma, I'll have to look that one up

Lufia 2 has a zero encounter rate, as all enemies are there on the battlefield. If you walk into everyone instead of paralyzing them with your arrows, that's on you (though I liked the battle system enough I still tried to kill everything, it's just that I could just walk away if fatigue set in)

Lufia 1 never came out in Germany, and if you play Lufia 2 first it just looks like an uglier, worse version of Lufia 2 so you can't really get into it anymore

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 7, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zurtilik posted:

I honestly am not even sure I played Secret of Evermore.

Oh, I loved that game! I smashed everything with huge flying fists anytime I could and ground a lot of alchemical substances to feed my fist addiction

Ironically I bought Secret of Evermore because I thought it had something to do with Secret of Mana. It has not. Oops. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Postman posted:

Are there any versions that don't have Psyduck?

Some have Enton instead

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hell, I'm not even getting the normal physical edition. I really underestimated the German love for weird JRPGs, it seems. Four shops sold out so far, two still on my list.

If this doesn't work out, i guess I will suck it up and buy digital instead

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

I wonder if future patches will improve performance though it really feels like the switch is really struggling to run this between sluggish menu and battle/overworld transitions and panning the camera feeling all sorts of jank

Huh. Did not notice this at all and I'm playing handheld. Everything runs smooth as butter. Odd.

Now Astria Ascending, that's a game that runs not very well. (Combat and exploration are mostly OK, but AA hurls chunks every time you go into the menus.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Really? It isn't hitting a steady 30 FPS on my OLED switch in handheld and it looks pretty blurry / ugly compared to docked.

I think the size of the world justifies the performance and it's an RPG so it's fine but just try to do any fast movements and move the camera quickly in the overworld. I'm seeing a bit of stutter.

Docked is a little bit better n the models are marginally improved. Basically it looks like all the gameplay previews / footage was in docked mode so the handheld graphics threw me off at first. Pop in is also not great, but I think that can't really be helped

Also, I'm not sure if the transition when exiting a menu or a battle is deliberately slow and animated to look like it chokes up for just a tiny second, or if that's the game actually loading

It feels overall slightly less snappy than nocturne which while that's so much older game, It was also criticized for poor optimization

I don't play docked so I can't really compare. Also sadly my eyes had multiple laserings over the last month and are still not done, so comparing slightly different levels of blur is straight out for the foreseeable future anyway. Stutter is something I definitely haven't seen so far. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chris Chichester posted:

I discovered this game via this thread. It’s great!

I'm looking at this and I'm confused. Is it an RPG or more like Animal Crossing or something?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Playing through SMTV having never played an SMT or Persona in my life before. I hosed around for ages before getting to the first boss and it still felt super overtuned, but hey I beat it on my second attempt so maybe that's just how bosses are.

Then I lost an hour of progress getting ganked by a trash encounter right as I was about to touch a save point. It's been a while since I've played a game without generous checkpointing.

game cool so far

It's important to remember re: trash mobs that you can just no-sell a dangerous fight if there is at least one demon in that group you already have. Then you can talk to them, they'll all high-five your party and go home, end of fight. Nice if you get surrounded or if your way forward is clogged by too many encounters for your taste. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

Closer to Zelda 2 or Shantae

ah got it, well it looked nice but wrong genre for me

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ugh no, I hate this crap. Sorry, that's not for me. This fake retro 8bit-artstyle just looks horrible to me. :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Welp I got to the second boss and either this game expects me to grind my rear end off or there's some trick to preventing enemies from taking the protagonist from full health to 0 in a single turn. I got an item to block force attacks, but you can only bring three of those to a fight. I got some sidequests I've been putting off so we'll see if those are any help.

To point out an example, when I had trouble with a stronger-then-normal midboss vomited out by the second red cancer globe, I stun-locked her for 4+ turns with sleep, and also reduced her hit- and evasion-chances with some spells my demons had on hand. Being able to charm and hitting like a truck didn't help her at all.

