Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kazzah posted:

Please make a note of the first time someone mentions Spirit Island

Page 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bagrada posted:

Hear me out - Spirit Island 2, now with competitive gaming, where one faction is the spirits trying to chase off the settlers, and the other faction is the settlers trying to build trains around the island.

Maybe there's even a pandemic raging on the island while all this goes down. And that's when a party of adventurers shows up...

Just think of all the minis this kickstarter would sell.

We already have Spirit Island 2.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Koskinator posted:

On the topic of solo gaming recommendations, the BGG solo guild recently wrapped up their annual Top 200 Solo Games poll. It’s a veritable treasure trove of what’s good solo and every interested gamer should be able to get a few good ideas from it.

I'm a little dubious, considering the full list has Commands and Colours: Ancients on it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also, Caylus 1303 should probably replace "regular" Caylus.

Can adjust so it's not as much "build a thing" description, but a some of the original suggestions are basically iterations of the same game (Agricola and A Feast For Odin)?

Caylus 1303 does not replace the original, from what I hear. Also AFFO isn't an iteration on Agricola. You're probably thinking of Caverna.

A bit of non-US input for retailers:

UK: the most reliable and best stocked retailers are GamesQuest and BoardGameGuru. GamesQuest offer free shipping on orders over £50; BGGuru charge varying amounts for shipping depending on whether you want Saturday or morning delivery, but offer discounts on orders above £50 that scale up to a 10% discount on orders of £250.

EU: I haven't heard of anyone with a better rep than Philibert. Shipping is free on orders above €60 in France and €90 in Zone A (the original 12 EU nations); after that it gets complicated.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

manero posted:

Caylus 1303 streamlines Caylus, and it definitely comes out quite a bit lighter than the original. I like 'em both.

I haven't played 1303, but from what I saw of it it stripped out too much. I was willing to go with the consensus opinion on that basis.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bagrada posted:

Judging by my friend who duo'd the whole campaign with his wife then alternately showed it off to me and a couple others, the replay value is in stomping newbies because you remember where everything is and they are still stumbling around trying to figure out which threads to latch onto.

How ingenious, they found a way to add minis to Innovation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Any thoughts on preferred sleeve brands?

Poking around reddit, I see Sleeve Kings and Dragon Shields recommended the most. The former is a lot cheaper, though I'm not sure how big a difference nicer sleeves would make for shuffling. It also appears Dragon Shield doesn't make sleeves for "American" sized cards. I'd like to go for clear sleeves, I like being able to see the card backs, not sure if that makes a difference though.

Dragon Shields do most of their business for Magic cards.

You won't be able to find Swan Panasia sleeves, which is a shame because they're very good and come in almost any size you could imagine plus a few you can't. Failing that, apart from brands that have already been named my recommendation would be Giochi's sleeves. They do most of the standard sizes in both 70 and 120 micron, and they're very good quality. The 120s are pretty thick for a flexible sleeve, but are insanely durable and have a good feel. Giochi do a kickstarter for orders once a year where you pledge for a fixed weight of sleeves and can select your sizes freely. I picked up a 4.5kg pack for €120 a couple of years ago and got over 3000 sleeves for my trouble, but they do smaller sizes down to 1kg. Or you can order the 9.5kg pack for €190 early bird and never buy a sleeve again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Viper915 posted:

Speaking of deckboxes, does anyone make slim deckboxes that would hold a smaller deck and still fit in a board game box? I'm specifically thinking of Concordia, where I got a new map for Christmas, and to fit it all in the box I will need to ditch the insert, but that leaves the cards loose. I mean I guess I could make a DIY tuckbox, but it got me thinking that I have plenty of other games that would benefit from like a 30 or 40 card capacity deckbox that could fit in with all the other components, or that would be perfect for some travel games without a full size 100 card ultrapro taking up a ton of space.

Is this an extra extra map? I have an extra map in Concordia Venus and it fits fine with the insert.

Either way, my Concordia cards are in ziplocks within the box. With the right size of bag the cards can't slip around inside it, and the fit for everything is fairly tight anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

Uh, have you used BGG at all in the past year or so? They've been ridiculously active in curtailing any sort of hateful speech.

It's a fair comment if he hasn't been active. You used to have to go a long way on BGG before action would be taken, unless you were dead set against the idea of a hugbox. The huge expansion of the hobby over the last ten years or so has diluted the grogs and brought in a lot of new people with progressive politics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Tabletop Simulator banning people for saying they are gay or trans in global chat because global chat is to be 'family friendly'

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17kBMorbq59Izsu5gYA1B3pQfbyoaG102_p0pEWZx4Hk/mobilebasic

So mad I forgot to say gently caress THAT poo poo. No more TTS for me

I've left a review explaining this. With your permission, I'll borrow your document and add it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Absolutely!

