Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Do we expect the goody bag will be the same for the EU FanFest? Really glad I got tickets if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

My main issue with Reaper is that I'm an idiot and keep forgetting to re-apply the "do more damage" buff. It's oddly like a DoT except not in that sense.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

the_steve posted:

Yeah, that always gets me as well. I'll be midway through a transformation burst and realize they don't have the debuff applied.

I think I would like it to have an element on the job gauge maybe? The issue I guess is that it's a debuff per enemy. But something like how DRK does its buff.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Some of the current plot is oddly reminicisent of the end of IX's plot. But it would definitely be cool to have Kuja show up at some point. The only issue is that he is basically an Ascian in IX's story and so they might've already *done* that beat.

I really really think it's going to be Merycydia. "Outer Continent" is a classic Final Fantasy trope! You could stick in all kinds of odd stuff. (Qu Tribe from IX, for instance.) And it just feels like a way to pivot the story in an interesting direction, where we're not just exploring over well-trodden ground.

I think an interesting question might be: when *do* they start to sunset the game? 7.0 and 8.0 will be fully fledged expansions I think. Can you get 9.0? 10.0? 10 is quite a nice number to finish on in some ways, and 4 more expansions will bring us fairly close to the 20 year mark when all is said and done. I guess a lot depends on what else CBU3 end up doing now that 16 is done.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I thought 11 was in a somewhat holding zone? Like, it's maintained, I have to imagine that will just run and run and run for both games, but I thought Rhapsodies of Vana'diel was somewhat the final big content drop for it? Thought I don't play it so I might just be incorrect.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Vermain posted:

They've been releasing new high-level content pretty regularly, though there haven't been any big ticket expansions since Rhapsodies. You might end up seeing something further down the line, since I know Yoshida's a big FFXI booster and the idea of a combined FFXIV/FFXI subscription that's been floated around would probably open up some more money towards small expansions or something similar.

I'd love to experience XI in some way though every explanation of how to get a sub and install it I've ever seen looks approximately like instructions for launching a moon rocket, let alone actually playing it. I assume it is not beyond my wit if I actually bothered to figure it out, though.

I think the graphical update is the biggest concrete proof that Yoshida means it and that they are investing in XIV for the long-haul, certainly. Why do it otherwise?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Xerophyte posted:

PlayOnline is a rare thing of wonder and I can't believe it's survived this long.

11 isn't without charm, but it's very dated at this point and I'm not sure you can sustain yourself through it without some nostalgia. The trusts make it soloable, but it's still a grindy Everquest-like from 2002. There's a nice LP currently ongoing if you just want to see the story bits without needing to personally murder quite so many crabs.

Oh, hey, thanks for this! I'll check it out.

Is PlayOnline the same branding that a IX strategy guide interacted with back in the day? I dimly remember some kind of "put in this keyword into a janky website to get some sub-GameFAQs tips".

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I think people seem to ignore that the Manderville Weapons are tome dumps and also you have to commit yourself to completing the entire Manderville sidequest, which many people have done but isn't like, trivial if you're doing it from the jump. Lotta goofy content to clear! Though obviously your second, third relic etc. are just tome sinks.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Considering that goons typically love Hildibrand, you might be onto something about this thread having a biased sample.

Yeah I mean I also love Hildibrand but I'm posting here on the SomethingAwful forums, it's me, I am the problem. But for your average Jill Finalfantasy who picked the game up mid-Shadowbringers - well, I don't know what the stats are, but I would be prepared to guess that in fact by and large she hadn't previously done Hildibrand. Like the Tataru's Grand Adventure content, it seems they are trying to incentivise players to go and complete old content.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Namnesor posted:

So... like what previous relic grinds were trying to do.

Quite so.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I am hoping we get some stronger damage spells this patch which make the lv70 fight a bit easier to finish.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

It's true for the lv50 quests and below as well, as well as I think the 60-70 ones?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Oh, huh. I thought it did.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

You all complain about that guy spending 400 hours on a game he doesn't like but every day I read the cursed subreddits for this videogame and see like a hundred people who seem to be having an absolutely miserable time but keep paying the sub anyway (absolutely incomprehensible to me).

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

SE needs to turn their poo poo down a bit because ShB story 8mans were tough but the first 8 man is going so badly that everyone keeps dropping or voting to abandon. poo poo like this is why I just use trusts now because at least they're programmed to drag you over the finish line

Which fight do you mean exactly?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Criterion rather than Variant dungeons drop a different currency, if that's what you mean.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The interesting thing to me about Merycydia is that the Warring Triad are like... themed after Near East esotericism and niche religion?

Sephirot is approximately kabbalah-themed, sort of, Sophia is doing some kind of gnosticism thing with her name and the demiurges, and Zurvan is named for a monotheistic (?) variant on Zoastrianism. So honestly it feels like if anything the cultural elements of Merycydia we've seen are approximately Persian/Babylonian, something like that. That is also, of course, the cultural context in which the name Tiamat comes from.

I never see anyone talk about the theme of the Triad but it's really clear to me!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

Huh, this is really interesting! A quick glance at the Wikipedia page suggests that Zurvan in the real-world religious context is specifically a dispassionate neutral creator god who created both sides of the traditional Zoroastrian opposition? That definitely makes some of the FFXIV boss's dialogue click.

Right, I have to confess I didn't know anything about Zurvan until I looked it up but it's *such* a specific and resonant reference.