So I suggest trying some status-effects, see if the boss has some weakness, etc.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

Which Demon would you go on a road trip with? I’d of course choose Mothman

My current favorite is Cait Sith, simply because that fucker managed to fake me out twice before joining the party. At first I didn't now that fucker would sometimes ask for money (repeatedly) at the start of a battle, so I misjudged this little highway robber as someone eager to join me and gave him 1k of my early game money, only for him to be really thankful and ending the battle.

But because he "let me get away" the encounter was still there and of course one stab later, the fucker was back again asking for more money. :shepface:

The second time we had a nice, philosophical discussion which ended with, "hey, I think you're a swell dude, no reason to fight" (paraphrased) and then he walked off instead of joining, leaving me to fight the rest of the battle minus one enemy.

On the third attempt he shook me down like the rat bastard he is, but eventually did join. The balls of that cat are literally Jupiter-sized! :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
SMT V update!

I've finally made it to the first boss and beyond! More demons to collect! Gotta catch' em all!!!

Ahem. Great fun so far. Though it's typically me that I spend so much time exploring, recruiting, fusing and sidequesting that I was strong enough to take down the first boss in one go, which apparently is not normal in a Shin Megami Tensei game?

Due to a funny misunderstanding, I faced the boss with my planned strengths and weaknesses reversed from what I actually needed, but I also went into the battle with two healers, the two characters with the most glaring weakness also had strong magic attacks corresponding to the boss' weakness and by pure chance the boss was also weak against the status effect one of my demons could cause. Sleep.

There's something deeply hilarious of watching a giant monster sitting there and taking a snooze mid-battle, while my party was using the suddenly free turns to heal up and re-fill their MP. My mermaid even managed to do the same thing again during the battle, gifting us another reprise from the endless barrage of AOE-attacks.

A couple turns were chancy, but thanks to sleep allowing me to refill my healers mid-battle, we eventually won the damage race!

Now next time I should probably listen better to an important NPC telling me boss weaknesses, instead of hoping I accidentally have the right skills on hand after blundering into the boss battle. :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

"Well, these collectables in SMT V are well hidden but I have 33 and I'm pretty sure I've only missed a couple."
*buys location of the rest on minimap*
"Does this show ones I already found? Oh. Oh no."

LOTS of nooks and crannies and places you think you looked but didn't.

Yesterday I found three of the little guys and two more treasure crystals just trying to reach a visible one on top of a ruined building

There was a lot stuffed inside that building :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

Hyrule caused the calamity. The calamity ganon appeared due to an emperical focus on power and a real lack of wisdom. It's not interesting if the big angry cloud of gas doesn't represent anything wrong with Hyrule.

And hey, how's this: At the beginning of the game a ghost tells you to save Hyrule. You see a lot of ruins, but the people mostly seem ok. Did Link actually see a ghost? Did Hamlet?

you see poo poo like monsters hunting down a traveling couple, did you play the game with your eyes closed?

that's not OK, really rather the opposite if I have to brain some dorkmons with a big stick to prevent an innocent couple from being absolutely bodied

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

Why is "Evil Hyrule Castle" such a popular recurring final dungeon?

evil misunderstood "evil rulez", apparently, so they're always drawn to the castle

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The United States posted:

"Hey guys maybe Hyrule is at least as evil as most historical monarchies" has been kicking around the Zelda canon since at least Ocarina of Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdNXTpgTqZ8

I don't know why, but this "Is X evil instead of not evil?"-thing seems so utterly banal and pointless to me. I can't even make fun of it, it's so deeply unfunny it sucks down all humor around it, too

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

ok that makes sense. the first panel is still confusing then. is it before he became a ghost. or are they hanging out in some kind of meta bar where video game characters hang out even if they're ghosts.

you know, to help you out in the future, long-running comics often have this weird thing where your best chance to understand them is to go back to the first strip and read all of them in sequence as fast as possible

you should do that, that'll probably clear up any confusion!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

I had to Google what "humanity" was.

:allears: out of context this is really funny

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

The physical vs digital debate is boring and interminable and is why I suggested to the new Switch owner they should go for a mix.