Done. Unfortunately my review is now hidden until they can verify the link is safe - fair enough - but there's plenty of other people leaving negs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Honestly if they aren't creeps they seem kinda fun.

The genderflipped anime character used as a store logo suggests that boat has already sailed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crackbone posted:

I mean what else do you want from them? It said “we hosed up, our moderation didn’t work, we’re going to rethink what’s going on”.

A genuine response would be to restore the user's GC rights, apologise to them, and then look at the moderation. Taking away Global Chat from everyone is just shifting blame onto the users.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JoeRules posted:

It sounds like Berserk is appropriately working towards a solution based on that 2nd release, so I'm willing to see where they take it - but they've likely got another issue to address directly now that bigots are actively buying/positively reviewing TTS to show support - content warning: https://imgur.com/a/8HWaOzr. So whatever solution they come up with likely needs to include "and if you're a bigoted piece of poo poo that bought our game to spew hateful poo poo, gently caress off, we deleted your review, and we're donating all sales from this weekend to <insert LGBT charity here>."

All bar one of those people has too much time in the software to have only just bought it, so donating their sales to LGBT charities won't help. That gallery also omits the review I reported which came from an open Nazi calling for more bigotry - hopefully because he just had his Steam account deleted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

Stolen from the Trad Gaming Industry thread. It's a thread of TTS alternatives that might come in handy.

Laughing my rear end off at them including a place to play digital Cards Against Humanity, aka Apples to Apples: Casual Bigotry Edition.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hyperborea is really loving good and while I hadn't thought of it in those terms, calling it competitive Mage Knight lite is not the worst description. When the world is sane again I'm dying to try it with the expansion. But not before then, as I'm not dying to try it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Rococo is a bit less than the sum of it's parts. The worker placement, deck building, and area control are good on their own, but they don't synergize. Despite that, it's a fine middle-weight euro. But it could have been more, and there are few games with that sort of theme.

Eh, I thought the systems worked reasonably well together. It really doesn't have anything special to offer, though. It's solid, and if you were new to the hobby and were willing to burn the cash on something beautiful rather than buy two games then I wouldn't quibble with a recommendation for the Deluxe edition. But anyone who already has a decent collection will already own a game that is better than Rococo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rococo and Kanban EV are very different games with different weights. If you're a big Lacerda fan, then pick Kanban. It was the first Lacerda I saw and it scared the poo poo out of me when I saw the board so I never played it, but EV has tidied it all up graphics-wise and the game beneath is quite intuitive once you're familiar with Sandra's movement.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mighty Eris posted:

I mean they’ve been on a hell of a roll for a while so sight unseen purchase seems reasonable, but I’d always heard that a lot of the understandable skittishness they feel about overprinting is due to the bath they took on Duck Dealer.

Duck Dealer has some hilarious jokes in it. My favourite is that you make a cargo hold by combining a telephone box with blue paint. Why? Because as anyone who has seen Doctor Who knows, telephone boxes painted blue are much bigger on the inside.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

I've been recommended duck dealer and need to keep an eye out for a used copy

You UKian? I have a slightly used copy for sale.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Roads & Boats is good, but it really takes far, far too long to play. Where Bus is the distilled essence of Splotter R&B is its maximum bloat.

I'd put Duck Dealer ahead of FCM and R&B, behind Bus and TGZ. It shares the problem of TGZ where you have to recalculate all your plans on the fly based on turn order, which greatly slows down the game. On the other hand, there's much more space to manoeuvre in and the finite number of action turns encourages you not to push for maximum work as you may be better off accelerating game end.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Spiteski posted:

Has anyone played Radlands a few times yet? I had my first play of it at my local meet yesterday and really enjoyed it. Enough I'm thinking of grabbing a copy but wondering if it is going to have much longevity or if it quickly gets stale.

Mayveena is going to be doing a video on it soon, I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Jedit and other fans of Feast for Odin: are you guys privy to the rumours floating around that the Dane's expansion is going to be a stand-alone? The designer posted a vaguely confusing thing the other day and I'm trying to understand if it's a language barrier or not.

