Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Crossposting from the Other thread:

I have some dumb questions about FFXIV on console (PS4/5 namely)

How does it play on a controller? Do you use a separate keyboard or just… forego chatting?

Is it cross platform i.e. can I use my normal PC account and hop back and forth between PS4 and PC at will?

Lots of people like it on controller, wasn't to my taste but I can see the appeal.

You can chat without a keyboard but it's.. slow so you might want to look into one.

You can play the same character on PC and playstation no problem BUT you need to buy the game separately on both platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

My WoL is not the twins' elder sibling.

He is their third parent.

4th, don't forget Alphinaud's cat mum back on the first

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Saying all these problems were easily fixable is dumb, bit it's also clear that there are some poor design decisions within the client that are exacerbating issues.

The main problem is this 15mim reconnect when the client is in the queue. I can think of several reasons why it might be a good idea to restart these connections periodically, but the fact that it's done with very little error handling is a problem. There absolutely needs to be some sort of automatic retry behaviour, it needs to not completely crash the client if it fails and it needs to be much better at saving your queue spot. It's exactly the sort of issue that could stay hidden until the servers get really really busy, but hopefully they're able to roll out a fix for it soonish.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Not disagreeing but this is the kind of problem that, by the time they roll out a fix there will no longer be queues. Maybe they'll have it locked down before 7.0.

Its been a week now and player numbers are going down slowly enough that I expect it'll still be busy in a week's time. I would think that should be time to write, review and test a fix like this, but then again spaghetti code who knows.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

We go to Meracyida for the next xpack and it's basically a fantasy version of Kath and Kim.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Dwesa posted:

I wonder what glams does he make as a CUL

https://www.google.com/search?q=lad...ih=713&dpr=2.81

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Machinist sitting under bard currently is... Oof

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I don't know if I've ever seen a wile in lota, what groups are you all in???

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I try to use superbolide once or twice per dungeon. I don't bother letting the healer know, they figure it out soon enough.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

high end raiders are often cutscene skippers, they don't know who they're fighting or why and don't care

While often true, a decent percentage of the cutscene skipping high end raiders also do go back and Ng+ the story once they're finished doing what they want to in the endgame content.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Little thing about the final MSQ trial:

So the Endsinger does this big wipe move that needs to be tank LB'd, and then rewinds time to do it again before you have enough time to recover your limit break to tank LB that one as well. When I played this for the first time as a tank, I had my co-tank type 'uh wait what' in the chat which made me and everyone else panic, scrambling looking around for some sort of mechanic to get out of this (like some sort of aether collector to be destroyed similar to ultima weapon in void ark). Lo and behold we got destroyed but then were saved by the power of prayer, and my co-tank admitted at the end that he had done it before and just likes to hype it up for first-timers to sell the bit since someone else did it for their group as well.

From then on, whenever I get the Endsinger in trial roulette and I see some first-timers in the group, I like to do the same thing by being all kayfabe, saying things like 'uh oh' or 'well, that's a wipe' or 'dpsdpsdpsdpsdps' to sell the bit: maybe it's a little cringe, but I thought it was cute and wondered if other people had a similar experience and continue the legacy as well.

that's really neat and I hope I see that some time. My first time through had a few ironic "that's a wipe oops" in chat, but it was pretty obvious from context that people were joking

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Renegret posted:

I have a few questions because I have a terrible memory, don't remember ShB that well, it took me until today to finally beat EW so some details are hazy, and I'm generally just pretty stupid.

Spoilers for ShB and 87 dungeon Do we ever get an explanation on why Hades/Hermes turn into a giant fuckoff monster when they decide they want to fight? Are they just using transformation magic just to be more powerful? Or is it just some final fantasy poo poo where bad guys have to be crazy looking

Also end game So if I'm understanding right, we're not Azem's soul reincarnated insomuch as we became Azem when we picked up the Azem soul crystal? I really enjoy stories being about random people rising to greatness instead of someone being predestined for some bullshit that they had no say in. I like the idea of the WoL being some random adventurer who is just really good at his job and fell into all this nonsense by never losing a fight.

Don't know where you're getting that soul crystal bit from. Yes you find the crystal of azem along with the others in amourot and keep it, but it's pretty clear you ARE the latest incarnation of the soul that was Azem.

The game makes it clear however that while people who share souls might share certain key traits they are fundamentally different people, see Amon and Hermes for example.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

ShB stuff: Has it ever been explained why only Emet, Lahabrea and Elidibus escaped sundering?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Queues are more or less gone now. I'd guess they'll drop 6.05, give it a few days, and assuming everything still looks fine it could be back on sale within a week.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

top tier: roe female, highlander female, aura female
high tier: miqote female, dunesfolk lalafell, elezen female, hopefully hrothgal
mid tier: hrothguy, viera female, miqote male, midlander female, roe male, plainsfolk lalafell
low tier: highlander male, elezen male, midlander male, viera male
embarrassing garbage tier: aura male

This is more like it

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

CJ posted:

I think all races should be opened up to trial players. It's really dumb that you can't pick Viera or Hrothgar at character creation. Especially in a game that discourages alts so much.

