Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I've found Baby Nissa to be a nice curve filler in my mono-green landfall deck. Keeps you hitting your land drops early game and then is card advantage late game so never a dead draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Played my first game of commander today, and first game in the last, probably since 2006? Game. I had the Imperium deck and my coworker had the tyranid deck, man that tyranid deck is nasty, I couldn't really gain any ground, even with my coworker helping point out things to me I wasn't noticing. Was fun though, wish it had come with separate health and commander damage values, back in the day we just managed one health pool

The Imperium deck has an incredible endgame, but unless you happen to draw very well it takes a long time to get there. The other decks are much more consistent in my experience

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Tyranid deck is a lot better if you use the alternative commander, fwiw, so you could have been beaten down even more :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

Alright, I don't even know what to trim/add to make this deck do much of anything:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Jkna0iTe-UuzR0iykoC_8w

If you want more flicker, there's the Golden Argosy on top of the instants mentioned. Glorious Protector as board wipe insurance/mass bounce, Lumbering Battlement likewise but not at instant speed (note that getting these two and Abdel out at the same time creates infinite 1/1 tokens and gives you infinite ETB triggers, as does two of these and Preston)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 18, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah, this is how I feel too. Like, three poison counters is already a good deal of the way to dead. You don't want to take a turn off of doing more poison poo poo to cast a 3cmc mana rock.

It does proliferate, so that is more poison poo poo to some extent

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

orangelex44 posted:

Descend Upon the Sinful (loving great name)

Also famously had a misprint in the french version so it said "Descend Upon the Fishermen"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there something to allow for commander....solitare? Is that a thing?

Solo playtesting you mean? If so, both Archidekt and Moxfield do it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I hope they reprint those cards/decks as Magic themed cards someday.

They've said they will for all Universes Beyond stuff, eventually

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

It would have worked fine if they'd done the Godzilla treatment from the start, and they could still do that retroactively as they did the Stranger Things.

The Stranger Things Universe Within card aren't like the Godzilla cards, they're just renamed versions of the ST UB cards. The only thing that makes it apparent that it's a copy of another card is the set number.

vs

(Notice the little " = SLD 347 " on the bottom)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 3, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ah, it's just the Secret Lairs they've promised to do this for. That makes sense as the number of cards is smaller, but sucks overall.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Framboise posted:

I still find it funny that the in-universe Stranger Things cards are a bunch of Innistrad characters with the cornball "Friends Forever" ability

I might build a low power deck using Cecily, Haunted Mage who is Friends Forever with Will, the Wise

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bird. posted:

a bird and a copy of a bird that is an artifact in addition to its other types

:hmmyes:

Those are really good looking, nice work

Silhouette posted:

Edit: also you get access to even more token producers that trigger on instants/sorceries or even just non-creature spells like Young Pyromancer, Saheeli, Sublime Artificer, Third Path Iconoclast, Murmuring Mystic and even Talrand. The Locust God would even fit the deck if you decide to run a bunch of card draw spells.

Shark Typhoon, Metallurgic Summonings are two good and harder-to-interact-with-than-creatures options, although ST is pretty pricey for a budget deck.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

While I've kept the 40k precons complete for theme reasons, I do like taking a precon+ to game nights, where the + is only increasing consistency and not power (it's Exit from Exile, one of the first things I did was actually taking the best card - Jeska's Will - out of the deck in favour of on-theme jank). Low power games can be just as fun as the ones where my mono-G combo deck wins on turn 4, and usually more so.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Didn't even know people drafted commander. How many does one need to crack to build a commander deck?

Aside from commander cubes, the Commander Legends sets were draftable commander. The rules are slightly different (60 cards (with correspondingly bigger packs) and 2 picks per look at a pack rather than 1) and I've enjoyed it when I've done it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Framboise posted:

Is there any permanent (preferably creatures) that give creatures flash in Naya colors? Having trouble getting the search right in Scryfall.

I'm working on a high power/sub-cedh Jetmir deck and I think it'd be cool to be able to do some instant speed tricks.

There's a vivien that does it efb

Toshimo posted:

Just to give you an example I've been mulling over, Here's a metric you can try and apply to see if your deck actually does anything, inspired by a few decklists I've seen in various venues recently:

1. The Magikarp Test - You start with any 7 lands in play and any 7 cards from your deck in hand. How long does it take you to win against 3 dummy players at 40 life?
  2. The Mercenary Test - Same as above, but each tirn your opponents each play 1 Highway Robber, which can block, but not attack. Can you still win? How long?

These aren't really meant to be "gauntlets" in the way that they test you against opposing strategies; they are supposed to just measure out if you can close out a game when you have all your tools.

This shows a nice distinction between my "precon+" level decks and my "plays happily against well designed sub cEDH" level decks, the latter lot are all turn 2 (even the combat based ones) and the others are 5-7 turns if you can't stack the deck, although one of them is turn 3 if you can stack the deck for cascade triggers (t2 or t3 applies for both of these "tests", the blockers only makes things tougher for the low power decks)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 1, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There's a few ways to win immediately off infinite mana, so presumably something designed around getting infinite mana asap

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

EDHrec's %ages already account for color restrictions.