I haven't read that yet. Got a link?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mechanically it's very RNG-heavy, but the strategy is built around mitigating RNG. My first game I got crushed by the worst setup possible - it was impossible to win even from before turn 1. My second game I got a lucky combination of layout, starting event and items and I romped to an easy win. I would say that most of the time it will fall between those two extremes, making it tough and unforgiving but still a challenge rather than a ballache. The Feature Films have a lot of imagination in how they use the mechanics and being able to mix and match killers and locations makes for a lot of variety, and production values are high.

I'm very much on the fence as to whether to back S2, though, for the reasons Magnetic North states. The NFTs don't actually concern me too much as VRG at least give them value beyond "ownership" of a JPG, treating them more like ridiculously overcomplicated raffle tickets with owner-only giveaways. However, the reason they started doing them is because AJ Porfirio is a crypto bro on the Ethereum train. There are only two kinds of people in crypto: the scammers and the bagmen. If he's a scammer I don't want him to have my money; if he's a bagman, I can't trust him with my money. So far it seems that the ETH trading is kept separate from the company funds, but we all know how that goes - "I'm just borrowing it, I'll put back twice as much".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Concordia is great and works fine at 2P but it's not a worker placement.

I can see the confusion with the colonists, who need to be on (or rather, between) certain spaces for you to build cities.

One of my favourite WP games is the much underrated Bomarzo. Players have a hand of cards that represent the projects they can build by sending their workers to three of the eight action cards. The action cards represent eight statues in the Bomarzo which are, in the game, idols to ancient gods; leaving offerings to placate a god ensures the success of your project. There are two neat twists: first, each god has an attached victory condition whose value is based on its final position around the board after it is adjusted by the result of a blind bid. Making a bid costs both a worker and a project card and everyone knows you've bid on it, but the value of your bid isn't known. Second, the cost of a god's aid varies based on how many people have given offerings already (first player pays a base cost, others pay the total already given plus one cube, they cost less next turn if not used at all); you're allowed to overpay to shut out other players; and giving the god too much of the wild resource, wine, makes them sated and shuts down the space entirely.

Bomarzo reminds me a lot of Keyflower, except the auction element is replaced by the vying for favours and the in-game information is open while the value of victory conditions is hidden. It's tight, but light enough to be accessible; crunchy, but you can still fit two games into one evening. It also often comes up in Giochix's sales as they try to offload stock - it's full price right now, but it was selling for under €10 at the last two pre-COVID Spiels.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

You can't spell "non-fungible token" without "non-fun".

Or without "giblet", but that's a different matter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mayveena posted:

SA must be SA, that's totally fine. Also I have a question for you all. One of the things that's obvious to me is that some of these board games (KS or not) use way too much plastic. It really irritates me and is kind of why I haven't sworn off of KS entirely. It feels like the extensive use of plastic is worse on the climate than what Kickstarter is doing. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

You are. Excessive use of plastic is bad, but compared to the rampant destruction of crypto it's as nothing. Let's take a typical non-minis game, which might have 600g of plastic components. If just 1% of the run is purchased using Bitcoin, the carbon footprint of processing the transactions will exceed the carbon footprint of manufacturing.

And that's right now - the more people who use crypto, the faster that footprint will grow. Six years ago the BTC footprint was equal to all energy consumption in Iceland. Three years ago, it was equivalent to that of Ireland. Now, it's equivalent to that of Argentina. If it isn't stopped, then by the middle of the decade crypto will use as much energy as the entire United States.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ubik_Lives posted:

I feel like Prada had a point here, because while using a blockchain system is hideously inefficient compared to traditional methods, it's orders of magnitude better than Bitcoin.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. My cited energy cost of the BTC transaction does not include the cost of mining the coin. It is the cost of simply adding one transaction to the blockchain. BTC is the least efficient blockchain only because it is the oldest; ultimately, every blockchain will trend towards the same infinite level of waste because that's how blockchain works.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

armorer posted:

Buy a 3d printer and print/design your own inserts!

Or if you don't fancy that, fall back on the tried and true method of foamcore and a hot glue gun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Back Alley Borks posted:

That may be the first big videogame-IP boardgame that I actually consider backing.

You should try Master of Orion. I keep seeing it really cheap, and it's a good game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Orange DeviI posted:

Cosmic encounter is a bad game mechanics wise, but god is it still my favorite beer and pretzels loving around game. It's so luck based that really anyone can win, and also so overtly luck based that you can not care about losing. It's entirely carried by the aliens, the funny background blurbs, and the stupid bullshit cards though.

Cosmic Encounter is Cockroach Poker: DOAM Edition.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Played my first game of Combo Cone Paradise last night. It's a game of resource collection and order completion, a bit like Splendour but without the snowballing engine builder aspect.

