Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm thousands of posts behind the old thread because I took the week off to play and have been playing to the exclusion of everything else, but I'm happy to be able to hop into this one. Game is so good, I'm barely in the 85 content (and have already maxed out my main job) and I'd be shocked if I was even halfway through the story. I loving love the cadence of RDM now, I loved it before of course, but it's so much more active and responsive now, plus the effects are so loving pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

LOTA sucks because synching to 50 means so many classes are just shy of feeling complete to play.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I love the new RDM cadence and the Accel change is a big part of it. As much as I loved RDM before, it feels even better now even if AOEs are still a little clunky feeling but that's probably just getting used to needing 60/60 for the finishing run. It doesn't hurt that the 90 AF gear looks loving incredible.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Harrow posted:

If I had one gripe about RDM, it still feels weird to me that the AoE rotation is the opposite of the single-target one, where you cast the Verthunder/Veraero spell and then dualcast the unaspected one (in this case Impact). I'm used to it now but it's still a little bit awkward to me.

Yeah, that one hosed with me pretty badly when I first picked the class up. Actually, the one thing I really want them to change is the sound effect for Verflare, it's all soggy sounding now and I hate it.

Harrow posted:

Well, and also I want them to give RDM that cool upgraded version of Moulinet that Alisaie does when you get to play as her, Crimson Savior, the one with the flower effect on it. Maybe they're saving that for 7.0...

Even if the effects changed with successive Enchanted Moulinets, something to make it feel cooler like the single-target does.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

HackensackBackpack posted:

I like the song in the final zone. :colbert:

It's a good song! And it's not Christian Rock (or maybe it is, I don't know what that sounds like) it's a rock ballad showtune.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Edmund Lava posted:

Managed to go this whole game without shedding an actual tear and (level 88 quest) Meeting Moenbryda’s parents just wrecked me. Well done FFXIV

I got very emotional several times in Shadowbringers and Endwalker but this was the one moment that I full on cried and had to get tissues, the whole nine yards. It might be the single most masterfully executed moment in the game, every single element worked and if even one thing--camera, animations, vocal performances--had been off it would have just been a really good beat instead of being shattering.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

e: AST healing is weird to me, at least grinding out EW dungeons I felt like I ran into a lot of situations where I was spamming Benefic 2 desperately trying to keep the tank alive. Granted, I think I wasn't using Neutral Sect anywhere as much as I should have been.

I've had the same issue in late ShB dungeons too, not just EW ones, I definitely don't feel like my healing has as much oomph as it used to. Bene2 is getting used the most I have ever used it and I've got the best gear available with a maxed out Resistance weapon.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Stormblood is good, if uneven, and mostly suffers from being between two exceptional expansions.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I actually think paladin in shb got the 1-1-1-1 rotation right. Four casts of holy spirit is enough that counting provides a similar mental load to running your fingers along the combo bar, and the fact that you're watching your MP bar instead of a buff feels different even if it amounts to the same thing.

Having the buff that shows your Requiescat stacks has been massively helpful for me, if I lose track, I can confirm where I am really easily.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

All you need is a familiar to box you up and you're fine, just get you a Gizmo.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

theironjef posted:

In summation lemme get the heads of Eorzean states as trust allies, please and thanks to Square or whatever.

Kan-E-Senna is a melee healer and all her attacks cause Heavy.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

loving finally, I've been wanting this for ages.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I've spent the last few weeks of my limited playtime working on my gatherers, which I should finish tonight once the Custom Deliveries reset, and I've finally started to dig into crafting, mostly to start in on the Tribal crafting quests (they're good!) What I'm struggling with is how to keep myself geared, I'm focusing on two crafters right now just for the sake of my sanity, I've got one about to hit 70 and the other close to 60 and while I haven't hit any walls on Tribe or Job quests, it's definitely getting snug and I'm definitely not able to make even level Collectables--not even close really--so I've got roughly fuckall for crafters' scrips. I've been mostly piecemealing gear from vendors and now I've got access to some stuff from the Tribes and then grabbing tools however I can manage, mostly off the MB but it doesn't feel like I'm being efficient and trying to buy accessories for crafters is either impossible or highway robbery on the MB. I'm not really concerned with getting to the cutting edge of crafting or bothering with macros, I'm just trying to get them leveled.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

King of the Cosmos posted:

Whatever you figure out I hope you pass on in here or on the discord because I'm running into the same problem. Custom deliveries are pretty much how I've done most of my recent leveling and finding accessories is really difficult.

A friend of mine who's an Omnicrafter on multiple alts suggested using Deliveries to build up scrip and gearing with that to get 60 and 70 gear and letting that carry to the next expansion level. I was able to get decent enough level 50 left side gear through my GC and I think my accessories were probably MB purchases. At 60 there are scrip accessories though the armor is all by class instead of individual which is a kick in the inventory, but 70 and 80 both have good scrip gear that's shared among all crafters. I'll use one of my Custom Delivery sets to finish Fisher tonight and then switch to crafting the rest for scrips and XP. Apparently you can turn in on a different class than you craft the Collectable with so that's useful for XP.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

So then two WoLs in a trenchcoat with two katanas each would be an unstoppable killing force?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I've suddenly started getting a 1012 error when I try to log on, and I was able to get on fine like eight hours ago. I found a thread that suggested changing some values in a config file and I reset the system setting on the launcher but to no avail. I'd rather not do a fresh install, because I'd like to actually play tonight (and also because it would just be a whole Thing) but I'm also seeing people saying that 1012 is some sort of server cap error, so I just don't know. Anyone else have this happen?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

YggiDee posted:

Female Roegadyn also have excellent emotes.

