Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Tanya anime is generally pretty good but the milhist nerd in me hates the wonton disregard for what would've been technologically possible for 1920's industry to produce. I.e late 1940's tanks appearing in the mid 1920's ala the Panzer III J. The LN/Manga is a lot better with it being grosstraktor/renault analogs.

But otherwise as an Isekai I like how Tanya isn't really an overpowered protagonist; she's got her contemptorary knowledge and general competence and work ethic to give her the edge in the similarly meritocratic bureaucracy of the junker dominated military culture she finds herself in but her ideas when she does give ideas are basically the same concepts similar theorists at the time proposed like Heinz Guderian just to a slightly different context. She's basically cribbing off of someone else's hard work (while also working extremely diligently herself, albeit for selfish self-serving reasons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

homeless snail posted:

they have magic.

Magic isn't a get out of jail free card imho for mistakes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Undertale I hear has some good fanfiction.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have a question is it a head of lettuce or a cob of lettuce?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Stroheim also got an epilogue/eulogy along the lines of "And then he went on to die honourably at Stalingrad."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
We don't know how often he breaks down in the mud due to a bad transmission though or how expensive and overly complicated it is to produce 1 Stroheim :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

Helck is a land of contrasts

You could say has a lot of layers to it; at least 9.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

Started reading through The Apothecary Diaries LN, into the second volume now and I'm really enjoying it. MaoMao's got a very Sherlock Holmes feel to her, with her intense interest in her fields and complete lack of any in others, while she has many of Holmes's skills at deduction, poisons/drugs. I'm glad her and Jinshi have settled in together in vol 2 because the two of them have a great relationship that really fun to follow along.

I'd give this one a good two thumbs up so far.

Please be careful with spoilers because when I last left off with the manga which was ongoing, the event I put in spoiler tags I don't think happened yet? :)

But yes you're exactly right and its a huge appeal to me when reading it; aside form the very pretty art style. It feels like a pretty good Sherlock Holmes adaption except "in China"; although I dunno why, but it also feels like an isekai to me. Maomao's thought processes feel very contemporary to me; and its also never really specified afaik in the manga anyways, which era of China it takes place in, so it could be a fantasy China for all I know; which is cool. It has layers.

I think the most clear and interesting Holmes comparison is her addiction is very Holmes/House-like.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh I don't mean that they're "in a relationship" just that the interactions they have are really fun. IE that the relationship they've developed with the sort of disdain Maomao has for Jinshi while Jinshi finds her appealing as the only woman not beguiled by his good looks is fun, not that they're dating.

Ah! Okay I misinterpreted, thanks for clarifying. :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I liked Dexter a lot back when it seemed like the closest thing to spiritually like a live action Death Note; where you had a murderer using his wits and guile to stay ahead of the police department he worked in and the investigators they brought in to try to track him down. I fell off of it when it started to stop being about cat and mouse games.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mix. posted:

make me a mod. my first decree is that everyone will have to watch kaiji :smugdog:

Clearly the winner of the Bog Pachinko machine becomes mod.

drat I really want a new season. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was literally just thinking this morning while exercising that I'd be up for a Nier anime. I think from what little I know (as I only played a bit of Automata and I'm currently watching a LP of Replicant) and was wondering what studio I'd most like to do it. I think Shaft could do a good job? I feel like you want a studio that's used to being artistically "weird".

Fluffdaddy is clearly just buying themselves 30 days to enjoy their million dollars away from the death snail.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If its okay to apply to batman comics I'm sure its also okay to apply it to anime/manga.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Black Stones posted:

I watch something from my collection when I go for a run on my treadmill and right now I’m re-watching Crest/Banner of the Stars and man this stuff is so good. I love this kind of Sci-Fi where the characters are like “hey were in a spaceship and only got hit by a tiny bit of a space mine and now we’re all sorts of messed up” because it just adds that much more tension to the battles. I can’t wait for the paperback collections to get beyond the anime material.

Oh yeah I remember that one, never got to finish it though. If you're interested in something similar there's also "Starship Operators" especially if you happened to have liked The Expanse.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tales of Woe posted:

i think its a telephone game thing where some people tried to use it to describe what evangelion is doing, and then a bunch of nerds with an even worse understanding of the term latched onto it and used it increasingly wrongly to mean anything that's a subversive or horror-y take on its genre.

I think to be fair, its being widely used as a catch all for any work that seems to be scrutinizing the commonly used tropes and setting conveniences of the genre it is a part of. This doesn't have to be particularly thorough or encompassing for it to be applicable. A particular work being a darker/grimmer example tends to overlap with being labelled/considered to be a deconstruction because often that's what happens when you take a fantastical setting and make it more "realistic", because such things would be horrifying if it was real. Kids being forced to fight giant robot battles to save humanity would be horrifying if it came to that; people having superpowers and society being forced to take a backseat would also be horrifying if it actually existed; aliens invading regularly would also be probably pretty horrifying if it happened; children given vast magical powers and responsibilities by a morally questionable source to fight literal demons would also be pretty horrifying if it happened in real life. That's why 'deconstruction' media works tends to find itself in the "dark and edgy" bin and why people sometimes are overeager to label a dark and edgy work as deconstruction.

