Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That answers the question about the leader of the firelights.

Also this show is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirSamVimes posted:

Riot's started doing this thing where they take indie developers and say "Hey, make a game using our IP, here's a bunch of money and the voice actors for whichever characters you're using"

Actually just a small correction here:

They made a publishing front called Riot Forge and essentially said "If you have an idea for a game in our universe utilizing our characters let's talk" and then let the studios approached them. They answered this somewhere in an AMA or on a FAQ and I could be wrong but I think it's real neat.

I actually had a chance to go through this thread a little bit more and I don't really want to call anyone out and I don't want to point fingers but there is some terminally online discussions going on in a way that I've only seen in progressive Twitter spheres. Where it's essentially communication in which way no actual human would have a normal conversation about and like I said before that's not an attack and is not meant to offend but sometimes when you are that much online you begin to fixate and hyper-focus on details. In short you essentially become a hammer and everything you see in context turns to nails.

For example: During episode 1 when it's playing the playground song and you see not-badger from Breaking Bad make eye contact with the old yordle it wasn't a "ew trans" panic type of joke. The scene hangs just enough for the yordle to make a look prior to the transisition of the scene and the response to the 13-year old boy's face as the joke. Just a quick funny bit when a child is put into a situation that is mostly for adults. In Act 2 we see that same yordle but get a shifted context to a more adult-oriented and realize that she's pretty much the matron and runs the place and others look to her for advice and protection. This was done overly well and isn't a problem They then repeat the same joke to the viewer but not with the old yorlde, but with the bondage yordle. it's playing on itself and it's perfectly healthy and fine.

There is a discussion here about Silco, Jinx, and Viktor and getting into disfigurement, mental illness, and overall disabilities. All of them, and I mean absolutely all of them are well-written characters that have motivations, expectations, and executions within the story that make sense from the world that the show is giving us. It would be one thing if the show was beating you over the head and saying that all three of them were the villains because of their disabilities but it does not do that. In fact quite the opposite! It legitimately showcases numerous times that they hold power and respect within this world in spite of whatever has happened to them and that whatever has happened to them doesn't shape their entire path forward as a character.

But again, if you see everything as a nail, you can pretty much hyper-fixate onto a talk track.

Arcane is written by two individuals who have never written a script before and it shows. There are so many scenes that play off each other and every bit of detail in the background or what happens on screen has a purpose. Somebody earlier in the thread pointed out that a regular TV show would have made Vi miss the flare but Arcane gave not only the characters the moment but the viewers as well. And when they had that moment? There wasn't some forced fake outrage, it was straight up [i["Sorry here's why I was away I'm so sorry"[/i] and they communicated. It was so loving refreshing to see play out.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellioning posted:

An individual character can be well written and still fall into negative stereotypes about certain kinds of disability. A show doesn't need to go out of their way to 'beat you over the head' with someone's disability for it to be kind of lovely that there is yet another main villain that's disfigured, especially considering the incident that caused him to lose the eye is also the same incident that 'freed him' and made him become a villain instead of just a violent revolutionary.

If you disagree that's fine but I'm not sure if calling people 'terminally online' or the like is a great response?

Silco went on an entire rant to Vander about what 'freed' him and not once did he look at the camera and monologue about how it was how society saw him because of his disability. The context behind what motivates him as a character is the class struggle and the betrayal of their failed revolution that has pinned them down. Yes, he mentions how he got the eye and the wound + sewer water caused him issues, but the "freed" statement had nothing to do with it. Context matters.

Maybe I should have worded it differently than terminally online, but there is an ongoing ordeal on the internet that has consistently seen people trying to apologize to a wide-scope of things before actually getting to their commentary and my comment was that isn't normal conversation and that those small details if you hyper-fixate on them pulls you away from what actually matters. And in my experience that usually comes at somebody who is online too much and hasn't actually interacted with people outside of their Twitter-sphere or Discord community. I see it a lot when I'm canvassing with the dsa in comparison to the city vs rural areas we walk through.

Again I'm not saying don't advocate or push for proper representation but there are very obvious negative stereotypes that some shows utilize and Arcane does a very good job of working around those to make sure it doesn't fall into the pit traps. Not everything you see is a nail. Also embarrassingly enough it took for this show for me to realize that the League of Legends in-game model for Viktor has a brace on his knee. and I call myself a viktor main...

Megazver posted:

This happens with everything these days. I'm Eastern European and thus watching it all from the sidelines (for now, at least), so I find it amusing in a "watch it all burn" sort of way.