I also do really hope they pick up some of the cultures that existed post-depravities of Allag.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Queues for T3 Second Coil of Bahamut (Savage) gonna reach an all-time high.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

goblin week posted:

A dungeon, or perhaps a raid series, overexplaining the Heart of Sabik

this surely must be a bit, we literally just had that

lines
Aug 18, 2013

goblin week posted:

I’m in Stormblood :v:

😶

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

To clarify: we're usually around as DPS, but if you ask us we'll swap to anything because no elezen is half-hearted about the game.

Added curveball, though, particularly from an RP server: any hyur or elezen with a Romanesque name is either DPS or tank, because they're actually playing a pureblood Garlean and as a result are almost always either Machinist or Gunbreaker. (Also maybe don't hang around them for any longer than it takes to get Aetherial Mimicry, because in my experience the 'pureblood Garlean RPers' have a higher than average chance of being antagonistic jerks.)

I play a Gelmorran revanchist RPer, fear I'm also not beating these allegations (no! wait! I'm lovely!)

"Extremely specific RPer" is definitely a type of Elezen though.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

I know you mean your character is a revanchist, but "Gelmorran revanchist RPer" just makes me picture the Duskwight equivalent of Civil War reenactors or the people who work at Colonial Williamsburg

To be fair my apartment/terrorist cell base is dressed up as the "Gelmorran Historical Society" so possibly she is also that. It's a funny thought.

If they do a Gelmorra Variant Dungeon I'm gonna be so excited.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

quote="Cleretic" post="533470197"]

A Gelmorran villain, or some Sil'dihn descendants, or something else I can't think of at all? Pretty much a 100% chance of being cool.
[/quote]

😎

My headcanon for when I'm actually doing Warrior of Light stuff is that she only originally joined the Scions as a deep cover in order to avoid the Gridanian rozzers and now she's in entirely, entirely too deep and it would frankly be socially awkward to mention the Unpleasantness. This goes double for any interactions with Kan-E-Senna.

Cleretic posted:

And out of all of them, the Garleans are the most likely to be using it as an excuse to enact real-world beliefs.

Yeah I have to say, "people with detailed Garlean backstory that doesn't end with 'and then I shot a lot of fascists in the back and got out of there'" are... well, look, it's roleplaying, fill your boots I guess, but it's a bit like people who play Black Templars in Warhammer 40k .

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Are we allowed to discuss the contents of the keynote in this thread or is that for the spoiler thread only?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

MYSTERIOUS CITIES OF GOLLLLLLD.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Ojjeorago posted:

"I may have to keep making FF14 even after I die"

Necromancer confirmed!!!

That would fit with the black shirt...

It's interesting. I don't know how that would work lore wise.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Thinking about the trailer a bit: Krile's the only Scion not in the trailer.

She's totally rocking one of the new jobs and they can't show it yet.

Necromancer Krile go go go.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Hilariously that would fit with the YoshiP shirt hint too.

How so?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I've not really done Island Sanctuary or the Forays much yet. I'm just saying that because I'm making clear I have no stake in whatever this is.

That said: my biggest concern for Dawntrail is where the gently caress is Tataru. Mama needs a beach holiday and cocktails!

Do people think we're going to get a new housing area at all, and if so, where will it be?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

All of that is a big part of why I think AST is the best-designed healer in this game [...]

I love that it is the healer they are planning on redesigning completely. Truly I've begun to understand you are a person of many-twisted soul, Cleretic. Perversely fascinating.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Vitamean posted:

tbf the AST redesign seems to be because playing it on controller right now turns your hands into a bent and twisted mockery of their former selves

e: its also a pain to play on keyboard lol. it's 4am and I'm remembering that over the past two years my static has driven two ASTs to take a break due in part to job-induced boneitis

God I need to learn to play on controller. The issue is that I'm really used to KBM play and I use a MMO mouse and have spent upwards of 20 hours tinkering with my UI. It's such a pain to even organise hotbars on controller! And finding an intuitive setup seems tough, I don't know how people do it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

You're not limited to just a controller. It's actually controller+kbm and you can still click and drag and type and everything else

Oh yeah it's just a faff to use my PS5 that way. You can't get a wireless MMO mouse basically!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Proud to say I did a Dun Scaith run yesterday *as a BLM* and didn't die once. We were really on it that run! And then we hosed up the towers at the end of Diabolos Hollow and lost all our time gain.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I was doing savage for the first time and got as far as P10S turrets before my static fell apart. But I gotta say, Wicked Step was very frustrating but really, really funny.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I'm going to buy and play this terrible TTRPG so hard.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I actually think the best RPG system for getting across what it is to play Final Fantasy might be Chuubo's Magical Wish-Granting Engine or something like that. But that is, uh, less mainstream than D&D.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I was about to post "gently caress it's nice to be in the SA FFXIV threads and not have to read insipid Reddit nonsense" but now we're into G'raha discourse so I feel like instead I want to defend my husbando.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I have bad news about the two worst posters in this thread.

I'm trying to get better from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I think when I think about the romantic options in the game, on reflection, I'm really not thinking about it in terms of my WoL but just like, what I find attractive. I find it really hard to like, think of my WoL as anything but perhaps fightsexual. Which raises the terrifying notion that I unconsciously ship her with Zenos.

G'raha is cute but he's cute because *I* personally appreciate a demure catboy, y' know?

I don't really get the very blatant attraction to Y'shtola that many seem to have, but perhaps I just have a lack of sufficient death drive.