Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

was resisting starting this halfway through the year and trying to remember everything I've finished but what the hell. Not in order

1. Inscryption
2. Aperture Desk Job
3. Fights in Tight Spaces
4. Monster Hunter: World
5. Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye
6. Metroid Dread, Dread Mode <4 hour run + all boss rushes
7. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. (Various text adventures from game club)
10. Bassin's Black Bass with Hank Parker
11. Threads of Fate
12. God of War ('18)
13. Cadence of Hyrule + Octavo's Ode
14. Radical Dreamers
15. Super Mario 3D World
16. Bowser's Fury
17. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
18. Donkey Kong Country (original)
19. Link's Awakening remake
20. Ace Attorney Chronicles 1+2
21. Paper Mario
22. Kirby Super Star 100%

Not my biggest year ever but I had forgotten how much time I've spent with my Switch this year. Switch ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

23. Castle of Illusion

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

24. Quackshot

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

25. Deep Fear

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

26. Time Crisis 2
27. The Simpsons (Arcade)

Somebody mentioning Time Crisis reminded me I just beat these on their cabinets a few weeks back.

Time Crisis is probably my all-time favorite lightgun game series. 2 has a ton of super fun set pieces and rarely feels unfair, especially after I realized that dudes in red always fire accurately right away after appearing. Still took a lot of continues. Super fun, absolutely holds up

Simpsons is also a lot of fun, but didn't quite live up to my memories as a kid. Could use a wider variety of enemies and some of the bosses feel pretty unfair, especially towards the end, but as a more seasoned gamer I was able to appreciate how well a lot of non-boss stuff (traps, etc) is telegraphed. Marge is OP with her long reach

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

ty garlic bread

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

40) Bayonetta 2 (All Platinum Awards, All Umbran Tears of Blood and Rodin Beat with Bayonetta, Jeanne and Rosa) - No Item Use

Aside from Metal Gear July, this has been my big gaming project while I've been without a PC. 12 playthroughs across the last couple of months in anticipation of Bayo 3 next month. Finished just in time too, I'll have a PC again friday unless it shows up doa

I love this game, I wouldn't have played it so much if I didn't. But there are definitely some issues. Umbran Climax is cool at first, but it completely monopolizes the magic gauge on the lower three difficulties and its almost useless on infinite, except with Rosa where it's still crazy good. Torture Attacks and tetsuzanko just feel like wastes of magic, the only other thing I used magic for aside from UC is Umbran Spear. The magic and combo scoring systems were a lot better in Bayo 1. The Lumen Sage, in all 5 of his incarnations on the hardest difficulty, is complete AIDS blood that's impossible to react to. Certain enemies like Sloth and the flame swordsman horse angel aren't very fun to fight, and the flying boss fights are all very samey and uninteresting. Thank god for the Chain Chomp for those latter two but there's no helping the Lumen Sage, he's just too ridiculous. He's the number 1 reason I played through with all three characters instead of just going for Pure Platinum with just Bayonetta, I just don't think I could do it without items or obvious cheese like the bracelet of time, which I only really used on Rodin. Rodin is just insane, especially phase 2 where goes nuts and attacks so fast that you can't react, you have to dodge proactively. Absurd fight with Jeanne.

All that said I still really enjoyed myself. The game is just plain fun to play and replay. The moveset for Love is Blue just feels so good to get good with, and other weapons like the chainsaws, chain chomp, bow and scythe are a lot of fun too. There are a crazy amount of enemy types since they included nearly every enemy from Bayo 1 along with tons and tons of new ones. Dodge Offset/Charge modifiers are such satisfying mechanics to learn. Tag Climax is one of my favorite co-op multiplayer things, I played it a crazy amount on Wii U but there aren't really that many people still playing on switch lol. Really hope 3 has multiplayer too

I can't wait for Bayonetta 3. While Bayonetta 2 really feels like a pure sequel to 1, 3 looks like something completely new and interesting. Based on the footage that's been shown it seems like they're going back to the way the combo scoring system works in 1 with some new additions, and while something similar to Umbran Climax is in, it seems like it not only has its own separate gauge but is also used for single big moves rather than updating your whole moveset with screen filling moves. Just a few more weeks...

Rest easy, hero.

wow, grats.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

28. D/Generation

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

29. Yakuza 0 - Normal difficulty, completed all Business objectives and Substories

This was my first game in the series, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing more. So many amazing moments packed into one game.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

30. Nightshade (NES)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

31. Resident Evil VII, Normal difficulty

I absolutely loved this game. It was gruesome and scary, loved the tight squeeze areas, the tension was good, boss fights were awesome. The house was a lot of fun to explore, too. I could have used more variety in non-boss enemies, but all in all it's a small complaint.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

32. Luigi's Mansion 3, A rank, all gems and boos

What a fun game! I feel like it started a little bit slow in the normal hotel area, but from the castle level on I was in love. Game did a great job of laying breadcrumbs towards most of the gems, but still requiring me to be observant and making me feel smart when I found them. The combat with regular ghosts got a little old towards the end of the game, but the level design and exploration, and most of the boss fights, kept things varied and interesting. There were quite a few moments that were just pure fun, like the movie studio level, the pyramid level, and the disco. Basically, just a great time front to back. Highly recommend. I bet it would be really fun co-op, too.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

symbolic posted:

did collecting all the boos count toward anything beyond rank? i completely dipped from catching any after the first one and it didn't seem like it