Yeah this is kind of the point I wanted to make that with the political climate of the last few years that when you get super focused into that world that you forget to step back a bit and turn off. I'm guilty of needing to log off too.

Asema fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 18, 2021

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going through a rewatch with my wife and realized they didn't do Claggor wrong in any way which I think goes back to my point about not-doing the standard Hollywood tropes because most animated tv shows would have used a super heavy-set person as comedic relief but not only does he accomplish the same things as the other kids, but he's pretty much good in a fight & respected by the Dad figure.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly Claggor gave me pretty strong Wedge from FF7R Vibes, but with even less Standard Fatphobic Humor. He's just a tough bruiser of a kid.

Truthfully speaking the voice actor sounded like Badger from breaking bad which I think also does Wedge from FF7R but then I looked it up and it wasn't him

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

I joke to people about Riot having infinite money, but jesus christ Riot has infinite money.

they make like 2 billion in revenue a year and they've done it for a decade plus.

They have a huge coffer

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What a loving ending.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I could gush about that fight scene in episode 7 so much that is a literal masterpiece of animation

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monicro posted:

I did think it was pretty funny that in a show with jinx, caitlyn, etc, the character the show was horniest for by far was jayce

bold of you to say this when viktor was in the show

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

I think what I appreciate most about episode 9 is that Powder's final transition into Jinx is done somberly and without bombast. In a typical screenplay, Powder shooting her foster dad dead in a moment of deranged panic would be the final nail in the coffin that makes her snap like a violin string and go properly anime crazy, but she instead gains this almost preternatural lucidity of who she's become and the path she's chosen to follow. Her sitting down in the Jinx chair and quietly admitting to Vi that they can never go back to who they once were is so, so much more bone-chillingly disquieting and emotionally devastating than her smiling manically into a Dutch angle would've been.

To add onto this:

Jinx's decision to sit in the Jinx chair was the first time in the entire show there wasn't voices behind her dialogue. She was fully aware and made the choice herself with no "influence". It's the small things that the show does in the background detail that does so much.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's a big difference between the old and new style, though these days they are aiming to appeal to the horny female demo with their champions.

Sett and Viego :swoon:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

PLEASE no. I am begging Riot to abandon this before it starts. There's enough live action trash in the world.

If Arcane had been a live action show instead of animated, I probably would never have bothered even if the reviews were still as glowing

If you can stomach more Imagine Dragons the worlds 2021 had a live action set and it looked absolutely gorgeous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OzoFq4Q3_c

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sky is a season 2 breadcrumb:

Blitzcrank is built by viktor and according to an old riot post was a woman close to Viktor but that lore was on the OLD LEAGUE OF LEGENDS boards which got deleted! so I imagine that might be brought up

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers here, but I wonder if it's possible that she turns out to be orianna, post events spoiled above. Like she gets a whole body constructed or something

Look into which champions are associated with Viktor

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord_Magmar posted:

Urgot is from Noxus originally and was disposed to Zaun as part of Swain (Raven/Crows connection) overthrowing the previous leader. Warwick feels a given, Camille might come in, Seraphine maybe, Ezreal being missing is honestly a bit conspicuous. Dinger going into Zaun might lead to his actual Zaunite counterpart (Ziggs) showing up.

They did setup Noxus being there so Urgot isn't too far out of the realm of possibility.

Also Sky is Blitzcrank that's my lore I don't care if it's wrong I will fight people over this (i will not)

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did we ever get an updated link for the 4k wallpaper stuff because I want to add more from act 3

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've never seen a MMO company spend hundreds of millions of dollars just to establish the lore of their fast travel system.

this made me chuckle

I wonder if the investment has been worth it for Riot. We know that the $$$ involved was greater than a normal animation series and it seems to have paid off but I'm wondering about the actual metrics for it. I wanna know about that uptick in players and money being spent but that's just general curiosity more than anything.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pidan posted:

Of course they want to make money, the point is they want to make money with media, not just with their games. LoL itself probably won't stay profitable another 10 years, they'd be wise to diversify.

Man I don't know about that. LoL is such a power house and it's still growing and making them more money than ever, add to the fact that Valorant is also doing super well for itself I think it would be foolish to think League is going to dry up. We haven't even hit it's peak growth yet apparently.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

Jinx marching up to meet the blood-red moon might be one of my favorite shots in the entire series. It's like something straight outta Hideaki Anno's mindscape.

And while this is happening you are listening to Sting

still can't believe that one.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

I worry this show is going to develop a serious shipping fanbase and those always turn toxic when people's OTPs dont happen.