Additionally, words/meanings are malleable and subject to change; see there being a "conventional"/popular meaning of term, and its academic/philosophical/theological definition. So literature/media analysis/criticism can have their version of the term as it makes sense to contextualize and discuss modern works, and ivory tower nerds can have their version of the term. :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

Thank you for the long post about things that aren’t deconstruction.

Not sure what you mean. It's very clearly the context in which people use the term to discuss popular culture; hence it has a valid meaning in that context.

e: https://www.britannica.com/topic/deconstruction

quote:

In popular usage the term has come to mean a critical dismantling of tradition and traditional modes of thought.

Seems clear cut to me.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 8, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I. M. Gei posted:

when did anime become a thing hot sexy people like?

Wasn't this always the case since at least EVA cosplay started appearing at conventions?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Idk, I feel like the character development Kuroki goes through has the weight that it does because of the chapters preceding it. At least in my experience reading it. Yeah watamote needs more attention!

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 9, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
However a Strixhaven game... That could be cool.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Death of the author exists to let people detach the author from the personal ineffable meaning they derived from those works. Personally though I wish there was a better magic school of adventure IP so I wouldn't have to think about them; preferably in anime form that I could glom onto instead (no sadly LWA didn't quite for it for me).

I never really liked how House Slytherin was written coming from Dragonlance and the Black Robe wizards who are like similar conceptually but so much better and more nuanced.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

El Burbo posted:

[Mah - hoot - o - koh - ro]

I guess Japan won the Mage War in JKR's timeline?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm looking forward to RWBY that's able to fully meet its potential. :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pentyne posted:

something something Monty Oum's original vision? Not really too much there. RT said he had written 10 seasons worth of stuff but based on the pacing early on, that's like 2 hours worth of story.

Seems like the entire show was an excuse for his trademark 'amazing' fighting animations, something I never quite understood. All I know is he supposedly forced everyone else to work with an outdated version of Poser (I think, or blender) he was comfortable with and after he died they immediately switched to a modern animation development tool.

Eh not quite; as much as I loved Monty's stuff I'm not pining for some what could have been as it was always flawed, even at the start; but more a recognition that while I also like and enjoy Miles and Kerry in RT content and enjoy their produced content; RWBY was basically an indie garage project with Monty given a budget who grabbed his two closest friends to write RWBY for him to fill in the gaps between his fight scenes. Early RWBY should be contextualized as a collaboration between friends at the request of friends with money (Bernie paying Monty back for his help in Red vs Blue) that happened to get up to Red vs Blue level big.

So you have a story written by people who didn't have a lot of credits to their name before then and who as Hbomb notes were given an anime watchathon bootcamp by Monty to prepare them*; plus all the problems of a 3D animation project that has to gradually spool up their content creation pipeline that doesn't really manage to find its legs until its 4th volume/season when they run out of content that was made by Monty and are able to write the action scenes to serve the plot and not the other way around.

The poser thing is true IIRC; which again was fine in the context of a smaller project; but not once RWBY's production team was rapidly scaled up; but this afflicts at most like 3 volumes.

So for me its more about the fact that you have experienced story writers with huge coattails who will take all the things that worked about RWBY and polish it into something legitimately great on its own merits without any caveats that you'd normally give a more indie creation.

*Much like how probably one of the worst ways to learn how to draw is to start of by copying anime/manga before learning proper human anatomy; learning how to world build and write a story by watching anime can't be that much better either although probably not as bad as all stories share overlapping elements, tropes, symbols, etc etc etc Jung etc.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 27, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

OnimaruXLR posted:

the only difference between RWBY and weird randomly high quality MMD Touhou fight videos you find on Youtube is that the latter don't insult your intelligence with bad voice acting or writing or a typically battle manga-y ever-inflating cast of extraneous characters

The randomly high quality MMD Touhou fight video thing if its the one I think it is uses Blender. I think its understandable that cool fight scenes have some difficulty providing things like pathos, catharsis, character development, plot, and other things that go into a story. People enjoy stories and an overarching episode series promises more of a story than rewatching the RWBY "Red" trailer over and over; and will take a flawed execution of an attempt to tell a story over a single well executed fight scene that doesn't.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

you are not an authority about learning how to write. you are a great authority on the opposite, pedantic rear end overly wordy and self-obsessed nerd poo poo. you are boring and obnoxious and im gonna compress you into a 1 cm3 cube

Weird.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Elephant Parade posted:

Anime bootcamp seems like a reasonable way to prepare for a shounen pastiche. I don't think the thing that ruined RWBY's story was the writers watching eight episodes of Naruto

I think hbomb describes it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fdKWOHrdE&t=5468s (link should be to the timestamp) which to summarize:

1. If you watch a bunch of anime and crib it for notes without understanding why those ideas worked in their context, the end result is not going to be better for it.