And an amazing posture in the flying chair mount.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Hrothgar hair is part of their skull or something, rather than a separate hair slot like all the pre-Shadowbringers races.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I've started doing Frontlines roulette and it loving sucks, I don't know how anyone can keep track of what is happening at any given moment, it's just pure chaos and not in a fun way. It's decent enough XP and doesn't take too long, though the matches have been incredibly tedious. I'm looking forward to trying out CC at least, but Frontlines is just something to be endured for me, at least until I get the fist-punch emote.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

kung fu jive posted:

As far as the characters go, Minfilia could have been great but she just never got developed into the story.

Minifilia also suffered from one of the worst loving VO performances I've ever heard in my life. Even if she had been written better than she was, the performance would render it moot.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

Too bad about Yotsuyu’s VA losing her mind during that fight and sounding like a weirdo

Real Christopher Nolan Batman situation

So a choice made by an actor and agreed upon by the director and producers?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

Choices can be bad!

Sure, but to lay the blame solely on the actor is kinda lovely.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I've reached the point in my crafting journey where I find myself frequently capping out on crafting scripts. I don't have need of any gear so is there anything that converts to gil easily or something else worth spending them on?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Onean posted:

If you haven't made one (or more) of the Heavensward Anima/relic weapons and there's even the tiniest chance you might in the future, I'd recommend picking up Blue Crafters' Scrip Tokens and/or the Gatherer version (if you're mixing the two, do it in batches of 5 since that's the turn-in amount). The Anima weapons are a huge Poetics sink, and using these tokens will reduce the cost of one of those steps from (at worst, there's some RNG) 11,250 Poetics to 4,500 Poetics and 150 tokens (3,750 Scrips).

Oh this is really helpful, because I am (very slowly) working through the Books of an Atma weapon so this will be useful eventually.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I really have to wonder why Flow puts the emphasis on the exactly wrong syllable for no apparent reason so frequently. These artists have hit the nail on the head so often that it can't be accidental.

Sometimes you have to gently caress with the scansion in order to match the melody, especially when the tune and lyrics were not written together.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

sassassin posted:

Zenos should have stayed dead in Stormblood. He got what he wanted. Arc complete.

I agreed until I finished Endwalker and discovered that my previous position was completely wrong.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Zomborgon posted:

Well if they hold off on 6.15 for another two weeks I may actually have all my tribes done, finally, if not for long.

drat these Vanu for making me dance at a half dozen people, with a cutscene each time no less.

So glad that this is the worst duration a rep grind ever got in ff14...

You can skip those cutscenes at least, though it still eats a lot of time.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Between the cutscenes and massive distances you have to travel, the Vanu are the post-ARR tribe that feels the most like a chore.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

sassassin posted:

Blitzball was actually good.

It was always bad and, having started X not too long ago, remains bad.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Is there a text command to just completely clear hotbars?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's a slice of stuffed pizza because FFXIV loves Chicago, as well it should.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I wasn't sure what class I was going to level next, I was leaning towards Summoner but didn't have a good glam for it so I decided to see what I had in the Glamour Chest and well

Guess I'm going to level Summoner now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Arist posted:

I cannot believe they named one of these Arkasodara quests "Do It for the Vine"

I could tell that this was supposed to be a reference but I must confess I have no idea what it's a reference to.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

Only thing I can think of is it being a reference to Vine, the video sharing thing that was basically tiktok befor tiktok existed.

Yeah, that was the best I could come up with too.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Ok, talking about anything the gently caress else. I've been working on finishing leveling Summoner, which is fun now, and as part of that I'm doing a decent amount of PVP but I'm definitely not playing well in PVP. I'm not racking up the massive body count that SMN's reputation suggests I should, either in CC or Frontlines (which is just complete unfun chaos but is worth a lot of XP and maybe I'll get that Garo mount even though I've never been on the winning team) is there a trick to SMN in PVP? Also does anyone ever summon Phoenix or just Bahamut?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I know Eureka has its own XP system but is it also worth regular XP?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That's what I thought, thanks.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Does MSQDR count as a level 50 dungeon for Catbook purposes? I think it does, but it's been a while since I've had it come up.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

-The jobs/classes being accessable by one character where swapping is free/fast.

It's literally as simple as equipping a different weapon. You'll unlock a gear set for every class/job and you can drag the class icon from that to a hotbar and it will equip you with everything you have registered as that job with the push of a button. One character can learn every single job in the game. Armor and accessories are also shared between roles (tank, healer, melee, physical ranged, and magical ranged DPS) so you'll get a ton of mileage out of that gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

By and large ARR's VO performances are fine but the stinkers loving stink bad. ARR has what might be the worst VO performance I've ever heard and also I wouldn't go back and change to another language for anything.