And also only include decks built since the card was released

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you're going to do mono white flicker etb stuff, I think Preston is a better commander with Elesh Norn in the 99 but on the other hand how can you not have that copy of the card front and centre

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I like Preston in the CZ because while he's less powerful on his own, it means you can put in token support like Mondrak and things get nuts

Batterypowered7 posted:

I just won't play against Sheldon. I legitimately think he'd ban it if someone made him have a bad game with it.

I'm pretty sure he'd have banned it anyway by now if it was up to him, but it's not

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 8, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Building a Rakdos deck and decided to scrub it and start from scratch.

Or at least I would if it was possible to delete it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jiro posted:

Copy/paste the name to confirm?

A coward's move

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Railing Kill posted:

The new Glissa makes me want to do deathtouch/first strike tribal. It's not a good idea, or even a coherent one, but I like the idea of lure effects and poking everyone's creatures to death.

Also, GB is by far my favorite color identity, do it may just be a flimsy excuse to work in those colors and to use cool but weak cards like Deadly Allure. :wink:

I've made a deathtouch/fight tribal (ie, it also has Phyrexian Obliterator) and I've avoided doing too much repeatable plink because either it dominates creature-based games or does nothing. Overall it's not super high power but it's good fun.

It's worth putting in a couple of swords (I've got Feast and Famine, Fire and Ice and Animist in there because those are the ones I own) because deathtouchers carry equipment well. Same with Rancor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I was bummed looking at Boros commanders and seeing Lorehold doesn't really have better sorceries to cheat than extra combat steps.

There's Soulfire Eruption at least

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I have a very slightly boosted Exit from Exile (put Jeska's Will in something else, removed a few of the "do nothing" cards like Sandworm Convergence, but kept the lower power stuff like Forerunners over Craterhoof) and it can still pop off perfectly happily. Modern precons generally play pretty well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Speaking of precon value, does anyone think that multicolour precons shouldn't have the battleborn lands in except Wizards?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

This is a blast from the past. Is this a recent addition to the mothership or something?

Made official today/yesterday

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

Hmm. Prof predicted that they were going to change the nature of the planewalker spark to make them legendary creatures instead of a separate type. I imagine that's somewhat plausible. I wonder if this makes that more of less likely.

I think Prof has the right idea (that WotC want to have the face characters be able to be commanders so they're marketing to a larger proportion of the playerbase) but the wrong conclusion - I think it's more likely that the result of MOM will be "non-PW can travel between (certain) planes". That is, rather than change the card type associated with the face characters, change the face characters to ones with a different card type.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

lmao

been thinking about building ivy -- how do you keep track of all the copies of stuff? seems like a total nightmare.

Dry erase tokens like Infinitokens

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Decimate is fun to cast but is the example used for "a spell which targets must have legal targets to be cast" for a reason. It's going to end up stuck in the hand a lot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Archenteron posted:

Lorewise, Baron Sengir led his army through a planar portal right before the Great Mending, so he's somewhere and semi-active

He's been seen since Homelands, though https://scryfall.com/card/cmr/149/sengir-the-dark-baron

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Planechase rules needs all players to bring 10 card planechase decks alongside their regular deck - this isn't how most people play it, who just have all the planes in a big pile in the middle/loaded on a tablet or phone. Know the rules, be less likely to be forced into it because people should feel more awkward if they realise that it's not just a fun "random" thing one player brings.

The regular way of doing it is a more drawn out Momir Vig. I've had fun playing it, but only in a bar where everyone brought their draft decks from earlier in the evening.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 30, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I'd also rather be milled to death than actually be in a game where I actually draw enough of my deck to need 92 other cards

Draw more cards!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Claire D'loon has an effect to turn tokens into cards, so I was wondering about the opposite as an incredibly narrow control spell. Sounds like the Tokening makes intuitive sense but not rules sense

Oh well, thanks!

Claire D'loon is also specifically an unset card

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There is already a way to turn a physical card into a token, for what it's worth - you copy a mutate spell with Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief (or any copy effect that can change targets)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Railing Kill posted:

WUB: Queza, Augur of Agonies (card advantage combo)

It's not particularly high powered, but I've had Good Times running Queza in Raffine (Oskar and Containment Construct work better than Toluz here because it's more predictable value)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Silhouette posted:

At 3MV/3Def it would've been okay

3MV/3Def it's pretty reliably getting flipped on the play on T3 through a potential blocker, that's far too good

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/march-of-the-machine-commander-decklists

Here's some with prices and with the Knights deck. That one seems to have a number of ok reprints at least (Vanquisher's Banner and Adeline, for example)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

The fact that I've never heard of either of those cards makes me suspicious of whether they are, in fact, "ok".

Adeline saw play in Worlds and is worth $10, that counts as a good reprint in my book. It also scales in commander as its trigger is per opponent.

Toshimo posted:

Fabled Passage is a Terramorphic Expanse 90% of the time, and theres a few of those at or around 25¢ already.

90% of games don't have you play a 4th land?

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 4, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dizz posted:

it cut mana crypt and a handful of swords. some people assumed the secret card would be mystic remora because it needs a reprint and we didn't even get that.

Mystic Remora did get a reprint (in a much more widely available product) about a month after the Heads you Win decks actually arrived with people, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'd argue that Vampiric Tutor is an actively bad card to put in a deck if you're a newer brewer, as it can gently caress up your understanding of good deckbuilding (plus, using it "correctly" is often more difficult than it seems)