I sort of agree, although the fact that everyone gets a free fantasia upon completion of 2.0 somewhat makes up for it.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I will be an Au Ra Male and I'm not going to let anyone make me feel bad for it

I'd avoid the shitpostxiv subreddit if I were you.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I can imagine some situations where it's very close to the end of the fight, lb3 has already been used but it's charged up to lb1 or lb2 again, and a tank lb gives everyone that bit more survivability to survive a few attacks and limp over the line, but that's a real stretch.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I recently had a pug fail meteors on chrysalis (big middle one hit) but a healer just survived somehow, and then proceeded to res everyone with lb while nothing happened and we killed the tear in a confused silence and then finished the fight.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Psychonauts 2 was this year and it ruled.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Sir this is the Last Stand drive through.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Arm's Length reduces the enemy gcds by 20% for those 15 (+6) seconds. Meaning you take 4 out of 5 hits and take 80% of the damage you would have.

Rampart reduces the enemy's damage by 20% for those 20 seconds, meaning you take 80% of the damage you would have.

They're going to work out to be roughly the same, unless you're stacking cooldowns. Since Arm's Length isn't a damage resistance, it fully stacks with DR abilities. DR abilities, when stacked, are multiplicative, and lose effectiveness per ability used.

You'll still get diminishing returns combining arm's length with a mitigation ability. Because if an enemy is attacking you less often due to a slow the mitigation ability will have less impact.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

Just got GNB to 90 last night and going into a No Mercy window with 3 charges loaded and Bloodfest off cooldown is now my favorite poo poo in the game

Don't forget having two steps of your combo done so you can load an extra charge in one gcd!

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

I think there literally isn't enough time to do this in No Mercy any more if you're 3/3 and Bloodfest is ready. I haven't looked up a guide, are you supposed to hold using NM until before Savage Claw so you can fit in a Burst Strike later

You're right, I was forgetting sonic break, which brings it up to a total of 10 gcds you'd want to fit in and that's one too many.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Awesome! posted:

it is extremely dumb that they havent taken away the dozens of extra houses some people own.

That sounds like communism to me buddy! How about instead we let these people who were canny enough to buy up all the housing rent it out to people who don't have a house!

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Gunbreaker is my favorite job but I have a couple of complaints with it. I think it'd be cool if Continuation had a little extra range so you could use it while moving a boss. It'd be cool if the Gnashing Fang combo didn't get interrupted by your 1-2-3 combo.

But my biggest complaint, and the one that is most likely never to be fixed, is that "Heart of Corundum" is such a weird choice for that skill's name. It could've been Heart of Iron or Heart of Steel or Heart of Diamond or so many other things. Why Corundum, of all minerals?

My least favourite thing about gunbreaker is that they give you a skill called "Danger Zone", and then they loving rename it to "Blasting Zone" all of a sudden. It's bullshit.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I dunno, this might be a sign that you joined the wrong FC.

Does anyone have the original Shadowlands version of this?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Them cannons ain't gonna turn themselves kiddo.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

There's also *ILLEGAL MODS* easily available through ffxiv launcher that will put a simple yes or no on the card tooltip to let you know if you have it. Very much a "why isn't this part of the standard UI" feature.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

The bit about streaming act is bad form anywhere I think, which is why the plugin has a blur option

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

What's the intended end goal for these bits? Why are they so desperate to buy a basic battlecraft accessory?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

There's loads of jobs I want to play but they all have these bullshit quest requirements so I just stick to running dungeons on my conjurer and ignoring people who yell at me about poo poo like "job stones"

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Quote is not edit...

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

I love SAM. So fun, challenging but not frustrating, easy to grasp but also hard to really master. It's very fun.

I liked Sam in shb but found it quite annoying, especially the buff maintenance. From what I can see all the endwalker changes have vastly reduced the annoying bits so I should really try again.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I'm on chaos and I don't think I've ever seen bone dragon not pulled north. I don't do ADR much though. Also I have no idea what the mechanics are on that boss as it's so easy so I've literally no idea why it's a decision in the first place and I certainly don't care to find out.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Wild rose is a recurring weapon in the series. It's also the name of a rebellion in FF2 where you say "wild rose" to NPCs as a password.

There's also a running gag in FFXIV where you can have the wol say wild rose whenever you're supposed to give a different password.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

The biggest point of confusion for mathbot is that you look at your HP bar, not a buff with a number in it

My first time I handles it ok and then stopped paying attention before realizing too late you need to do it twice in a row

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah that's literally their stated reasoning. Samurai performance swings too heavily based on their burst crit, and they wanted to normalize it some.

Weird that they felt no need to do the same for dancer, whose parses are hugely dependent on tech step crits.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Pretty much everyone agrees MCH should do less damage than BLM, the issue is that the magnitude of that gap is currently too large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Gruckles posted:

I think they don't understand how the rolling works and believe that if they can annoy the people that rolled under a 10 anyway into leaving, it will magically result in them having a better chance of beating the person that rolled a 99 five minutes ago and won't go away.

I ran Brayflox recently with two sprouts. The first wanted everyone to roll so they could get an upgrade. The second got very angry and refused, saying that if they rolled on loot they could be kicked and they didn't want to be kicked by people looking to invite their friends. It was an odd dynamic.