Are the blue crystals/gemstone macguffins something you have to collect or go after in the game?

we don't know what those crystals are but it could be the Rune system that do affect gameplay or it could be something else. Who knows.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

withak posted:

Not just her I guess :lol:

that's still a ceremonial dress though as the regular uniform is seen throughout the series and is gender neutral

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't they add Anthony Burch to their lore team

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's wild to me to go to the league community on reddit and see them bitching about how Riot is "catering to Women with the overly girly femboys" and then get hit with "actually there's no ugly woman because they need to cater to straight male fantasies"

It's a whiplash.

Also now that we've seen all 9 episodes if you are hung up on Silco having a disfigurement as his only character indication I think you were actively trying to miss the point. He's a brilliantly written character.

Asema fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 30, 2021

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think you're missing their point tbh. It's not that Silco is defined by his scarring, it's that he's yet another example of a villain with facial scarring, which is already a tendentious combination, in a show that frequently associates disfigurement and disabilities with villainy.

There can be various in universe justifications for the scarring, limps, artificial jaws, prosthetic arms, carved off noses, and violent schizophrenia that the various villains on the show possess. They can have deeper characterisation -- though tbh I disagree about Silco being brilliant written, but whatever, that doesn't really matter; there's certainly more to him that facial features I agree -- but you line up enough data points and a pattern emerges, and that pattern, in this case, is a distinctly ableist one.

Everything looks like a nail.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellioning posted:

It's not his only character indication, but it is absolutely a character indication, especially early on. Silco can be more than his scars and still have his scars be a tedious stereotype.

Sure

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rob Filter posted:

I'm sorry I missed this post when you first made it, but I think its important to talk about your blind spot. I'm sure your unaware of this, but the moment a heterosexual man refuses a woman's advances, he is flooded with powerful homosexual energy. That's where gay men come from! You need to go educate yourself by reading the bible, Hail Satan.

You acting smug and trying to one-up their one-up of your very bad post in regards to Viktor isn't it chief.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's start a new challenge in 2022 where Dota fans just shut the gently caress up about Dota in any context that involves League of Legends.

Won't make it halfway through the first week of January but at least those few days would be nice. Hideo Kojima posted about Arcane and how much he loved it and the first comment I see is some loving Valve can do no wrong fanboy just crying about "why did you give the LoL show a chance you should watch Dota's show" lmao

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
League is fine if you turn all chat off, only play with friends and don't take it seriously.

The moment you stray from this is the moment the hurt comes in and your time is better literally doing anything else.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Nobody is asking the real questions.

How long until the live-action adaptation?

Within 5 years. Riot's already talked about it in passing ("Arcane is a launching point for our media and we want to explore more than just animation")

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellioning posted:

You know I was thinking of comparing the characters at the beginning/end of Arcane to the characters in league and wondering what Vi would think of joining the enforcers, but in retrospect, her primary emotional reaction to a Piltovian councilor launching an unauthorized raid with a bunch of enforcers but choosing not to continue them after he kills a child is annoyance that he's choosing to stop, so it'd certainly be surprising but it did do a decent job of showing some sort of bridge to her 'haha police brutality joke' League self.

Jinx: Hah if you think I'm crazy you should see my sister

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jinx is popular but not as popular as Lux, Ezreal, Yasuo, or Ahri.

Nowhere close.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Random Integer posted:

I don't know anything about violinists but the violinist was real good. I'm assuming he's some kind of big deal?

yeah he's a big deal

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dawgstar posted:

that wasnt sting i didn't see a single scorpion deathlock :colbert:

i thought the two were the same person for the longest time :))))))

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are we gonna argue for six pages about who's huffing who's farts now

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know if this has been posted and I don't want to slog through the poo poo of the last ten pages so here it is again if it has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WaTShr7amo

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think my eyes have rolled so far back into my head before but congratulations on achieving that.

Jesus loving christ this conversation is so loving stupid

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KVeezy3 posted:

(Y'know, the basic premise of the series)?

Says you. You are the only one saying this.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not to spoil the potential Arcane season 2 stuff but there's already foundations of whats after with the Runeterra lore as well as the last couple champions in league.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

How the gently caress is this conversation still happening?

I'm not one to tell somebody to shut the gently caress up but it would be really cool if said person who is driving this circular conversation made an offshoot thread to specifically talk about the inner workings of the show so that this thread can talk about neato things without wasting ten pages on the same bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KVeezy3 posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll pass.

Cool have this suggestion next: Shut up for a bit so the thread isn't doing the same conversation for 20 more pages