There are three actions in the game: Scoop, Secure and Serve. When you Scoop, you can take up to three ice cream scoops from the row of 4 that are either all the same flavour or all the same brand. Secure is the same as the reserve action in Splendour - you take one of the four orders on display and only you can fill it, plus one rainbow scoop that counts as all flavours and brands. When you Serve, for each cone you have you can play one scoop on any of your cones. Each scoop also has a brand icon, and if you play a scoop of that brand on it you get a combo and can play another scoop for free.

Once you've taken your action you check to see if you can fill any orders and then refill both rows. The game ends when the ice cream deck runs out, upon which everyone gets one more turn to finish orders.

General verdict at the table was that it's a nice fun filler, although you probably shouldn't play at the maximum 5 and it would have helped if the ice cream deck had been shuffled better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crackbone posted:

Thought would be it’s Matagot, it will end up in shops regardless of it you back or not. So why front them the money to find out if it’s good?

Also it's Matagot, the company who tried to start a trend of charging above RRP at Spiel for new releases. So gently caress 'em with a splintered broomstick, it will be cheaper at retail.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frozen Peach posted:

Stonemaier games announced they're remaking Liberatlia.

https://stonemaiergames.com/games/libertalia-winds-of-galecrest/

Not to be mistaken with rereleasing Libertalia.

It appears that technically they are re-releasing it, as they're adding ten new characters and those can be removed when they inevitably turn out to be lovely and unbalanced.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mellifluous posted:

I try to play board games weekly with my family, but it's tough to find a game that everyone likes. My brother has incorrigible AP, so I don't want to bring anything that runs long even with non-AP players, and my mum doesn't like complex rules or turn structures. I prefer low-luck, high-interaction games with straightforward rules (which I get to play with my regular gaming group), but I'm realizing that my AP-prone brother doesn't really share my taste - I think he prefers games that lean a little more multiplayer solitaire so that he can devise and execute some kind of grand strategy with minimal interference. For instance, he looked up Terraforming Mars and thinks it would be fun (I think he likes engine building and finding satisfying combos), but I think his AP would drag it out into a frustratingly long experience. I haven't actually played TfM, so this is just based on what I've read in this thread and seen in videos on BGG.

So, any recommendations for a moderately complex low-interaction game that can be played in about 2 hours or less (including the teach) with 4 players, one of whom has pretty bad AP?

Arboretum.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

!Klams posted:

NO. BAD. AAAGGH.

We've had 8 player games of TWILIGHT IMPERIUM take less time.

This isn't AP. It's a direct illustration of why Terraforming Mars is poo poo. It's an engine builder where building and even running your engine doesn't win or end the game. That means 80% of the game mechanics are totally redundant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

nrook posted:

I always play as if the only result worth anything is first. I think it hurts games if people try to solidify a “strong second” position rather than aiming for first.

However, this does mean that I have a difficult time with games where a player can be knocked out of contention without being able to resign. On some level, the design of such games is unserious for leaving players in that position. Through the Ages deserves a lot of respect for including a way to bow out of a lost game, even if it can lead to some wonky behavior.

I always play for the best position I can get. If I can win, I play to win. If I know I can't win, I play to optimise my final position.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

I also have not played The Red Cathedral but it seems more likely to get traction in this thread.

Red Cathedral is good, yeah. It won't set the world on fire but I'd sit down to it more than once.

Got Alien: Fate of the Nostromo to the table tonight. It's a smooth running, simple cooperative game with an encounter system that makes it hard to quarterback. It's also quick - 45 minutes for three players including setup and teaching, and we only lost about two turns short of completing the final mission. Very satisfied with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dr. Lunchables posted:

How many people got to capture Jonesy?

I enjoyed it when I played it at Gen Con, though I wasn’t sure I needed to own it. If I had unlimited shelf space I would.

Only one, but it did amuse us when the second Jonesy turned up.

I agree on the limited shelf space thing, but as I'm not a Pandemic fan a short light co-op fills an empty slot for me. Plus I like Alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Played Eldritch Horror this weekend. I like Arkham Horror 3ed a lot, thought this would be a different interesting iteration on the idea. But it was just kinda tedious? First of all it's way too long and not paced well. At 5 people after like 4 hours we were not even halfway done.

It's perfectly fine if you didn't like the game or felt it was tedious, but if it was taking you eight hours to play then that's a you problem. I've never had a game of EH last longer than three hours, and that one went to the wire.