2. If you're going to borrow stuff from better shows, you should borrow what actually gave it meaning, and not surface level details that seemed cool.

3. By combining all these different elements together without understanding them; you create excess bloat that can introduce plotholes or inconsistent or abortive characterization.

Not that I think "anime bootcamp" "ruined" the writing, which I think was mostly fine for what it is; I just think we're going to see what happens when you give experienced well regarded writers already familiar with anime and with what makes anime stories work the reigns and I'm excited for what they can do with it. If you gave two experienced writers who never encountered anime before the same bootcamp I think you get something without the same flaws for sure.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

I always forget he did Tylor.

Tylor's a lot of fun though it's a bit of a shame the entire story ends in novels that were never officially translated. The show works okay standalone until the OVA.

And the weird "sequel" series from a few years back was just awful.

Just Lucky Tylor? Pretty fun show. Commissar Cain vibes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

His name is Justy Ueki Tylor which yeah is a pun on Just Lucky Tylor.

I also thought that was literally the English localized title for the show for the longest time but googling now I'm not sure where I got that from. :aaa:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Squats are coming back :shobon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't believe you

Apparently its for real!? :D

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

proof or it ain't real

sometimes I think about car mechs wearing nikes and get sad about how bland it ended up being by the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBFgZzYEr-8

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Which anime?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I went and started watching Odd Taxi because I was interested in a spoiler I saw and :tviv:

The show's conceit is executed so well that even vaguely knowing the spoiler it still completely got me by surprise! :aaa:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do people actually bite Popsicles? I intensely dislike hearing the sound it makes in anime.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Julias posted:

Yes. There's something that's more satisfying about chewing on a big chunk of food than just slowly licking/sucking it away. Same thing with lollipops like tootsie roll pops or blow pops, I'd suck them a little to soften them up, but then I'd crunch the whole thing in my mouth.

Mix. posted:

I don't bite it with my teeth because the experience of doing so gives me the willies but if it's melted enough to break loose then yeah

I think it's one thing if its soft like oreo icecream or similar where it's chunky to basically use your gums/lips/tongue to break it up; but using your teeth where it makes that "biting" crushing sound like in anime is where I draw the line. Teeth are not meant to bite into cold things. The willies thing is exactly what I'm talking about except I can feel it whenever I hear it; I hate synthesia. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
But can you tuna fish?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mix. posted:

no i 100% understand that i have a visceral reaction to chalkboard noises or some metal scraping because i feel a like phantom sensation on my teeth and its very bad to experience :stonk:

Thank you!!! There's also something that elicits the feeling of biting a plastic spoon turned sideways but I forget what does that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm sad at what could have been, the nu trilogy was just crippled by a lack of ambition. Say what you will about Lucas and his Protection from Editors enchantment resulting in excessive bloat but at least the prequels were ambitious and had a great sense of epic scope to them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Clarste posted:

The Last Jedi has a lot of flaws but it's also got some interesting ideas, imo. Of course those interesting ideas are also why half the fandom loathes it, and presumably why Disney smashed the 'abort' button so hard that we ended up with the 3rd absolutely trash one.

Yeah the middle one was legitimately the more interesting one even though it was held back by the events of the previous film.

Then of all of the EU to content mine they had to go with "Idk Palpatine comes back?" for the 3rd when they could've done virtually anything else and been better off for it. Have Darth Revan and the Starforge make a return, that's way more plausible. I couldn't take 1,000 Superstardestroyers each armed with a planet killer gun seriously; but the fully restored starforge endlessly able to produce Star Destroyers? That would've been a reasonable high stakes threat.

e: On that note, Rey being the long lost descendent of the Player Character in KOTOR 1/2/the MMO instead would've been better and more fun than being a Palpatine. Maybe actually have it that Revan's genetic memories are locked inside her and she gets captured/turns herself over and turns into Revan and takes over the First Order while a redeemed Ren has to try to succeed where Solo failed and get her to fight it maybe could be kinda neat(er) way of trying to do that kind of plot.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fluffdaddy posted:

Someone better start posting some Star Wars anime.

Will this suffice as tribute? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9GRYa_3gno

dogsicle posted:

honestly i appreciate that even bad movies are simply movies, and will end in 1-3 hrs instead of the current tally of 16 hours of mostly crap i have watched called Gundam SEED

Idk, I liked that at least to me, as my previous foray into Gundam at the time was Gundam Wing, that Gundam Seed seemed to be doing something very different; with the Gundams being more like really advanced prototypes instead of merely being made with a magic metal. It leaned more into my tastes for Clancy style military thriller than Wing did.