I use both! This means regardless which side wins, I'm on the side of the winner! Muhahahaha :getin:

OK, joking aside, I have a nice plastic card case that holds up to 24 cards, which is enough to carry all games I ever wanted to play (from the important ones I have in physical form) the 69+ digital ones I also own represent a nice back-up in case I manage to forget to pack the case, since it's a separate thing from my actual Switch-case. The best of both worlds!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my favorite cart is Witcher 3 because dang they really fit the whole game on that thingy

that's progress for you

I'm still amazed every time I look at my smartphone and suddenly realize that this thing is more powerful than the old PC I had up to 2017

though comparing my ancient GBA and its cartridges to a SNES is also fun, playing the port of a SNES game on a tiny GBA-cartridge on the go was a lot of fun back in the day

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

don't forget, there is a tetris 99 maximus cup for a mario party skin this weekend

oh this reminds me, go play Dr. Mario 64 people, it's astonishingly fun!

also I suck so bad at it, Game Over at level 3, :lol:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

if you have a hackable switch and aren't interested in hacking it, just sell it

they're still worth quite a bit

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=unpatched+switch&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

what does "unpatched" mean in this context? a switch that wasn't connected to the internet since 2017??

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

it means it's an early hardware revision - those early switches have an exploit that cannot be patched by nintendo, so it doesn't matter what firmware they're on

many original grey-box switches are unpatched, but red-box, switch lite and OLED models are all patched

https://ismyswitchpatched.com/

Oh thanks, I have to look into that. I was contemplating buying an OLED, but owning two Switches seemed a bit redundant. Selling my old one and buying a new OLED-one seems like a workable solution though with my 2017-Switch

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

There is nothing “cool” about Golf, lmao

Excuse me? Golf in winter is very cool. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

hmm

ah

Holy poo poo, if this game made you stop playing Switch that hard, it must be the worst game ever made. Is it really so bad that you couldn't stand touching your Switch anymore?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

It's okay. I got the joke.

Thank you. I was slowly dying inside with every serious answer

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Full list if anyone's curious:

Sea of Stars- JRPG throwback by Messenger people. Looks very good and the music is clearly good. Somehow a prequel. Holiday 2022

Aliisha 3D puzzle platformer? Looks fine. Motion controls and touch screen. It's been a while we've seen that I think. Probably won't bother. Spring 2022

Loco Motive Point and click adventure. Looks cute and quirky if you like the genre. Murder mystery on a train. Summer 2022

River City Girls 2 Beat 'em Up. Looks smooth. I suppose they would've addressed critiques?

Those sound all interesting! I'll keep a look out on those. Also :lol:. I already have the first part of River City Girls. I guess I better try beating it again before the series gets to double-digits

KingSlime posted:

Conservative propaganda in video games is never just a troll, buddy

Like haha check out this hateful and actively harmful rhetoric that we put in here for a joke lol we are such scamps!!

This entire scenario sounds more like a dumb, edgy attempt at humor to me. I mean, you'd have to be a legit lunatic to look at a NPC annoying you with insane rants and go "Yeah, that dumbass-fake shopkeeper sounds like I should build my real life around"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

You're overthinking their intentions though I didn't help with the word propaganda. It's more of a nod imo. The goal isn't to radicalize people via an obscure indie game, someone over there just wants to let their audience know that they like jp/agree with his rhetoric

It's not really funny enough to be "edgy" then again I remember that game did have pretty terrible dialogue so maybe I'm the one overthinking a lovely non joke

by that logic every goon posting john galt speech is actually agreeing with john galt

that seems very dumb

even dumber than that unknown NPC-programmer, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Barreft posted:

There's a *lot* of platforming in SMTV's overworld. I'm lvl 40 and 15 hours in and haven't seen a dungeon yet I think?

:allears: Oh, this is just precious.

*Me, playing Etrian Odyssey: Weird, 20+ hours in and 10+ levels down, and I haven't seen a single dungeon so far*