If you get them all you unlock an alternate flashlight with a boo face instead of just the white circle. Otherwise, no. I just had fun catching them, lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

the point of the money hunt, other than that it's just fun to vacuum up everything to find cash, is how many fun little surprises are hidden everywhere. The point is it makes you want to explore and push stuff around and be delighted. Saying there's no point in it misses the point of the whole game imo

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

33. Resident Evil: Dead Aim

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

34. TimeSplitters: Future Perfect

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

35. Celeste - farewell complete, all red strawberries, 14 gold strawberries + the moonberry

Incredible game. One of my top platformers ever. The movement is perfect, stage design is tight, the learning curve is good and the challenges are fun.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

sourdough posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - really good, even with the silly script change. I do like Tactics Ogre better, partly because I liked the plot and characters better and you get to use more units in battle, and partly because FFT having no progression gating on jobs/abilities means I can't resist grinding for a bit early and then for the last like 1/4 of the game having the same set jobs and no new abilities to learn. SRPGs rule, I'm glad they're getting a little more popular again.

FFT is probably a top 10 for me but I haven't played WotL. Need to try it at some point. Cheers on the win :cheers:

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

36. The Typing of the Dead

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

37. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (100%)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Story wise i got into the secret escape shuttle by unintentionally abusing some physics instead of extending the walkway. So super early on I knew I was experiencing something fake for sure. Didn’t change how much I liked the narrative or writing though.

lol I did this also

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I thought the same about Prey and agree that Dishonored kicks rear end

:hai:

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Billie Lurk is a death stranding character that doesn't like to post

lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

13 Sentinels wasn't on my radar at all but I will probably pick it up at some point based on what people are saying here.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

38. Wario Land 4 - Hard, all CDs and boss treasures

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Frenz posted:

Aladdin (SNES) - pretty good but it feels like it's missing a stage and needs more bosses. the controls are also kind of weird

this is the first game I ever beat. Remember taking it to show and tell at school afterwards lol. Good memories

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

edit: my dad was a big gamer when I was a kid so I beat a lot of games in the sense that I would boot up his 'nearly completed' game files and just do the final portion of the game, but I don't count those as they aren't start-to-finish.

Dad-provided SP Version games

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

If Leon moved to Lego City instead of Raccoon...

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

29. Hotel Transylvania 3DS - 3/5 Family Stories Completed, the Target in Pickneyville, IL lost power and the kiosk stopped functioning before I could unlock the True Final Boss.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

39. Dragon Quest (Switch)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

40. The Wonderful 101 (Normal).

Amazing game. So much fun in the design, characters, dialogue. I struggled with some of the mini games where you're e.g. flying ships, but I think they really added to the game with additional variety. This game was clearly made with a lot of love and they had fun making it. There are some enemies that I still don't think I really know how to fight correctly, like some of the fast-moving tigers in the second part of the game. I'm gonna have to come back and try to get better rankings on some of the missions, find more of the secrets in the future. Loved it.

Arch Nemesis fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 22, 2022

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

How many wonderful ones did you end up with?

Ended up at 74.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

100)Spring Falls

I was hoping that my 100th game would be something big or interesting, but nope, just a relaxing little puzzle game. It was a nice experience, a solid B. Reminded me a lot of Wetris or Aqua Aqua.

Grats! It's a big achievement.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

41. Dragon Quest II (Switch)

Really enjoying this series. Looking forward to playing the rest of them.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Oops. Quote not edit

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Aston posted:

24. CrossCode

This has taken me a long time to finish even though I really enjoyed it - I broke off my playthrough a bit over halfway through when Elden Ring came out, and only came back to it recently.

I found out about this from a Razbuten video about "indie games that you might not have tried", having never heard of it before, and I agree with his review that it's crazy this game isn't talked about in the same way as the other indie darlings like Undertale or Braid or whatever. It's a top-down sort of zelda/rpg hybrid but both the combat and the puzzles were pushed to their absolute limit - most of the enemies are sort of mini puzzles in that there's a certain way to break their defence and deal them a lot of damage, and some of them are incredibly inventive with this, and the puzzles (which were the highlight for me) are explorations of a particular mechanic and were mind-bending but never felt unfair.

I even liked the story, although your mileage may vary - there's a bunch of layers given the set up which is that you're trapped in a MMO, so you're playing through the story of the game you're in, there's a meta story of what's going on with your character, and then there's a sort of side story of the other players you meet along the way. For whatever reason, the experience of making real friendships online really struck a chord with me right after the pandemic, who would have thought. The actual writing was really good as well, I laughed out loud multiple times which is pretty rare for a game.

The only unfortunate part for me was the ending, as there's a "point of no return" which I went through severely underleveled and had to knock the difficulty down a bit to finish, which left a slightly bad taste in my mouth, but other than that I can't say enough positive things about this game. I loved it.

CrossCode was fun. There was a lot to do in every level and the puzzles were pretty good. It was too long for me and I ended up giving up on it when it was going to go off of GamePass along with some other stuff that I wanted to spend time with instead. I don't know how close I was to the end - I found the town with all the people trapped who could never leave and my interest had sort of run out but I had fun with it while I was playing

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Oh yeah.

42. Wario Land Virtual Boy - Normal, all treasures

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

43. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (all slimes, tank masters Ultimate rank)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

That sounds great. I wrote it off originally, but now I'll probably pick it up at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007